PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else going grey in their 20's???

vintage88
May 28th, 2011, 04:47 AM
I'm 22 and found my first grey hair when I was 20. Actually I didn't find it, my hairdresser did, who also happens to be my Aunty. Basically she is a very loud person, and proceded to laugh about it and tell everyone who was in the room. At the time I just tried to laugh along and be strong even though I could feel myself going red with embarrassment. I cried a lot afterwards, mainly because I was going grey so young, but also because of the public embarrassment! She has cut my hair a few times since but now i've vowed never to let her touch my hair again as she totally messed up my fringe last time:mad:

Anyway this morning I found 2 more greys. Sometimes I can go for weeks without noticing any and other times I will find 6 or 7. I have black hair which at the moment is BSL. I do feel upset about the fact i'm so young and already finding so many. Is there anyone else who is similar? Could really do with some support as I dont know anyone else my age who has this, and I do feel down about it at times :(

pepperminttea
May 28th, 2011, 05:48 AM
It isn't just you, don't worry. :grouphug: I found my first one around the same age, and many of my friends found their first greys in their teens. With dye use being so common, it's easy to forget how early greys begin to pop up, and on naturally dark hair they will show up that bit more. Don't get disheartened, if you don't like them you can dye, or you could embrace them as silvers. :flower:

kitten1986
May 28th, 2011, 06:33 AM
What an awful experience, I am very sorry it happened to you!
I am 25 and I noticed my first greys when I was 19, I have dark hair so they are quite noticeable!!
Occasionally I put a semi permanent colour through my hair mostly because I dont LOVE my natural colour, and this has also dealt with the greys so I dont have to think about them much.
I actually dont mind my greys though, I have become attached to the way they shimmer in the sunlight and I imagine that each grey hair is an experience, great event or loss in my life and that I have earned them. They remind me that ageing is inevitable and that one day I will have a head-full of beautiful shimmery white grey hair like my grandmother who I love dearly and is a very stylish amazing lady.

I also think they make me look different to the huge percentage of women that dye them out and I dont like to run with the pack.

And on the lighter side of things I am a medical student and afew grey hairs might increase my credibility too hahaha :D

So try not to stress about them, dye over them if you need to but it is a fact of life and a fact of who you are.

IvySchex
May 28th, 2011, 07:17 AM
I am 24 and I have been finding grays for about 6 years. :D You can see them more or less depending on how I part it. The other day, one of my brothers asked if I did anything differently with my hair. I said, "No," and asked why he wanted to know. He said that it liked a little white on top. Yep, I said, those are my gray hairs.

Oh well, I guess I will just live with them.

Ivy

salls
May 28th, 2011, 07:17 AM
I found my first grey the other day (I'm 21), it's so pretty and shinny a proper silver white so if I eventually got that colour all over I will be pretty pleased

RedCat
May 28th, 2011, 07:22 AM
I am 29. I found my first grey when I was about 26. But I stopped finding new ones since I started using Indian hair oils. It is hard to believe but it works for me.

slz
May 28th, 2011, 07:22 AM
It's ont that early - I started greying around 15.
Besides, it's not so much the age of your first white hair that's significant, it's the rate at which they appear after that. Some peopke start early but with a very slow rate, others, like me, early with a high rate. I'm noticeably grey since late 20s - early 30s, and I only wish I didn't start dyeing.

RitaPG
May 28th, 2011, 07:24 AM
Having gray hair doesn't make you old, it just means you have gray hair. I've had mine since I was 16. Back then I always felt horrible because of it, but now I'm okay with it :)
Here on LHC, several lovely ladies have compared it to tinsel, and in college, a friend of mine was very amused at how shiny my grey strands are ^^'

ReluctantlyCurl
May 28th, 2011, 08:30 AM
My dad calls me "above average" b/c I noticed my first grey last year when I was 26. But the women on his mom's side of the family go grey in high school, so I think I held out pretty long.

My mom thought I was fibbing when I told her I had Greys. Then I asked her to brush my hair :).

I like the Greys - I feel like I have earned them, and I think they are pretty. They do not stand out too much, though, as my hair is mostly a medium brown, but I also have strands of dirty hood and light red. So they kind of just blend in.

Annibelle
May 28th, 2011, 08:45 AM
I have a patch of white/grey hairs on top of my head. You can't see them when my hair is down-- only when it's pulled back. (DH took a photo from when he first saw it, but still hasn't taken it off of his camera... *sigh*) I felt sort of apathetic toward the grey at first, but DH was very enthusiastic-- he even thinks it's SEXY. O_O He's never known a woman to NOT dye her greys, and he knows that I'll never dye my hair. He likes that greys prove that a woman is natural, etc, and accepting of herself. I don't LOVE mine or anything (yet), but I definitely don't dislike them. I adore my natural dark brown hair, but I don't know that I'd be very upset if I went completely grey. My mom was completely grey by 26 (I'm 22), but she also went through menopause before her 30th birthday... I wouldn't mind the grey part, but I'd like a little more baby-makin' time! Hehe.

Anyway, if you've got grey, you've got grey. I think it's kind of stylish. Also, your hairs might not even actually be grey-- they could be pigment-less. I've got some of those, too-- they're almost clear, but against my dark hair, they LOOK grey. Either way, they're probably beautiful. And if you don't like 'em, you could always dye them. But I think you'll look beautiful with them growing natural. :heart:

ashamanjababu
May 28th, 2011, 08:54 AM
Embrace the grays! I love mine. I'm 28 and I've been tracking a few grays for years. I love watching them get longer.

Really, dark hair shot with a few grays is quite beautiful, I think.

battles
May 28th, 2011, 09:24 AM
I found a silver a few weeks ago, but I haven't noticed any quite like that since then. I haven't been inspecting, though. I won't dye my hair if I do start to seriously to go silver, and I'm 21. I think it's beautiful. :)

aurorabridge
May 28th, 2011, 09:31 AM
I'm 23 and I found my first last year. I plucked it but it just grew back (along with a few new ones). Mine are buried under other hair so I don't give them a ton of thought. No worries as far as I'm concerned. Glad to know I'm not alone! :)

Question though: does any notice that their greys grow faster than the other hairs? At least, it feels like mine do.

QueenJoey
May 28th, 2011, 09:38 AM
I once knew a girl who had a few grey hairs on the nape of her neck. It wouldn't have been a big deal, except that we were in 7th grade! Just goes to show that everyone is different. I'm about to turn 15 and have yet to find any silvers. But when I do, I'm coming to this thread to see some more uplifting remarks

Kalie
May 28th, 2011, 09:49 AM
For what its worth, I definitely noticed more grey hairs popping up when I was using the Mico Nitrate. My hair was growing faster, less sheding, and even some new hairs popping up....but lots of new greys. Since stopping the Mico I have not noticed any new greys.

vintage88
May 28th, 2011, 10:00 AM
Thanks everyone:D I don't think I could ever dye my hair. It's good to know that i'm not alone and i'm going to join you all and embrace my greys!! they are beautiful and unique and I wont let anyone make me feel embarrassed about them again :)

gogirlanime
May 28th, 2011, 11:24 AM
A couple of months ago I found some grey hairs in my boss's hair and she's 22, yeah, you could say she was unhappy. I think it's because of the stress at our job haha.

growingpains
May 28th, 2011, 11:39 AM
I'm 27. Found my first grey at 21. Pulled it out and didn't find another one until 26. This past year I have found at least 7 or so little short grey hairs on my mostly virgin hair.

But, just cause I have a few, doesn't mean visually it appears grey. In fact I think I am the only one that notices them.

I hope as I grey I can embrace it. I have this one friend who is 25 and has light brown hair with quite a bit of grey in the fringer area. It looks so nice on her, almost like intentional highlights. She totally rocks it and never dyes it and it doesn't seem to age her (not that aging should be so feared, either).

torrilin
May 28th, 2011, 01:45 PM
My dad started going grey in his teens. He had distinguished grey hair at his temples when he met and married my mom in his early 20s. All the pictures of him and me as a baby show him as a 29 year old with heavily salt and pepper hair. By the time he was 40, his hair was the most beautiful silver.

Still is a beautiful silver, and he's going to be 64 soon.

I am *so* sad I didn't inherit his hair. I've always loved his hair color. He regularly has people peg him as a 40ish platinum blonde man. Thankfully, I did inherit his good attitude about life, so people tend to peg me as younger than I really am... but damn, his hair is pretty.

It's horrible that your aunt made fun of you that way. Grey hair is a natural part of life.

Lianna
May 28th, 2011, 02:42 PM
I've had a few white hairs since teenage years, at least ten on my middle part. But they're all over my hair, a sister of a friend once asked me if I had highlights done. This was about five years ago when I was natural. I'm growing out natural again, I don't think they'll bother me, plus maybe I could do a cassia treatment and bring some warmth to my dark ash blonde. I don't have an inch of roots but they already sparkle a lot. :D

cocolady
May 28th, 2011, 03:36 PM
my boyfriend started getting gray hairs at about 20.. I think it's sexy :) Don't worry about it to much.

boomtownrat
May 28th, 2011, 03:58 PM
Hi, vintage88! I don't remember if I've seen you in the Salt & Pepper Thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=16951), but if you haven't found it yet, that's where those who embrace the silver -- Renegreys -- hang out around here. :)

"Upgrading to titanium" is what I call my decision to stop dyeing my hair over a year ago. The first time I noticed a grey hair on my head, I was 14. From high school until age 36, I dyed my hair on and off because I liked having unnatural hair colours like burgundy, purple, or blue-black, not really to cover greys. Every now and then I would cut off all the dye just to see how far along I'd gone silver. By the time I was in my late 20s it was very noticeable, and when I was 33 it was completely salt and pepper. By age 36, I decided to stop dyeing my hair for good. Now that I'm 38, it's about 99% silver and white. There are a few red and gold hairs here and there, but they're only noticeable to me, I think. I can hardly wait until it's pure white.

When I was just a kid, I knew a boy who had a patch of grey hair and I'm pretty sure he was born with it.

Sunshineliz
May 28th, 2011, 04:13 PM
I'm chiming in with Boomtownrat the Renegrays are a fun lot!

I started finding grays at 20. I plucked them until I thought my hairline was receding in one spot. Turned out I had quite the streak going! Now I'm very streaky!:D With some scattered silver in other spots. I used to worry about it, but was reluctant to dye and just parted my hair to try to cover it. Now I'm trying to show them off a bit!

I knew it was really inevitable. Dad found gray at 16. I never remember him without lovely silver hair. Mom, not so early but by now (mid-60s) she's nearly completely silver. All my six siblings have gray hair that started in either our teens or twenties. I found one on my little sister when she was 14 and I'm ashamed to say I laughed at her.:o I have a better attitude now.:) It doesn't mean you're old (which really isn't so bad anyway). It just means you have silver hair!

boomtownrat
May 28th, 2011, 05:02 PM
I still don't know where I got my premature silverizing, because my parents were in their 40s when their hair started going salt and pepper and as I said, I had noticeable amounts of grey in my late 20s. With my mom it's harder to tell, because her hair was naturally platinum blonde from birth and she had a few dyeing experiments in her 40s. I was born when they were 43 years old, so I don't really remember a time before they were grey. My oldest brother was about 75% grey by about his mid-30s, but he's in his 50s now and I have whiter hair than he does. As for my other two brothers, they aren't very grey but they're balding.

aurorabridge
May 28th, 2011, 05:12 PM
"Upgrading to titanium" is what I call my decision to stop dyeing my hair over a year ago.

You are awesome! That's what I'm going to start calling my journey to greyland.

xoerincolleen
May 28th, 2011, 05:16 PM
I have a white streak and I'm 19. I found my first white hairs when I was about 14 or 15...only recently have they started coming in a full streak. As long as it doesn't go all over my head anytime soon, I'm dealing with it.

selderon
May 28th, 2011, 05:21 PM
I'm 22 and found my first grey hair when I was 20. Actually I didn't find it, my hairdresser did, who also happens to be my Aunty. Basically she is a very loud person, and proceded to laugh about it and tell everyone who was in the room. At the time I just tried to laugh along and be strong even though I could feel myself going red with embarrassment. I cried a lot afterwards, mainly because I was going grey so young, but also because of the public embarrassment! She has cut my hair a few times since but now i've vowed never to let her touch my hair again as she totally messed up my fringe last time:mad:

Anyway this morning I found 2 more greys. Sometimes I can go for weeks without noticing any and other times I will find 6 or 7. I have black hair which at the moment is BSL. I do feel upset about the fact i'm so young and already finding so many. Is there anyone else who is similar? Could really do with some support as I dont know anyone else my age who has this, and I do feel down about it at times :(

Sweet girl, I found my first grey at 14. They haven't slowed down.

Honestly, you'll feel a lot better if you stop worrying about it and make the occasional joke.

EdG
May 28th, 2011, 05:23 PM
My first grays appeared when I was in my teens. They stayed few in number until my mid-thirties.

Now, I have very visible silver streaks. :)
Ed

gthlvrmx
May 28th, 2011, 05:24 PM
I found as grey hair in my beard, i loved that little bugger. :D We were best friends for a few days.
I can't wait till i get white hairs!! Love long white hair
My first one, not on my head, but it's progress!!

Olyve
May 28th, 2011, 05:32 PM
I found my first gray around 20-21, and called my parents to ask who gave me the "bad gene." It was my dad who started going gray at 16, and has been almost fully silver since he was in his 30s, he is currently almost 52.

Mine frame my face, like my mom's do, I freaked and started color my hair and have since been trying to fix the damage and get back to a more natural hair color. (currently chem dyed black to cover henna that was crazy orange)

I call them my silver strands of wisdom, and have embraced them. :)

jojo
May 28th, 2011, 08:25 PM
My youngest daughter has dark brown hair and I found grey hairs in her hair from the age of 4! just the odd one. Its not unusual to find the odd grey hair in your 20's and it certainly don't mean your old. As well as genes, smoking and zinc deficiencies can cause people to grey early.

I found my first grey at around 28 but only had say 5! then I lost my dad 2 years ago and I now have noticeable greys pooping up. His death hit me hard, so stress can also speed the process up! but they really don't worry me. Mother nature is very clever as not only does she lighten our hair but also our skin to blend! I kinda like that!

Quixotica
May 28th, 2011, 08:28 PM
I'm 29 and am pretty much completely grey.

I found my first grey when I was about 21. I'm pretty sure it's genetic, my dear ole mum was totally grey at 30.

That's why I'm a serial chemical color-er, and don't apologize for it! I just can't embrace being almost completely grey in my 30s.

Lianna
May 28th, 2011, 08:51 PM
May I add thyroid issues to that list, jojo? :D Which I have, but I've been medicated since childhood, so my sparkles are really genetic.

shawty
May 28th, 2011, 09:12 PM
I don't know if this helps, but I am honestly, truly... SO JEALOUS! gah!

jojo
May 29th, 2011, 03:55 AM
May I add thyroid issues to that list, jojo? :D Which I have, but I've been medicated since childhood, so my sparkles are really genetic.

well i didnt know that and 2 years ago i was diagnosed, well i never!:)

newbeginning
May 29th, 2011, 07:43 AM
I actually started going gray in my late teens. I finally got sick of it in my late 20s and have been dying it since then.

lorelai2012
May 29th, 2011, 09:03 AM
Don't worry my lovely. I've had the odd grey hair since I was 20, and now I'm 25 its starting to have larger patches around my temples. I'm kind of annoyed as have been dying my hair since my teens in various colours but only since i decided to look after my hair and not dye it I've started noticing more and more greys! As my hair was very sunbleached at the bottom I decided to run a semi-permanent dye through my hair the other day, and I'm not thrilled with the results as my greys just have a slight red-brown tinge to them rather than having absorbed the colour which is what I'd hoped for! Never mind.

beez1717
May 29th, 2011, 08:50 PM
I tend to have small amounts of grey hair and i'm 22. I guess it's just genetics. I'm actually curious to see what color my hair ends up when i'm an old man...... LOL!

christine1989
May 29th, 2011, 09:05 PM
I often get what looks like gray or light blonde hairs coming in near my hairline. They usually grow a few inches then start turning dark brown to match the rest but for a while they are real grays! When I began using castor oil on my hemline I got a big streak of them coming in together and it looked really cool.....until they turned brown :(. I don't know why this might be but I assume one day they will just come in and stay grey :laugh:.

reneemichelle
May 29th, 2011, 09:28 PM
I've had quite a few grey hairs since I was 16 years old and back then I was dying my hair black so they really stood out. My natural hair colour is a dark blonde and recently I managed to dye the length close to that so I've decided to stop dying it and leave the grey alone. I haven't seen my natural hair colour for many years especially with grey added to the mix so it is going to be an interesting process.

Sunshineliz
May 30th, 2011, 08:13 AM
I often get what looks like gray or light blonde hairs coming in near my hairline. They usually grow a few inches then start turning dark brown to match the rest but for a while they are real grays! When I began using castor oil on my hemline I got a big streak of them coming in together and it looked really cool.....until they turned brown :(. I don't know why this might be but I assume one day they will just come in and stay grey :laugh:.

I have some hairs that do that. I just think of it as the color "sputtering out." And if it's doing that in a streak, it might eventually be fully gray streaks. I've definitely got those.;)

boomtownrat
May 30th, 2011, 08:29 AM
You are awesome! That's what I'm going to start calling my journey to greyland.

Yay! And thanks. :)

Heatherzilla
May 31st, 2011, 07:03 PM
I'll trade you. I got asked the other day what high school I go to. =[ I need some grey hair so I stop looking 16. I can't help that I'm short and baby faced. =[

My boyfriend has the loveliest strands of silver. They make him look distinguished. I love them. I hope when I grey it looks as good.

WittyWordsmith
May 31st, 2011, 09:11 PM
When I was 13, my mother found a patch of grey hairs at my temple. Since then, I've learned that it's a genetic characteristic that in my family manifested in 1 of 2 ways: a clump/streak of greys or multiple colors within an eye. My dad got the streak, and gave it to me. My sister has an eye that's 2 different shades of brown.

With that discovery, I pretty much had to just come to grips with it. I dyed my hair much of my life just because I liked playing with color. To be honest, I would show off my grey streak as much as I could to anyone who would look (that's if they were peaking out at my roots.)

My little sister was just telling me the other day that she started greying at 18. She's 23 now, and they are pretty obvious. She gets it from her dad, my step-dad. SHE likes them, but people around her can be unkind, and she's had a co-worker go so far as to pull them out of her head when she's not paying attention!

I found out that aside from my genetic streak, I may not go grey for a good while. I kind of wish it would happen sooner than later because I think that silver/white hair is so beautiful.

The younger you can accept this, the easier it will be (and cheaper) long-term. Be bold, and embrace this natural beauty.

cheetahfast
June 1st, 2011, 07:00 AM
Many of my asian friends have greys. I think they're more visible since their hair is dark. They complain about them, but I think they look pretty, like silvery highlights.

Scarlet_Heart
June 1st, 2011, 07:48 AM
I was 15 when I found my first one. I'm 27 now and henna over them but I don't have too many. I guess they showed up early but haven't been reproducing very quickly.

wendyg
June 1st, 2011, 08:19 AM
You know people pay a lot of good money for what you guys have got there: HIGHLIGHTS.

wg

ashke50
June 1st, 2011, 09:39 AM
I have a streak of white hairs, but that doesn't really count, cos it was caused by a skin infection years ago.
My little sister, who is 22, has a sprinkling of white hairs. They aren't very noticeable, since her hair is dark blonde with lots of colour variation, but they are wirier than her normal hair.

On the other end of the scale, my granny (who is nearly 80) still has mostly non-white hair, and gets very cross as everyone assumes she dyes it. She is actually pleased to be starting to get some grey growing in, as it proves it is her real hair colour!

curlymarcia
June 1st, 2011, 10:17 AM
My husband started graying at 18. Now at 32, he has a looot of grays and it is proud of his silver hair. I feel grays are elegant. Nothing to be ashame of. But if you are not ready to go gray yet, color your hair.

JuliaDancer
June 1st, 2011, 10:49 AM
What an awful experience, I am very sorry it happened to you!
I am 25 and I noticed my first greys when I was 19, I have dark hair so they are quite noticeable!!
Occasionally I put a semi permanent colour through my hair mostly because I dont LOVE my natural colour, and this has also dealt with the greys so I dont have to think about them much.
I actually dont mind my greys though, I have become attached to the way they shimmer in the sunlight and I imagine that each grey hair is an experience, great event or loss in my life and that I have earned them. They remind me that ageing is inevitable and that one day I will have a head-full of beautiful shimmery white grey hair like my grandmother who I love dearly and is a very stylish amazing lady.

I also think they make me look different to the huge percentage of women that dye them out and I dont like to run with the pack.

And on the lighter side of things I am a medical student and afew grey hairs might increase my credibility too hahaha :D

So try not to stress about them, dye over them if you need to but it is a fact of life and a fact of who you are.

I also need the grey hair credibility! Not only do I look very young to most people, but I am a woman working in construction with a lot of older men... I have a bit of a grey streak going on near my part, and if I part my hair toward the middle, you can see them against my dark brown hair. I love it though! I want it to fill in more to look more striking. My hairdresser once asked me if I wanted to dye my hair because I have so many greys in that one spot, and I said NO!!!

ETA: Oh, I also started to grey when I was in high school. My dad has a full head of almost completely white hair, and my mom has greys all over her head, but she dyes her hair. I don't think I'll ever dye my hair, but if I do, it would definitely be with natural dyes.

carmenvanessa
June 1st, 2011, 11:05 AM
I have noticeable gray hair, I got it from my dad's side. It started when I was 20, I like the way it looks against my dark brown/black hair. I dyed my hair recently with henna and it makes awesome red highlights, which I also love! People who think gray hair is ugly are stupid.

3azza
June 1st, 2011, 11:20 AM
I'm 27 with hundereds of grays on my head. I got my first during my teens and they increased more and more (due to extremely stressful periods i think). Two years ago, i thought it's time to do something about it because i don't like them. Not only they are concentrated on my frontal line, but also they pop out of my curls. So i'm using henna every two months to hide the greys, i'm not a big fan of salt and pepper during 20s. Maybe later on i might embrace them, but not at the moment.

ole gray mare
June 1st, 2011, 11:26 AM
I found my first one at age 12. Then I had a few in highschool. But they didn't really start to multiply until I had my son, at age 20.

I dyed until I was 25 and then liberated myself from the hair dye. One of the best decisions I've ever made.

I really do love my silver.

kellinaturalmom
June 1st, 2011, 11:58 AM
I started finding grey hairs in my early 20's. My mom started in her teens was completely grey in her 30's. I used to chemical dye but then discovered henna. Henna is awesome! It is actually good for your hair. It covers those pesky greys and the colors that you can get with henna and indigo are beautiful. I am not ready to show my "lack of pigment" yet!

Kristamommyx3
June 1st, 2011, 12:24 PM
I probably will never go grey...in my family, one side goes grey very early, my Paternal grandmother went totally grey at 19 right after she had my father. On my mother's side, my Grandmother had totally chocolate brown hair at 82. My mother is almost 60, and has only two or three tiny grey hairs at each temple. The cousins that have taken after my Dad's side have all started greying and some are five or more years younger than I am. So, I am guessing, as I said, I probably take after my mother.

hyettf16
June 1st, 2011, 02:41 PM
Not me but my boyfriend is 18 and he has one. I plucked it a few months ago and now it's back almost two inches lol.

Lollipop
June 1st, 2011, 05:44 PM
My sister has had greys for as long as we can remember. At 17, she is sporting a grey streak in the back of her head (I suppose that it's orange after henna). My family joked that she has so much hair that her body cannot sufficiently produce enough melanin(we're a family of nerds :p).

BlazingHeart
June 1st, 2011, 07:27 PM
I don't have greys, I have translucent hairs with no pigment in them. From any distance greater than about a foot, they look silvery blonde, so they blend in a bit because that's the lightest color I have naturally. (I'm really blended in color - I have natural pale highlights on the very surface of my mostly light brown canopy, medium brown with hints of red for most of my hair, and then deep red-brown at my nape/rear hairline.) Up close, they look like very thin fiberoptic cables.

My only problem is that those hairs tend to be more fragile - they get snapped and end up halo'ing me. I'm not fond of that, and I occasionally pull one or two out when they're really obnoxious about not lying down nicely.

~Blaze

Ravenne
June 1st, 2011, 08:16 PM
I found a streak at my nape when I was 21 and it looked like it'd been growing for about 6 months so I was at least 20 when they started. I blame it on my senior thesis, even though I think the research now says that stress doesn't cause grey hair. I also have a single white strand on my crown. I like it and wish it had more friends. Lol.

Personally, I hope I go shock white. That would be awesome. I love it when I see women with long white/silver hair. I get so jealous. :p I can't help but stare.

DBF (21 now) is already going grey in his beard which I *love*. He looks like he's got his mom's hair so he'll probably get her salt and pepper pattern. But his dad has no grey that I can tell. His sister has some too apparently, but you'd never know it. She dyes. :shrug:

GuardGirl
June 1st, 2011, 08:27 PM
I'm 24, and last summer I found my first grey. I've found 20+ more since then, which is why even though I would prefer to grow out my natural color, I've decided to keep my hair colored blonde. I'm not ready to be grey!

bettylibertine
June 2nd, 2011, 01:23 AM
My partner started going grey when he was 3. He's 22 now and they're taking over his mostly black hair lol.

AshNight1214
June 3rd, 2011, 01:10 PM
My dad started graying when he was about 18. He's still salt and pepper (mostly pepper, I might add) at 56. His dad was the same way. I also knew a guy who had a profoundly white patch on top of his head at 15. No worries!! :)

Roscata
June 3rd, 2011, 04:12 PM
Yeah I started to see my first grey hairs around 22, now I have enough of them for people to notice when my roots start growing and henna can't mask them anymore. So don't worry you're not alone! :D

ChatNoir
June 3rd, 2011, 04:15 PM
I'm 19, and have silvers popping up through my otherwise dark blonde hair :) You're not alone!

katsrevenge
June 3rd, 2011, 06:47 PM
I started going grey at 12. I hated it.

KatCooke
June 4th, 2011, 12:02 PM
I started going gray at about 20, because the hairs were so sparse and my natural color is so dark, it just looked strange. My grays are actually a very pretty pearly white color, and they pick up color really well (henna looks awesome, bright & vibrant)
I'm 26 now, and I still color them because I don't like the random sparsity, but I am keeping an eye out for that first real streak- then I will stop dye-ing for sure!:disco:

Star87
June 4th, 2011, 12:40 PM
I got my first gray hair 2 weeks ago. I am 23. I cried as well lol. I laugh about it now because I kinda saw it coming, I have a 3 year old, I am a manager at a 5 star restaurant. Stress effects us in many ways. I haven't found another one, but I am defiantly looking!! ;)

cygus
June 16th, 2011, 09:32 AM
I had my 1st gray at that age too, but it didn't really increase. I can understand the pain, because now I have grays at my temple, and with dark hair it is very obvious, especially when hair is in a pony tail.

One option I used to do was to get a really good colorist and have them do very minimal highlights (not too light) with the specific intention to cover the gray without having to color all my hair.

Audrey Horne
June 16th, 2011, 11:19 AM
I found my first one a few weeks ago and freaked out :-) I had no idea when do they start to appear... Everyone dies their hair nowadays, so you never hear about going gray :-S Now I found three tiny gray hairs, so I think it's just the time...

pink.sara
June 16th, 2011, 01:52 PM
I started going gray at about 20, because the hairs were so sparse and my natural color is so dark, it just looked strange. My grays are actually a very pretty pearly white color, and they pick up color really well (henna looks awesome, bright & vibrant)
I'm 26 now, and I still color them because I don't like the random sparsity, but I am keeping an eye out for that first real streak- then I will stop dye-ing for sure!:disco:

^ that's pretty much the same as me. Found my first grey at 20. Still only have about 5 on each temple and a random 1 or 2 on top but quite like the idea of streaks when I'm older.
Greys are no biggie :)

Amber_Maiden
June 16th, 2011, 02:08 PM
My husband is 28, and when I met him when he was 25 he was just starting to get grey hair... Theres a lot more now, which he blamed me for! LOL :P

And then theres me, who has had a shock of white behind the left ear since she was 17... One of the reasons why I henna... lol

turtlelover
June 16th, 2011, 02:11 PM
I dyed my hair from age 23 to age 35 due to some gray w/ Robert Craig haircolor (which was GREAT STUFF and very non-damaging!), but I finally stopped when I reached 35 because I was sick of having roots show after a week and a half. Now I am embracing the gray. I still get a lot of random hair compliments despite it, and I don't plan to go back to coloring again -- I actually like the gray better now that I have more of it than when there were just a couple of strands. I think the gray looks cool in updos, and I have a couple of streaks going on that I particularly like.

Paranda Belle
June 16th, 2011, 04:41 PM
I have a few, but I think I am going grey alot later than my parents did. Which is good because I think greying is genetic. I'm thinking about henna/indigo for mostly condition, but also to colour those 5 or so greys.

Also, My greys are really odd. They start out black (my natural colour) fade to brown, then turn white. One hair even turned back to black!!

MandyBeth
June 17th, 2011, 10:05 AM
I've had random scattered silver/white grays for years, I think I found my first when I was 13 or 14? I forget, I was at the age of dyeing my hair every color in the rainbow.

I've got areas of pale blonde/white that are from scalp/hair damage from PPD, but I don't know how those count or not. They are white or almost, but they will eventually I assume got to the silver/white like the rest of my hair.

I just turned 30 and in pictures you can't see the grays, in person, they are pretty obvious. I want a nice proper streak, but nooo, mine just like to scatter around.

unicornologist
June 17th, 2011, 11:59 AM
Oh yeah, Just a few months ago I found one-and then another and another and another (I'm 24). They appear to all be originating around the same area of my head-just a couple inches from my hairline right in the middle AND they all appear to be about the same length...hmmm. At first I freaked out, but I'm not too concerned about it. I actually kind of have a morbid fascination with pulling them out and examining them against dark surfaces. (yeah, yeah, I'm a weirdo)...I also taped the first few I found on the inside cover of my day-planner with a note that says "CHILL OUT"...just to remind myself that worrying is "as effective as trying to solve an algebra equation by chewing bubblegum"......which, now that I think about it....I did read somewhere that people do better on tests if they are chewing gum...huh, oh well...but I digress.

jojo
June 18th, 2011, 03:59 AM
I don't have greys, I have translucent hairs with no pigment in them. From any distance greater than about a foot, they look silvery blonde, so they blend in a bit because that's the lightest color I have naturally. (I'm really blended in color - I have natural pale highlights on the very surface of my mostly light brown canopy, medium brown with hints of red for most of my hair, and then deep red-brown at my nape/rear hairline.) Up close, they look like very thin fiberoptic cables.

My only problem is that those hairs tend to be more fragile - they get snapped and end up halo'ing me. I'm not fond of that, and I occasionally pull one or two out when they're really obnoxious about not lying down nicely.

~Blaze this is exactly what "grey" hair is, its hair that no longer produces pigment.

Savvyhorsez
June 18th, 2011, 05:34 AM
I've been having grey hairs since I was 14. Some people are just different, and in my case I think it's stress.

I wouldn't worry about it, I certainly don't anymore.:)

Dark Queen
June 18th, 2011, 10:00 PM
I started getting pure white hairs around my temples when I turned 21. Over time, I've grown in a few more whites and grays. I guess I'm a Rennegray in training :D

noelgirl
June 18th, 2011, 11:40 PM
I noticed my first few a few months ago, right before my 27th birthday. Haven't noticed more since.

Celtic Morla
June 19th, 2011, 12:43 PM
I starting going grey at 13 so you're way later than me!

I have been resolutely grey but I have an issue as my greys as so translucent that as they get longer they pick up the residual blond colour in my hair so I am grey at the root blondish at the tips!! I refuse to dye it because its awful for your system BUT I am thinkign about Henna I want to try to accomlish a strawberry shade as I want to start a Celtic Group and what is more fun than hte reddish hair?!?!!?

vintage88
June 19th, 2011, 01:17 PM
Nice to hear from so many people! I found another grey today, i've decided to embrace them :D

Dr. Girlfriend
June 19th, 2011, 01:22 PM
I'm 26 and have found a few white hairs... but they are in my eyebrows. :O

aimison
June 19th, 2011, 01:26 PM
I'm 25 and started finding greys a few years ago (probably around 22 or 23). I henna though so usually I don't see them as much unless I'm overdue. It's a shame I can't find a way to be a henna-head with silver bits -- I think they're pretty!

Dark Queen
June 19th, 2011, 01:31 PM
Nice to hear from so many people! I found another grey today, i've decided to embrace them :D

Same here :D! I figure I'll eventually go for the Lilly Munster look, LOL

Sunshineliz
June 19th, 2011, 01:49 PM

Yay! You should officially join the Renegrays--we're fun.:eyebrows::D

Same here :D! I figure I'll eventually go for the Lilly Munster look, LOL

I think Lily Munster is going to have to be my new hair idol LOL! Add some length and I'm already there :D. By the time I get that long again though, I may be more salt & peppery than streaky:mad:.

lokiveil
June 19th, 2011, 02:58 PM
I also started graying early (I had the first one show up at 15, and promptly began dying my hair, lol). My grandmother had white hair by 17, my mother in her late 20s (she won't tell me an age, lol), and I know that mine at 29 is about half gray on my roots (henna is amazing:p).
Don't feel bad, and personally I would have ripped that hairdresser a new one. No one has a right to make you feel that way, and she should be ashamed of herself.

On the bright side, when I do decide that it is okay for me to have white hair (I'm guessing I will be in my 60s, lol), I know exactly the shade it will be a silvery white ;)

vintage88
June 19th, 2011, 03:59 PM
[quote=Sunshineliz;1653895]Yay! You should officially join the Renegrays--we're fun.:eyebrows::D

Yeah I would love to officially become a Renegray :)

Sunshineliz
June 19th, 2011, 08:39 PM
[quote=Sunshineliz;1653895]Yay! You should officially join the Renegrays--we're fun.:eyebrows::D

Yeah I would love to officially become a Renegray :)

Just go to the Salt & Pepper thread and ask Mellie! We love new members:heart:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=16951&page=1629

jexichan
June 19th, 2011, 09:20 PM
My partner and I both have found grey or silver hairs and we are 23 and 24. I think embracing them is your best bet, in whatever manifestation works best for you. I'm in the habit of hennaing my hair, so I'm actually excited about the really bright strands I'm getting...and my partner's silvers contrast beautifully with her raven locks. Both of our mothers have tried to pull them out, though, and we've had to fend them off...they prefer the eradication technique.

gergelul
June 20th, 2011, 11:49 AM
I have one gray hair for some years now( and I'm 19), and that's the only one. Yes, my hair is weird

twilight_faerie
June 20th, 2011, 12:26 PM
I have a couple of greys and I'm 24. I've actually had some grey hairs since I was 8, though that may be due to my vitiligo (any hair growing out of an unpigmented splotch is grey or white).

Dark Queen
June 20th, 2011, 05:21 PM
I think Lily Munster is going to have to be my new hair idol LOL! Add some length and I'm already there :D. By the time I get that long again though, I may be more salt & peppery than streaky:mad:.

Haha! Mine's kind of salt & peppery too, but I figure it will eventually even out a bit. At least it seems to be doing so :hmm:.

CavySong
October 4th, 2011, 08:02 AM
My mother in law found my hubby's first gray hairs when he was 8 years old. Yes, in 3rd grade! by twenty he had noticeable silver at his temples. Now at 47, he is way more salt than pepper.
Apparently his father was completely white at 25, and dyed his hair the rest of his life.
I have been steadily going gray since before I was 30, but still have less than, say, 3% silver at 46. I call them my "Sparkles." :D

vintage88
October 4th, 2011, 08:40 AM
My mother in law found my hubby's first gray hairs when he was 8 years old. Yes, in 3rd grade! by twenty he had noticeable silver at his temples. Now at 47, he is way more salt than pepper.
Apparently his father was completely white at 25, and dyed his hair the rest of his life.
I have been steadily going gray since before I was 30, but still have less than, say, 3% silver at 46. I call them my "Sparkles." :D

I like to call them sparkles too! :)

Oksana
October 4th, 2011, 10:15 AM
My boyfriend is 22 and has got quite a few grey hairs, i started noticing them about 3 years ago. It isn't a shock to him as his father went grey quite young. He doesn't mind and i think it really suits him :)

I'm not sure when i will start to grey. My dad went grey in his 30's, my mum hasn't got any grey hairs at 50 and my nan is 83 and has just started noticing some greys!

irishlady
October 4th, 2011, 10:42 AM
I know it's easier said than done, but I'd try not to worry so much.
I am 24 and also find a grey hair every now and then, I just pluck them out lol.

tanpopokitty
October 4th, 2011, 10:43 AM
Oh I feel you! My dad's hair turned almost all grey by the time he was in college, so I expected it would happen to me, but hoped it wouldn't! I am 19 now, and I've had a considerable amount of grey hairs come in. I've had a lot of, "Oh my god, you have a grey hair!" comments too, so that doesn't make me feel great. :p I'm not too worried about it these days though, since I found out I can henna if I ever need it. ( I'm terribly afraid of chemical dyes! )

Maktub
October 4th, 2011, 11:43 AM
I'm now 29 and I have a few... I started to notice them around 24 or 25 I think ...
Not in love with them, but trying to developp the love...

Hypatia415
October 4th, 2011, 12:04 PM
I feel grays are elegant. Nothing to be ashame of.

I also think grey hairs are quite elegant. I wish I had some!

Ermine
October 4th, 2011, 12:43 PM
I don't know, maybe I don't know what I'm talking about, but I wish I could start greying that young. At least it seems better than what happens in my family. We tend to go ashy and thin and then go grey in our late 40s if I'm anything like my parents.