PDA

View Full Version : How Much Is Too Much?

MaraJSkywalker
May 27th, 2011, 01:50 PM
I like to brush my hair often; I'll do it in the morning, while I'm doing homework, before I go to bed, before I go out, etc. I use a wide-tooth comb, and am very gentle with it, but I was wondering: can I brush my hair too much?

Misti
May 27th, 2011, 02:06 PM
I like to brush my hair often; I'll do it in the morning, while I'm doing homework, before I go to bed, before I go out, etc. I use a wide-tooth comb, and am very gentle with it, but I was wondering: can I brush my hair too much?

How much hair are you losing?

If you're using a wide tooth comb and not losing a lot of hair, then you're fine, I would guess.

HairFaerie
May 27th, 2011, 02:10 PM
:drama:

Watching this thread because as my hair gets longer, I like to brush it with a boar bristle brush several times a day, just because I like doing it...

Wheatland
May 27th, 2011, 02:24 PM
I think that you're going to find a lot of varied answers. I personally feel like brushing is slightly damaging but not enough to fret about. When my hair was APL I used to brush it all the time because I felt like it was always getting tangled. My hair was damaged back then though (pre-LHC). I don't know if the brushing was contributing to the damage, but I have my suspicions.

Misti
May 27th, 2011, 02:44 PM
For what it's worth, I rarely brush -- I have a boar bristle brush, but I find that it tangles my hair. I use a comb almost exclusively, because I find it leaves my hair smoother and doesn't catch, pull, and tangle like my brush does.

Cowgirl16
May 27th, 2011, 03:21 PM
I was using a comb exclusively myself until last week when I bought a Tangle Teaser:cheese:. I LOVE it, it glides through my hair, and I like how it massages my scalp. I use my TT at least 2x a day.

Madora
May 27th, 2011, 03:36 PM
Having used a natural boar bristle brush for over 40 years, I think I am qualified to suggest that:

1) Brushing is not harmful to your hair PROVIDED you use the right type of brush..a boar bristle brush. No nylon, nothing "reinforced".

2) When to Brush -- in the morning, right after you get up. It is the optimum time to brush (according to Dr. George Michael, the "Czar of Long Hair"

3) How to Brush -- Bend at the waist. Bring all your hair in front of you, like a curtain

4) Take your WIDE TOOTH COMB and taking a small section of hair, start to comb from the ends, up the strands to the scalp..a little at a time. Go slowly!

5) When all your hair has been detangled, then take your bbb and begin to brush from the nape to the ends. FOLLOW EACH MOTION OF THE BRUSH with the PALM of your other hand. This helps tame the static engendered by your brush.

6) How much should I brush? --If you are just starting out..only brush 20 times. Some people brush 30 strokes, 50 strokes, or 100 strokes per day.

Your hair follicles will HURT - badly - if you start brushing 100 strokes a day from the beginning. Start slowly..with 20, then a few days later add another 5..and so forth until you reach your goal.

7) When you have finished brushing your hair, part your hair from nape to forehead. Hold the bottom of the strands in your hand. Stand erect.

8) Take one section of hair and place it behind your shoulder. Do the same with the other section. Do NOT fling/toss/throw your hair over your shoulders! That will only cause more problems and tangles. Remember, the more control you have over your hair, the less trouble with tangles you will have!

9) Comb out again with wide tooth comb.
10) If desired, use Coconut Oil down the length (just a little!)
11) Style as desired.

Note: if you want to brush your hair during the day, that is perfectly all right. You must realize that everytime you brush hair will be lost (most of the time, this is normal).

Just be sure never to brush WET/damp hair and use a pure bbb!
I've seen what nylon brushes can do to hair and it is NOT pretty!

Also, make sure your bbb has a FLAT bottom! Rounded bbbs are solely for SHORT hair. If you use a rounded bbb on long hair, you'll have a Godawful mess in seconds!

Keep your bbb clean! I wash mine every other day.

A bbb needn't cost a mint either! I LOVE my Goody bbb (purchased back in the 70s)! I follow the George Michael regime of 100 strokes a day and no blow drying.

Hope this helps!

HairFaerie
May 27th, 2011, 04:04 PM
Thank you , Madora for the great brushing advice!

Cowgirl16
May 27th, 2011, 07:27 PM
I second the Thank You to Madora. You are very qualified to respond. I think I might try my BBB again. What about the TT? Is it bad for my hair?

spidermom
May 27th, 2011, 07:31 PM
I am confused. You said that you use a wide-tooth comb, but you are wondering if you brush too much. ??? If you are using a comb, you're not brushing.

jojo
May 27th, 2011, 07:35 PM
I use a wide comb to de-tangle and a BBB to brush as madora stated, I do this twice a day.

Watch for brushes with bobbles on them, they will cause breakage and damage. If you need to brush as madora said use a BBB as its not harmful to hair due to hair on hair. Plastic and nylon bristles will generate heat and eventually cause damage.

MonaLisa
May 27th, 2011, 07:36 PM
Such a great reply from Madora!! :)

*taking notes*

Madora
May 27th, 2011, 09:39 PM
Ladies, glad I could help re: brushing

Personally, I do not recommend the Tangle Teazer because it is plastic..and plastic generates heat, which is not good for your hair. But that's just me. If you enjoy it, then go right ahead.

I will say my cats ADORE the TT! Even the ones who didn't like brushies before now can't wait to be brushed!

torrilin
May 28th, 2011, 06:23 AM
IMO there isn't a hard and fast rule on how much handling is too much. I find my hair does best with minimal handling. For most of the week, I did finger combing enough to get my hair smooth enough to style and stuffed it up in a bun or braid. (I've been having massive allergy attacks and have been feeling really lousy) Yesterday I did a thorough detangling, pulled out what felt like a small dog's worth of shed strands, did a CWC wash half to pamper myself and half to use up product, and then did twin braids twisted up into a bun. Braids are still in and will likely stay in for the weekend. They'll be fuzzy caterpillar braids on Sunday or Monday.

When I take 'em down, there will be another small dog's worth of shed strands caught up in my hair. Pretty much all the tangling will be due to that. But... my hair will have been protected all weekend.

Thing is tho... my hair is fine. Fine means delicate teeny strands that snap easily. So for me that minimal handling is a big deal. For someone with sturdier hair, not so much.

Dragon
May 28th, 2011, 06:34 AM
If you are wearing it down, I think if you comb/brush throughout the day, it would be less damaging then if you did it a few times a day because I think if you let it tangle to badly before you comb/brush it, it would cause more breakage. But if you are wearing it up, then I think you would do more damage by taking your hair down several time a day to bush/comb and putting it up again.

woolyleprechaun
May 28th, 2011, 07:48 AM
Just out of curiosity, Madora, what is your washing routine? My hair just doesnt seem to get on with my BBB and I wondered if frequency of washing made a difference. Who is George Michael? I only know of the singer and I gues hes no Hair Guru!!:confused:

long_and_black
May 28th, 2011, 08:06 AM

geesh... I'm so lazy about this... I wash my hair and than just put it up with a hair claw. It stays like that till the evening of the next day, when I finger-comb it, than put it up again with the claw. And it pretty much stays like that till the next time I wash it. I wash it at 4 days.

And even my hair care routine is extremely simple... plain honey siluted in water on it (keep this mask on for 3-4 hours, I usualy forget about it, that's why I keep it that long) ---and than I shampoo with Dove for color-treated hair, just once.

My whole hair care routine just screams lazyness :))) :p oups

PianoPlaye
May 28th, 2011, 10:32 AM
I've got two Denman brushes (I broke the handle off one - please don't ask how) that are now almost exclusively used by the menfolk, and I use a wide toothed comb. As I've thin and fine hair. Whilst I used to brush it like I curry the gelding, I've learned from TLHC that that is in fact a highway to mechanical damage, so I stopped.
Good luck with brushing & enjoying your hair! :)