PDA

View Full Version : Trimming own hair

Slinks
May 27th, 2011, 11:00 PM
Trimming ones own hair has been bought up in many threads .. I want to know how you built up the confidence to do it ? I've often thought about doing it BUT I've always thought why should I, when I really like and want to support my hairdresser, plus the fact that I don't think I have the confidence to .. Well *sigh* this is not a "I had a disastrous hair experience" lol :-) I got my hair trimmed this morning, I like to cwc so I prepped with a c wash before going .. since joining LHC I've been very conscious of how to treat my hair just like every one else, careful combing, no blow frying and wash with cool water .. the last cut I had was just a few weeks before I joined and all was well .. I thought to myself one small blow fry every 4 months wont be so bad .. Well, lol, this is funny, the water was too warm, I had to ask her not to towel dry, the comb was ripped too hard thru my hair, I literally cringed, it was a wonder she didn't notice and the blow fryer was just too hot !! anything else I want to complain about while I'm here ?? lol :lol:

so, please give me some info on how you took the plunge to take over your own hair :eyebrows:

agoddess2die4
May 27th, 2011, 11:09 PM
Personally, it was because my hair had been badly chopped for the last time and it couldn't possibly look worse if I did it myself (ok, it could, but I was fairly confident I wouldn't do something too horrible). I did it first a month ago (and again a couple days ago) after a year of trying to convince myself to go back to the salon but just not doing it because it never seemed worth it. I started off by trimming small amounts at a time and when it was still ok and no disaster had occurred, I cut a decent amount to balance out my layers. It took over an hour the first time because I was so careful and paranoid!

You could always try with a small, small trim that way if it does somehow get messed up it won't be very noticeable and it would be an easy fix by your stylist.

UltraBella
May 27th, 2011, 11:16 PM
I do both. I have my hair trimmed and have long blended layers put in at the salon but then I razor cut my own bangs and face framing layers. That way they always turn out exactly how I want, or I only have myself to blame !

christine1989
May 27th, 2011, 11:16 PM
I think a lot of people here self trim due to bad experiences with stylists but I'm not one of them. My stylist is really good and never takes too much off but I like to micro trim VERY often and don't want to pay $40 to take off 1/4 of an inch :laugh:. I have a blunt hemline so trimming is easy plus my hair had enough wave to disguise it if I screw up and trim crooked. :)

agoddess2die4
May 27th, 2011, 11:19 PM
I do both. I have my hair trimmed and have long blended layers put in at the salon but then I razor cut my own bangs and face framing layers. That way they always turn out exactly how I want, or I only have myself to blame !

Oh yeah...I also used to trim my own bangs when I had them because 1/2" of growth a month is average and not a big deal on the length, but on the bangs even small growth is annoying and I'm not going every week to two to have them trimmed. That probably helped my confidence in cutting the rest.

owlathena
May 28th, 2011, 02:02 AM
I've always been fine trimming my own hair because my mom used to have me cut her hair when I was little (we were poor) and she'd cut mine. We had "hair tape" that we'd use to tape the hair down and then cut right above or below the tape. When I got older I cut my own hair. I've been to the salon several times too, but I often do it myself and nobody knows the difference. Go just a tiny bit, and then stop for that day. Whenever I've ended up messing up my bangs or made too short of layers or something its because I didn't stop when I should have. So just take off 1/4 to 1/2 an inch and then put the scissors down, and if you want more off, do it the next day. Theres less pressure if you're not cutting very much.

|Xei
May 28th, 2011, 03:06 AM
The hairdresser I used to go to did a variation of slide cutting on my hair that looked like it wouldn't be very difficult for me to do for myself. The idea of cutting my own hair seemed really fun, and when I did it, it was even more fun than I anticipated for it to be. Doing my own hair ultimately became an enjoyment for me. The confidence I had to dive into it just came with the curiosity and drive to experiment and see what I can do with my hair.

Mesmerise
May 28th, 2011, 03:30 AM
Well... when I had a fringe (bangs!) I used to cut it myself. There were several fringes I made myself too... umm... when I was a kid anyway. At times I used to be a bit too experimental when I was young, but never did anything drastic.

Why I cut my own hair now... well to be honest it means I have more control over it, I don't need to make small talk, and I don't need to pay $20 or more to someone to give me a 5 minute hair trim. I also don't need to be asked if I want layers, or have comments made about my hair :rolleyes:. There's also something satisfying about trimming!

However, I do have to set dates for when I'll trim my hair, or I go overboard... as it's sort of fun and addictive (the other day I dreamed about trimming my hair lol).

Honestly, if you're careful there's not too much that can go wrong, especially if you only cut a bit off. If you don't think your own job is as professional as a stylists, then you can always visit one once a year or so just to make sure your hair is in good shape and not too uneven!

Sunny_side_up
May 28th, 2011, 05:49 AM
last time i trimmed my own hair it was at the length of just passing shoulder, did two pony tails at the side and pulled the hairbands down and trimmed. Felt that my hair was a bit wonkey and ended up trimming more... then askin the other half to trim it:D
I'm imagining when its longer i'll like the whole process of self trimming more, as my aim is to get to BSL then maintain it there. Though i do normally get my mum to trim my hair, she does a good job and does exactly what i request:)

Firefly
May 28th, 2011, 06:58 AM
It took me a loooooong time to work up the confidence to trim my own hair! It finally happened out of desperation because the ends so badly needed it, and there was no way I was going to go to a salon (too many experiences of getting much more taken off then I'd asked for). What helped too was the length-- I was nearing hip and since waist was my original goal I figured if I messed it up too badly, I could have someone else even it out, even if it meant a cut back to waist. Now it's no big deal at all... I've trimmed anywhere from a dusting to a couple of inches! The more you do it, too, the more confident you are about it.

PianoPlaye
May 28th, 2011, 07:19 AM
True confession time?
I've been cutting my own hair since I was 4. :trainwreck:
There's a school photo of a lopsided fringe to prove it. I did learn that this was frowned on & stopped cutting it.
I appear not to be able to communicate with hairdressers very well - one cut went great - a swinging graceful long bob; the next I had the Default Diana with layers. So I began to think I pay too much for a cut that isn't for me.
Time passed & my BSL length mother had just washed her hair & hesitantly asked me to trim the ends for her. Every centimetre I snipped off, I showed her. She was delighted, & now we cut each others hair. In agreed upon millimetre lengths, about each 6 months! :happydance:

Yozhik
May 28th, 2011, 09:11 AM
To tell the truth, I was a bit impulsive. :o

After I first joined LHC, I didn't trim my hair for about 19 months. Then one day, after the nth time of watching Habioku's video tutorial and reading through feye's instructions, I just decided to do it! I waited for my boyfriend to come back home so that he could double-check my precision, and then I lopped off about 2 inches, which by that point desperately needed to go.

I'm quite happy with the result, and am planning to do the same next time I need a cut. :)

metricfuture
May 28th, 2011, 09:40 AM

Ultrabella, do you think your salon background makes you more confident with regards to both cutting your own hair, and trusting that your intentions come across clearly to stylists? I only ask because I'm ok with self trimming my length (though I haven't in quite a long time), but the idea of trying anything with the hair around my face fills me with terror. I guess I'm a weenie.:)

Slinks
May 28th, 2011, 03:27 PM
Thanks for all your answers :-)

has anyone got one of these ?? I think I might get one .. any opinions ??

http://www.creaclip.com/instructional-video.html