PDA

View Full Version : Um... I'm guessing my hair doesn't like protein.

VintageDresses
May 28th, 2011, 04:13 PM
I tried putting eggs in my hair... I started off as if I was making scrambled eggs but of course I didnt cook them... Haha. So I put it on my hair, left it on for 10ish minutes and then s&ced as normal. I let it airdry and I woke up with a nightmare of hair! It was matted and tangled and ratty and so dry. I'm not sure what happened. Did i do it wrong or is I just not for my hair? I probably should have asked this before but what exactly does a protein treatment do for your hair?

Lianna
May 28th, 2011, 04:21 PM
Usually after a protein treatment, a moisture treatment is a must. But it's possible your hair doesn't like protein, mine doesn't. :)

DuckyDot
May 28th, 2011, 04:54 PM
You need moisture! Now! As Lianna said - usually you need moisture after a protein treatment. Try honey and conditioner for a quick fix.

gthlvrmx
May 28th, 2011, 05:00 PM
I read online to only use the yolks for a hair treatment. But it could be your hair does not like it. A nice conditioner should help :)

littlenvy
May 28th, 2011, 05:07 PM
Not sure why this happened to you. From what I've read so far the protein in eggs is way too big to penetrate so it does not act like a regular protein treatment.
When I wash my hair with egg I never use shampoo.
However; I do mix my egg with 1 teaspoon of honey and 1 teaspoon of oil. Mix it up well and add few drops of lemon juice. (I have blonde hair so I don't need to micro my honey before use).
I keep the mixture on for about 15 minutes and then just rinse it out first with cold water (it needs to be hot so you don't cook the egg on your head. LOL), then warm water followed by hot.
Followed by ACV rinse. Nice results every time.

But ... to fix your problem I would suggest carifying and then doing a moisture treatment. Hope it all works out for you well :)

Lianna
May 29th, 2011, 05:05 PM
Not sure why this happened to you. From what I've read so far the protein in eggs is way too big to penetrate so it does not act like a regular protein treatment.

It's just that eggs aren't really the best protein. Here's (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3yhbfae_9s) a video on different kinds. :)

KittyLost
May 29th, 2011, 05:30 PM
It could just be the eggs?

I've used protein treatments and moisture treatments that have worked great on my hair. Joico Reconstructor and Intense Hydration, Aussie 3minute Miracle Constructor, Mayonaise followed by Coconut Oil. Then I decided to try a recipe I found of two egg yolks, a tablespoon of olive oil and half a cup of conditioner. It left my hair dry and tangly like you described.

Anje
May 29th, 2011, 06:38 PM
It could just be that your hair doesn't like eggs, but it does sound rather like too much protein. When I had too much, I had my best recovery when I did an SMT each night for a few days. (I was a bit drastically overloaded.)

Some people find clarifying is enough -- I didn't. So based on my experience, I'd recommend doing a good moisture treatment ASAP, and repeat until your hair feels normal again.