PDA

View Full Version : Martial Arts & Hair. Help!

verene
May 27th, 2011, 09:25 PM
I started a martial art about 6 months ago (aikido). Due to advice I'd seen in other threads at that time I opted to pony and braid my hair and leave it at that. This worked for a while.

Problem is, my hair is now to a length (TB) where I now fear pinning the end of my braid with my hands or feet coming out of rolls. (I've come very close a few times). I've tried wrapping the braid around my bra strap and tucking the length down the inside of my gi, but it manages to free itself after a few throws. Today I had a partner grab my braid on accident (It slipped out of my gi) - fortunately we were moving slowly and he noticed before any damage to me or my braid occurred.

Does any one have advice on more secure ways to keep my hair and me safe?

cheetahfast
May 27th, 2011, 09:32 PM
I braid then bun mine on the very top of my head for mixed martial arts/muay thai. It looks a bit silly, but it's pretty safe. When I'm in a clench my hair isn't accidently pulled and it doesn't ever get caught when I'm sparring.

verene
May 28th, 2011, 01:28 PM
How do you secure the bun to the top of your head? Pins slide out of my hair with minimal movement, and I'm afraid to use clips, because if I land wrong I could break the clip which could injure me, and the bits of broken plastic would also pose a risk to others.

chenille
May 28th, 2011, 01:36 PM
I had no luck with pins at all until I picked up a two-pack of Goody spin pins. Actually I am using them now...this morning I just did a single braid, wrapped it around, tucked the end under, put in two spin pins and that's it. No elastics, no clips, and it's held solid for the last six hours. I don't know how it would do in a martial arts class, you might have to experiment with a couple of types of buns, but I highly recommend the spin pins.

silverjen
May 28th, 2011, 01:55 PM
My former aikido sensei (she's still practicing, I got sick and had to quit, so it's really me who is former) has BSL-plus hair. She keeps it in a single braid. The braid starts at the top of her head, and she uses Scrunchies at both beginning and end. It seems to work pretty well for her.

I love aikido. It broke my heart when I had to quit.

silverjen
May 28th, 2011, 01:58 PM
I just realized you're now at TB. Hooray! Maybe try a high braid as I described above, but double it into a loop, and secure the loop with another elastic or scrunchie? That's all I can think of. It sucks getting tangled in things during ukemi, doesn't it.

Panth
May 28th, 2011, 05:39 PM
I used to just tuck my plait down the back of my gi top and then tie the belt on over it, tight. That worked pretty well, although the plait ended up pretty fuzzy by the end of class.

Now I'm past classic, when I go back to martial arts I plan to do some sort of plaited bun. I'd probably use 4-5 claw grips, like arc691. There's an old thread that you could probably find if you searched where she showed her martial arts hairdo - a medium-to-high braided cinnabun held down with about half a dozen medium-sized claw clips. She said that worked fine for rolls and suchlike, and her hair is somewhere in the calf region!

selderon
May 28th, 2011, 05:43 PM
Ooooh! I just thought of something.

Months ago I was looking at bun instructions and I ran across a dance page that recommended sewing a bun (possibly a braided bun) to the scalp hair with monofilament (fishing line) instead of using pins. In effect, you're creating flexible "pins" to hold the bun to the head. Depending on the gauge of the filament, you could use the line without a needle or you could use a heavy, blunt needle to draw it through the hair. You'd finish the ends by tying a knot and you could remove it by snipping with scissors.

Lemur_Catta
May 28th, 2011, 05:48 PM
I can't bun my hair for Taekwondo practice because a bun doesn't fit under my helmet, so I usually do a single English or Dutch braid...but my hair is barely hip, so it doesn't give me a lot of trouble yet.
What I found very effective was hair taping, the ribbon kept the whole thing in place for hours, it was also comfortable. I don't usually do that because it takes too much time, but it's really the best thing. You could use a ribbon close to your hair color so it doesn't stick out much.

cheetahfast
May 28th, 2011, 08:32 PM
I use one spin pin. They're very good once you have it in correctly it won't undo unless you take it out.

Panth
May 29th, 2011, 04:13 AM
Ooooh! I just thought of something.

Months ago I was looking at bun instructions and I ran across a dance page that recommended sewing a bun (possibly a braided bun) to the scalp hair with monofilament (fishing line) instead of using pins. In effect, you're creating flexible "pins" to hold the bun to the head. Depending on the gauge of the filament, you could use the line without a needle or you could use a heavy, blunt needle to draw it through the hair. You'd finish the ends by tying a knot and you could remove it by snipping with scissors.

Hmmm.... if I was doing this, I'd use ribbon (a la Elizabethan hair taping, though not necessarily in a crown shape). That fishing wire stuff cuts through lots of stuff (e.g. if you try to use it as sewing thread) ... I really wouldn't want to try it with my hair!

Nessie_
May 29th, 2011, 04:50 AM
Have you considered doing a crown braid? That way your hair is out of the way. I don't know for sure whether it would be comfortable wearing a crown braid during practice, since my hair is not TB, but it might be worth a shot!

verene
May 29th, 2011, 12:21 PM
Thanks for all of the suggestions. I have considered the crown braid, but I'm still trying to figure out to make one on my own head. I think it would be very practical, as would hair taping... I guess I just need to practice until I can get them neat enough to wear to work, or speedy enough at doing them that I can throw them up before class.

I ended up with double dutch braids, ponied and rope braided together, and then topsy-tailed, this morning. It ate enough length that I could feel safe for today, though I'll want something more secure for the future. I guess do this until I get proficient at crown braids? lol.

I'll try out other suggestions as I have time. :-)

selderon
May 29th, 2011, 03:02 PM
Hmmm.... if I was doing this, I'd use ribbon (a la Elizabethan hair taping, though not necessarily in a crown shape). That fishing wire stuff cuts through lots of stuff (e.g. if you try to use it as sewing thread) ... I really wouldn't want to try it with my hair!

It depends heavily on what diameter you use and how much pressure you put on it. I'd use a heavier diameter. Since monofilament is round (at least appears to be), I'd imagine it would be no more damaging than pins. Button and carpet thread or embroidery floss would be an alternative.

Chetanlaiho
May 29th, 2011, 03:58 PM
I don't have any concrete tips but I just wanted to give a shout out for aikido :) I took lessons a couple of years ago and I still miss it to this day (had to quit because of health reasons, no longer had the energy for it).

Spin pins are amazing but will probably only work if you really know how to fold your head during the roll since them pressing into your skull = painful (speaking from experience here xD). I think I saw someone mention hair taping? (I think Torrinpaige has a tutorial for it using ribbons) That might work :)

celebriangel
May 29th, 2011, 06:52 PM
Yay, another martial artist!

Though I hear that crown braids are really for the medium-length hairs. Torrin paige has videos on both elizabethan hair taping and crown braids, and she says she thinks the former is much better/easier for anyone with hair past BSL or so.

So yeah...you just braid and sew. Faster than crown braiding, I would think.

Another thing you could try would be a braided vortex bun: again, torrin paide on youtube has an excellent video for this one. I would definitely suggest spin pins. Good luck! I currently do a braided bun on my crown, or a french/dutch braid if I'm feeling adventurous (read: didn't get up early enough to change out of my sleep braid :) ), but in a few more inches I think I will be switching to a vortex. I am only at BSL, but some styles are starting to feel "heavy" on me.

ispeakinriddles
May 29th, 2011, 07:06 PM
I do Capoeira and a single braid and a headband is what I always do. Sometimes a messy bun just with a hair tie. But there isn't as much of the risk of pulling/catching there is with Aikido.

You might want to try a tucked french or dutch braid. (image (http://www.frannyslonghairstyles.com/Updos/Tucked_Dutch_Braid_Hairstyle_View_1.jpg)) It does require a few hair pins to secure, but you could maybe figure out a way to tuck the end of the braid under and sort of weave it into the braid on your scalp...maybe even tie the ends underneath with a piece of ribbon or yarn.

beez1717
May 29th, 2011, 08:17 PM
I would suggest that you could put your hair in a bun. I'm just thinking but would a Heidi braid work? I know it keeps a lot of length right up on the head, and it looks cool!

alyanna
May 29th, 2011, 09:06 PM
Would you be able to cover your hair in a scarf? I'm thinking like muslim women wear it. A lot of muslim women who play sports have to keep their scarf on and will just wear the helmet over it. It keeps the hair pretty secure. You could you bun your hair then use a long, soft scarf and secure it at the nape or knot it on top of your head?