PDA

View Full Version : Don't think I will want to wear it up all the time

Lilli
May 27th, 2011, 07:37 AM
I am fussy and have a sensitive scalp. Even when my hair was BSL before, I never wore it up. It was benign neglect (only oiled and braided at night) and very healthy. I am almost APL and still am not wearing it up. Is this such a disaster? Why should I change? I figure, if I am going to have long, shiny hair, I want to see it and be seen.

KatiSasha
May 27th, 2011, 07:45 AM
I don't think that you absolutely have to wear your hair up all the time for it to be healthy. As long as you keep an eye on your ends and they're holding up just fine do as you please. I think many people here do the updos because they either don't like the hair in their face, get a lot of damage when they wear it down, or simply prefer the pretty hairstryles. Whatever it may be, you have to enjoy your hard work and wear your hair as you see fit. No one should tell you otherwise.

mustpannkook
May 27th, 2011, 07:47 AM
I don't wear my hair up all the time and it feels just fine. I keep it up when I eat or work out or when it's really windy - my hair is just all over the place.

Fufu
May 27th, 2011, 07:48 AM
I agree, it doesn't mean you have to wear your hair up all the time to have healthy hair.

I will say less heat and chemical on your hair is healthy for the hair in the long term.

littlenvy
May 27th, 2011, 07:49 AM
You can wear your hair anyhow you want. Its your hair and if wearing it down makes you happy ... do so! :)

Wearing hair up is recommended for those who want to grow their hair long (as it TB or longer) it prevents end damage. But if you are not thinking of growing it that long, you don't have to wear it up.

AmericanWoman
May 27th, 2011, 07:58 AM
I wasn't one for wearing my hair up much either. I only do now becuase I work in food service. Much prefer tp wear it long and flowing.

Sereia
May 27th, 2011, 07:59 AM
I wear my hair up all the time when I'm home and sometimes I wear it up at work (I work at a pet hospital. that means it's up everytime we're taking care of an animal.. but whenever I'm free I let it down.)
when I go out it's always down, except if I think there'll be any damage to it (at music concerts, with many people, tangles, etc.)
I want it to be tailbone length and still do so. And I think I will be able of maintaining it's health still letting it down sometimes.. I don't know where's the point of growing long, silky, beautiful hair and not showing it do the world..
but that's just my oppinion :)

what I do is always take care, not letting it touch chairs, getting trapped in my clothes, not letting other people touch it..
I even sleep with it loose, and it never tangles.. haha I think I don't move at all at night.

Madora
May 27th, 2011, 08:07 AM
You can wear your hair any way you wish.

But, if you want hair that is healthy, and not damaged (and I don't mean just the ends either), then it is best to wear it up.

Every time you have to untangle a snarl/matt/tangle, you create some type of damage. Wearing your hair down gives it more opportunities of becoming tangled, or windblown..all necessitating that it be detangled at some point.

Damage can also be caused by unfriendly hair products and by using a blow dryer and backcombing (teasing).

Hair is strong..but not impervious to damage! To have beautiful long hair (tailbone or longer, if that is your wish) then you have to be proactive in its care by protecting it as much as possible. It's as simple as that!

UltraBella
May 27th, 2011, 08:11 AM
When my hair was your length I wore it down all the time ! As it got longer, more things affected it and I started wearing it up. Mine has to be up for work any way, but things like car doors, wind, clothing can really cause issues once your hair is long and you will probably find that there are many times you need to put it up. Until then, enjoy it down :)

pepperminttea
May 27th, 2011, 08:14 AM
For me, I like my hair out the way, and it tangles like there's no tomorrow when it's down. Getting those tangles out later is where the damage comes from for me. That, and getting it caught between things like seatbelts and bag straps.

Incidentally though, I hope you'll wear it up in situations where it's safer; no-one wants to see this (http://www.longhaircommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69467) repeated. :(

UltraBella
May 27th, 2011, 08:18 AM
For me, I like my hair out the way, and it tangles like there's no tomorrow when it's down. Getting those tangles out later is where the damage comes from for me. That, and getting it caught between things like seatbelts and bag straps.

Incidentally though, I hope you'll wear it up in situations where it's safer; no-one wants to see this (http://www.longhaircommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69467) repeated. :(

That was so terrible. The dangers of long hair :(

Even the toaster has almost been a disaster for me. Toaster on, me leaning over the toaster to get a plate from the cupboard. My hair in the toaster !!!! :mad:

JuliaDancer
May 27th, 2011, 08:19 AM
If your goal length is BSL, then I think you're fine wearing it down, as long as it keeps looking good. I'm trying to get to tailbone, and now it's just impractical for me to leave my hair down all the time. It gets caught under my purse strap, in the splinters on my desk, etc. I generally keep it up or at least braided at work. On wash days or the second day, though, I usually let it down in the evenings. It's nice to show off all your hard growing/maintaining work! By the third day, I always just keep it up because it's too oily to leave down. I try to line up my washings so I can have it down Friday and Saturday nights. =)

pepperminttea
May 27th, 2011, 08:25 AM
That was so terrible. The dangers of long hair :(

Even the toaster has almost been a disaster for me. Toaster on, me leaning over the toaster to get a plate from the cupboard. My hair in the toaster !!!! :mad:

Agreed - we have a gas hob, and more than once I have forgotten my hair was down and gotten so close to something terrible happening. shudder:

SimplyViki
May 27th, 2011, 08:33 AM
I didn't think so either, but eventually it became more convenient to wear it up and out of the way. Plus I got better at making comfortable, easy, decent-looking buns instead of just a coil held by an elastic or clip.

spidermom
May 27th, 2011, 08:41 AM
I wore my hair down most of the time until the lower reaches of BSL, then it became a hazard.

Lilli
May 27th, 2011, 09:40 AM
So if I stick with BSL, it is okay to be down. That makes sense. Dh thinks anything longer is "weird," but I still have 8 or 9 months to change his mind. ;-)

I do remember it getting caught in my armpits and behind my back when driving.

Anje
May 27th, 2011, 09:49 AM
If you don't mind what tangles and friction damage you might get from wearing your hair down, by all means, wear it down in all situations where it's safe to do so. (Definitely put it up when working around machinery, fire, or when preparing food for people who won't appreciate 12+ inch shed hairs in it.) We've got members here like EdG who wears his calf-length hair loose exclusively, and we've got people like me who prefer to at least ponytail it from the shortest possible length for sanity's sake. It comes down to personal preference, your hair's resilience to tangles and damage, and your own goals.

Roscata
May 27th, 2011, 10:28 AM
You really should do whatever makes you happy when it comes to your hair. :)

BrightEyes7
May 27th, 2011, 11:13 AM
My hair is currently hip length and the only reason it isn't already longer is because I've been maintaining this lenght trying to grow out dye. I wear my hair down just as often as it's up. I actually am wearing my hair down (as I'm at work) as I type this.

I think as long as you are aware of your hair and how to move it, wearing it down shouldn't be an issue!

jojo
May 28th, 2011, 01:47 PM
I dont have that choice no more; its too long to wear down. but i did used to wear it down at shorter lengths with no problems

starbucksaddict
May 28th, 2011, 01:48 PM
As long as you dont use heat, which i think is what damages hair the most, i think youll be fine:)

Lianna
May 28th, 2011, 02:26 PM
I'm still a shorthair but I'm preparing myself for all sorts of surprises that will come with long hair (and reading this forum prepares me for it). Like others said, after a certain length it can be damaging, specially if you don't keep an eye on it to prevent tangles. I find finger combing while the hair is down helps because when you get home and detangle it won't be very difficult.

I'm secretly happy my hair tangles now. :D (must mean it's growing!) Some people like the tangle teezer too, seems to make the detangling process way easier and a boar bristle brush really smooths the hair, which is another thing that prevents more tangles (at least for me).

I think it shouldn't have any forbidden things or procedures, but we should be gentle, patient and knowledgeable about what we choose to do.

Slinks
May 28th, 2011, 03:09 PM
I wear my hair down when I go out, it's midback, almost to waist, hip is where I plan to maintain it .. it's winter here and is hard to wear up !! lol, it's too cold .. I sleep with it up in a hairnet and wear it up in a cloth bathing cap when I workout .. I oil my hair a lot too, so that means my hair is in plaits half the time ..

I've made myself very conscious of my hair, I brush it over my oppersite shoulder when putting my bag or seatbelt on .. when I'm in the kitchen my hair is claw clipped back, if it's not oiled, I don't appreciate hair in my mouth !! let alone others :-)

gthlvrmx
May 28th, 2011, 03:22 PM
If you don't want to, don't! :) It's your hair, do what you want. Just hope they make you happy :)
Only reasons why i always wear it up
1)hair challenge :P
2)minimizes damage(going for extreme lengths)
3)forget my length