PDA

View Full Version : Copper red

firicia
May 28th, 2011, 02:57 PM
Hello everyone. I have been on and off here trying to decide if I am ready for henna. I love red hair, have tried to get it many times with chemical dye but quit because it never lasted or looked nice for longer than 2 weeks. Than I found LHC and this neat idea called henna.

My hair tends to get more dirty blond in the summer but seems to be a pretty light brown in the winter. Or maybe it's dirty blond... or ashy, hmm.

http://www.longhaircommunity.com/forums/image.php?u=37318&dateline=1299544349&type=profile

Anyways I would like to try to achieve a copper red, as that colour looks great with my pale skin and freckles. Is my hair colour too dark to achieve this?

Are there any brands or methods people use to get a copper red colour? I remember hearing some brands do more of a wine colour, so I guess I would need to stay away from those. Also which brands are the best quality?

Any advice or tips would be great, especially for keeping it a nice copper red and not letting it get darker and darker as time goes on since I know this is permanent.

p.s. how do you all feel about the up-keep? Is it hard to do roots only touch ups?

Thanks so much! :flower:

Scarlet_Heart
May 28th, 2011, 03:11 PM
Yes, I use Yemeni, so you would want to stay away from that.

I know H4H (www.mehandi.com) has some lighter hennas that would give you more of a copper. And I do not think your hair is too dark to achieve it. The key is to choose something with a lower lawsone content.

I know a lot people get copper from Lush Caca Rouge, but that Lush tends to fade (which might actually be ok if you are trying it out).

HTH! Good luck! :toast: I am a henna enthusiast. It's more work, but it's so worth it in my opinion.

whitestiletto
May 28th, 2011, 04:15 PM
I am also trying to get copper red from medium brown hair. I've been using chemical dyes for a while and yeah, they are not good for my curly fine hair.

You should read the whole henna/cassia blend thread, I think that might be the way to go rather than pure henna. I can't see most people's pictures because I don't have 25 posts (slightly annoying feature). I will probably buy henna and cassia as soon as I get to the point where I can see everyone's henna/cassia blend photos. I think something between 15%henna/85%cassia and 50%/50% will give a more coppery tone.

Henna/cassia thread: http://www.longhaircommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29242

Seems like all the photos of people doing henna over time it turns burgundy/wine colored.

It might stay more red if you just do glosses of henna and don't fully dye it every time.