PDA

View Full Version : How should i wear my hair for a funeral??

bunzfan
May 27th, 2011, 09:20 AM
Hi all. I am due to go to a funeral next week but I'm a bit stuck with what to do with my hair. I want to look my best and smart but i just can't make my mind up on how to wear my hair, if i wore it down it would just get untidy within 30 mins as we live in a seaside town.

I was thinking of two rope braids starting at the crown and going into a rose bun with this hair comb http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/h400/emmerline1/002-1-1.jpg

what do you think? i want to look smart and not dowdy as my mum will probably say i look if i just put it up in a bun.

JuliaDancer
May 27th, 2011, 09:43 AM
Hi all. I am due to go to a funeral next week but I'm a bit stuck with what to do with my hair. I want to look my best and smart but i just can't make my mind up on how to wear my hair, if i wore it down it would just get untidy within 30 mins as we live in a seaside town.

I was thinking of two rope braids starting at the crown and going into a rose bun with this hair comb http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/h400/emmerline1/002-1-1.jpg

what do you think? i want to look smart and not dowdy as my mum will probably say i look if i just put it up in a bun.

That seems fine, although the comb is a bit on the fancy side for a funeral. But I guess it all depends what kind of funeral it is. Why is a bun dowdy? It probably depends on the rest of your outfit. Buns can be chic too.

Roscata
May 27th, 2011, 10:25 AM
That seems fine, although the comb is a bit on the fancy side for a funeral. But I guess it all depends what kind of funeral it is. Why is a bun dowdy? It probably depends on the rest of your outfit. Buns can be chic too.

Agreed. :agree:

BrightEyes7
May 27th, 2011, 10:29 AM
A funeral is a place where you are supposed to look respectful. A bun would be a perfectly appropriate hairstyle, not dowdy.

I think your idea sounds wonderful!

bunzfan
May 27th, 2011, 10:30 AM
Oh do you really think so? i also have various hair forks, ketylos, flexi 8's. I was thinking of a braided bun as they hold so much better and i don't want to have to keep checking my hairs not coming un done.

Magdalene
May 27th, 2011, 10:47 AM
That sounds lovely.

Ishje
May 27th, 2011, 10:50 AM
it looks really nice, but I would personally go for a more plain comb or stick :)
I agree with BrightEyes7, a bun is a good hairdo for a funeral.
in my opinion most buns never look dowdy, I think they look classy or graceful.

In2wishin
May 27th, 2011, 11:35 AM
Another vote for a bun with an understated stick or fork or just hidden pins. Whatever you feel comfortable with and isn't overly flashy will be very appropriate.

Nymph
May 27th, 2011, 11:40 AM
I also agree that it's more appropriate to wear your hair in a bun, or in any case in a style that won't have you fidget with it all the time...

bunzfan
May 27th, 2011, 11:42 AM
Thank you ladies its great to a get different opinions. I'm now wondering if a very low bun would look better similar to a 1930's bun if you get my meaning.

ashamanjababu
May 27th, 2011, 11:45 AM
I agree, perhaps a plainer hairstick? Also, while I don't think buns are dowdy, it's generally okay, perhaps even expected, to look a little dowdy at a funeral.

serious
May 27th, 2011, 12:11 PM
I'd go with a low bun with plain, dark stick or fork or, as In2wishin already suggested, just hidden pins.

Alvrodul
May 27th, 2011, 12:20 PM

Think simple and unobtrusive. The bun is fine, but I agree with those who say that the comb is too fancy. See if you can find something in a dark, sober color - black, deep purple, deep blue or a similar color would be best. Definitely avoid strong and cheerful colors, and anything glittery is an absolute no-no!

bunzfan
May 27th, 2011, 12:33 PM
Think simple and unobtrusive. The bun is fine, but I agree with those who say that the comb is too fancy. See if you can find something in a dark, sober color - black, deep purple, deep blue or a similar color would be best. Definitely avoid strong and cheerful colors, and anything glittery is an absolute no-no!

Thank you for this, in that case i will wear my dark wood hair fork in a simple low cinnamon bun.

Misti
May 27th, 2011, 01:46 PM
Thank you ladies its great to a get different opinions. I'm now wondering if a very low bun would look better similar to a 1930's bun if you get my meaning.

I think a low braided bun would be very appropriate. Very stable, intricate enough to suggest that you took some trouble to dress respectfully without being so flashy that it looks like it could distract people from honouring their beloved dead.

MoonlightShadow
May 27th, 2011, 06:55 PM
well...umm...>.>...<.<....it is a funeral...maybe something simple? maybe a low bun...i'm not so sure that it would be..um.."respectful?" to be a bit "out-there" at a funeral...im sorry, im terrible with words.. :(

dragonchickx
May 27th, 2011, 07:03 PM
yeah I love the bun!! I also agree with a difference hair comb, one not as metalic.. Pics!!

jojo
May 27th, 2011, 08:03 PM
I wore a braided bun for my dad's funeral. Hope the day goes well, it doesn't matter what your hair is like up will be easier. Will be thinking of you and hope it helps heal things for you. Much love and hugs Joanna xxx

11eleven
May 27th, 2011, 09:45 PM
I doubt the deceased and serious mourners will actually care or notice how you wear your hair

jaine
May 27th, 2011, 10:09 PM
I doubt the deceased and serious mourners will actually care or notice how you wear your hair

Agreed ...I guarantee you no one is going to be thinking "oh my god she wore a shiny hair comb"

AnnaJamila
May 27th, 2011, 10:26 PM
As long as you don't show up in a feathered, sparkly red cocktail dress I think you're good!

I'm sorry for your loss; my vote is something understated and secure so your mind won't be on it all day.