PDA

View Full Version : I trimmed 6 inches

Emichiee
May 28th, 2011, 11:40 PM
I shortened my hair quite a bit, but nothing too dramatic. I had a lot of "empty length", where yes, my hair was really long, but the ends so thin that I was not sure if I should count it :hmm:.

Pregnancy hormones have not been too kind to my hair, I have been having splits and breakage (although weirdly my hair is neither dry no does it feel or look damaged really, just dots and splits), which also caused my ends to break off by a bit, and even just a tiny bit is noticeable on thin ends. Also my hair has been growing extremely slow since being pregnant, I even had a stall in the first trimester, which never happened to me.

BUT, I also felt that at this point thigh length does not look good on me. Since the hair loss that ended January 2010, my hair has thickened up a good amount, but not enough to wear thigh length well enough. Maybe when the thickness has grown down more my ends will be more like I would want them, afterall my regrowth is only at about ear to shoulder length so far.

I decided on a whim really, on that day my hair did not even look nice when I combed the ends to be perfectly neat for a picture, there just was not enough of it, so don't be mislead by my stringyness, that actually made it look more like 'ends'...My boyfriend also encouraged me, I can trust his opinion, he loves long hair but it was too transparent even for him who loves a slightly tapered or fairytailed hemline as well.

Anyhow, I went from upper thigh length to tailbone length or maybe it is even best described as mid butt. I trimmed about 6 inches/ 15cm, but in small steps because I was not sure how far I wanted to go, AND hair always looks thinner with thin ends than it actually is. I have taken a picture of each step which helped me decide how much to trim next. I finally stopped at tailbone length with fairly blunt ends. It feels so very different trimmed, I'm sure everyone can imagine.

It was a bit tough for me because last time I trimmed this much at once was 10 years ago. But I feel good about the result :). As of right now I don't have a length goal, although I still like upper thigh length, but I want to focus on my hair thickening up because it is a more positive experience and shows better progress atm. I also want to see how my hair survives the rest of my pregnancy (2 1/2 mths to go!) and of course I dread a post partum shed. Not too worried about my baby taking a toll on my hair, buns are a quite wonderful invention (so much for the "mom cut"...haha, never :p)

Sorry, quite lengthy, but I don't cut my hair every day ;)

Emi

Length cut, before:
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-knLOiNudX7s/TeHIsTzCjfI/AAAAAAAAJdo/2uxFyMrs3MQ/s800/IMG_0466.JPGhttps://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-ENjLmyHmMD0/TeHIsZqQPUI/AAAAAAAAJds/H6UjfGn61Tg/s800/IMG_0664.JPG

Steps:
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-7HEWqd1dVg4/TeHItOw_JBI/AAAAAAAAJeI/9wvlDqPeaZk/s800/trim.jpg
You can see my baby bump from behind lol...

Before and after/ Comparison with after the shed:
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-21Bp8DHwWNM/TeHLjQKPioI/AAAAAAAAJeU/zbckYJzRK_s/s800/trim1-1.jpghttps://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-kH9HzbzMTi8/TeHI5eKMkVI/AAAAAAAAJeQ/tqUtof-bj9U/s800/my%252520kami-1.jpg

Kathie
May 28th, 2011, 11:44 PM
That’s a big improvement! Your ends are now at least twice as thick as they were before. And your hair is really very beautiful.

Mesmerise
May 28th, 2011, 11:46 PM
I think you made the right decision! Honestly it doesn't look 6" shorter, but it DOES look a lot thicker at the ends. I mean I can see that you cut a lot off, but overall I'm not left with the impression that you lost a lot of length, because your ends were so thin. Right now your hair looks lovely!!

I hope you enjoy the end of your pregnancy and that you don't get too much post partum shed!

Juneii
May 28th, 2011, 11:49 PM
Looks good Emichiee, your hair is thickening up quickly. Despite the thinner ends your hair is still beautiful!

lillylonghair
May 29th, 2011, 12:14 AM
It looks very lovely! I adore your color and shine. I didn't notice much of a postpartum shed,but a few months after giving birth I had tons of baby hairs all over and my hair has gotten wavier since then.

UltraBella
May 29th, 2011, 12:38 AM
What a huge difference ! You hair looks wonderful :)

Loreley
May 29th, 2011, 02:14 AM
Wow, you are so brave to cut that much! But it looks a lot thicker! :D
And congratulations on the baby! :)

christine1989
May 29th, 2011, 02:30 AM
It is even more stunning after the trim! :) I think 6 inches was the perfect amount and it certianly does not look like that much.

pepperminttea
May 29th, 2011, 02:30 AM
The thickness is slowly but surely catching up! :) I wouldn't be brave enough to cut off so much at once; good for you.

jojo
May 29th, 2011, 03:25 AM
I think your hair looks so much better and a lot thicker. I think you did the right thing in trimming and your length will be back before you know it.

Gabriel
May 29th, 2011, 07:48 AM
Hi! Your hair is always so beautiful. Your trim looks great and even better, makes you feel good with the results. :)

Phexlyn
May 29th, 2011, 08:25 AM
It's lovely to see you back on the boards, Emi! :flower:

I think you did a very good job in doing small steps and not cutting too much at a time. Your ends look so much thicker now, and yes, it's quite a difference going from fairytale to blunt cut ends. I hope you stay well through the rest of your pregnancy, best wishes for you and your family! :)

lacefrost
May 29th, 2011, 08:35 AM
Beautiful! Your hair looks amazing, waay thicker and (to my eyes) longer. Also congrats on your baby!

newbeginning
May 29th, 2011, 08:36 AM
Your hair looks great after the trim.

Lux88
May 29th, 2011, 08:51 AM
it looks a lot better for the trim! i think you made the right decision!

lorelai2012
May 29th, 2011, 08:58 AM
You're right it was definitely empty length and your ends will be happier with all those other buddies keeping them safer!

spidermom
May 29th, 2011, 11:00 AM
I think you did the right thing, too.
Your hair looks gorgeous!

lapushka
May 29th, 2011, 11:43 AM
Even though you had to cut off a lot, compared to last year, it has thickened up beautifully! All worth it, all good. Great progress! :thumbsup:

CrystalStar
May 29th, 2011, 11:44 AM
Wow! The ends of your hair are looking so much thicker.. The trim has really paid off! :)

QueenJoey
May 29th, 2011, 11:50 AM
It looks so healthy. And I wish my hair was as long as yours is even after the trim!

Emichiee
May 29th, 2011, 07:38 PM
Thanks everyone for the positive comments and well wishes! I have not regret it and feel good about maintaining it at that length for a little bit :)

I think you made the right decision! Honestly it doesn't look 6" shorter, but it DOES look a lot thicker at the ends. I mean I can see that you cut a lot off, but overall I'm not left with the impression that you lost a lot of length, because your ends were so thin. Right now your hair looks lovely!!

I hope you enjoy the end of your pregnancy and that you don't get too much post partum shed!

I know, my hair did not even seem that long because the ends were so thin...now that they are more blunt it looks like a full length. The first inches I snipped were also nothing much really...just like a thin strand of hair, not much lost.;)

Even though you had to cut off a lot, compared to last year, it has thickened up beautifully! All worth it, all good. Great progress! :thumbsup:
I noticed the same when I compared it with the picture of the shed. I did not even notice it thickened up that much, but bringing it back to a similar length (2010 was a bit longer) really shows how much thickness has grown down. Almost looks like it did not happen.

And yes, my hair is still really long, after all it used to be my goal length.:D

Slinks
May 30th, 2011, 01:57 AM
I think it looks much better :-)

ETA: congrats with your expected family :-)

spike316
May 30th, 2011, 02:18 AM
It's gorgeous, I can't wait to have long and beautiful hair like that! Congrats on the baby!!

Alvrodul
May 30th, 2011, 04:31 AM
Looks good! The thicker hemline makes your hair look much healthier!:)

Maelyssa
May 30th, 2011, 12:59 PM
The cut really made the ends look thicker. Amazing! I think it was well worth it. And it still looks super long. :D

Darkhorse1
May 30th, 2011, 01:16 PM
Looks great Emi!!!

Fireweed
May 30th, 2011, 01:16 PM
I have always loved your hair and it looks great now to.

bunzfan
May 30th, 2011, 01:32 PM
I've always thought you had lovely hair, but now the wispy ends are gone your hair looks perfect;)

tinti
May 30th, 2011, 01:53 PM
I think you did the right thing! The quantity over quality question is allways a kinda blah and difficult thing, but your hair loks so much better and not to mention thicker now! Thudworthy hair! :thud:

Yozhik
May 30th, 2011, 02:13 PM
Emi, your hair looks beautiful!

Truthfully, I think it looked wonderful before the trim, too, but the cut does give you a gorgeous hemline. :)

Congratulations on your baby! :flowers:

xoxophelia
May 30th, 2011, 02:37 PM
I think your patience is definitely paying off :)

Chamy
May 30th, 2011, 02:51 PM
It looks very good! Im glad that you feel pleased with the result. :flower:

SpeakingEZ
May 30th, 2011, 02:57 PM
Your hair has come such a long way since I first read about what you went through with your hair thinning. I found a video of yours on youtube about you trimming off the ends slowly (it had some gorgeous background music) and I'm so glad this story has a happy ending so quickly! I remember you saying that you had been set back 3 years, yet it only took your hair a year and a half to regain most of the thickness. That's quite an accomplishment!

I hope you don't go through another shed post-partum, but I think you'd be able to handle it, honestly! You met this with great patience and dedication, and now you can celebrate your results.

Lisa R
May 30th, 2011, 07:50 PM
It's so good to see you back! I'm really glad your pregnancy has progressed well and you are nearly at the end:)

I think you hair is GORGEOUS and it looks fantastic with the blunt hemline. It actually looks longer now if that makes sense.

I loved your youtube hair tutorials! Any chance you'll be doing more??!! Pleeeaasssee:)

You are a wonderful example of patience that pays off!

Emichiee
May 30th, 2011, 07:51 PM
Your hair has come such a long way since I first read about what you went through with your hair thinning. I found a video of yours on youtube about you trimming off the ends slowly (it had some gorgeous background music) and I'm so glad this story has a happy ending so quickly! I remember you saying that you had been set back 3 years, yet it only took your hair a year and a half to regain most of the thickness. That's quite an accomplishment!

I hope you don't go through another shed post-partum, but I think you'd be able to handle it, honestly! You met this with great patience and dedication, and now you can celebrate your results.

I know, if I would have cut it then, I might have went for BSL or midback even to have a thick hemline, but waiting and trimming was good to see how well the thickness really moves down.

I did not think it was going to look *that* thick at midbutt and was a bit surprised about the thickening progress as well :)

long&blonde
May 30th, 2011, 07:59 PM
I love your "after" photo! (And I Never seem to like after photos!) Your hair is beautiful. And tailbone is a beautiful length. Congratulations on the bravery that took. I'm betting new length will be so much thicker.

Xandergrammy
May 30th, 2011, 08:39 PM
Emi!!! I didn't know you were expecting! Congratulations! Your hair looks beautiful at any length. The trim looks great.

Nae
May 30th, 2011, 09:20 PM
It is wonderful to see your progress, you have been such a testament to the power of patience. Congrats on the upcoming little one!!

Emichiee
June 2nd, 2011, 12:17 AM
Emi!!! I didn't know you were expecting! Congratulations! Your hair looks beautiful at any length. The trim looks great.
Thank you! You can see bump photos on my farm ville free facebook ;)

It is wonderful to see your progress, you have been such a testament to the power of patience. Congrats on the upcoming little one!!

The power of patience, I like that, thank you :D

Joliebaby
June 2nd, 2011, 07:34 AM
It looks great, and still very long!
Congratulation on the pregnancy! Make sure to take care of yourself and take your supplements :D

I didn't go for the mommy cut either, on the contrary it was very easy to let my hair grow when my daughter was born, I just didn't have the interest and energy to think about my hair so it was benign neglect all the way and suddenly it was longer than ever since I was a kid.
"Big nice hair" my daughter calls it - it was never trouble for us :)

Emerald88
June 2nd, 2011, 10:46 AM
I think it looks wonderful. It really made a big difference in how thick it looks.

DarkChocolate
June 2nd, 2011, 12:48 PM
Your hair looks great after the trim:) Your thickness is definitely catching up:)

JamieLeigh
June 11th, 2011, 12:50 AM
Emi, your hair looks wonderful! I think I've liked a few of your most recent baby bump photos on Facebook, but had not realized you'd had a trim. My opinion is sometimes you just have to let it go, if it's not making you happy...because long or short, that's what your style is all about. What makes you happy when you look in the mirror (or at your behind in photos, as most of us do :D). And your gorgeous hair is still either 'beautifully long' or 'ridiculously long', depending on whom out there you ask. ;)

♥♥♥

Shany
June 11th, 2011, 01:09 AM
Wow, it improved a lot!!! Congrats :)

Emichiee
June 12th, 2011, 03:45 PM
Emi, your hair looks wonderful! I think I've liked a few of your most recent baby bump photos on Facebook, but had not realized you'd had a trim. My opinion is sometimes you just have to let it go, if it's not making you happy...because long or short, that's what your style is all about. What makes you happy when you look in the mirror (or at your behind in photos, as most of us do :D). And your gorgeous hair is still either 'beautifully long' or 'ridiculously long', depending on whom out there you ask. ;)

♥♥♥

I agree, and it seems there is many people that don't even notice it is shorther :shrug: I also feel like the fuller hemline makes it look more like a full length.

prettykitty
June 12th, 2011, 05:19 PM
It still looks crazy beautiful trimmed.

turtlelover
June 12th, 2011, 06:16 PM
I like thick ends, so I think the trimmed hair looks better. :-) Nice!