PDA

View Full Version : "Old Lady Long Hair"

Annibelle
May 28th, 2011, 07:27 PM
I know there are lots of threads that cover this, but I thought that this hair was so beautiful that it deserved its own thread.

Here's Jane Seymour: [ETA: It has been established that this is not Seymour.]

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-eYxvoIYaBKA/Tc6owXz-IqI/AAAAAAAAJwI/XGfOzJmI3f8/s400/old%2Blady%2Blong%2Bhair.jpg

GORGEOUS hair, right? Well, I found the image by Googling "long hair." I saw that the photo was posted on a blog, so decided to see what the blog said about it. As I read through the article, my frown grew. The title of the thread, "Old Lady Long Hair," is what the photo was titled by the blog author.

Here's what the author says about the photo:

"I've always felt like long-haired girls are either these amazing, voluptuous starlet-types, or they're young and cute, or they're models, or they're people like this: [JS photo]. Women who can't just let it go. I like Jane Seymour. She's a good actress and a good artist. But I really think she's too old for long hair. I was so concerned that I was one of these women who can't let their youth go. I'm not in my twenties anymore, folks. I'm not in my teens. I'm not a young little girl. I am a mom. In my mid-thirties."

Too old for long hair? What about hair that undeniably gorgeous? Is she too old to wear beautiful shoes? Too old to wear red? Too old to go swimming? Those are all things "young" women do. (P.S. Since when is mid-thirties old?)

To me, long hair always made most sense on older women (and men!). After all, they've been around long enough to maintain at extreme lengths! But they're "supposed" to chop off part of their body (and yes, I consider it a body part! It's connected! If you pull, it hurts!)???

Then, of course, the author goes on to say that long hair is too difficult to maintain, because you "HAVE" to blowdry, straighten, etc... hehe.

Somehow, the natural is seen as an unnatural attempt at retaining youth... even though JS is keeping her beautiful natural color-- she's not trying to hide anything! She's flaunting it! And she looks wonderful doing it!!!

spidermom
May 28th, 2011, 07:37 PM
It looks lovely. I don't get the idea that long hair is only for the young; it doesn't make any sense to me.

MonaLisa
May 28th, 2011, 07:39 PM
It's b**s**t... I'm sorry, just these things annoy me soo much!

Why do certain people think they have right to 'decide' such a thing...and make it a general rule..

QueenJoey
May 28th, 2011, 07:40 PM
Whatever to whoever commented like that on her picture! Long hair isn't a young thing, or an older thing. It's personal preference. I wish my hair looked like that now (but with the color I have now). When I get to her age, I'll be proud to show off gorgeous hair like that, greys and all.

christine1989
May 28th, 2011, 07:49 PM
I sense some serious jealousy on the part of the author. I think that her hair is beautifully maintained and looks a whole lot better than most "young", short hair that is bleached and straightened to death.

silverjen
May 28th, 2011, 07:52 PM
Oh man oh man I want Jane Seymour's hair!

As for the author of the blog post, I've noticed that people sometimes take their personal opinions and treat them as fact. I've caught myself doing it, a time or two. Sad to say it seems to be a common human trait.

ratgirldjh
May 28th, 2011, 07:55 PM
What's weird is that I always thought it was 'proper' for an older woman to have long hair! My Great Grandmother had very long hair that she wore in a braid wrapped around her head til she died. I remember it was thick and very long.

My Mom has at least waist length silver hair. She also wears it up.

I was taught that you have to have long hair in order to wear up-do's which are 'lady like'.

trillcat
May 28th, 2011, 07:58 PM
How can anyone say long hair has age? I am floored by the pic of Jayne Seymuor.
Her hair is gasp egad beautiful! Stunning, My words make typos.
That is beauty.
Solid white, as mine is turning
Eh what now trill, lol, beauty

Goes into the make no sense, but is on topic
Trill has had way too much wine
Ayone for the hangove
OI! why di
d you do that"
Thread?I need sleep

Oh I am going to have fun when I wake up
What the blazes did I just write?
OOoo dear

Xandergrammy
May 28th, 2011, 08:06 PM
I shudder when I look at some of the hair on the heads of people who I know think I should cut and dye my hair. One woman actually suggested that I get that Brazilian straightening thingie. I dunno. It baffles me too. This woman in the original post has such gorgeous hair. I can't imagine anyone NOT liking it!

selderon
May 28th, 2011, 08:12 PM
I think Jane Seymour looks regal. Absolutely regal. There's nothing dowdy or frumpy about that hair. I totally want to look that good when I'm her age. Shoot, I'd love to look that good NOW!

jojo
May 28th, 2011, 08:13 PM
I never get the older ladies can't have long hair thing either, like if older women wasn't supposed to have long hair it wouldn't grow yeah! I think long hair is one of the most beautiful sights, of course I mean well maintained. I see far more younger people with scraggly long hair which looks awful (not our young uns on here of course :) ).

How somebody wears their hair is entirely their choice and as a 42 year old woman, if I want long hair I will grow it, end of!

Carolyn
May 28th, 2011, 08:18 PM
That's the actress Jane Seymour? The Dr Quinn Jane Seymour? It doesn't look like her face to me. I wasn't aware that she had ever let her hair go silver. I'm confused.

spidermom
May 28th, 2011, 08:25 PM
I don't think it looks like the actress Jane Seymour either.

dulce
May 28th, 2011, 08:31 PM
I also don't think it's the actress,she has long hair but dyes it a brownish red, the last time I saw her on a tv interview a short time ago.But whover" she" is she has GORGEOUS hair!!!So elegant..

dulce
May 28th, 2011, 08:32 PM
Another great long gray hair is Yasminna Rossi,the 50 plus supermodel.

Nae
May 28th, 2011, 08:33 PM
Okay, I agree that the hair in the picture is lovely and no blogger should be making nasty remarks about such pretty locks. (This almost goes without saying. *huggles to the Renegreys*)

I just don't think that is actually Jane Seymour in that picture. For one, it doesn't look anything like her. (At least not the actress I am thinking of, you know, Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman and all that.) The picture of her in this article from today http://www.examiner.com/tabloid-headlines-in-national/jane-seymour-apologizes-for-saying-schwarzenegger-fathered-more-love-children still has her with the brown hair color, even a bit shorter than the long hair in the OP.

I would be shocked if she has gone completely white/grey with no mention of it in the news, she is so famous for her long hair after all. Not that she wouldn't rock some long grey hair but even her fan website shows her with the old hairstyle and it just seems fishy to me. http://www.janeseymour.com/home.htm

I am wondering if the blogger was just bored and making stuff up.

Honestwitness
May 28th, 2011, 09:00 PM
That is not Jane Seymour. I saw that photo on a website where you can purchase stock photos. It's a lovely model for sure, but it's not JS. I saw some other photos of that same woman from different angles and it's definitely not JS.

gthlvrmx
May 28th, 2011, 09:08 PM
I think i might leave a note on her blog.

Madora
May 28th, 2011, 09:13 PM
The lady in the photo has lovely hair!

The person who wrote the article doesn't have a clue about how to care for long hair and is ageist into the bargain! We gray haired folks are not here to decorate your world!

EdG
May 28th, 2011, 09:25 PM
We gray haired folks are not here to decorate your world! That's hilarious - the classic LHC line with a twist. :lol:

She does have gorgeous hair. :)
Ed

easterjoy
May 28th, 2011, 09:33 PM
Sign me up for that hair in my older age!

teela1978
May 28th, 2011, 09:34 PM
Just to clear up the jane seymour thing, on the blog the beautiful long gray hair is posted, then a comment about jane seymour, followed by a picture that is jane seymour. She doesn't ever say who the gray haired woman is.

I disagree with her on her opinions regarding long hair on older women. I think she just got fed up with her long hair and cut it off myeslf. My long hair isn't as style intensive as it sounds like hers was, I might do the same thing if it took too long in the morning. Its interesting that her father seems to be on our side :)

Roseate
May 28th, 2011, 09:39 PM
That's a beautiful photo!

I don't understand the blogger's response at all... "one of these women who can't let their youth go"? Since when is long silver hair youthful? Elegant, beautiful, classic, yes. Youthful, no.

Annibelle
May 28th, 2011, 09:44 PM
Just to clear up the jane seymour thing, on the blog the beautiful long gray hair is posted, then a comment about jane seymour, followed by a picture that is jane seymour. She doesn't ever say who the gray haired woman is.

OOOPS-- I guess I misread the name of the woman! I think I was so agitated by what I was reading that I didn't pay enough attention to that part. ;) Sorry for (unintentionally!) spreading misinformation, all!

teela1978
May 28th, 2011, 09:45 PM
OOOPS-- I guess I misread the name of the woman! I think I was so agitated by what I was reading that I didn't pay enough attention to that part. ;) Sorry for (unintentionally!) spreading misinformation, all!
No worries :) I was just clearing it up as so many people were starting to say "that's not jane seymour!!!" I think it was written in a way that the mistake could easily be made.

gthlvrmx
May 28th, 2011, 09:50 PM
Woops here too, i thought she was mentioning the older woman!
Anyways, i think her natural hair is just fine. I don't know why she was so fussed over it if she could just put it up and forget about it, then her baby wouldn't be able to get it.

AspenSong
May 28th, 2011, 09:53 PM
You know what I find hilarious about the whole "Too old for long hair" thing - is you have people who argue the opposite thing too - that all that long hair makes you look too old and dated. So which is it? Does it age you and make you look old or make you look like you're holding onto looking young? haha.

Simply put. You can't make 98% of people happy. :p

Personally, I'd be glad to be an older woman with lovely hair like that and I hope to be. I think if anything long haired people look like the most ORIGINAL people out there because they know who they are and are committed to something that makes THEM happy. Not chasing fashion and societies ideals. JMO.

DoubleCrowned
May 28th, 2011, 09:57 PM
Let's have a little fun here, and imagine this 30-something blogger aging appropriately as a mom who chopped off her long hair because, after all, she has kids.

If she is saying we must look a certain way at a certain age, will she step into her appropriate old woman hairstyle with her first grandchild in 10 years, maybe? Will she run to the beauty parlor and get the appropriate old-lady frizzy perm like other little old ladies she's seen?

vindo
May 28th, 2011, 10:00 PM
Jane Syemour is an idol, i hope for my hair to be this gorgeous when I am older!

Roseate
May 28th, 2011, 10:08 PM
You know what I find hilarious about the whole "Too old for long hair" thing - is you have people who argue the opposite thing too - that all that long hair makes you look too old and dated. So which is it? Does it age you and make you look old or make you look like you're holding onto looking young? haha.

So true. My mom, now in her 60's, is always asking me if her (APL) hair is making her look old. So now should I tell her no, it's making her look inappropriately young:p?! People are ridiculous sometimes.

Mesmerise
May 28th, 2011, 10:15 PM
That lady in the OP's pic has absolutely beautiful long hair, and so does Jane Seymour! In fact JS looks AMAZING for 60!!! Wow!

But anyway...I'm a mum... I'm in my 30s (LATE 30s no less) and I do not in anyway think that I'm trying to "hold onto my youth" by having long hair (okay, I cover my grays but that's another story :p I sometimes think if it could all go natural at once I'd do it...but the years of growing out don't appeal to me at all!). I think long hair looks fantastic on women of all ages, from young girls right through to ladies in their 80s and beyond!

And while I certainly don't see a majority of long haired older women in my area, they certain do exist... and it's not like an "OMG that old lady has LONG HAIR" either... cause they're common enough that honestly, you don't really think about it. At least I didn't until I got to LHC and then I started paying more attention. Heck I live in a court with 9 houses, and in at least two of those 9 houses there are ladies with BSL to waist length long, gray hair. One is late 40s early 50s, and the other at least mid 60s I'd say (I don't know her well though). Honestly, I never actually thought anything of it until I became a member of this forum!

I also have serious hair envy for another 50-something woman who lives in a country town that I lived in a couple of years ago. Her hair is colored black, but it's sooo thick and beautiful and hangs in a blunt cut to her waist. I never thought it was "weird" that she had such long hair, I just envied the hair!!

I do remember a friend in high school saying that she'd "cut her hair when she turned 30" but I saw her at our high school reunion last year, and she still had her gorgeous thick, 1a, waist length blonde hair! I guess when she hit 30 she no longer thought it was a good idea to cut ;).

elbow chic
May 28th, 2011, 10:22 PM
Whaat? I swear some women have kids and turn thirty and suddenly these scripts start flipping on about what a "mature woman" is supposed to be like.

That picture is AWESOME.

Also: people have no problem with a woman getting a flippy layered cut and color and will compliment her on how youthful it makes her look, but the same woman with long grey hair is the one "hanging onto youth?" Which is it?

Kathie
May 28th, 2011, 10:27 PM
Not the- “you’re a mum you need to cut off your hair argument”. Hopefully, one day that will become a dated thought.
I agree with what a couple of others have said- its like some people, including this author, become sour because they’ve cut off their hair when they reach a certain age. They seem to think if someone else doesn’t follow suit there’s something wrong with them.

Mesmerise
May 28th, 2011, 10:33 PM
What I also wanna know is: how is having long GRAY hair hanging onto youth, when most older ladies chop their hair short and COLOUR it so that it's not its natural colour?

Again I have NO PROBLEM with colouring hair (I do it myself) but it seems the extremely hypocritical to suggest that keeping long hair is holding onto youth, but colouring hair to cover the natural grays that come with age is not.

elbow chic
May 28th, 2011, 10:34 PM
Well, I found the original blog. It sort of got quoted out of context, just a little. Sounds to me like she was ready for a change, and read something Tim Gunn said about how the 30-plus crowd should never have hair longer than shoulder, and that pushed her to get a cut she'd been wanting anyway.

Then she spent a paragraph letting longhairs over age 30 off the hook and saying that if you want to keep your hair you should. (Hey, thanks!)

That all sounds a lot less dramatic than waxing philosophical about the fleeting nature of youthful beauty, though. :laugh: "Accept your matronly dignity... and get an asymmetrical trendy thingee like Aeon Flex."

pepperminttea
May 29th, 2011, 01:50 AM
When the author was building it up to her age, and it turned out to only be mid-thirties, I actually snorted. Mid-thirties is not old!

That snowy white mane is the stuff my hair dreams are made of. :D

Unofficial_Rose
May 29th, 2011, 04:53 AM
"I've always felt like long-haired girls are either these amazing, voluptuous starlet-types, or they're young and cute, or they're models, or they're people like this: [JS photo]. Women who can't just let it go. I like Jane Seymour. She's a good actress and a good artist. But I really think she's too old for long hair. I was so concerned that I was one of these women who can't let their youth go. I'm not in my twenties anymore, folks. I'm not in my teens. I'm not a young little girl. I am a mom. In my mid-thirties."

So because she has cut her hair off, and accepted that she is so very old (in her mid-thirties :rolleyes:) then everyone else should do the same thing. YESS! Let's all be clones, it'll be great. Oh, and she's a "mom". Whatever impact would that have on how you decide to wear your hair? Or does she think non-mothers are allowed to keep their hair a few more years? If so, why? And how many more years of non-motherhood does long hair permit you? :p

Who made her the judge of what you should do at what age? I can never understand such rigidly conventional thinking, personally. So limiting.*

* Oh dear, I seem to be ranting again.

Automne
May 29th, 2011, 07:40 AM
It's gorgeous. She looks very beautiful and elegant. I don't want to pay attention of the stupid comment the author made, she is just jealous!!

Phexlyn
May 29th, 2011, 07:44 AM
What's weird is that I always thought it was 'proper' for an older woman to have long hair! My Great Grandmother had very long hair that she wore in a braid wrapped around her head til she died. I remember it was thick and very long.

My Mom has at least waist length silver hair. She also wears it up.

I was taught that you have to have long hair in order to wear up-do's which are 'lady like'.
I completely agree with this. My great-grandmother had tailbone length hair with fairy-tale ends and she always wore it in a little bun at the nape of her neck - she's the only person in my family to have hair this long and she's my inspiration. I've always dreamt of being a granny with a long grey braid someday, and I have no intention of giving up this dream just because mainstream culture has a different idea of what you're supposed to look like at a certain age.

That said, Jane Seymour looks absolutely magnificent. This is exactly what comes to my mind when in a fairytale there is a woman who is "ageless, appearing old and young at the same time".

metricfuture
May 29th, 2011, 07:45 AM
"Accept your matronly dignity... and get an asymmetrical trendy thingee like Aeon Flex."
This is priceless!

lorelai2012
May 29th, 2011, 08:05 AM
I have to agree. I want to be a wise old grandma with a long silver bun. Bizarrely, my grandma always said she thought old women with long hair looked like witches! She always had short hair when I was a kid, but I guess he hadn't really changed her hair style since the late 60s, still using curlers and 'laquer' till she was in her 80s!

Tuntenut
May 29th, 2011, 08:39 AM
"Can't let it go"? :angry: Waddaya mean "can't let it go"? I'm sorry, but blog post just ticks me off. The woman in the picture is not "clinging on to her youth", but has clearly embraced the natural aging process of her hair and is bloomin' proud of it!

Beautiful does not have an age limit nor an expiration date. Telling women to cut their otherwise gorgeous hair when they hit 30 is like telling Salma Hayek that, sorry hun, but people over 40 just can't be beautiful, so you better go smash your face in with a hammer and just "let it go."

TakeAPotatoChip
May 29th, 2011, 08:47 AM
*Aherm* I do believe someone is taking their own frustrations of not being 'able' to care for long hair any longer because they are so unbelievably busy with their own children & placing their former hassle of 'caring' for it (blow drying, styling, dyeing, w/e else she said) on longhair's as a whole.
Jealous? :|

Gaelle27
May 29th, 2011, 09:54 AM
I would LOVE to be a grandma whith a long silver braid! :joy:
THE PEOLPLE ARE JUST JALOUS she looks wounderful!
:pegasus:

Tiny Octopus
May 29th, 2011, 10:44 AM
Sigh... it's a bit depressing to find out that people think in this way. I'm 51 and I've just joined the forum because I want to grow my hair (I haven't decided how long yet). But I'd be a liar if I said it hadn't crossed my mind that I might be the target of a few "older woman trying to hang on to her youth" comments. I've heard them said often enough about other people.

Surely age should not dictate whether long hair looks good on a person or not? Surely it all depends on the quality of the hair?

The lady in the picture has beautiful hair and I think she looks like a medieval queen.

Babyfine
May 29th, 2011, 10:44 AM
The woman's hair in the photo is gorgeous.
and so is Jane Seymour's.
I love jane Seymour's hair, I don't think it looks like she's hanging on to her youth.
Also, why is growing long hair, a NATURAL process, BTW, "hanging on to one's youth."But things such as coloring,styling, botox, trying to keep your figure, painting your toe-nails, dressing young, ect NOT?

lippleyluv
May 29th, 2011, 10:49 AM
I would like to check out this blog but don't see a link. Can anyone help? I googled "long hair" but I don't see the photo. Thanks.

HA! I found it! Lol, I'm such a slow poke with this stuff.

TrudieCat
May 29th, 2011, 11:29 AM
When the author was building it up to her age, and it turned out to only be mid-thirties, I actually snorted. Mid-thirties is not old!

Yeah, seriously! Sorry, but I can't trust the beauty opinions/advice of people who believe that mid-thirties is old. I mean, maybe several centuries ago.... But that bit in the blog post struck me as just weird and pretty out of touch. :confused:

Becky Safari
May 29th, 2011, 11:32 AM
It seems as if the authoress is frustrated with the natural cycle of "growing up" and "growing old" which could just be some insecurity on the issue. Perhaps she is jealous of women who go against the grain and age in a "different" way than she thinks is "normal". Haters going to hate!

Delila
May 29th, 2011, 02:30 PM
...:laugh: "Accept your matronly dignity... and get an asymmetrical trendy thingee like Aeon Flex."

... This is priceless!

Agreed, this is hilarious!

I think the endlessly conflicted messages we get about our looks and image can really be a nuisance.

At the end of the day, it's up to each of us to decide how we want to present ourselves to the world.

Chetanlaiho
May 29th, 2011, 04:27 PM
Ever since I've been here I started realizing that I very rarely see women over their 40's with long hair, I think it's such a shame >_< (I'd love long gray hair) Today my mother's choir had a performance (most of the members are in their 40's or 50's) and only one of them had shoulder length hair, the rest all had their hair at least several inches shorter (mind you it's a choir of, what 20 women? xD)

I think you're never too old to have any hairstyle, as long as you like it ^_^

RitaPG
May 29th, 2011, 04:56 PM
Yea I read that blog post too, when people say things like "she's too old for long hair/ makeup/ whatever" I can't stop thinking less of such people and see them as stupid sheep. Bitchy? Most definitely, yes. But considering I've been going gray since I was 16, I can't help but wonder if by the time I reach 30 and half of my hair is white, someone will tell me I'm getting old and should cut it off :(
My response will probably be "and how freaking old do you think I am again?"
I want to grow my hair Yasmina Rossi style. To the knees.

1953Diygal
May 29th, 2011, 05:11 PM
That is beauty.

Ayone for the hangove
OI! why di
d you do that"
Thread?I need sleep

OOoo dear

LOL! Trillcat, I think the phrase for that is "PWI" (posting while intoxicated). It's ok. It was a cute post.

Ok..on topic...her hair is GORGEOUS! You'd have to be a total moron not to see that. In fact, when I opened this thread, I had DBF lean over to see this photo and he was in awe! I hope I look like this when my hair goes completely grey.

1953Diygal
May 29th, 2011, 05:13 PM
"Can't let it go"? :angry: Waddaya mean "can't let it go"?"

Yeah, exactly! Especially in our culture where "cougars" are all the rage. Gah. :confused:

PiroskaCicu
May 29th, 2011, 06:31 PM
Wow, when I saw that photograph, I was stunned. Her hair is absolutely beautiful and perfect. I would kill to have such gorgeous hair and I'm only 18!!!

Thanks for sharing. It's sad that the author of the article was saying she's too old for long hair. I say good for her, and it's very inspiring.

Scarlet_Heart
May 29th, 2011, 06:48 PM
Ahhh ha ha ha ha... :misskim: So not only is the writer of the blog a hater, but also an idiot who apparently doesn't even know who Jane Seymore is. Ugh, I'm sorry. It's just that the writer is all "Look at Jane Seymore! I don't like old ladies with long hair like Jane Seymore. :soapbox: Jane Seymore, Jane Seymore, Jane Seymore!"

Oh man. That's classic (but more like waist, *baddum bum*).

Shoga
May 29th, 2011, 07:42 PM
That's really sad on the author's part... Scarlet Heart, your post made me laugh. XD

I LOVE seeing older long haired ladies. Jane's hair is AMAZING. It looks so elegant and mature (quite the opposite of "too old for it"). Several years before I decided to grow out my hair, I was at work on a very humid day. I pray nobody gets offended here, but most of the older ladies had 3" short permed/curled hair and I thought to myself, with the weather frizzing many of them up, the hair reminded me of Q-tips. :o :o Then I saw a lady in her 70's and she had AMAZING white hair in a neat french twist and I thought it was the most elegant look ever. The contrast that day really stood out to me.

I TOTALLY understand how short hair on older women can be convenient, especially with health problems and arthritis. Style-wise though, I see longer hair on older women as being much more attractive and obviously don't think they should cut it because "old people have to have short hair". :D

strangemeow
May 29th, 2011, 10:22 PM
when i get older i hope i have long beautiful grey or white hair too, i thought that picture was great and her hair is pretty. i refuse to have that short poodle hair i see tons of older ladies wearing. my grandma had longish hair, and i remember when i was little i loved braiding it :)

Marianne
May 30th, 2011, 01:14 AM
What I get most annoyed by is when people slap on some pseudo psychological explanation as to why someone isn't doing things their way, the way they think things should be done.

Women with long hair are so obviously clinging on to their youth and can't let things go, are afraid of change, etc? Going with that logic, I could say that women with short hair, or those who change their hair a lot, are afraid to commit to anything, are unreliable and don't know what they want. Except I don't think that, because it's ridiculous.

JulietCapulet
May 30th, 2011, 04:14 AM
I know there are lots of threads that cover this, but I thought that this hair was so beautiful that it deserved its own thread.

Here's Jane Seymour:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-eYxvoIYaBKA/Tc6owXz-IqI/AAAAAAAAJwI/XGfOzJmI3f8/s400/old&#37;2Blady%2Blong%2Bhair.jpg

GORGEOUS hair, right? Well, I found the image by Googling "long hair." I saw that the photo was posted on a blog, so decided to see what the blog said about it. As I read through the article, my frown grew. The title of the thread, "Old Lady Long Hair," is what the photo was titled by the blog author.

Too old for long hair? What about hair that undeniably gorgeous? Is she too old to wear beautiful shoes? Too old to wear red? Too old to go swimming? Those are all things "young" women do. (P.S. Since when is mid-thirties old?)

To me, long hair always made most sense on older women (and men!). After all, they've been around long enough to maintain at extreme lengths! But they're "supposed" to chop off part of their body (and yes, I consider it a body part! It's connected! If you pull, it hurts!)???

Then, of course, the author goes on to say that long hair is too difficult to maintain, because you "HAVE" to blowdry, straighten, etc... hehe.

Somehow, the natural is seen as an unnatural attempt at retaining youth... even though JS is keeping her beautiful natural color-- she's not trying to hide anything! She's flaunting it! And she looks wonderful doing it!!!

I feel sorry that the author feels she is not allowed to be beautiful in her mid thirties. I think that for instance, Penelope Cruz is gorgeous with her long hair as are most latin women who keep their long hair for life.

Ishje
May 30th, 2011, 04:27 AM

I could not agree with this more!
it is weird that people expect that one will cut of his/her hair after a certain age.
I really don't get that.
people writing these sort of blogs annoy me.

her hair is gorgeous, I hope that I will have my hair like that when I reach her age :)

wantlonghair
May 30th, 2011, 08:52 PM
That certainly is very beautiful hair, i think the majority of older women just get their hair cut when they get older because it just seems to be the thing to do, and then someone many years ago began saying long hair makes you look older. i just turned 56 and my hair is bsl and i'm trying to grow it waist length at least. it is an interesing color of brown with white coming in. i think it is so unique and attractive to see older women with long hair. happy hair growing everyone!

RitaPG
May 31st, 2011, 05:08 AM
The worst part is, that haircut actually could've been done nicely and look awesome, but it doesn't :(
I gave myself an Aeon Flux haircut during highschool, and it looked WAY better than that.

Hairth&Home
May 31st, 2011, 07:45 PM
You all have talked my down off the ledge. I was ready to cut my hair today because I was feeling frousy, frumpy and old. Your encouragement and kindness along with the great pics of everyone's hair, especially Carolyn's, reminded me just how much I really do love my long hair no matter what the rest of the world thinks.

Venefica
May 31st, 2011, 07:57 PM
I love the woman in the picture's hair, I am so against the notion that once a woman passes 40 she should not have long hair anymore. Sometimes women 40+ look at my hair and say that they would love long hair but it is to late for them, I tell them to have their hair whatever style they feel like.

The whole women over 40 should have short hair is stupid, it stems from the notion that since older faces then to sag a little then hair that hangs down make you look older. I think it is the opposite way, short hair on women older than 40 make them look older. here is also this silly notion that one should let go of one's youth, why the hell for? If a woman in her 60's 70's heck 100's still fell youthful why should she just sit in a chair an knit? Age is what you feel like, there is no reason why middle aged and older women and men for that matter can not enjoy long hair.

Knittycat
May 31st, 2011, 09:14 PM
Back in the days when they still bled ill people to help reduce 'ill humors', they also thought of hair as a living thing. That's why if you were very ill or having a hard pregnancy, they'd cut your hair. So it was less stress on your body to maintain. (And I think we all can agree that long hair can be a pain to maintain). The same went for old age. As you got older and frailer, you'd cut your hair so you wouldn't be wasting energy on hair.
That practice has continued today, although most people don't remember why old ladies are "supposed" to have short hair. ;)

Charlotte:)
May 31st, 2011, 10:03 PM
That is beauty.

Ayone for the hangove
OI! why di
d you do that"
Thread?I need sleep

OOoo dear

LOL, this just made my day :D

Since when is doing what you want instead of being a slave of the media (which tells us that anybody over the age of twenty should cut their hair short) mean that you "can't let go"? What is wrong with thinking for ourselves and having our own opinions? I wish people would stop taking such silly norms like this for granted.

MagicAndMayhem
May 31st, 2011, 10:22 PM
Lol her loss if she thinks mid-thirties is old.

gibsongirl71
May 31st, 2011, 10:34 PM
My grandmother is 92 and still has long hair. Not super long, just past her shoulders. She is Spanish, but fair skinned and colors her hair a warm blond. It looks lovely with her golden skin. But I will say she does still have thick hair. Her father died at age 98 with a full head of silver hair. So good hair genes on that side. I think as some women get older their hair thins so much they cut it off and get a perm. But as for the author of that article, well that is just their opinion. Seems like there are more women keeping at least shoulder length hair as they age in to their 40-50s.

Sunshineliz
May 31st, 2011, 10:55 PM
You all have talked my down off the ledge. I was ready to cut my hair today because I was feeling frousy, frumpy and old. Your encouragement and kindness along with the great pics of everyone's hair, especially Carolyn's, reminded me just how much I really do love my long hair no matter what the rest of the world thinks.

Glad you got some encouragement. :)

The silvery-haired woman looks wonderful!
I read the blog and it sounds like the woman just likes shorter hair in general since she's always had it shorter until recently. To each their own I suppose, but she didn't have to make such remarks about that lovely silver fox! Or Jane Seymour who is still gorgeous.

And in my own personal opinion, since she has a old photo of her longer hair off to the side of the screen and pictures of her new cut in the blog--her longer hair looked better. And younger for that matter.

owlathena
May 31st, 2011, 11:11 PM
"You HAVE to blowdry/straighten/etc." Those people make me so mad.

tgagurl27
May 31st, 2011, 11:18 PM
Yea she looks gorgeous.. And yea its none of the author's business how people have their hair (long or short).. It annoys me when people comment on others looks.. I was looking at this site the other day and it was "celebrities with bad teeth" and yes there were some that were bad but most of them were nice teeth.. Like they were talking about Kirsten Dunst having horrible teeth it made me feel stink because my teeth are almost identical to hers and I didn't think my teeth were horrible :( people can be mean sometimes

Slinks
May 31st, 2011, 11:29 PM
Yea she looks gorgeous.. And yea its none of the author's business how people have their hair (long or short).. It annoys me when people comment on others looks.. I was looking at this site the other day and it was "celebrities with bad teeth" and yes there were some that were bad but most of them were nice teeth.. Like they were talking about Kirsten Dunst having horrible teeth it made me feel stink because my teeth are almost identical to hers and I didn't think my teeth were horrible :( people can be mean sometimes
uck !! I googled Kirsten to have a looksy .. there is nothing wrong with her teeth !! or her smile .. don't you worry about it, bunch of meanies !! I've been on these let's pick on """"" places and half the time it's like WTF are they on about, there is nothing wrong !!

Elenna
June 1st, 2011, 12:30 AM
I don't think that the people with long, gray or white natural hair are attempting to hold onto their youth. They are just letting their hair grow which doesn't always equal youth.

I'm more interested in the sorceress Fin Raziel in the movie Willow.

Jane Seymour has the time, money and resources to look so good at 60 years. Good for her!

LHScotsman
June 1st, 2011, 01:22 AM
Always amazes me when people say "Too old for long hair". If you go along with that idea you end up with individuality by conformity - which is not individuality at all.

An older woman with good looking well maintained hair looks better than a younger one - as she's usually developed elegance.

sweet*things
June 1st, 2011, 08:59 AM
I think I may have found my first point of contention with Tim Gunn's advice, assuming that blogger quoted him correctly. A chignon or well crafted bun is always stylish.

I have no doubt that I will keep my hair long unless it gets so thin that I have to cut it, or I have some health issue that precludes my being able to take care of my own hair (although IMO a simple braid is easier to maintain and neater looking than a short hairdo that needs constant messing with). Hopefully, I will be a very, very old lady before either of those situations occurs.

HairFaerie
June 1st, 2011, 10:10 AM
I was at a family picnic this past weekend and my sister's sister-in-law is growing her hair longer. She is in her mid 50s and has very thick hair. She dyes it blonde but she had about 2 inches of solid gray growing at the roots. I made the comment "Wow! Your hair has gotten a lot longer since I have seen you. It's very thick and pretty! Are you going to grow it long?" She thanked me and said she will see how long she is going to grow it. I asked her if she was letting her natural gray grow long. She replied "Oh, heck no! I have just been too lazy to do it recently" I told her it would look very nice all gray. She then replied "Oh, no way! I don't want to look like a witch!"

I secretly wanted to ask her why she thought that but I wasn't really in the mood to get into that kind of discussion so I just smiled. Witches come in all shapes, sizes, color, hair lengths, etc!

I am curious as to why some people associate long, gray hair with witches? From cartoons? TV?

RuLueashk
June 1st, 2011, 10:58 AM
I'm in my 50's & growing my hair because I *want* to be the old lady with the renegray braid down my back. I think it looks cool. Or up in a french twist, which I've admired since I was about 5 & only recently learned to create on myself (thanks, http://www.youtube.com/user/4ypn0tica !).

And ironically, I'm finding my BSL hair much easier to maintain than it ever was when cropped short or at chin length.

Sunshineliz
June 1st, 2011, 11:17 AM
I was at a family picnic this past weekend and my sister's sister-in-law is growing her hair longer. She is in her mid 50s and has very thick hair. She dyes it blonde but she had about 2 inches of solid gray growing at the roots. I made the comment "Wow! Your hair has gotten a lot longer since I have seen you. It's very thick and pretty! Are you going to grow it long?" She thanked me and said she will see how long she is going to grow it. I asked her if she was letting her natural gray grow long. She replied "Oh, heck no! I have just been too lazy to do it recently" I told her it would look very nice all gray. She then replied "Oh, no way! I don't want to look like a witch!"

I secretly wanted to ask her why she thought that but I wasn't really in the mood to get into that kind of discussion so I just smiled. Witches come in all shapes, sizes, color, hair lengths, etc!

I am curious as to why some people associate long, gray hair with witches? From cartoons? TV?

Probably both. And from Halloween costumes. While I was trying to deal with my wavy, gray streaked hair the other day, I had a scary flashback to my mother's halloween witch wig. Fortunately, I got over it.

Toadstool
June 1st, 2011, 01:05 PM
my 89 year old grandmother associates long grey hair with witches, and this is from before cartoons and TV. I think it is the archetypal image of the crone.

HairFaerie
June 1st, 2011, 01:15 PM
my 89 year old grandmother associates long grey hair with witches, and this is from before cartoons and TV. I think it is the archetypal image of the crone.

That makes sense.

Then, that poses a second question to my curiosity.....

Why do women cringe and shy away from that? Why wouldn't they want to embrace that power (no matter what religion they are)?

The archetypal crone image is very powerful! Any woman could possess that power if she chose to embrace it. I think it is sad that most people run away from it.

I, for one, am tired of running away from it.

SilvraShadows
June 1st, 2011, 03:10 PM
I'm a baby crone, I guess.

Sunshineliz
June 1st, 2011, 03:15 PM
That makes sense.

Then, that poses a second question to my curiosity.....

Why do women cringe and shy away from that? Why wouldn't they want to embrace that power (no matter what religion they are)?

The archetypal crone image is very powerful! Any woman could possess that power if she chose to embrace it. I think it is sad that most people run away from it.

I, for one, am tired of running away from it.

I think we like it when it symbolizes knowledge and power. And we dislike it when we think of evil, meaness, and simply being ragged and uncared for. Both images can come to mind simply based on stories. You can think Fin Razel from Willow, or you can think of the old witch in the gingerbread house.

Misti
June 1st, 2011, 03:32 PM

The crone is indeed a very, very powerful archetype. I think that's why it scares people. And that very power, and all that it entails is the reason it became a threat to the Powers that Be and so a target for (character) assasination.

In the days of The Burnings (the Spanish Inquisition, and all that) people who caused the establishment trouble were tarred with the "witch" brush and burned at the stake. People feared feminine power--especially in themselvesd - -because it wa *dangerous* to seem too powerful.

In the early days od alopathic medicine, female healers and midwives were again tarred with the "witch" brush, though this time the only subjected to character assasination.

Only since out Mothers decided that if they were to get the vote,m they had to demand it, if they were to be seen as equal partners in ther families they had to demand equality in the workplave, and if they wanted to be equal partners in society, they had to fight for it, only since then and thanks to them, has it again become safe to claim and own our feminine power.

Now, we have to maintain that power, without disempowering our Brothers, who are our rightful partners.
*off my doapbox*:o

Longfellow
June 1st, 2011, 03:50 PM
It's funny how people try (and implore others) to embrace or avoid such-and-such an archetype. The woman's long hair makes her look "immature" or like a "crone" or as if she's "clinging to youth". What if people just took a simpler view? She's making something that's beautiful to her.

Pumpkin
June 1st, 2011, 03:59 PM
Amen Longfellow!! Couldn't have said it better myself!!

HairFaerie
June 1st, 2011, 04:04 PM
It's funny how people try (and implore others) to embrace or avoid such-and-such an archetype. The woman's long hair makes her look "immature" or like a "crone" or as if she's "clinging to youth". What if people just took a simpler view? She's making something that's beautiful to her.

But is there not Power in Beauty?

Slinks
June 1st, 2011, 04:42 PM
I'm in my 50's & growing my hair because I *want* to be the old lady with the renegray braid down my back..

this is me, I'm 46 .. I've NEVER had my hair past BSL, I'm growing my hair long and gray to defy the "rules" and to be me and differant .. :joy:

Xandergrammy
June 1st, 2011, 05:11 PM
I'm a baby crone, I guess.

Me too! (I wish I had your beautiful silver hair, SilvraShadows!)

EtherealOde
June 1st, 2011, 05:41 PM
Well, I found the original blog. It sort of got quoted out of context, just a little. Sounds to me like she was ready for a change, and read something Tim Gunn said about how the 30-plus crowd should never have hair longer than shoulder, and that pushed her to get a cut she'd been wanting anyway.

Then she spent a paragraph letting longhairs over age 30 off the hook and saying that if you want to keep your hair you should. (Hey, thanks!)

That all sounds a lot less dramatic than waxing philosophical about the fleeting nature of youthful beauty, though. :laugh: "Accept your matronly dignity... and get an asymmetrical trendy thingee like Aeon Flex."I've always found it a bit ironic that the main style setters, and the ones who determine what the standards of feminine beauty should be, are usually gay men (no offense intended to gays in general) who think women are not attractive unless they have extreme boyish figures that are bordering on if not actually anorexic, and under age 25. Anything else doesn't exist in their world. I read a story once on a designer who said his clothes were not for any woman over a size 4, because he didn't design clothing for fat women. And not too long ago there was some big fuss being made over a designer who was having his models photoshopped to have unrealistic proportions, with hips as narrow as the model's head and thighs as thin as their arms. I think that secretly (or maybe not such a big secret after all) these men really hate or envy women, and this is how they express it.

I'm in my 50's & growing my hair because I *want* to be the old lady with the renegray braid down my back. I think it looks cool. Or up in a french twist, which I've admired since I was about 5 & only recently learned to create on myself (thanks, http://www.youtube.com/user/4ypn0tica !).

And ironically, I'm finding my BSL hair much easier to maintain than it ever was when cropped short or at chin length.HAH! Me too! I love that I can twist my hair up and clip it with a Ficcare and it looks lovely in a matter of minutes when it sometimes took hours to get my hair looking nice when it was shorter. And I have so many more style options now, which I love.

Sunshineliz
June 1st, 2011, 06:43 PM
I've always found it a bit ironic that the main style setters, and the ones who determine what the standards of feminine beauty should be, are usually gay men (no offense intended to gays in general) who think women are not attractive unless they have extreme boyish figures that are bordering on if not actually anorexic, and under age 25. Anything else doesn't exist in their world. I read a story once on a designer who said his clothes were not for any woman over a size 4, because he didn't design clothing for fat women. And not too long ago there was some big fuss being made over a designer who was having his models photoshopped to have unrealistic proportions, with hips as narrow as the model's head and thighs as thin as their arms. I think that secretly (or maybe not such a big secret after all) these men really hate or envy women, and this is how they express it.

I like to think that designers can put aside their own attractions and find the purely aesthetic beauty in a woman's natural figure, the same way I can find beauty in a woman's form without being attracted to it in the same way I am to men. I like to think this, but sometimes when I see the stick-thin boyish women models and hear that they think anything above a size four is fat, it seems as if most designers (men or women) don't find the female form pleasing. Regardless of one's orientation, I think designers should find the populations they design for at least aesthetically pleasing.

Regardless, I decide for myself what is beautiful. I'll look however I want, long hair or short, fat or thin (who am I kidding, I'll never be extremely thin:p), dresses or pants, it doesn't matter. Be your own beautiful!

x0h_bother
June 1st, 2011, 08:24 PM
Well, no offense intended, but I think the "mommy" older woman haircut is hideous on most people. To each his/her own.

EtherealOde
June 1st, 2011, 08:39 PM
I will never be thin either, though I do wish I was thinner than I am. I know my doctor would be a lot happier if I was thinner, though I am not morbidly obese. And clothes would be much easier to find, for sure! But I just don't follow all of the beauty trends and fashions...my personal tastes just don't run that way. I like to be comfortable and casual in my clothes and shoes, I don't wear much makeup (most of the time I wear none at all) due to allergies, and my hair is part grey and part reddish blonde (growing out the color, YAY!) and I don't use heat styling tools of any sort on my hair. I don't botox, I haven't had anything lifted or peeled, and don't get a fake tan for color.

It isn't because I am letting myself go, on the contrary. I take very good care of my hair and skin, take several supplements and exercise regularly. I eat a very healthy diet, though I do confess to eating more than I need because I enjoy cooking and eating. I don't negatively judge other women who choose to do the things I haven't done in the name of beauty, and am often amazed and sometimes even envious at how wonderful some women look (though sometimes I am also appalled at how horridly fake and overinflated some women look but if they like it then that's really all that matters, my opinion should never be what matters to anyone but me). I've found that over time and with age has come a shift in my priorities, and I've found other things to be more important to me. I suppose maybe some people might think it is because I have become lax in caring about myself and how I look, but it doesn't feel that way to me. My husband tells me I am beautiful, that's all the praise or affirmation I really need. Like Sunshineliz says, I'll be my own beautiful, because it's what makes me happy. :)

jeanniet
June 1st, 2011, 09:01 PM
I see quite a few older women with longer hair around here, and it's really very pretty. Kudos to them for doing what they want!

On a related note, I go to these Foreign Affairs Council lunches with my mom once a month or so because my dad doesn't want to go anymore due to his deafness and dementia issues and my mom doesn't like to go by herself. Just about everyone there is 65+, and most of them are 70s/80s (except me, that is). If my mind starts wandering I look at all the hair in the room, scanning for longhairs. Other than me, there's one woman I see regularly with long hair. Otherwise, it's all the usual short styles. I'm not very good at remembering people, so I'd have a terrible time trying to pick out anyone with a short style, but I do remember the lady with the long silver hair!

JuliaDancer
June 2nd, 2011, 08:32 AM
Dunno if anyone posted this, but look!

http://nymag.com/daily/fashion/2010/07/kristen_mcmenamy_lets_her_long.html

It's from last year, but still, it shows grey is glamorous!

Longfellow
June 2nd, 2011, 01:43 PM
It isn't because I am letting myself go, on the contrary. I take very good care of my hair and skin, take several supplements and exercise regularly. I eat a very healthy diet, though I do confess to eating more than I need because I enjoy cooking and eating. I don't negatively judge other women who choose to do the things I haven't done in the name of beauty, and am often amazed and sometimes even envious at how wonderful some women look (though sometimes I am also appalled at how horridly fake and overinflated some women look but if they like it then that's really all that matters, my opinion should never be what matters to anyone but me). I've found that over time and with age has come a shift in my priorities, and I've found other things to be more important to me. I suppose maybe some people might think it is because I have become lax in caring about myself and how I look, but it doesn't feel that way to me. My husband tells me I am beautiful, that's all the praise or affirmation I really need. Like Sunshineliz says, I'll be my own beautiful, because it's what makes me happy. :)

This is the attitude I'm trying to cultivate in myself. I try to make myself and my world beautiful in my own way, and I appreciate everyone else's attempts to do the same, even if I think it's ugly or not for me. It is difficult to stop judging, but it is natural to empathize with anothers' regard for beauty.

katsrevenge
June 3rd, 2011, 01:05 AM
Ah, the long silver and grey is lovely! We will all be grey one day and I hope to look as nice as they do with those long silvery tresses. And, those who think 'long hair is for the young' only are just missing out..

Safira
June 3rd, 2011, 01:32 AM
I´ve always think that long, silvery hair is beautiful for older women. There´s absolutely no age limit to how long hair can older women have.

I wish my hair is grey, long and beautiful when I´m older.

Firefox7275
June 3rd, 2011, 06:12 AM
I don't think the blogger is jealous, IMO she is a narrow-minded sheep who hasn't bothered to engage her brain before pressing submit. Is it really appropriate for a mother of four to use words like dude and major or have a crisis over hair? Is it more age-appropriate to opt for an asymmetric/ edgy/ crazy cut than accepting your greys? Do mature adults usually believe a celebrity whom they have never met NOR seen their show NOR read their book is wiser than their own father? :rolleyes:

"Tim Gunn is one of the judges on Project Runway. I actually haven't ever seen that show, but I know that he is a fashion guru. Patty says he also has a makeover show. So he knows his stuff, right? One of the things he said in his book is that, if you are over the age of 30, you should not have your hair past your shoulders.

This blew me away. I was like, dude. He knows his stuff. He is an expert at style. I've always had this daydream where I get onto a makeover show, and I sit down with the famous, professional hairdresser-to-the-stars, and the hairdresser gives me THE answer to my hair question - What looks good on me??? And here was Tim Gunn, a professional, the best of the best, giving me this answer - cut it off.
:scissors:
I was so concerned that I was one of these women who can't let their youth go. I'm not in my twenties anymore, folks. I'm not in my teens. I'm not a young little girl. I am a mom. In my mid-thirties.
When I was discussing my hair crisis with my family, my dad was like, "Think of all the beautiful women who are not in their twenties who have long hair. Faith Hill. Elle MacPherson." I said, "Um, but they're Faith Hill. And Elle MacPherson." Am I in this luxurious, famous life? No. Do I have hairdressers that can deal with my hair for me? No. It took me 45 minutes to dry and then straighten or wave my hair every day. And then it got stuff in it, it got in my face, my baby would pull on it.... It just got in my way.
So for the first couple of weeks that I was thinking about it, I was like, "I cannot do something as drastic as Aeon Flux. Maybe a bit of an a-line that hits me mid-neck or so at the shortest." But the more I thought about it, the more I wanted to just go all. the. way. Aeon Flux or bust. I loved the thought of a really major, crazy, choppy a-line. So I printed a bunch of pictures off and took them into a new hairdresser. I picked an edgy-looking place."
Dude, if I had known how hairy my neck is, I would have had her shave it!:"
http://karlennandben.blogspot.com/2011/05/my-hair-razing-experience.html

:brainbleach:

Xandergrammy
June 3rd, 2011, 06:21 AM
Be your own beautiful!

I love this and wish I'd understood this concept 45 years ago! :cloud9:

Caldonia Sun
June 3rd, 2011, 06:40 AM
The blogger looks like Edward Scissorhands did her hair.

Mesmerise
June 3rd, 2011, 07:13 AM
Dunno if anyone posted this, but look!

http://nymag.com/daily/fashion/2010/07/kristen_mcmenamy_lets_her_long.html

It's from last year, but still, it shows grey is glamorous!

Oh yes, she looks lovely now! I never thought she was all that attractive back in the day when she wore her hair short and dark :p now I think she looks amazing!

luluj
June 3rd, 2011, 07:15 AM
It has taken me quite some time to feel comfortable with my long(ish) hair, especially since it is also getting many more silver streaks of late. I have learned, somewhat slowly, to disregard the nay sayers and I am now enjoying my hair so much more. When I get the "you would look twenty years younger if you dyed your hair" comments, I am able to shrug them off. They used to make me doubt myself, not now!;)

GoatLady
June 3rd, 2011, 07:47 AM
You know one of the great things about getting older? You don't give a rat's toenail about what other people think you should do. It's incredibly freeing. This is my life, and my hair. I'll grow it as long as I want and color it any way I choose. Can you tell I'm equally annoyed at those who hint I should just accept my "natural" grays? If you have lovely gray, then good for you. But mine is wiry and yellow and hideous.

Madora
June 3rd, 2011, 08:17 AM
There was a commercial that aired on tv a few years back where an attractive gray haired lady said, matter-of-factly, (paraphrasing here):

"Age only matters if you're a cheese!":heartbeatAmen!

EtherealOde
June 3rd, 2011, 08:18 AM
You know one of the great things about getting older? You don't give a rat's toenail about what other people think you should do. It's incredibly freeing. This is my life, and my hair. I'll grow it as long as I want and color it any way I choose. Can you tell I'm equally annoyed at those who hint I should just accept my "natural" grays? If you have lovely gray, then good for you. But mine is wiry and yellow and hideous.
I quit coloring because I just got tired of having to do it so often. It was dirty and smelly and annoyingly time consuming and I just finally decided to stop it all. But that was me, not you. What other people say to you regarding your looks should always be filtered through what you know to be true about yourself and what you want for yourself. And really, what kind of person gives an uninvited opinion? The height of rudeness, to be sure.

I don't know how lovely my greys will end up being, but I do know that I can do a lot to make it look the best it can be so I am fine with that. Same with you and your hair. What you choose to do in your personal search for what makes you feel happy with yourself and beautiful is what's right for you. Don't let anyone tell you anything different. If they do, remind them with a raised eyebrow that their opinion was neither asked for or welcomed, and perhaps they should go spread their advice somewhere it might be wanted.

GoatLady
June 3rd, 2011, 09:28 AM
What you choose to do in your personal search for what makes you feel happy with yourself and beautiful is what's right for you. Don't let anyone tell you anything different. If they do, remind them with a raised eyebrow that their opinion was neither asked for or welcomed, and perhaps they should go spread their advice somewhere it might be wanted.

Amen, sister.

Sunshineliz
June 3rd, 2011, 09:31 AM
I love this and wish I'd understood this concept 45 years ago! :cloud9:

Thanks XG. I actually had that on a poster on my wall growing up. It had a vase full of red roses with a white daisy in the middle. Then it said "Be your own kind of beautiful." I took that to heart (with occasional lapses.) I wish I still had that poster.

There was a commercial that aired on tv a few years back where an attractive gray haired lady said, matter-of-factly, (paraphrasing here):

"Age only matters if you're a cheese!":heartbeatAmen!

LOL. That seems especially appropriate here on LHC.:cheese:

Elenna
June 4th, 2011, 12:06 AM
....This is my life, and my hair. I'll grow it as long as I want and color it any way I choose. Can you tell I'm equally annoyed at those who hint I should just accept my "natural" grays? If you have lovely gray, then good for you. But mine is wiry and yellow and hideous.

I'm about 70% gray and almost to waist.

Gray hair isn't necessary unlovely. There are shampoos to alleviate the yellow and getting regular small trims help to even out the ends. Wiry hair is bit more harder to work with but gray hair can be lovely with all sorts of textures.

McFearless
June 4th, 2011, 12:24 AM
The blogger looks like Edward Scissorhands did her hair.

I'd let Edward Scissorhands do every part of me.

Xandergrammy
June 4th, 2011, 05:30 AM
It has taken me quite some time to feel comfortable with my long(ish) hair, especially since it is also getting many more silver streaks of late. I have learned, somewhat slowly, to disregard the nay sayers and I am now enjoying my hair so much more. When I get the "you would look twenty years younger if you dyed your hair" comments, I am able to shrug them off. They used to make me doubt myself, not now!;)

luluj, you and your hair are amazing. I'm glad you're able to shrug off the negative comments. I've developed quite a good poker face to go along with my responses of "Why would I want to look the same age as my son?" and "Why on earth would I want to use those chemicals to make my hair straighter? I want my hair to be CURLIER!!" :gabigrin:

luluj
June 4th, 2011, 10:50 AM
luluj, you and your hair are amazing. I'm glad you're able to shrug off the negative comments. I've developed quite a good poker face to go along with my responses of "Why would I want to look the same age as my son?" and "Why on earth would I want to use those chemicals to make my hair straighter? I want my hair to be CURLIER!!" :gabigrin:

:flower: Thank-you, Xandergrammy! You're so clever, I need to come up with some good one-liners;) Oh, and curls certainly do rock!:cheer:

dragonmyst
June 4th, 2011, 12:09 PM
I have found a sprinkling of gray in my hair lately (I will fully blame it on my 17yrn old stepson) and the first thought that went through my head was "GREAT! Once all of it is gray the henna will take so beautifully without having to bleach my hair first!'

yes, my priorities are weird :P

My grandmother, for the last 15n years of her life, stopped cutting and dying her hair, instead letting it grow out. It was almost classic length when she passed beyond in '07.

She was a lady. I hope I will gray as gracefully as she did and embrace it as she did.... tho I really am looking forward to henna over gray :P **hides from renegreys**

Unofficial_Rose
June 4th, 2011, 12:20 PM

:rollin:(additional text bit)

Gabbie
June 4th, 2011, 12:40 PM
I am so glad that I read this today. I have been thinking about cutting my hair but now I don't think I really want to. At 58 my hair has lots of gray and I don't want to color it. It is almost mid back length and I was trying for waist. Now I think I may just keep growing it. I need to find a way of wearing it up that looks good and that is simple enough for me to be able to do. That is why I was thinking about cutting it. I just can't seem to do anything with it. Now I will just keep trying.

luluj
June 4th, 2011, 01:05 PM
I am so glad that I read this today. I have been thinking about cutting my hair but now I don't think I really want to. At 58 my hair has lots of gray and I don't want to color it. It is almost mid back length and I was trying for waist. Now I think I may just keep growing it. I need to find a way of wearing it up that looks good and that is simple enough for me to be able to do. That is why I was thinking about cutting it. I just can't seem to do anything with it. Now I will just keep trying.

I'm glad you read it also, Gabbie, Don't cut your hair, we "mature" girls need to stick together and just "rock" the long silver hair look!:D I like to wear my hair up, it helps to keep the urge to cut under control. Of course this means I need plenty of beautiful hairtoys!;) May I direct your attention to this thread.........http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=47976:disco:

Xandergrammy
June 5th, 2011, 09:38 AM

:gabigrin:

hyettf16
June 5th, 2011, 09:50 AM
She can think what she wants, she has that right. but we don't have to agree.

GlassWidow
June 5th, 2011, 10:11 AM
Jane Seymour has pretty much always had long hair, and it's always been beautifully groomed. If the author of the blog post (and I am offended that she thinks she is "old" because she is in her mid-30's and a mom!!!) thinks long hair is just for the young, then I think she's blind. So many great actresses have had long hair, but haven't necessarily worn it down. I always think of Jessica Tandy and Katherine Hepburn...they both had long hair, but always wore it in elegant updos as they got older, so one might never realize how long the hair was.

I'd also like to say, the last time I saw Jane Seymour (a few hours ago on a commercial, actually) she had dark hair. When the heck did she go gray???? It's beautiful!

Sunshineliz
June 5th, 2011, 11:59 AM
If you check the rest of the thread, you'll see that woman isn't really Jane Seymour. The original blog had a picture of Jane Seymour UNDER the gray-haired woman. They both look great though!

Amber_Maiden
June 6th, 2011, 01:06 PM
When I become "an old lady" I want to have long hair :)

Misti
June 6th, 2011, 02:32 PM
This has me wondering about something, actually.

I think "in your 30s" is definitely way too young to be "an old lady".

But when do *you* think that happens? I don't know what I think, but I am still waiting to feel like an old ladyt with long hair. I know I fit that description by many (most?) people's standards, but *I* don't feel like an old lady yet, nor do I feel like my hair is particularly long yet.

Maybe my definition of "old lady" means "older than I can imagine being right now" and long hair is "longer than I can imagine handling". <heh> That probably means I'll be "a long haired old lady" when I am confined to a wheelchair in a nursing home and need help to rebraid my hair. (And fighting off the "helpers" with scissors who think I'd "look so cute in a pixie." :eek:

Honestwitness
June 6th, 2011, 02:52 PM
For me, I realized I had become an old lady when the following happened:
1. The skin on the back of my upper arms swings loosely back and forth, when I hold my arms away from my body at a 90 degree angle and wag them forward and backward.
2. When I truly do not care if I ever have sex again the rest of my life.
3. When all my doctors, dentists, and psychiatrists are so young-looking they look like little kids.
4. When I no longer care how cute my shoes are, because the only thing that matters about them is they don't cause pain.
5. When I realized I do that thing I always used to despise when old people do it and that is talk about all my physical ailments to anyone who will listen.
6. When I realized I have no idea who all the actors, actresses, singers are that everyone always talks about.
7. When no one I know has any idea who Tony Bennett or Vic Damone were.
8. When I realized I no longer had career aspirations or desires to get training to improve my prospects for promotion, but instead I count the months until I can retire.

So there you have it. I have officially reached old ladyhood!

Misti
June 6th, 2011, 02:58 PM
Fascinating. I can matcgh you on seven of eight points...and yet I don't feel old. My passion for the working world is fading fast, but mainly because it's distracting me from what I want to learn and do in life while I still have the energy. :p

I'm thinking it would be great fun to move to Melbourne or Geelong and open a "grain-free everyday" food stall at the markets. And refine my photography and gardening skills. And get access to The Learning Company cds and expand my mind. And.. well, you get the idea. ;)

<snip>

kitschy
June 6th, 2011, 03:04 PM
1. The skin on the back of my upper arms swings loosely back and forth, when I hold my arms away from my body at a 90 degree angle and wag them forward and backward.
3. When all my doctors, dentists, and psychiatrists are so young-looking they look like little kids.
4. When I no longer care how cute my shoes are, because the only thing that matters about them is they don't cause pain.
5. When I realized I do that thing I always used to despise when old people do it and that is talk about all my physical ailments to anyone who will listen.
6. When I realized I have no idea who all the actors, actresses, singers are that everyone always talks about.
8. When I realized I no longer had career aspirations or desires to get training to improve my prospects for promotion, but instead I count the months until I can retire.

a lot
Congratulations. I'm there too but I'm still a little younger than you! You're just so lucky to be that much closer to retirement than I am. ;)

HairFaerie
June 6th, 2011, 03:13 PM

Oh, my! I meet all but two of these criteria and I am 42! Looks like I am almost there! Hehehehehe! ;)

Honestwitness
June 6th, 2011, 03:46 PM
You know there is a group called the Red Hat Society that celebrates old ladyhood. Count me in.

Annibelle
June 6th, 2011, 06:03 PM
This has me wondering about something, actually.

I think "in your 30s" is definitely way too young to be "an old lady".

But when do *you* think that happens? I don't know what I think, but I am still waiting to feel like an old ladyt with long hair. I know I fit that description by many (most?) people's standards, but *I* don't feel like an old lady yet, nor do I feel like my hair is particularly long yet.

Maybe my definition of "old lady" means "older than I can imagine being right now" and long hair is "longer than I can imagine handling". <heh> That probably means I'll be "a long haired old lady" when I am confined to a wheelchair in a nursing home and need help to rebraid my hair. (And fighting off the "helpers" with scissors who think I'd "look so cute in a pixie." :eek:

I don't consider anyone old until they're at least out of their sixties-- though this depends on the person. People who seem to resign themselves to just existing and little more... they age much more quickly to me. My grandparents got their last kids out of the house when they were in their 40s. They plopped on the couch and stayed there for 30 years. They didn't want to go anywhere, my grandma kept her hair short so she wouldn't have to waste time with it (time she instead spent on the couch...), and they didn't really talk. I think they got "old" as soon as they started that, so in their 40s... but I think that's abnormal. DH is almost 50 and he's no where NEAR old.

CareBear
June 6th, 2011, 06:43 PM
I just read her blog. I guess all I can say is that people are entitled to their opinions. And speaking of opinions, I think her new haircut looks...interesing. And talk about upkeep! She'll be in the salon constantly to keep the style. Hence the popularity of shorter haircuts.
And the gray haired lady totally ROCKS. I can only DREAM that I will gray that beautifully. I wish I knew what color I will be, I was so blonde it was white when I was a kid, now in my 30's it's much darker, kind of a blonde brown. But still have a few strands of those light light blondes. Or maybe they're grays? I just don't know. My mom went gray in high school and my dad only had a few in his 40's when he passed. His were that beautiful sparkling silver. DH has those, and I think they are soooo sexy! ;)

GlassWidow
June 6th, 2011, 09:27 PM
If you check the rest of the thread, you'll see that woman isn't really Jane Seymour. The original blog had a picture of Jane Seymour UNDER the gray-haired woman. They both look great though!

Ah, somehow I missed that as I was skimming with two children hanging on me. Got it now, thanks.

So, "Inspired by Aeon Flux" looked a lot like "Jorga Fox" to me. Not necessarily a bad thing, but not what the blogger was going for, either. I just thought it was interesting.

Sunshineliz
June 6th, 2011, 09:33 PM
Ah, somehow I missed that as I was skimming with two children hanging on me. Got it now, thanks.

LOL--Happens to me all the time!:laugh:

GlassWidow
June 6th, 2011, 09:35 PM
LOL--Happens to me all the time!:laugh:

I'd rather that be my lot in life as a mid-30's momma than matronly hair. ;) :lol:

Elenna
June 7th, 2011, 08:08 AM
The title of this thread irritates me. The beautry industry has a profit motive for getting people to cover the grays. This keeps in business the corporations that manufacture hair products and the beauty salons that style hair. In advertisements, models sporting short dyed hair are portrayed as "young & sexy." So by default, long, natural, undyed hair is considered "old lady & unsexy?" I'm all for being fashionable and pretty. But this totally misses the point that long, graying hair can be fashionable and pretty too.

dulce
June 8th, 2011, 10:32 AM
Ellenna,I couldn't agree more! There's no real money in long hair for the salons/beauty business.No wonder they try to ignore or discredit very long hair and perpetuate the myth long hair is witch- like,unsexy,old,out of fashion.

Sunshineliz
June 8th, 2011, 11:19 AM
I agree with you two wholeheartedly. I've been looking at it, even reading a history on recent beauty culture (I love history) and whatever the beauty industry can make money off of, they promote as beautiful. Anything else is portrayed as ugly, undesirable, and lazy.

kitschy
June 8th, 2011, 12:58 PM
I came across this and LOL'd

~ You know you're getting old When;

You quit trying to hold in your stomach, no matter who walks into the room.

You enjoy watching the news.
The phone rings and you hope it's not for you.

The only reason you're still awake at 4 am is indigestion.

People ask what color your hair USED to be.

You're proud of your lawnmower.

Your best friend is dating someone half their age AND isn't breaking any laws.

You start singing along with the elevator music.

You really do want a new washing machine for your birthday.

Your car or truck has four doors.

You routinely check the oil in your car.

You've owned clothes so long that they've come back into style TWICE.

You no longer think of speed limits as a challenge.

You consider coffee one of the most important things in life.

7 AM is your idea of "sleeping in."

You don't remember when you got that mole...or the one next to it.

You write thank you notes without being told.

Neighbors borrow your tools.

dulce
June 8th, 2011, 02:35 PM
It's sad the power the fashion/beauty industry has on women in general and it's all to make money.We really are pawns .

Madora
June 8th, 2011, 08:52 PM
@Dulce..

Oh, no, we're not pawns..if we decide to go against what "modern" style tells us we must have ("layers", "pixies", or whatever the hotest hair trend is.) Yuck!

Why is it considered so VITAL, so URGENT, that you look like some 20 something..when you'll never see 20 again?

So many people are afraid to "be themselves"..or they want to look like Kim Kardashian..or whoever is considered "hot"..and spend tons of money (and time) trying to achieve the "hot" look..only to fail because they don't have access to the entourage that Kardashian has (you can bet she doesn't do her own hair!)..or they don't have the bone structure..or the shape..etc. etc.) Why can't people realize that the media touts the "in" look to the exclusion of just about everything else..'coz that's where the $$$ is??~!~!!

For those that are interested in that look..fine...but don't tell me I'm "old fashioned" or "behind the times" because I prefer to be me..and to hell with what's "au courrant"!!!

Honestwitness
June 12th, 2011, 09:53 PM
I just discovered a 95-year old actress and model by the name of Mimi Weddell. She's a hoot and so inspirational. I encourage everyone to do a Google search on her and also to do a Youtube search on her name.

Proximity
June 19th, 2011, 02:02 PM
I'm 34 and when I tell younger people my age they think they are comforting me against the horrors of being my age by telling me I don't look 34. That annoys the hell out of me. More often than not I tell them "this is what 34 looks like", and am met with a blank look. Gah! I think these days people are brainwashed to think anyone over 30 is ancient and must therefore be miserable about their age.

Similarly when I go grey and if anyone tells me I am too young to be grey I shall tell them that grey is natural for my age.

Having said that my granny is 84 and still has a lot of her natual black hairs so I might be waiting a while if I have her genes :)

justgreen
October 9th, 2011, 09:14 PM
I'm 24 years old...in my head.

thelittlestdoc
October 9th, 2011, 09:41 PM
I think long hair on older women is really stunning. I remember when Tyne Daly was on Judging Amy and had gorgeous long, silvery hair--saw her on TV recently and now it's only a few inches long! So sad that women are pressured to cut when they get older.

My mother's in her mid-40s and is starting to grow her hair out for the first time now that she's gone completely gray (although her definition of long is somewhere around APL :rolleyes:). She said it's finely healthy since I talked her into giving up the chemical dyes.

Old Lady Long Hair--that's really awful.

WinterButterfly
October 10th, 2011, 01:10 AM
I thought the picture of the grey haired woman was awesome! If I ever go grey I will grow it out to show it off. And I like long hair on lder ladies. I think long hair in neat updos looks regal. I also don't think of 30's as old. And I don't think age has a bearing on hairstyle. Maybe on fishnet stockings though. But I suppose that really depends on how tight your skin is. I always wondered why one of my grandmas always has super short hair. And the other has really long undyed hair. I was actually chatting with my hubby today. I don't know how we got to the subject but he says to me, 'you should try dying your hair grey". I say to him, "I have thought about it, but I've never seen grey hairdye." If I didn't think I would have to cause a lot of bleaching damage first (hair dyed black) I probably would try it if I could figure out how to get it grey. I love shiny silver long hair.

vatikagirl
October 10th, 2011, 01:18 AM
my maternal grandma used to have the most gorgeous hair in the whole world... it was pure white, tb length, slightly 2a-2b iii and she used to wear it in a bun using antique forks.... she looked like a queen. miss u granma....
i wish i have hair like hers when i grow old... :D

duchesswannabe
October 10th, 2011, 04:17 AM
It's sad the power the fashion/beauty industry has on women in general and it's all to make money.We really are pawns .

And that's why we have to fight the power. We have to be strong enough to be ourselves no matter what some snarky, miserable, boring, stupid "experts" and "well-meaning friends" say.

Aveyronnaise
October 10th, 2011, 04:24 AM
I'm looking forward to not getting fried in the sun with my black hair absorbing every bit of the sun's heat.
I dyed part of my head 'blonde' ( it looked orange ) in my punker days, and that part of my head was like 15 degrees cooler , so nice!

redmj
October 10th, 2011, 06:33 AM
That's crazy. I will never understand why women think they have to chop off all their hair just because they have reached a certain age. Short hair just makes women look OLDER so why would an older woman want that?????????I think they are just jealous because a younger woman can get away with a short hairstyle and look fabulous and they mostly just look old.

Navydoc_76
October 10th, 2011, 06:33 AM
ok, i dont know who this jane seymore is-but her hair is beautiful!

i dont see older women with long flowing locks as desperately trying to hold onto youth.. its a matter of personal preference. i hope someday i have long, flowing silvery locks!!

JellyBene
October 10th, 2011, 07:27 AM
Personally I can't wait to have beautiful long grey hair some day! And I am only 17 :P

whichypoohs
October 10th, 2011, 07:43 AM

Here's Jane Seymour:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-eYxvoIYaBKA/Tc6owXz-IqI/AAAAAAAAJwI/XGfOzJmI3f8/s400/old%2Blady%2Blong%2Bhair.jpg

I don't give a stuff what fashion guru's say (well so called gurus). I love long hair on older ladies. They look so elegant when it's in a bun.

Kindredraeven
October 10th, 2011, 07:43 AM
I don't care if she is 20 or even 90 , That is one beautiful head of hair! LOVE the color's, Love the length!!! You can't fake that kinda beauty!!! :)

AnnaJamila
October 10th, 2011, 07:47 AM
Now that is a crying shame. Why do people *always* feel the need to pass judgement on other people? :nono:

Let her grow her hair, lady. Just because you don't want long hair doesn't mean that no one should be allowed to enjoy it themselves.

going gray
October 10th, 2011, 07:56 AM
So true. My mom, now in her 60's, is always asking me if her (APL) hair is making her look old. So now should I tell her no, it's making her look inappropriately young:p?! People are ridiculous sometimes.

Oh this is me, always asked my DD if my 23" hair made me look older! She would continually shrug shoulders & say "do what pleases YOU Mom"

During a salon session with hair color last May I asked my "stylist" the same question, she replied with " 98 percent of women my age can NOT wear long hair & let it grow in gray"

So I've decided to let it grow back much longer & after 25 odd years go gray, finally!!!

Enjoying this thread, thanks ladies..........just reconfirming to me I'm on the right track!

racrane
October 10th, 2011, 07:56 AM
Like so many others have said, I believe healthy long hair is beautiful on anyone, no matter the age. I too get frustrated when people state their opinions as facts.

going gray
October 10th, 2011, 07:59 AM
And that's why we have to fight the power. We have to be strong enough to be ourselves no matter what some snarky, miserable, boring, stupid "experts" and "well-meaning friends" say.

Omen to this statement!!!!!

Teamouse
October 10th, 2011, 09:00 AM
All the people in my family have cut their hair shorter as they've grown older.
I plan to change that.

fil
October 10th, 2011, 09:18 AM
"old lady long hair" is the coolest thing. it looks lovely, especially compared to the poofy old lady short hair perm that so many grandmas have going on. and what you've quoted from the blog featuring that photo really doesn't make a lot of sense. I don't think that blogger knows what they're talking about :L

archel
October 10th, 2011, 11:02 AM
The women on my mother's side of the family all had long hair that they wore up every day. My grandmother and great aunt both had it styled at the salon once a week. They were the most elegant old ladies EVER. That's what I'm hoping for in my old age (and at 40, I ain't in it yet!!!)

jacqueline101
April 21st, 2013, 08:17 PM
It's a personal choice to have your hair as you chose.

Kaelee
April 21st, 2013, 08:43 PM

Here's Jane Seymour:

I know this is an old thread but WOW! What stunning hair!!! It makes me think that at some point, I am going to have to figure out how to let go of the henna so that some day, I can hopefully have beautiful silver hair like that!!!

Also I had no idea Jane Seymour was that old...I still remember her from Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman (amazing show, by the way!!!)...man, I guess that was a long time ago wasn't it!!!! Now *I* feel old (and I'm 25 :lol:)

I find it funny that people have these preconceptions about how easy or difficult different hairtypes are to take care of. I had a guy tell me how difficult long hair is, how I had to take care of it and I looked at him like he'd sprouted an extra head. I'm like...I just braid it before bed then take it down in the AM and do whatever with it. Not a big deal.

HumanBean
April 22nd, 2013, 12:21 AM
The photo it links to is not Jane Seymour. Jane Seymour was just at the Oscars, and in the news recently because she and her husband are divorcing. You can google pics of her. She is wearing her hair brown and about BSL.

MaryO
April 22nd, 2013, 01:58 AM
Oh whatever. This blogger probably din't have anything else to blog about the day. What crap!

Society thinks (for some reason!) that long hair is inappropriate for older people so many people just take it and run with it never thinking why they have this stupid notion. I am personally of the opinion that grey hair looks lovely in a bun of or braid. That's why I've started growing! :-)

auburntressed
April 22nd, 2013, 02:58 AM
Gorgeous hair, but I'm not sure it's Jane Seymour. I thought Seymour was a natural redhead?

faellen
April 22nd, 2013, 03:12 AM
Zombie thread, but yeah, that's not Jane Seymour, haha!

catamonica
April 22nd, 2013, 10:46 AM
That older woman's hair is beautiful. It isn't difficult to maintain long hair. Wash, air dry & braid it. Everybody should wear their hair how ever they please. Jane Seymour looks great with long hair.

Vrindi
April 22nd, 2013, 11:28 AM
Ugh. Whatever. I'm keeping my hair long, and when it starts to go gray, I'm going to let it. I will have absolutely stunning, long silver hair and dark eyes. Haters gonna hate. I'm going to love my hair and be happy. And Jane does look regal.

heidi w.
April 22nd, 2013, 12:21 PM
I am aware of several older women with super long hair, and they're nothing short of gorgeous.
So, BS to all of this. That's all I have to say.
heidi w.

FrozenBritannia
April 22nd, 2013, 04:52 PM
To old my rear! I read a book once that had a supporting character known only as "grandmère". She was very regal and beautifully mannered, wearing her long silver hair in elaborate updos, or just a french roll if she was staying at home. I decided then and there that when I am a grandmother, I too will have long silver hair- so that my grandchildren may imagine me a queen, or at least a princess of the old life. (And I'll play it up to the hilt too- Marie Antoinette at Halloween!! LOL)

Annibelle
April 22nd, 2013, 05:53 PM
Yes, we know it's not Jane Seymour-- that was established shortly after the thread got started. :sigh:

Annibelle
April 22nd, 2013, 05:54 PM
And FB, I'm totally gonna have awesome silver (maybe white? :) ) hair!

Sunshineliz
April 23rd, 2013, 07:52 AM
Yes, we know it's not Jane Seymour-- that was established shortly after the thread got started. :sigh:

Perhaps you could edit and leave a note in the first post so people will know it's been covered multiple times. :flower:

Peggy E.
April 23rd, 2013, 10:10 AM
Ms. Seymour has always had gorgeous hair and obviously has taken excellent care of it to maintain that beauty. Why should she not be proud of it and anxious to show it off?

In fact, she is an excellent model of how the dynamics of beauty continue throughout a woman's life, that "youth" owns no premium over any other age. We need to be seeing more women with the bravery of this gorgeous woman to stand up as mentors to those following on behind, to learn aging is not something to fear, dread and avoid at all costs, but another stage of beauty to be enjoyed in an already lovely life.

Let's see more of Jane and her ilk get out there and do us all proud!

TheLadyKM
April 23rd, 2013, 11:37 AM
Long hair is a personal reference and has no link with age.

TheLadyKM
April 23rd, 2013, 11:38 AM
Long hair is a personal reference and has no link with age.
*preference

alexis917
April 23rd, 2013, 12:56 PM
With that blogger's logic, I must be time traveling every time I wear vintage.

QMacrocarpa
April 23rd, 2013, 01:12 PM
I haven't read through all the comments, but this made me think of an article I just saw in Good Housekeeping about "flattering" styles for older women. I found their suggestions ridiculous and not even consistent with themselves. Like you shouldn't have long hair because it will make you look young from the back, and then there will be this dreadful contrast with your older-looking face. But on the other hand, you *should* color your hair at least until you are 75% white (though that doesn't sound like an easy time to transition to me). But why doesn't coloring your hair get disqualified as also making you look "too young" from the back? I sense the influence of cosmetics advertisers here... Anyway, I think if I have long grey hair, anyone who gets a nasty shock from my older face is a bit clueless. :tongue:

lapushka
April 23rd, 2013, 02:17 PM
Like you shouldn't have long hair because it will make you look young from the back, and then there will be this dreadful contrast with your older-looking face. But on the other hand, you *should* color your hair at least until you are 75% white (though that doesn't sound like an easy time to transition to me). But why doesn't coloring your hair get disqualified as also making you look "too young" from the back? I sense the influence of cosmetics advertisers here...

Good point about the coloring vs the contrast thing. I've heard that before, that lame "contrast" thing as a reason why older women shouldn't wear their hair long. It's annoying to say the least, to hear it mentioned over and over again.

Alun
April 23rd, 2013, 04:22 PM
I guess I have old man long hair, LOL! Most (but definitely not all) of the indicia of being old seem to apply to me, including getting called old. And you know what? I don't give a $#%&^& what other people think about it. Some like it, some don't, and if you can't please everyone, you might as well please yourself. That's the real bottom line.

[ETA; The picture is old, but I'm about to use some Henna/Indigo, mostly because DW doesn't like the grey. If she complained about the length, I don't think I'd be so amenable]

Annibelle
April 23rd, 2013, 04:37 PM
Perhaps you could edit and leave a note in the first post so people will know it's been covered multiple times. :flower:

Done. Thanks, SunshineLiz, for the idea. :flower:

Maybe
April 24th, 2013, 06:45 AM
So should we get out of shape and untoned when we are over 40 too, so no one gets a 'nasty shock' when they see us from behind, think we are a hot young thing and then *gasp* discover the awful truth???

So ridiculous.