PDA

View Full Version : CO with Cones???

Annibelle
May 28th, 2011, 11:57 AM
I read the newbie articles about CO washing and noticed that some recommend using conditioners like Suave, which I think is cone-free. I'm considering CO washing for the first time today, but most of my conditioners have cones (like my beloved Herbal Essences Hello Hydration). I do have some bottles of Suave, though. What do you guys use for CO washing? And are any of you fine-haired? Does it work well for you?

ALSO, I have fine hair that gets annoyingly poofy with flyaways the day of washing and after, but on the third day, it's perfect, and on the fourth day, it's pathetically limp and almost stringy. Perhaps CO washing, but with more frequency than my regular washing, might help?

THANK YOU!

MonaLisa
May 28th, 2011, 12:02 PM
I dont CO...but from what I've read here, correct me if im wrong, cones can cause some build-up? and without shampoo to clarify it , it might go bad?

gthlvrmx
May 28th, 2011, 12:06 PM
Cones do cause buildup after a while. I'm use Suave Clarifier and Suave Naturals Ocean Breeze for CO:) My hair has some fine hairs, more medium, some coarser O.o But it all works out, my hair likes this routine better.

Annibelle
May 28th, 2011, 12:12 PM
Cones do cause buildup after a while. I'm use Suave Clarifier and Suave Naturals Ocean Breeze for CO:)

Mmmm Ocean Breeze sounds yummy, especially in this hot weather. :) But I notice that you're 3a, so maybe CO washing is different for you. My hair is relatively straight and fine, so I'm afraid of coming out of the shower with mushy, overconditioned hair... @_@ But I can always get back in if it doesn't work out right!

Rivanariko
May 28th, 2011, 12:19 PM
I've had mixed luck with CO washing. My hair definitely needs cones, and I've had very BAD luck trying to CO with cone-free, but my hair in general dislikes cone-free conditioners. The coney conditioners don't seem to cleanse my hair as well as I'm told products like suave do, and they can cause build-up over time. If that's the case, you can just clarify with cone-free shampoo every so often. My fine hair, though, much preferred stretching washes and doing WO in between "real" CWC washes to "freshen" it up. That was before I moved to a place with hard water though, and now I just CWC once a week or so because WO makes it really icky.

jojo
May 28th, 2011, 12:23 PM
Ive co washed with cones and have had no problems. I do however do a weekly clarifying shampoo.

xoerincolleen
May 28th, 2011, 01:40 PM
I CO wash with Suave Naturals (which is cone-free). However, I usually use a heavier, cone-y conditioner from about the ears down, after the wash, and it works really well for me.

mustpannkook
May 28th, 2011, 03:04 PM
I've seen a couple of people doing a CO-wash with cones. Can't remember the names, though... If you clarify it should be just fine.

Annibelle
May 28th, 2011, 03:29 PM
I CO wash with Suave Naturals (which is cone-free). However, I usually use a heavier, cone-y conditioner from about the ears down, after the wash, and it works really well for me.

UPDATE: My hair just dried after doing the above; I washed with Suave Naturals coconut conditioner, let it sit in my hair for maybe 4 minutes, and then rinsed it out very well (warm, because I wasn't sure if it would wash as well if I used cold water-- any suggestions?). I then put coney HE on the bottom four inches and let that rest for about four minutes, as well, before rinsing cold.

Results: My hair is just as flyaway as it usually is after a normal wash (with coney shampoos and conditioners), but it does seem straighter. I'll post another update tonight, after it's had more time to rest!

Blond On Blond
May 28th, 2011, 05:53 PM
I wash with coney conditioners with no problems. Like jojo, I clarify from time to time.

My favorite is Suave Shea Almond.

whitestiletto
May 28th, 2011, 06:57 PM
Sorry this is a beginner question but what is CO and what are cones? I keep seeing cones mentioned all around here but don't know what they are.

Annibelle
May 28th, 2011, 06:59 PM
Sorry this is a beginner question but what is CO and what are cones? I keep seeing cones mentioned all around here but don't know what they are.

I'm a beginner, too; go to the forum, and "NEW? START HERE" and there will be articles you can read about. In short, CO is "condition only," so you're washing your hair with conditioner. "Cones" are silicones in hair products; the pros and cons of these are outlined in the newbie articles. :heart:

vlhxo
May 28th, 2011, 07:21 PM
I CO wash with cones, but I clarify once a week to once every week and a half. My hair does what I want it to with this routine!

whitestiletto
May 28th, 2011, 09:33 PM
I would recommend trying your rinses with cold water, not warm water. The cold water might smooth the fly aways down because it seals the cuticles.

Annibelle
May 28th, 2011, 09:36 PM
I would recommend trying your rinses with cold water, not warm water. The cold water might smooth the fly aways down because it seals the cuticles.

Thanks for the suggestion! I always use cold for my final rinse, but wasn't sure if I could get the dirtiness out of my hair if I used cold to rinse the first time. I'll try this next time!!!

ANOTHER UPDATE: My hair is now a bit flyaway, but still better than it normally is just a few hours after washing! :cheese:

TheMechaGinger
May 28th, 2011, 09:41 PM
I can't wash with my scalp cones, it made my hair look just awful =[ On the length it's fine but on the roots I have to use a runny non-cone one. Others have better results though, I think it would be worth experimenting to see if it works

Olyve
May 28th, 2011, 11:59 PM
I had always had troubles with flyaways, and little strands that liked to make themselves known- it was caused by cone usage.

I started cone free with regular S&C, still had flyaways and irritating litle attention strands, made my switch to CO this past week, and NO flyaways what so ever! My hair lays smooth and shiny.

Could you try not using cones and see what happens?

Annibelle
May 29th, 2011, 07:37 AM
I had always had troubles with flyaways, and little strands that liked to make themselves known- it was caused by cone usage.

I started cone free with regular S&C, still had flyaways and irritating litle attention strands, made my switch to CO this past week, and NO flyaways what so ever! My hair lays smooth and shiny.

Could you try not using cones and see what happens?

I'll definitely do that next time!!! My hair is definitely less flyaway than second-day hair already, but I did use cones on the ends, so I'll try it completely cone-free next wash! :D

einna
May 29th, 2011, 08:51 AM
Hi. I CO, but without cones. But I have fine hair, so I thought I`d tell you what works for me. My hair is naturally dry though, so that plays a part in my routine.
If I dilute my conditioner, and dont let it sit for too long, my hair seems to be less fluffy and have less fly aways. I think it is because I dont get it "super clean", but leave some moisture and maybe some sebum behind to give my fine hairs some body. I use a Boar Bristle Brush to distribute oils and sebum down my lenght before a wash, and put oils in my ends to protect them because they are dry (this works kind of like cones for me I think).

I scrub my scalp very well though, and once in a while I use a bit more CO and let it sit, so that it gets rid of some build up and such.

ETA: If you are thinking of going cone free, remember to clarify with a cone free sulfate shampoo first. =) Good luck with your hair project.