PDA

View Full Version : Won't all that long hair annoy you/get in the way?

monsterna
May 28th, 2011, 09:47 PM
I hear this all the time when I mention to people (usually family I haven't seen in forever) how long I'm growing my hair. I only tell them after they've said something like "your hair's gotten so long!" or something else about its current length.

I don't understand their response, though. I mean, have they completely forgotten that updos exist?? Why would I work and wait for my hair to grow to waist or hip if I even thought it would bother me in the slightest? And if it DOES get in the way, I can quite easily clip it all back. But to them it seems that the best response to hair getting in the way is to chop it right there.

It's rather annoying. I don't ask them if getting long, fake nails is annoying and gets in the way and doesn't allow you to do the most simplest of tasks without needing another manicure? I don't ask if 8 inch heels annoy people. So why ask a rather dumb question, in my opinion?

Just wondering if anyone else gets this comment about their goal length or current length! What are some of your responses?

gthlvrmx
May 28th, 2011, 09:52 PM
I put it up the way i have been putting it up for last 4 months if you haven't noticed...

Mesmerise
May 28th, 2011, 09:59 PM
Well yeah... I mean... it's easier to move long hair out of the way than it is to move shorter hair out of the way that you can't tie back as well! I've been far more vexed with shorter hair than longer hair!

And as for fingernails... well actually... if someone DOES say that about my hair and they do have fake nails, I'll ask them... cause I personally think long nails are much more annoying :D. Sure they LOOK great... but yeah... I can't wear them without getting really annoyed.

And anyway, the feel of long hair down my back is not the slightest bit annoying, and I can't wait till I feel it down below my waist!

Roseate
May 28th, 2011, 10:01 PM
I don't understand their response, though. I mean, have they completely forgotten that updos exist?

Probably. I get amazed comments from people about any updo other than a messy bun. "Wow, did you do that yourself?"

I think most people don't know how the first thing about updos, so when they think "long hair" they think "hair all over the place all the time". And, TBH, when I had hip-length hair, it did annoy me and get in the way sometimes! I just liked it enough to make the occasional annoyance worth it.

I never mention my hair goals to anyone. Even if they ask how long I plan to grow it, I just say "we'll see" or "until I get tired of it", which is pretty much true.

AspenSong
May 28th, 2011, 10:01 PM
I don't personally get a lot of comments like that I figure for 2 reasons - My hair isn't what I consider "long" yet, and I usually have it up anyway. It's so fine and flyaway that wearing it down for any length of time when I'm out is usually sad and disastrous tangling-city.

But I do know that years back when my hair was tailbone length, I got comments like that a lot and I usually just said no and moved on. No use in arguing or trying to explain to some people. Honestly....I've had every length of hair, from super short to tailbone length, and long hair to ME, is no more work than short hair really. Other than having more of it to care for...

What I don't ever get is why HAIR bothers some people so much? I mean, like you mentioned some people have 5 inch long fingernails and that's not nearly as much of a conversation point or whatever as someone with long hair. Don't get it in general.

BeamingBrunette
May 28th, 2011, 10:03 PM
I agree it's easier to pull long hair out of the way. Plus, it's prettier;)

monsterna
May 28th, 2011, 10:13 PM
Well yeah... I mean... it's easier to move long hair out of the way than it is to move shorter hair out of the way that you can't tie back as well! I've been far more vexed with shorter hair than longer hair!

Exactly. I've had way more annoying hair experiences with short hair that was long enough to get in my face and too short to pull back decently!

I also find it rather amusing that I do seem to get this comment from people with bobs or rather short hair anyway. And they admit that they keep cutting it because "as it grows" it just gets in the way or becomes annoying. Ummm... hello? Maybe it wouldn't be annoying after you pass that awkward stage. So because you haven't taken the time to get past one annoying stage, you jump to the conclusion that it's always going to be annoying to grow it more.... :confused: Then again, I don't make a comment about their hair, because they obviously don't mind keeping it short to avoid that kind of thing. I'm contented to grow my hair out and thankfully it's not in an awkward stage now. :)

Kathie
May 28th, 2011, 10:39 PM
I agree that this sort of comment comes out of lack of knowing how to look after long her or more specifically how to do updos.

jojo
May 29th, 2011, 03:52 AM
People rarely see the length of my hair as its up most of the time.

Carolyn
May 29th, 2011, 06:24 AM
OP, your mistake is in telling them of your hair plans. Stop doing that. If they commented on how long your hair is now, say something like "yes it is! I love it" and then change the subject. If they do ask how long you plan to grow it say something like 'I dunno. I'll know when I get there" and shrug. If they've never had long hair themselves, they can't possibly know all about long hair. The only time I would engage in long hair conversation is with another long hair.

neon-dream
May 29th, 2011, 06:32 AM
I always get this! I also get, have you ever thought of cutting your hair, or what would you do if I cut some of your hair off?
I hate these questions!!

Scarlet_Heart
May 29th, 2011, 06:33 AM
I don't really tell people how long I'm going to grow it, but if I do and they react surprised or whatever I don't take it personally. I don't think the people who ask you if it will get in your way are trying to belittle you; I think they are just curious. So enlighten them, don't get ticked off at them.

Ishje
May 29th, 2011, 06:43 AM
It's rather annoying. I don't ask them if getting long, fake nails is annoying and gets in the way and doesn't allow you to do the most simplest of tasks without needing another manicure?

since I let my nails grow I find many things way more easy, like opening a pack of cookies.
they don't bother me at all. (my nails are natural though, I never go to a nail salon)

and at the same time, since my hair is longer I find it way more easy to put it back.

I think many people with shorter hair don't realize how much you can do with long hair.
very often they tell me that someone can't do anything with long hair, and then when I ask them what they do with their hair they come up with 2 or 3 things.
they are very surprised if I tell them about all the updo's and braids one can wear.

Jadestorm
May 29th, 2011, 06:51 AM
yes, I get that kind of comments a lot from strangers. Not from people that know me because I've had long hair for a really long time. And the amount of times people ask me how I go to the bathroom... :rolleyes: Sometimes it's meant as a joke, but if you get that all the time it's not really funny anymore. But some people seriously don't understand and ask me how I do that and are surprised if I say I hold it up. As if I'm just gonna let it hang in the toilet...:confused:

Phexlyn
May 29th, 2011, 07:18 AM
OP, your mistake is in telling them of your hair plans. Stop doing that. If they commented on how long your hair is now, say something like "yes it is! I love it" and then change the subject. If they do ask how long you plan to grow it say something like 'I dunno. I'll know when I get there" and shrug. If they've never had long hair themselves, they can't possibly know all about long hair. The only time I would engage in long hair conversation is with another long hair.
This. Most people don't even know what to say after you answered their "your hair is so long!" (which I think is stupid in the first place, I mean, I don't run around telling people "your shirt is so red!" or anything similar because it is just obvious) with "yes! I love it".
Also, on no account, tell them how often you (do not) wash your hair. They won't understand. If I can't avoid answering questions like these, I always tell them I'm not allowed to wash it more often because of an extremely sensitive scalp/skin and my doctor prescribed this regimen or something like this ;) Most people do not wish to argue with medical conditions so I get left alone.

LisaButz2001
May 29th, 2011, 07:34 AM
Well, I'm on the other side of this issue. My hair is long enough to sit on and it does get in the way and annoy me, when it's down. I don't want to wear it up all the time, but I also don't want to cut it. It's really cool being able to sit on it, and most of the feedback I get is positive. How do I handle that situation?

Rivanariko
May 29th, 2011, 07:44 AM
I'll usually laugh and say that it does annoy me from time to time (taking 2-3 hours to air dry completely...) but that I still love it. I think when you're in sort of the "middle lengths" of not having REALLY long hair but still long by society's standards, you get more of these comments. I get "Wow! You're hair is so long!" but very rarely "Isn't it going to get in the way?" Because most people can see that I've figured out how to keep it from getting in the way. Something about already having really long hair is more acceptable than growing it out, especially if your answer is updos because "why would you grow it out just to put it up?" Um, because I like it up? And I can't put it up if it's short?

I don't avoid the subject of hair or hair care, but I also don't bring it up. If someone wants to know how I take care of my hair, I'll tell them, and I'll offer advice on growing if they're interested, but I don't give advice unbidden and most people seem to respect that. If they are surprised or weirded out by my routines, I just laugh it off. Not many people are though. Not washing your hair ever day is becoming more and more mainstream. I don't think most of the general public goes a week or two between washes like I do... but I just explain that with longer hair it takes longer for the oils to spread out, so I don't need to wash it as often as they do their shoulder-length hair.

Lunnafindel
May 29th, 2011, 08:54 AM
LisaButz2001, you handle it by keeping it up most of the time. I always have my hair in updos or braided, except on special occasions. Yes, my hair does get EVERYWHERE when it's down, but since it's down so seldom, I like it getting in the way because it reminds me that it's a special occasion and my hair's pretty :)
I say enjoy it, both when it's up and practical and when it's down and beautiful.

monsterna
May 29th, 2011, 09:08 AM
For the record, I'm not ticked off about the comments. I'm not sitting here brewing because of them, I just think they are silly comments and I knew that a lot of people here would understand that and have gotten them before. I just wanted to hear what others had to say about it.

I'll tell people about my hair if they ask, and it's mostly family I haven't seen in a while. I don't see the point in not doing it, as it's simply an answer to a question; a conversation. Nothing they can say will piss me off (short of asking what I'd do if they cut it, as someone mentioned above :shudder: ), it's just something amusing to me when they can't understand something so logical as "hair in way - put up!" over "hair in way - cut into bob!" :p.

EdG
May 29th, 2011, 09:10 AM
Not more than any other body parts get in the way. :D

(Okay, I've never actually replied that way).
Ed

spidermom
May 29th, 2011, 09:47 AM
Yes indeed; it does get in the way and drive me crazy sometimes. I went to pick up my grandson the other day and my hair fell all over him. He was pushing at it, saying "get it off!" But I can put it up, and at least I'm not waking up with my hair scrunched in funny shapes like when it was short.

CrystalStar
May 29th, 2011, 09:49 AM
Long hair does get in the way at times but it's a problem easily solved! It gets in the way no more than a dress when you need the loo! :laugh: People probably just find it hard to imagine having all the hair. :p

HairStickler
May 29th, 2011, 11:21 AM
monsterna, I agree that the people asking are just curious and haven't really thought it through to the obvious conclusion: updos. My hair does get in the way sometimes if I have it down, so I would have to answer, "Yes."

RitaPG
May 29th, 2011, 11:57 AM
Of course it gets in the way! The thing is, most people that never had long hair don't even know how a braid is made. And yes, they always think the longer it gets the harder it is to deal with it.
You should see my college mates, both boys and girls, they are always fascinated when I make a braided bun, even more when I use hairsticks. And a braid with ribbons on it? Never seen before!
8 inch heels and long a** fake nails are more common than long hair, can't blame them for being in the presence of something so rare, can we? :o

selderon
May 29th, 2011, 03:06 PM
I think we ought to cut short-haired folks some slack. Western cultures haven't been big on long hair for awhile now, so it's understandable that most people don't have the first idea how to manage it or what it's like to have really long hair.

If we respond with snark and hostility, we do ourselves a disservice. If we respond with kindness and courtesy, we may win ourselves allies.

Zesty
May 29th, 2011, 03:56 PM
I've gotten lots of "Your hair is so long!" comments for a long time now, actually, even from people who see me every day. Probably because I started growing it out from a pixie, and I'd always had relatively short (above SL) hair before I decided "let's see how long it'll get." I didn't have a goal until recently, and I wouldn't tell people because I'm too shy about things that are important to me. :p But I've never gotten the "won't it get in the way?" comment. I think probably the best response would be to tell them that you'll do updos and have it down around the house or for special occasions (if that's true of you as it is for me). :)

Lianna
May 29th, 2011, 05:00 PM
I'm glad a few people in this thread did say it can be annoying sometimes. I'm not even APL and sometimes just keeping it down is VERY annoying for me. :( (hot and clingy)

Bene
May 29th, 2011, 05:05 PM

Pretty much. Made it bigger because it seems that people don't realize that if you don't like comments about your hair from other people, don't talk about your hair. Don't bring it up. Change the subject. Don't give them the opportunity to discuss it.

About 70% of these "My husband/boyfriend/parents/siblings/friends don't like my hair/long hair/buns/etc" threads happen because the long hair or the long hair in waiting is giving people the opportunity to talk about long hair.

First rule of having long hair is don't talk about having long hair :laugh:

McFearless
May 29th, 2011, 05:09 PM
They don't understand is all. Big breasts get in the way of EVERYTHING. And you can't exactly clip those up now can you. Ermm...well maybe if I make it to 90. We'll see.

Amraann
May 29th, 2011, 05:38 PM
When someone asks if it gets in the way I usually just laugh and tell them the crazy places it gets stuck.

EdG
May 29th, 2011, 06:51 PM
First rule of having long hair is don't talk about having long hair :laugh::thumbsup:
Ed

Nae
May 29th, 2011, 07:08 PM
You could go all Phineas and Ferb on them. If they ask, "Won't all that long hair annoy you/get in the way?" You just look at them and deadpan, "Yes, yes it will." Then smile.

Yeah, my kids are corrupting me, making me watch the Disney channel.

monsterna
May 29th, 2011, 07:09 PM
I don't understand the problem with talking about hair. Even if people don't understand, why just not talk about it if the subject is brought up? If you don't want to, don't; if you do, then why not? It's just conversation with people. Admittedly, it's more fun to have differences with people. When I say it's annoying that someone said something, it doesn't mean I'm deeply offended or depressed about it? It's just a pet peeve. But I like that they told me their thoughts either way. How are we supposed to expect people to come around to the idea of longer hair if we are all hush hush and just allow them to think about it in a closed way? If the subject turns to hair, why not talk about it? I don't really like the thought that the other person is allowed to say whatever they like while I sit back silent and not be allowed to say what I want to. It doesn't matter if what they say is closed minded or "annoying"; I actually like that because it adds something to the convo. :)

Nae
May 29th, 2011, 07:14 PM
They don't understand is all. Big breasts get in the way of EVERYTHING. And you can't exactly clip those up now can you. Ermm...well maybe if I make it to 90. We'll see.

Oh my goodness McFearless! It is so funny; I read that and I thought you mean driving in a car at 90 mph. So then I was getting images of boobies flopping in the wind that would need to be clipped up due to stretching from going too fast.

Then I was like, "Oh duh, 90 years old. Yeah, those babies might need clipped up then." Now that I have completely cracked myself up because I am being so dumb I think I need to go to bed.:o Thanks for the laugh!!

gthlvrmx
May 29th, 2011, 07:24 PM
Pretty much. Made it bigger because it seems that people don't realize that if you don't like comments about your hair from other people, don't talk about your hair. Don't bring it up. Change the subject. Don't give them the opportunity to discuss it.

About 70% of these "My husband/boyfriend/parents/siblings/friends don't like my hair/long hair/buns/etc" threads happen because the long hair or the long hair in waiting is giving people the opportunity to talk about long hair.

Following that :p But i talk too loudly with my friends and i don't really care :p

Madora
May 29th, 2011, 10:32 PM
Hmmm. I'm all for talking about long hair...as long as the listener is interested. If I know that they are not, then it is wasted breath talking about something they couldn't care less about. If they ARE interested, then talk away!

As for "won't all that long hair annoy you/get in the way"...shucks, if you didn't know how to keep your hair from annoying you, why would you put up with it?

And the "getting in the way" thing is too dumb for belief! Honestly, how dumb can people be? There are countless ways to "keep it out of the way"...just by using combs/clips/ponytail holders/barrettes...or by updos!

But most of the people today can't seem to grasp the concept that we are able to care for our hair..and don't have to rely on beauty salons to achieve our beautiful updos!

Chetanlaiho
May 30th, 2011, 07:16 AM

Haha reading the book right now so that made me laugh extra hard xD

I talk about my hair with people because it's something that I spent a lot of time and thought on, a pastime if you will. But I'm fortunate enough to never have had anyone tell me to cut it before xD (in fact those that have seen me with chin-length-ish hair tell me it looks better long ^^).

I do get a lot of 'you put whát in your hair!?' and people who don't get why I spent so much time and energy on it but I've learned to only bring it up with people who can get over food in hair or who spent a lot of time on pastimes themselves ^^

I've pretty much stopped bringing up CO or washing frequencies though, don't like the way people look at me like I'm disgusting for not using shampoo and washing only once a week >_>

Night_Kitten
May 30th, 2011, 07:45 AM
... I don't ask them if getting long, fake nails is annoying and gets in the way and doesn't allow you to do the most simplest of tasks without needing another manicure? I don't ask if 8 inch heels annoy people. So why ask a rather dumb question, in my opinion? ...

From experience - getting fake long nails is VERY annoying at least the first couple of days untill you get used to them and learn how to do stuff without them getting in the way as opposed to real long nails, when you have time to adjust gradually as they grow (that's why my first time of getting fake nails was also the last :p ).
I guess it's the same with hair - those who never had long hair or had long extensions think it's annoying and hard because they iether have no experience or have experienced annoyance after getting the extensions, and do not realise that while the hair grows naturally there's plenty of time to adjust and learn updoes and styles...
Probably because the fake nails and high heels are quite wide-spread theyv'e become "normal", while long hair is not wide-spread and so is unusuall, thus drawing all kinds of :rolleyes: questions originating from lack of knoledge...

agoddess2die4
May 30th, 2011, 04:46 PM
I've never really had comments on length because I've never made it far past BSL, but I have always had people ask me how I can deal with having long hair and comment that it's so much more work than short hair. I always reply that it's actually easier because most short cuts HAVE to be styled everyday or the hair looks bad, but mine can be thrown up in a ponytail or bun in seconds. Sure, if I want to go through the whole, blow-drying, curling, styling thing it can take a while, but normally if I have it down I just put in some mousse when it's damp, scrunch a little, and let it air dry because it always looks better than blow drying. So simple and fast. :)

Mexibeach
May 30th, 2011, 04:48 PM
I hear weird comments like that too. I can never figure out why people care how long my hair is... they are totally free to wear theirs any length they desire!!

CaityBear
May 30th, 2011, 04:59 PM
I get that comment all the time! Or even just at this length asking how I put up with it and not get annoyed. People seem to forget that hair grows slowly. You get used to it as it gets longer and learn how to get it out of the way so it doesn't annoy you. It's not like you just woke up with really long hair and have no idea what to do with it.

jesis
May 30th, 2011, 05:29 PM
My dbf does this. He used to say how he loved long hair on other girls and now that I'm growing mine out and spending all of this extra time on it, he's like "what's the point? it's going to be a lot of work" etc. It irks me!