PDA

View Full Version : Dry, wispy hair..Are these "fairy tale ends"? Please help!

Cryspatus
May 27th, 2011, 01:49 AM
Hi, I don't post very often, but I have been following the wisdom of the forums for over 2 1/2 years now.

My usual hair regimen is oiling 1-2 times a week with olive oil, very few washings because it rarely needs it, and well..that's it. I don't use any heat, I rarely style or do anything w/ my hair except have it in one braid, and I don't use conventional products.

And yet...my hair has been rather wispy and dry at the ends and the crown for over a year. It also seems to be growing rather slowly if at all. I reached BSL last year. Since then, for over a year, I've only grown 1, maybe 2 inches past BSL. (I did have a small trim in the summer, 2 inches).

http://i572.photobucket.com/albums/ss167/zzzpenchant/misc/Photoon2011-05-26at11174.jpg

http://i572.photobucket.com/albums/ss167/zzzpenchant/misc/Photoon2011-05-26at13588.jpg

I can think of only a few reasons/solutions. Maybe this type of hair care isn't for me and my hair responds better to conventional hair care, like pantene deep conditioning,etc. what do you think?

Is it possible i've maxed out my length? Is this what "fairy tale ends" looks like?

What can I do to fix my ends without a big cut? Please help!

Toadstool
May 27th, 2011, 02:36 AM
I can think of only a few reasons/solutions. Maybe this type of hair care isn't for me and my hair responds better to conventional hair care, like pantene deep conditioning,etc. what do you think?

Very pretty photos!
Well, I was wondering have you tried conventional hair care and seen what results you get? if it's wispy and dry at the crown that sounds as though it's growing like that, therefore can't be fairy tale ends.
I don't know why your growth would have stalled, unless it's still growing but breaking off at the ends?
I would try your pantene deep conditioning and then see.

Cryspatus
May 27th, 2011, 03:12 AM
Very pretty photos!
Well, I was wondering have you tried conventional hair care and seen what results you get? if it's wispy and dry at the crown that sounds as though it's growing like that, therefore can't be fairy tale ends.
I don't know why your growth would have stalled, unless it's still growing but breaking off at the ends?
I would try your pantene deep conditioning and then see.

Thanks! :)

No, I haven't tried conventional hair care in years! When I used it last, my hair was short.

I'm going to try it right away. I might as well, because what i'm doing obviously isn't working for me.

I really don't know if it's breakage or what...I do have a lot of shedding but usually the strands have a white dot at the end, like they are coming from my scalp/root. So I figured I wasn't getting a lot of breakage, just general shedding. But i really am not sure.

If anyone has the same kind of hair or a similar experience, please respond! I could really use the advice.

SpeakingEZ
May 27th, 2011, 03:44 AM
I do have a lot of shedding but usually the strands have a white dot at the end, like they are coming from my scalp/root.

Do you mean when the shed strand literally turns itself upside-down in your hair so that the root end is coming out through your hemline? That happens to me quite a bit, I always think it's so strange! I wonder if it happens when I'm bunning then it just gets tangled up in there and I pull it out root-end first.

Has your ponytail circumference changed? That's the only way I can tell if it's normal or abnormal shedding.

|Xei
May 27th, 2011, 03:56 AM
Several years back, I was stuck somewhere between BSL and waist (leaning towards waist). I don't know if my hair got wispy ends, 'cause I had a heavily layered cut, so the ends were cut to look that way. But it grew very slowly, and from my regrowth (I dye my hair), I could tell I was getting less than half an inch of growth per month.

Then I switched to a sulfate-free shampoo and cone-free conditioner, and my hair started to grow past waist. It grew faster as well. I'm now getting half an inch of growth on average, and a little more at the moment since summer tends to do that for me.

I think what happened for myself was that the products I was using were too harsh for my scalp, and as a result, I always shedded most of my longest hairs before they could get past waist. I know it wasn't due to colour-treating it because I still do it, but my hair is growing significantly faster than it used to, and it is also shedding less.

So my advice to you will be to change up whatever you use on your hair, and that may help you. It is also worth it to look into your diet, and see if you're lacking in any nutrients that affect healthy hair growth. If you don't already do so, you may want to start exercising regularly. Increasing the blood flow to the scalp will help to nourish your follicles.

By the way, those are some lovely pictures. You're very pretty.

Chamy
May 27th, 2011, 04:00 AM
I think its hard to tell from the front. But it could count as fairy tale ends yes, it could also count as layers.

Colourful
May 27th, 2011, 04:01 AM
Wow, you are so beautiful - so is your hair! :)

Cryspatus
May 27th, 2011, 04:10 AM
Do you mean when the shed strand literally turns itself upside-down in your hair so that the root end is coming out through your hemline? That happens to me quite a bit, I always think it's so strange! I wonder if it happens when I'm bunning then it just gets tangled up in there and I pull it out root-end first.

Has your ponytail circumference changed? That's the only way I can tell if it's normal or abnormal shedding.

Yeah, that happens to me as well. It is pretty strange, isn't it? lol. I don't usually keep track of my ponytail circumference...But this is probably a good time to start. Thanks for the recommendation :)

So my advice to you will be to change up whatever you use on your hair, and that may help you. It is also worth it to look into your diet, and see if you're lacking in any nutrients that affect healthy hair growth. If you don't already do so, you may want to start exercising regularly. Increasing the blood flow to the scalp will help to nourish your follicles.

Thanks for the advice. :) Your experience gives me hope. I already tried organic/cone free products, so I'm thinking about going in the other direction... That is what i'm leaning toward now. I read that some people respond well to cones, so I have my fingers crossed. I think i'll also change my oil. I've been using olive oil for 2 years and my hair is obviously so dry...So it's time for something new.

Wow, you are so beautiful - so is your hair! :)

Thanks a lot :)

newbeginning
May 27th, 2011, 05:21 AM
You're very pretty. I'm not sure if they are "fairy tale ends" but I think your hair looks nice the way it is. Maybe you just need more moisture on the dry areas.

Juanita
May 27th, 2011, 05:37 AM
Olive oil doesn't suit all hair types. Maybe also try a different oil. I use shea butter and coconut oil. I use cone free but cones aren't always a bad thing. Some hair responds much betterto cones thn others. Also try one new thing at a time to see how your hair responds

Tiina
May 27th, 2011, 06:09 AM
Oils do not give moisture but keep the moisture inside the hair. For oil to have something more to do than sit on the strands you have to do moisturising treatments. Oils have rather different properties too so while one does not work, another might.

If you told us more about your routine, we could probably give more advice.

jojo
May 27th, 2011, 06:26 AM
You are so very beautiful. I had this problem at BSL, the very same and I started oiling my ends daily, only a little oil and then bunned my ends away. Ive managed to get just past waist and my ends are playing up again so I also do it at night as well.

I also make sure to do a deep conditioning once a week and I also do an aphogee 2 step protein treatment every 2 months. I cannot even begin to say how much this has helped me. Remember to keep it up as much as possible in buns rather than braids, you need to keep those ends out of sight and tucked away. Also make sure you are drinking enough.

Hope this is of help.

Firefly
May 27th, 2011, 07:15 AM
Do you have fine hair? Mine is F/M and I've discovered when it gets like that there are usually two reasons-- it needs protein, or I'm using too much oil/have oil build up. I would try the protein and if that doesn't work, clarify, SMT. Good luck. :flower:

spidermom
May 27th, 2011, 08:53 AM
If you haven't clarified, do that before a moisture treatment. Oil residues can build up, and olive oil is pretty heavy.

You can get regular very small trims to slowly thicken the ends. I can recommend the CWC with diluted shampoo washing method. It has worked very well for my hair.

But some hair does have a limit at the length your hair is now. It could be your longest possible length.

einna
May 27th, 2011, 09:24 AM
Hi. I agree with what Spidermom said, and from my own experience with dry hair (even my virgin growth is relatively dry), oil is not enough to keep it moisturised. I need to use some form of water based leave in after a wash, and then I top it of with oil to keep the moisture in, or I mix a leave in with conditioner, water and oil (and what ever I feel like).

Anje
May 27th, 2011, 09:25 AM
I'm with Spidermom -- Try clarifying and doing a moisture treatment. If your hair is dry, you need to adjust your routine so that it stops being dry. For me, that means water-based moisture like conditioner, with oil mostly used to help hold that moisture in and lubricate hair.

It looks like your ends might be fairytaling, but there's so much layering that I wonder if friction is also thinning things out. Do you secure your braid as a ponytail at the top? If so, consider not doing that. I've gotten a lot of breakage from ponytail elastics, so I switched to buns and braids done without securing the top, which has helped a lot. Guard your braid, too -- bring it over your shoulder and protect it from chairs and purses and backpacks.

long&blonde
May 27th, 2011, 09:38 AM
Agree with everyone else: you and your hair are beautiful! But wanted to add: I have fine hair, to waist with longest layer pieces now at hip. About 6 months ago, I tried prenatal vitamins, hoping to encourage faster hair growth? I did notice my hair's strength, and growth; both changed for the better. Might have been jus me; but; vitamins can't hurt! Good luck!

Panth
May 27th, 2011, 03:33 PM
Definitely going with everyone else's suggestions. Clarify. Then, try a treatment that is a bit more moisturising. When you say "washings" what do you mean? Shampoo only? S&C? CO? Oil shampoo? If you're doing shampoo only, then I'd suggest adding in a moisturising conditioner.

It might just be that your hair naturally becomes dry easily. In that case, you'll need something moisturising regularly in your routine. Olive oil, while it works for some, is quite heavy. Additionally, as others have said, oil on its own is not moisturising. It merely seals moisture in. So, either use it on wet/damp hair or use it after a moisturising treatment to get the best benefit.

I think that you don't necessarily have to go and do completely the opposite to what you're doing and go uber-conventional with Pantene and suchlike. Just do a little experimentation with some moisturising stuff (natural or synthetic, home-made or commercial). You also might want to consider if your ends are fairytailing because of friction damage. BSL is a common length to stop/stall/slow because your hair starts getting rubbed on the back of chairs. So, updos or plaits might be beneficial if this is an issue for you.

xoxophelia
May 27th, 2011, 03:45 PM
You hair kind of looks similar to mine did when I was vegetarian and not getting enough protein or calories. Caused my hair to get thinner and more wispy in the front. I would look at your diet and see if that may have something to do with it.

Some people also have natural taper even more so in the front. I do to a certain extent. So, it is kind of hard to tell from the front.

bumblebums
May 27th, 2011, 04:05 PM
You hair kind of looks similar to mine did when I was vegetarian and not getting enough protein or calories. Caused my hair to get thinner and more wispy in the front. I would look at your diet and see if that may have something to do with it.

+1! My first thought was, "Diet!" It is very possible that your hair is dry because you are not getting some crucial nutrients in your food. Look carefully at the protein and lipid content of your diet, and up if necessary.

Sunshineliz
May 27th, 2011, 04:39 PM
I'm just chiming in--sounds like you are getting good advice. I wouldn't do a 180, especially since in my experience cones can make the hair drier as it is sealing moisture out as well as in. (I wouldn't write them off altogether though as it can work for some people if done right.)

Check diet, clarify, deep moisturize, consider protein treatments, consider different washing methods such as CO washing.

If your hair is breaking and dry I don't think Pantene is a good choice. I even had a hairdresser (who seem to be notorious for wanting people to use cones and other things like flat irons, etc.) who told me not to use it because while it would seem shiny and smooth, my hair would be more brittle and break.

And yes, you look beautiful. Even if you were bald.:D

jaine
May 27th, 2011, 05:12 PM
I think your hair is beautiful!!! I would love to be at that length and I think wispy ends look feminine and lovely.

|Xei
May 28th, 2011, 04:21 AM
Thanks for the advice. :) Your experience gives me hope. I already tried organic/cone free products, so I'm thinking about going in the other direction... That is what i'm leaning toward now. I read that some people respond well to cones, so I have my fingers crossed. I think i'll also change my oil. I've been using olive oil for 2 years and my hair is obviously so dry...So it's time for something new.

You're very welcome, and I'm glad it gives you hope.

For oils, I would suggest camellia or avocado, as I've had great experiences with both. You might or might not have the same hair type as I do, but since everyone's hair responds differently to the same product, I thought it might be helpful to throw in my two cents.

Camellia is my favourite for everything (oilings, treatments...etc). It's a lighter oil, though it seems like there a varieties out there that are heavier than the one I use. It absorbs very well, makes my hair very soft, and it protects my hair. It IS on the pricey side, however, a little goes a long way. I've had my bottle for probably close to a year and a half now, and I still have a good amount to last me another month or so. The brand I use is Oshima.

Here is the thread on camellia oil, in case you're interested:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=456

Avocado oil is also a lighter oil, though heavier than camellia. It makes my hair very smooth and shiny. I mainly use this in treatments (it absorbs very well and gives lasting effects), so I can't tell you how it works out for regular, light oilings in the long term. But since it is a lot more affordable than camellia oil, I do think it is worth a try. It does have a nutty smell, not unlike that of the actual avocado fruit, so you may want to take note of this. The few times that I have used it for an oiling, I didn't notice any lingering smell of the oil though.

I can't seem to find a main thread on avocado oil, but you do get a lot of hits when you plug it into the search engine.

Good luck on your journey to new products :)