PDA

View Full Version : Deep Moisturizing Techniques

Gwen
May 27th, 2011, 06:22 AM
Hey everyone,

So as some of you know, I got rid of my bleach (*le sigh*). I miss it already but I know it's for the best if I want long healthy hair. I had my hair stylist put a ton of low-lights in it that matched my roots and it blended really well. My only issue, is that my hair feels so dry. I want to do a deep conditioning tonight but I am on a tight budget. I've listed below what I have around the house... Can you suggest what to do? I'd like to try an over-night thing, but how do you NOT get product on your pillow? And if you put something over your head, what do you use? I'd rather not be creeking and crackling with a bag all night...

-EVOO
-Morroccan Oil Deep Conditioning mask (5-10 minute leave-in & rinse)
-Tresmme shampoo & conditioner

If you have any other crazy remedies (i.e.: edible stuff) that I can put in my hair, I'd love to hear those idea's as well.

...Still trying to love this new colour! It's tough!

Gwen.

jojo
May 27th, 2011, 06:31 AM
My hair loves honey a good dollop in some ordinary conditioner wrap and leave for a few hours, voila! soft shiny hair!

newbeginning
May 27th, 2011, 06:32 AM
I find store bought leave in hair masks work well as well as olive oil. I obviously let the hair mask sink in then wash it out and the olive oil just soaks in and leaves no mess on my pillow. Good luck.

Mina17
May 27th, 2011, 05:15 PM
When I do an overnight deep treatment I put on a disposable shower cap, then a microfiber hair turban. I also put a towel over my pillow just in case some leaks out. The thin disposable shower caps don't crinkle as much as the heavier duty ones, and I haven't had any problems sleeping with them.

celebriangel
May 27th, 2011, 05:37 PM
You could mix ordinary conditioner, honey and EVOO - I'm sure some people have modified their SMTs this way.

I...would check the label with respect to the hair mask. Some are great; some are loaded with cones so it makes your hair *look* great without really improving the condition of it. If it's good, though, a mix of that with maybe 1/3 as much honey and only a little EVOO - say a few drops to a teaspoon - would be what I would use.

Good luck!

I feel sad, though, when some people find it a wrench "giving things up" for long hair. I mean, lots of us adjust when we find out our hair doesn't need a blowfryer to look good or whatever, but I haven't really been sad to have to give up anything at all. You sound a bit depressed about your current colour, and I very much hope for you that it calms down. I hope the awesome quality of your unbleached hair gives you encouragement when it comes through.

Anje
May 27th, 2011, 05:52 PM
I like SMTs (and lately, aloe-free modifications of them) left on for an hour or so. I don't do the crinkly bag overnight thing either.... :)

You might also want to consider a protein treatment like the Aphogee 2-step, since you've been bleaching. Tends to help hair hold moisture and generally behave better if it's lost protein.

Lux88
May 27th, 2011, 08:12 PM
Ok this is going to sound crazy. and you might look crazy when you do it, sooo do it when you're alone haha.. but a good thing to do is saran wrap your head! so your hair is covered in conditioner, and flattened to your head by snugly wrapping saran wrap to make a cort of cap. I used to do that all the time.. now that me and my bf live together I don't, too embarrassed lol but when I lived on my own I'd do that from time to time and sleep with it in.

jojo
May 28th, 2011, 04:19 PM
^^ this is what most LHCer's do when doing a DC or a carrier bag!