PDA

View Full Version : Colour B4 Half-time & Preliminary Results

Firefox7275
May 28th, 2011, 06:11 PM
A few people asked if I'd post whether Colour B4 Extra worked so I have started an album (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=7942). None of the colours are as dark as they appear - the before is burgundy, the intermediate stage strawberry blonde and the after a rich red. I class the lift as a success as it seems reasonably even. The ginger tinge is down to repeat colour treatments, but I'm taken aback by the damage as I am using a non-lightening dye.

The Colour B4 instructions are excellent, explaining the importance of each step, pitfalls and solutions. I cherry-picked long shed hairs (max length 14") for the test so that I'd be sure to get the most resistant build-up. My tupperware test tub was tucked between my knees for the recommended warmth. Unfortunately my strand turned into a miniature dreadlock so I was not able to rinse it for the instructed ten minutes nor apply the buffer, and had to snip at the mat for the final photoshoot. :p

I pushed ahead with the re-colour on the basis it's only a test strand, but it occurs to me that the before and after an unfair comparison because there is always a ruby halo after a fresh dye. It also may be falsely dark due to FAIL rinsing so I'm apprehensive ginger-plus-red will equal vermillion on a full head. Will probably push ahead with the full colour remover, then treat overnight with coconut oil conditioner before re-dying.

Please note that my desire to avoid strawberry blonde/ marmalade/ ginger is because I looked jaundiced during a brief flirtation with auburn and likewise in yellow clothing, not because I don't think henna and natural redheads are stunning. Hope all this helps someone else and any thoughts welcome! :D

jojo
May 28th, 2011, 06:23 PM
The thing with dyes is they do contain a little peroxide to help lift your natural colour so the dye can take better. I liked your result and an ash colour, go a shade lighter than you are after say a light brown one will get rid of the brassy colour. Loving care does a temp one which washes out after a month or 2 but some will stick to the brassy bits and make it look more natural plus a temp won't hurt your hair as its just a stain.

KittyLost
May 29th, 2011, 02:03 AM
I used Colour B4 extra to remove colour on the top half of my hair so I could dye it a more natural brown. It had a bad reaction with my semi perm brown added afterwards and destroyed the majority of my hair (which was basically on it's way out anyway hence trying to get back to natural colour to leave it alone) which has now left me with short layers.

The important thing I learned about Colour B4 though is that the rinsing is essential. Whilst it says you can dye semi straight afterwards it is still best to leave it a few days and keep washing your hair to make sure no residue is left as anything left behind really can cause problems. Treating with coconut is a great idea too, it is very drying.