PDA

View Full Version : today im going to save alot of non LHCers manes..but i need your help!!

ALYSSA
May 28th, 2011, 12:01 PM
Lately my mom's friends started admiring my hair ,wich was flattering because i have been feeling down about my hair, and their hair can use a little TLC..well,a lot of TLC. they asked me if i could help out their hair i plan on S&D( they dont want to loose length) ALL their hairs and doing some treatments but they all have different hair types. im really excited to do this because i LOVE hair! and i'd be more than happy to help. today im going to go hair shopping hehe. im going to get more oils, as i am out!, and possably a few other things that might help. i am wondering what has significantly helped your hair? like coconut oil,EVOO,morrocan oil, aloever gel.. anything that you might recomend . aslo, can you please tell me your hair type as well as what has helped
thank you all in advanced im so excited!:cheese:this should be fun

gogirlanime
May 28th, 2011, 12:21 PM
I have fine hair that usually doesn't grow past 20 inches without beginning to thin out a lot at the ends. I have found that olive oil works best as an oil at night for me. Coconut oil is another good one. Castor oil, not so much with my fine hair, how thick the oil is wasn't good to put in, it pulled it too much and I lost a lot of hair. If I dilute it with other oils it works fine. I love the effects it gave my hair, it makes it thicker and grow in thicker, but the application is not good. Apple cider vinegar is a lifesaver!! It has helped so much for me to get grime out of my hair, build-up. Using a comb instead of a brush is a must for my fine hair. Then I love to use collagen powder in water as a protein treatment since collagen is very similar to keratin, it makes my hair stronger.

gthlvrmx
May 28th, 2011, 12:35 PM
Only oiling the ends right after a wash, that stuff builds!
Clarifying before using any other new product (conditioner)
Cone-free, protein, and humectant free was great for my hair that needs more moisture!
Mayo and egg treatments were great for protein without the large amount of money for it :p

I'm doing the same with my friends! I'm trying to solve my best friends scalp problems and i'm now my other friends hair stylist :p
Surprisingly, i've noted many other peoples problems come back to cones...:confused:

growingpains
May 28th, 2011, 12:36 PM
I'm ic/2a, mostly f, my hair likes a light evoo on the ends and lotsa condish:)

Have fun! Sounds like a ball!

FluffSpider
May 28th, 2011, 12:43 PM
I have very fine, 1a/1b hair which hides alot of thickness. 8.5 cm pony diameter, but on some days I could swear I'm an i!
Lifesaving techniques: C-COW-C-cleans out just as well as a CWC, and moisturizes as nicely as CO. My hair loves cones, sweet almond oil( If you're in the US and can afford it, buy them some Burt's bees hand salve-I received it as a gift and it's awesome. It's based on sweet almond oil). Oilve oil was so-and-so on me, castor oil made my ends very smooth but it doesn't agree with the rest of my hair. Air-drying results in very shiny but limp hair, while the hair fryer results in some gnarly frizz which calms down by the next day. I don't agree much with the BBB( I have an alternative use for it-I rub it lightly once on the Hand salve then brush the oil onto my hair) but the wide-toothed comb was a dream come true. I hope this helps!

Arya
May 28th, 2011, 12:54 PM
Tangle teezers all around! new sharp scissors! Satin pillowcases! Coconut oil! scalp massages! Monistat?

elbow chic
May 28th, 2011, 12:56 PM
I say keep it simple. S&D, followed by a clarifying wash followed by a good conditioner and perhaps a VERY small amount of a popularly-loved oil like unrefined coconut on the very ends.

Melanie Marie
May 28th, 2011, 01:00 PM
You should feel honored that they trust you enough to take care of their hair! :D I would also be super excited if I were you!

One thing that has significantly helped my hair is not combing or brushing it while it's wet. I never used to know that my astounding halo of frizz resembling that of Our Lady of Guadalupe came from that, and the fact that I used a fine tooth comb and a brush with plastic spikes with little balls on the top. :run: Using a wide-toothed comb has also been a good choice (I don't have a BBB or a Tangle Teezer, so I can't say what I feel about them).

I use relatively light hair oils like amla and almond oil. Even coconut oil can feel a bit heavy at times, but my hair loves it better than anything else so I use it. :D I don't, however, like olive oil because it is seriously heavy for me, my hair didn't respond particularly, and I just wasn't pleased with what I saw.

Other than these things, I just do the small things that I've been doing all my life because it always takes time to get good, healthy hair. Have fun with doing your mom's friends' hair!

Issmene
May 28th, 2011, 01:28 PM
That sounds like a lot of fun!
My hair is wavy, pretty coarse and very dryyy. My favourite oils are EVOO and sheabutter and it also love aloe vera gel as daily leave in. My hair also like cones, but also gentle shampoos (the best would be co-washing, but that doesn't get cones out xD). Also my coarse hair needs to be moisturized constantly, the more, the better.

x0h_bother
May 28th, 2011, 02:08 PM
Clarifying shampoo saved my hair from hard-water-buildup tangles that used to rip my hair. Cones work for me, in moderation. Coconut oil moderately used changed my life. Stretching trims and patience.

woolyleprechaun
May 28th, 2011, 02:32 PM
I've got thick (well, did have. thinned it out to reduce the 'triangle shape' I suffered at shoulder length and regret it now its reached APL...:mad:) and wavy hair. I find benign neglect works well. I brush morning and night with a rubber based denman brush (BBBs just didnt work for me:confused:), very gently detangle when damp, and c/o every 3 days with a sulphate shampoo every fortnight. I lightly oil with coconut as needed but give it a heavy oiling and an updo before shampoo night. Im still experimenting with my routine, but this seems to be my best so far.:)

leslissocool
May 28th, 2011, 02:50 PM
My hair is super coarse (Asian like) and oddly waved-curled with frizz.

Unrefined coconut oil saved my hair make sure they do a pre-wash heavy oiling once a month.

To style suggest no heat, what I LOVE to use is Kimberly's antifrizz (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=277) recipe, my hair loves it! Make sure they know they don't have to wash every day, that they can stretch their washes.

Wide tooth comb. Make sure they change their brushes. Also CO washing really helped me as my hair gets longer. Tell them hair is like their skin, you need moisture and gentleness to look nice.

I am so exited for you! :cheese:

GRU
May 28th, 2011, 03:00 PM
Cool opportunity!

I'm a M/C to C texture with good solid 3b curls with a tendency towards 3c in more humid weather. I CO-wash only, no shampoo at all anymore.

My *fave* conditioner is Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut. I use it for CO-washing, conditioning, SMT-type treatments, and leave-in.

My *fave* oil is grapeseed followed closely by sweet almond and then coconut.

My *fave* gel is aloe vera --- moisturizing without that "shellac" feeling that so many gels have.

My leave-in recipe is part Suave conditioner, part aloe vera gel, part glycerin, and part oil. Sorry I can't give you a more detailed recipe, but I just "eyeball" my ingredients. If I had to guess, I'd say 3 parts cond, 2 parts avg, and 1 part each of glycerin and oil. :shrug:

I only detangle in the shower while covered in conditioner and using a wide-toothed comb. Or if I'm going to do an updo/braid, I'll detangle dry hair with a Tangle Teezer.

Kristin
May 28th, 2011, 03:46 PM
I have pretty straight, thick hair. Things that work for me:

-weekly overnight heavy oilings with coconut oil all over and castor oil on the ends
-monthly clarifying washes with SLS shampoo
-CO most days, but shampoo with sulphate-free shampoo most days
-generic matrix biolage conditioning balm. AWESOME
-admittedly, I have recently begun using cones again due to tangles. I love Fekkai glossing creme

Good luck! Have fun!

Tuntenut
May 28th, 2011, 04:07 PM
My fine, wispy hair responds very well to CO. I'm cone-free, but a little cones on the very ends can help prevent tangles. Coconut oil works quite well, and my hair luuurves Fox's shea butter conditioner mix.

I also think that you should try to keep it simple and not suggest too many radical changes unless they're really up for it. A friend of mine asked me for hair tips ones, and I told her about CO. Her response? "That's just strange. I don't think I could wash my hair just in conditioner." So I suggested CWC instead, and she loved that idea. A minimal change in her usual routine, but one with great benefits.

And yay for you for having such great hair that you are asked to do this!

HintOfMint
May 28th, 2011, 05:07 PM
SMTs!!! You can also modify them with an oil of your choice.

Panth
May 28th, 2011, 06:35 PM
I think the most important thing they need to learn (if they want long hair, or truely healthy hair, as opposed to hair that follows the latest fashion trend and changes lots) is to embrace their own natural hair type, or at least learn less damaging ways of altering it to the way they want it to be (heat-free methods of straightening or curling, like doobies, bun curls, braid waves, etc., plus tips for colouring and bleaching - using coconut oil before bleaching (I'm not sure on the specifics - check out Ktani's website for more info) or using hair-safe dyes that don't contain peroxide).

The other very important thing to learn is that everyone's hair is different and will have its own preference, which may change with length, water hardness, climate (humidity/temperature), season, etc. So, don't be afraid to experiment and always remember that what works for one person may not work for them (and vice versa).

(As for me, I'm a 1b/F/ii-iii and I love an oil shampoo every 3-4 days followed by a white wine vinegar rinse (I'm blonde). Other than that, I sleep with a silk sleep stocking most nights, bun most days and comb carefully with a wide-toothed comb ... and practice a lot of patience!)

selderon
May 28th, 2011, 06:37 PM
I have medium-coarse 1b/1c hair. Mom is Chinese and stylists in my Midwest town say my hair is really Asian in character.

I find that a pre-wash oiling with extra virgin olive oil turns my hair into silk. I wash with diluted shampoo (up to a teaspoon of shampoo and a 1/2 cup or more of water). This helps get the shampoo properly spread around quickly. I try not to leave it on for more than a few seconds. Just rake fingers through hair a few times and rinse. Then I follow up with conditioner. The trickiest part of this routine is washing out enough oil, but not TOO much.

Have fun! :D