PDA

View Full Version : How much do you shed a day?

ikke1978
May 27th, 2011, 05:00 AM
I was wondering? Is it really average to shed about 100 hair a day? I am expierincing hair loss dus to iron definiciency and probably also thyroid-problems, but the last days my shedding was getting a bit better: about 70 in the shower and about 40 during the day.

Before the shedding started i had only 5 to 10 hair that i lost in the shower.

My question to you all... How much do you shed and is is that normal for you...

very curious about what is normal...

Eva

Zesty
May 27th, 2011, 05:04 AM
This may just be what I notice, but I'm pretty attentive to my hair, and my normal shed number is honestly usually about 5-10. Sometimes less than 5. I've actually been wondering if that's abnormally low or weird (not that I'm complaining).

I'm sorry to hear about your hair loss! :( Hang in there.

Nymphea
May 27th, 2011, 05:09 AM
My shedding is around average, I suppose (about 10-20 a day). I think it also varies from person to person. Hang in and try to solve the problems with iron and to control you thyroid regularly. I'm sure you shedding will slow down.

woolyleprechaun
May 27th, 2011, 05:30 AM
It realy does depend on alot of individual factors. in general, hair has three phases, the active growing time (1-6 years usualy), a resting period of about a fortnight, and then the shedding when a new hair is pushing its way out. how much you shed depends on how fast your hair grows, how long it grows, and most importantly, how thick it is. im no expert, but I do believe your hair loss is usualy a percentage of your overall hair, not a specific number. SO....the more you have, the more you lose! I may well be wrong. Im losing absolute HANDFULLS of hair at the moment due to giving birth, and even though I know Im only losing the hair I retained in pregnancy, Im still bloody terrified! I feel your pain!!!:(:( You can try cinnamon to stimulate your folicles, thats what Im giving a go.....:pray:

ikke1978
May 27th, 2011, 06:01 AM
This may just be what I notice, but I'm pretty attentive to my hair, and my normal shed number is honestly usually about 5-10. Sometimes less than 5. I've actually been wondering if that's abnormally low or weird (not that I'm complaining).

I'm sorry to hear about your hair loss! :( Hang in there.

wow... only 5!! that is fantastic... i remember those days..hahaha

ikke1978
May 27th, 2011, 06:03 AM
It realy does depend on alot of individual factors. in general, hair has three phases, the active growing time (1-6 years usualy), a resting period of about a fortnight, and then the shedding when a new hair is pushing its way out. how much you shed depends on how fast your hair grows, how long it grows, and most importantly, how thick it is. im no expert, but I do believe your hair loss is usualy a percentage of your overall hair, not a specific number. SO....the more you have, the more you lose! I may well be wrong. Im losing absolute HANDFULLS of hair at the moment due to giving birth, and even though I know Im only losing the hair I retained in pregnancy, Im still bloody terrified! I feel your pain!!!:(:( You can try cinnamon to stimulate your folicles, thats what Im giving a go.....:pray:

Sorry for your hair loss.... it is horrible isn't it....

It makes sense about the more hair you have the more you shed.

I do have a lot of hair, but very fine...

I really hope this will end one day before i go bald...

lesbia
May 27th, 2011, 06:34 AM
For me it's less then 50 hair, more when they are greasy and dirty..

jojo
May 27th, 2011, 06:36 AM
I also have hypothyroidism but shed very little 10 hairs a day max but I am more a seasonal shedder and come September to November I shed chunks and then I get a growth spurt until February. This has been the same for the last 4 years.

ikke1978
May 27th, 2011, 06:37 AM
I also have hypothyroidism but shed very little 10 hairs a day max but I am more a seasonal shedder and come September to November I shed chunks and then I get a growth spurt until February. This has been the same for the last 4 years.

Really??? are you on medication for it??
Your hair looks very very nice

sharicat
May 27th, 2011, 06:47 AM
Im losing absolute HANDFULLS of hair at the moment due to giving birth, and even though I know Im only losing the hair I retained in pregnancy, Im still bloody terrified! I feel your pain!!!:(:( You can try cinnamon to stimulate your folicles, thats what Im giving a go.....:pray:

Same here! I'm getting quite worried as my hair now feels thinner than it did pre-pregnancy :(

Even before my pregancies I shed quite a bit every day, probably about 50 hairs. It always seems like more when it's a non-wash day.

JuliaDancer
May 27th, 2011, 07:30 AM
How do you know how many hairs you shed? What about the ones you lose in the shower? Do you trap them before they go down the drain? I've recently started trying to count, but my count is more reliable on days when I don't shower, because I'm not sure what's going down the drain. I lose about 10-20 hairs that I know of from my comb... My hair is somewhat thick, 3-7/8" circumference.

KatiSasha
May 27th, 2011, 07:39 AM
Same here! I'm getting quite worried as my hair now feels thinner than it did pre-pregnancy :(

Even before my pregancies I shed quite a bit every day, probably about 50 hairs. It always seems like more when it's a non-wash day.

It exactly the opposite for me -I shed more on my wash day. Seems like I baby my hair on regular days and everything that should have been shed on those days comes out when I wash LOL

I've been tracking my big shed days (1st day i notice the higher count of hair) and low shed days (day when I go "oh, cool. I'm not shedding today it seems.") and so far it looks like it follws my cycle pretty closely. Don't know if that helps. I'm a bit on an analytical side, but anything to make me feel better about shedding!

ashke50
May 27th, 2011, 08:09 AM
I have been tracking my shed for the last couple of weeks. it is bound to be a bit approximate, as I won't catch every hair, but it seems to be averaging around 40, with far more on wash days, and far fewer in between. I think it is because I don't brush or comb my hair every day, so all those shed hairs only show up when I wash my hair and run my hands through it!

Shoga
May 27th, 2011, 08:09 AM
This is really interesting! I never really kept track of my shed, but every once in a while freak out at the big wad of hair my brush/comb collected. :o I counted it once though, it sure SEEMED like a lot of hair, but that big wad was only about 10 hairs- must be the length which made it seem so dramatic. :o

I think one of these days I'm going to wrap my hair up for 24 hours, then take it out and count the shed. XD

UltraBella
May 27th, 2011, 08:15 AM
Well, I shed a ton. Ugh. But it's always been that way. My hairdresser has always said I have enough hair for three people, so I must shed enough hair for three people as well.
I have killed 5 vacuums so far.......

ikke1978
May 27th, 2011, 11:51 AM
I guess it really depends on the amount of hair you have...

Why can't it just be the hair on my legs that are shedding instead of my scalphair...

hahaha

Friesiangirl
May 27th, 2011, 12:08 PM
Seasonal shedder here too! I shed a LOT in the spring in fall, up to 100 hairs a day for a few weeks. In the winter and summer, I shed around 15-20 per day.

When I first started paying attention, it was spring. And I flipped out! I was sure that I was going to go bald. And baldness runs in the family, so that only furthered my worries. But over time, I realized that it's normal for me.

That's the thing with shedding--it has to be what's normal for you.

Hayley

dragonchickx
May 27th, 2011, 07:36 PM
I was shedding probably 10 a day but now it is probably 30-40.. Ive been through some bad ones though, and the important thing to remember is that it will pass... Its hard and for me it makes me was to cut off my hair just so I dont have to see it all but it will get better.. Hang in there and do whatever you feel will make you happier whether its trying a product or taking a vitamin.

~BoHemiAngel~
May 27th, 2011, 10:52 PM
Wow. I shed so much compared to the posters here! My "regular" shed seems to be around 50-100 per day, but it has been as many as 200 a day (and yes, I did sit there and count them once when the hairball looked like the size of a hamster :( ). I have had my thyroid checked again and again, always normal. Iron level is normal, I'm on a good diet and I take a multivitamin, so I just don't know what I'm doing wrong!! Boo.

christine1989
May 27th, 2011, 10:54 PM
I lose way more combing/brushing than I do in the shower. In the shower I lose mabe 5-7 hairs. Overall I lose about 25-30 a day.

jojo
May 28th, 2011, 08:52 PM
Really??? are you on medication for it??
Your hair looks very very nice

I take levothyroxine 75mcg daily. It hardly grew and got a bit drier when I was first diagnosed, ive been very lucky *touches wood* that my hair has been unaffected by my thyroid problem. My hair has got thicker though since my thyroid function has become more stable.

Hyppothyroidism needs to be controlled for the rest of your life, if you suspect you may have it symptoms are; hypersensitive to the cold, extreme tiredness, dry skin/hair, weight gain and brain fog to name a few.

I suspected I had thyroid problems as I was freezing all the time and my weight was going up. Id had bloods done which showed my cholesterol levels to be very high, which can happen when you are not producing enough thyroxine. It took 3-6 months for me to feel better.

Anaemia can also cause hairloss, so make sure you take iron as prescribed. It will take approx 3 months before you see a difference. Your organs will benefit first and you hair last. But try and eat healthily and get plenty of rest. Hopefully the iron will do the trick, if you still feel the same after your course of medications and your HB levels have raised, id ask for a thyroid function test to be done.

Hope your feeling better soon and this issue is resolved quickly for you xx

ReadHeadGirl
May 29th, 2011, 05:10 AM
About 30-40 ,something like that

woolyleprechaun
July 12th, 2011, 02:55 PM
Sorry for your hair loss.... it is horrible isn't it....

It makes sense about the more hair you have the more you shed.

I do have a lot of hair, but very fine...

I really hope this will end one day before i go bald...
Thankyou for your sympathy! :D Just so you know, my hairloss has ONLY JUST slowed to normal! My only concern now is when my hair thickness returns to normal (hopefully) and I get that weird bulk that looks like spaniel ears!! Realy hope you havent gone bald either :pray:

SoulOfTheSea
July 12th, 2011, 07:16 PM
I think around 10-15, and I can see the little bulb at the end of each one, so I know it's not breakage (thank goodness!!!)

ange1ito
July 12th, 2011, 07:28 PM
I shed up to 250 and above when I was having a major shed last year. It has improved the last few months to under 100 sometimes around 60. I was compelled to count them when I saw such a huge shed. I never experienced it before. All my bloods were acceptable and my GP advised me to change my diet, reduce stress factors etc. I also began using Castor oil. I hope it improve's for you :)

FB
July 12th, 2011, 07:35 PM
My shedding goes in a cycle. Sometimes it is alot.......10-20 a day and then other times I maybe two hairs fall out. But on my shower days I will always without a doubt loose more hair.

InTheCity
July 12th, 2011, 07:38 PM
I could swear I lose a hundred a day. Clumps that I used to say only look big because of my long hair yet are still big with short hair.

growingpains
July 12th, 2011, 07:41 PM
Hmm I was under the impression 100 hairs per day to shed was the normal rate.

My shedding is as follows:
On wash days I shed about 3 in the shower and about 5 when I detangle before the shower (on non wash days I shed these extra amounts when I comb)
When I comb in the am I normally notice about 2 hairs.
When I comb at night I notice about 5.
Total= 15.
Of course hair sheds without us noticing too:) SO, factor in another 10 or so and that equals 25.

I used to shed a lot more for years though. Well over 40 for sure. I especially noticed it in the shower. Also, when I was anemic when I was younger I lost a bunch of hair, it felt out in clumps. Maybe 200 a day. But I got anemia again last year and my hair was fine, probably cause I am not skinny like when I was younger.

Emmental
July 12th, 2011, 08:01 PM
I am really finding that it differs for me based upon how I wear my hear prior to washing and what I'm washing with.

JellyBene
July 12th, 2011, 08:49 PM
not much, probably around 10 to 15. But I know a lot more is normal because my sister (who has GORGEOUS thick long hair) loses a TON. When she removes the hair from her paddle brush it looks like a hamburger patty from McDonalds! And thats every few days and she STILL has a crazy amount of hair!

gogirlanime
July 12th, 2011, 09:53 PM
I used to shed about 110 hairs a day but now that I take MSM and spray black tea into my scalp I shed about 50-60 hairs a day. You can find out more info about the black tea method I use in my signature, click the link.

Ligeia_13
July 13th, 2011, 01:25 PM
OK, I kept track of my shed today and so far I've lost 38 hairs :p I still have my before bed brush which will probably set me back another 5 hairs so I'm in the 40-50 category.

It sounds a lot but I've never really checked or worried about it before. So I have no idea how much it has changed since I started the medication for my thyroid problem.