PDA

View Full Version : Gogirlanime's Shed Less Journey

gogirlanime
May 26th, 2011, 04:24 PM
So I found this link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOx1mfQxyAk about how to use black tea to help reduce the amount of shedding you get everyday. I then researched online and found many sources that say this helps a lot with shedding.

My hair sheds quite a bit I lose between 100-150 hairs a day and I'd like to reduce that to 50 a day if possible. Just like my hair-lightening journey (which is going great by the way) I'm now going to share with you my results from using these black tea rinses.

I'm going to diligently count every hair that I see everyday (I know it's impossible to count completely accurately how many hairs you lose everyday) but I'm going to do the best I can. I'm doing this by counting how many hairs I brush out in the morning, how many fall out when I shower, and then how many I see on my bed, and how many I brush out in the evening. Or if I happen to see any fall out throughout the day.

I'll make sure to be careful and pay attention to whether the hairs are breakage hairs or shedding hairs because sometimes I get short hairs and realize that it's from breakage rather than shedding.

I'll update here on a daily basis to let you know how many I'm losing, lets hope for the best and see if I can reduce my shedding with this method :)

Timeline

May 27th: 110 lost (a little less than usual, no tea rinse today, starting tomorrow).
May 28th: 103 lost (a little less, it takes about a week to kick in)
May 29th: 93 lost (WOW 10 less!)
May 30th: 91 lost (not much, but less!)
May 31st: N/A (busy with my boyfriend)
June 1st: 61 (OMGGGGGG I CAN'T BELIEVE IT!!)
June 2nd: 54 (woooooow it just keeps getting better, this is 1/2 of what I would lose on average everyday!)
June 3rd: N/A (my birthday, so I'm wearing my hair down and can't count the lost hairs)
June 4th: N/A (totally forgot to be honest haha, and had a busy day)
June 5th: 65 (a little more than last time, but still way less than 110 :D)
June 6th: 71 (a little more again... uh oh! Has it stopped working, maybe it has to do with me being on my period...)
June 7th: N/A (busy)
June 8th: N/A (busy)
June 9th: N/A (busy)
June 10th: 69 (looks like the average is about 70 these days, still better than 110!)
June 11th: 56 (wooooow a big difference for a random unknown reason, maybe it's because I exercised and took MSM)
June 12th: 63 (about the norm)
June 13th: 63 (the same *dances*)
June 28th: 70 (random update, it's still working well :D)

cowgirllong
May 26th, 2011, 06:17 PM
How interesting. I've never heard that before. I will be interested to see what happens!

abbatabba1137
May 26th, 2011, 09:06 PM
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to use this when doing ACV rinses???

Would this be used before or after ACV???

gossamer
May 26th, 2011, 09:14 PM
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to use this when doing ACV rinses???

Would this be used before or after ACV???

I'd probably use it instead of an ACV rinse. Black tea, if steeped long, can be pretty acidic. If left in, I'd also expect black tea to slightly stain hairs darker.

Last summer when I was regularly using tea rinses to stretch washes, I often added just a splash of vinegar to them just to make sure I got the acidity I wanted, but I probably didn't need it.

Saria
May 27th, 2011, 09:49 AM
Wow, i have to try it too ^^ but let's wait to see the results. I hope this helps.

ingvild
May 27th, 2011, 10:10 AM
Good luck with your shedding!! I was shedding as much as you, but it seems like it was a dandruff problem. I'm currently using an anti-fungal shampoo and shedding has decreased to ~60 a day. It feels nice.

Maybe I'll try the black tea rinses once I'm finished with the dandruff treatment. :) I also did some garlic/olive oil scalp treatments with success, but the smell was really overpowering! Thanks for the information. :D I like that you can do coffee instead of tea.... the smell of coffee is my favourite smell. :D

Roscata
May 27th, 2011, 10:20 AM
I'm VERY interested to know if this works. I shall be watching this thread. :D

et--cetera
May 27th, 2011, 03:13 PM
Also interested in this, I'm shedding way to much atm.

Audrey Horne
May 27th, 2011, 03:57 PM
It makes sense. Black tea contains coffeine, right? Coffeine is often used in shampoos against hairloss.
I'm interested too, I'd love to shed less. I lose little hairs too from time to time but can't understand why... I comb once a day, put my hair up or braid it. I hardly do anything so how do I get this breakage? :confused:
Doesn't black tea make your hair darker? Because I can't use it then :-(

QueenJoey
May 27th, 2011, 04:28 PM
Is there a difference between shedding and breakage? Because I once heard that it's only shedding if you get that white bulb thing at the end, and breakage occurs while your brushing your hair. I've never gotten the ones with the white bulbs (maybe once or twice that I'm aware of). I do get some hair falling out if I brush it too much, though. If black tea stops hair from falling out while your brushing, I'm definitely tuning in!

gogirlanime
May 28th, 2011, 12:51 AM
May 27th: 110 lost (a little less than usual, no tea rinse today, starting tomorrow).

Melanie Marie
May 28th, 2011, 09:07 AM
Hm, I think I'm going to try this as well. I'm half Indian, so we always have long-leaf Darjeeling around (black tea is the boss ;)).

Kalie
May 28th, 2011, 09:52 AM
Im excited to see this:)

gogirlanime
May 28th, 2011, 10:01 AM
It makes sense. Black tea contains coffeine, right? Coffeine is often used in shampoos against hairloss.
I'm interested too, I'd love to shed less. I lose little hairs too from time to time but can't understand why... I comb once a day, put my hair up or braid it. I hardly do anything so how do I get this breakage? :confused:
Doesn't black tea make your hair darker? Because I can't use it then :-(

You're right it's because of the caffeine in the tea. Yes, it does darken your hair supposedly which is my one problem, I'm trying to lighten my hair, so lets see how this goes for me. If it does, I'm going to try the coffee instead. Well, no matter what, your scalp just loses hair depending on how strong your hair is. Keeping your hair up all day helps, but if you scalp and hair is weak, you'll still lose hairs. This could be due to poor diet, exercise, thyroid, skin, etc.

Is there a difference between shedding and breakage? Because I once heard that it's only shedding if you get that white bulb thing at the end, and breakage occurs while your brushing your hair. I've never gotten the ones with the white bulbs (maybe once or twice that I'm aware of). I do get some hair falling out if I brush it too much, though. If black tea stops hair from falling out while your brushing, I'm definitely tuning in!

Yes shedding is where your hair follicle comes out, the whole hair, breakage is where you lose a part of one strand of hair (hence why you hair becomes thinner near the bottom and tips. I think you have shed more than that, sometimes the white bulbs at the end are very tiny, pay attention a little bit more.

Hm, I think I'm going to try this as well. I'm half Indian, so we always have long-leaf Darjeeling around (black tea is the boss ;)).

I read up that it was the genius of the people of India that came up with this, do a dance :cheese:

abbatabba1137
May 28th, 2011, 11:54 AM
Wow, I always thought that I shed alot, but the last few days I actually counted all the hairs I could. On Thursday I lost around 64 hairs and Friday was 72(with a shower even)! My hair was contained on both days, so I dont think I lost to many that I couldnt count throughout the day.

Now as far as breakage goes, that is my downfall, since I have colored(bleached then dyed) ends....

Alas......

gogirlanime
May 28th, 2011, 11:54 PM

gogirlanime
May 29th, 2011, 10:31 PM

gogirlanime
May 30th, 2011, 11:04 PM

gogirlanime
June 1st, 2011, 11:40 PM

Wow, I lost 30 less than May 30th :joy: I CANNOT believe it. It may be in part because someone suggested to me that I get a bamboo comb instead of a plastic one because it's gentler on your hair.

I also bought a spray bottle and I have been spraying my roots with the black tea after my shower and I've been doing it twice a day. It uses a lot less tea than rinsing my whole hair with it. Spraying my roots like that saves a lot on the tea, so it costs only about $0.25 a day to do these black tea treatments! I don't know if it's the comb that made the difference today or the black tea. We'll have to see tomorrow if the number is close to 60, if it is, it might be the comb. Either way, from May 27th to May 30th there was a 22 hair difference in hairs lost, so I think the black tea does help some.

Even if the tea only saves 10-20 hairs more each day, I'm going to continue to do it, because that's 10-20 hairs less each day :)

Roscata
June 1st, 2011, 11:45 PM
That's awesome. :D

PrincessBob
June 2nd, 2011, 12:39 AM
Sounds good to me. I want to try cat-nip tea, but so far catnip n my neck of the woods seems kind of expensive. I worry that Vesuvius, who gets reminded that he's not allowed to eat our hair at least once a day, will go bat(droppings) crazy on my head.

gogirlanime
June 2nd, 2011, 11:16 PM
June 2nd: 54 (woooooow it just keeps getting better, this is 1/2 of what I would lose on average everyday!)

gogirlanime
June 3rd, 2011, 09:29 AM
It's my birthday today, so I'm going to wear my hair down and I won't be spending the time counting my hairs because it will be down all day and I won't know how many I've lost.

AshNight1214
June 3rd, 2011, 12:04 PM
WOW!! That's great!! My shed doesn't usually bug me, but this seems worth trying! :D

YesitsReal
June 3rd, 2011, 12:42 PM
So, I have a question:

Black tea and green tea both contain caffeine (according to Stash's website, green tea has about half the amount of caffeine as black). Could a blonde person use green tea instead of black to reduce/eliminate darkening, and still get some of the benefits of a black tea rinse?

ingvild
June 3rd, 2011, 12:43 PM
Happy birthday! :)

I did a coffee rinse and it seems to have worked a bit. At the very least it made my hair smell delicious. :p

gogirlanime
June 3rd, 2011, 08:28 PM
So, I have a question:

Black tea and green tea both contain caffeine (according to Stash's website, green tea has about half the amount of caffeine as black). Could a blonde person use green tea instead of black to reduce/eliminate darkening, and still get some of the benefits of a black tea rinse?
The video says that the black tea works better than coffee because it has more caffeine in it. I think green tea will help but won't work as well as the black tea. It's worth a shot. Just do what I've been doing, keep your hair up all day and count the hairs when you brush, shower, and on your pillow in the morning for the most accurate count, and after about a week there should be a difference.

I've also considered getting just straight up water-solulable caffeine powder and mixing it in water to see if it would give me the same effect. When I have the money.

gogirlanime
June 3rd, 2011, 08:28 PM
Happy birthday! :)

I did a coffee rinse and it seems to have worked a bit. At the very least it made my hair smell delicious. :p
That's good, it also takes a few days for things to really start working, keep trying and keep counting as many hairs as you can as accurately as you can.

et--cetera
June 3rd, 2011, 10:15 PM
so I have blonde hair and don't want it to darken. If you did the black tea brewed with chamomile do you think that would stop the darkening?

gogirlanime
June 3rd, 2011, 11:10 PM
so I have blonde hair and don't want it to darken. If you did the black tea brewed with chamomile do you think that would stop the darkening?

I've never tried it before and I'm not blonde but my guess is that it still will. Think of it this way, if you put blonde and dark brown hair colors together and put it in your hair you are going to get a medium blonde color, same thing with mixing two teas. I would say try green tea or caffeine powder that mixes in water.

Audrey Horne
June 4th, 2011, 11:01 AM
Sounds excellent! What about colour? Did it change?

gogirlanime
June 5th, 2011, 09:54 PM
Sounds excellent! What about colour? Did it change?

I haven't noticed a color change, I was doing honey treatments but I haven't done one since I started doing this, I haven't noticed a difference. I use a spray bottle to get the tea only on my roots and scalp, that helps so my hair doesn't get dark.

June 3rd: N/A (my birthday, so I'm wearing my hair down and can't count the lost hairs)

abbatabba1137
June 5th, 2011, 11:21 PM
I haven't noticed a color change, I was doing honey treatments but I haven't done one since I started doing this, I haven't noticed a difference. I use a spray bottle to get the tea only on my roots and scalp, that helps so my hair doesn't get dark.

How do you apply this? You mentioned spray bottle, but do you apply to dry hair? And do you rinse it out or let it sit? Shampoo/Condition afterwards?

Thanks

Audrey Horne
June 6th, 2011, 01:49 AM
It sounds very good to me, especially if colour doesn't change. Maybe I should give it a try... I don't drink black tea that's why I'm in doubt. But maybe I will start rinsing next month.

How strong is your tea?

Cleopatra18
June 6th, 2011, 02:59 AM
I did this, and it works. I used it as a final rinse and left in my hair, was probably a mistake cause my hair dried out alot, but it did lower the shedding fast. I can't remember if my shedding increased again after I stopped.

gogirlanime
June 6th, 2011, 01:01 PM
How do you apply this? You mentioned spray bottle, but do you apply to dry hair? And do you rinse it out or let it sit? Shampoo/Condition afterwards?

Thanks

You must let it sit so it can soak in properly. I do this after my shower so the excess water in my hair can mix with what tea gets in my hair. My goal is to get it as close to my scalp only and not in my hair. If you get too much in your hair it dries it out a bit.

It sounds very good to me, especially if colour doesn't change. Maybe I should give it a try... I don't drink black tea that's why I'm in doubt. But maybe I will start rinsing next month.

How strong is your tea?

Drinking it won't do it because I drink it almost everyday and it hasn't stopped my shedding, it's the caffeine applied to your scalp that makes it work. I put 6 tea bags into about a gallon (it's a container I have, I don't know the exact amount of liquid, but about a gallon I think) of water in a pot of boiling water and then stirred it every 15 minutes or so until it got cold, I now keep it in the fridge and keep adding it to my spray bottle when I need it, it can go a long way and be a really cheap treatment when you spray it into your roots only.

I did this, and it works. I used it as a final rinse and left in my hair, was probably a mistake cause my hair dried out alot, but it did lower the shedding fast. I can't remember if my shedding increased again after I stopped.

That's excellent! :D I'm really quite amazed to hear you, myself, and others say that it works, such a simple and inexpensive thing, yet it does so much for us that are growing :) yeah, I only spray it into my scalp where it's oily and that saves up on brewing a lot of tea, that can get expensive.

gogirlanime
June 7th, 2011, 12:05 AM
June 6th: 71 (a little more again... uh oh! Has it stopped working, maybe it has to do with me being on my period...)

gogirlanime
June 10th, 2011, 11:55 PM
June 10th: 69 (looks like the average is about 70 these days, still better than 110!)

Even on the days I am not counting I am still spraying the black tea in my hair.

gogirlanime
June 11th, 2011, 11:24 PM
June 11th: 56 (wooooow a big difference for a random unknown reason, maybe it's because I exercised and took MSM)

gogirlanime
June 12th, 2011, 11:55 PM

Audrey Horne
June 13th, 2011, 01:20 AM
Today we have a holiday, so everything's closed. I will try to get some black tea on Tue and do it too. I have to see that Indian supermarket around the corner :D My spray bottle sucks, so I don't know how I'm going to do it. So I'm in!

gogirlanime
June 13th, 2011, 06:19 PM
Today we have a holiday, so everything's closed. I will try to get some black tea on Tue and do it too. I have to see that Indian supermarket around the corner :D My spray bottle sucks, so I don't know how I'm going to do it. So I'm in!

Dollar stores usually have spray bottles, it's where I got mine, it's a nice titanium one too :cool: I'm sure local one has one.

You can find black tea at Asian supermarkets too. I found mine at Seafood City.

gogirlanime
June 13th, 2011, 10:35 PM

Audrey Horne
June 14th, 2011, 12:37 AM
Dollar stores usually have spray bottles, it's where I got mine, it's a nice titanium one too :cool: I'm sure local one has one.

You can find black tea at Asian supermarkets too. I found mine at Seafood City.
Never seen spray bottles there :-( The closest 1euro shop is also far away from me.
Yes, to find tea is not a problem. Turkish supermarkets sell them too but they sell kilos of it, really a lot! Haha Should get it somewhere today. I think I will just rub it in my scalp before I get a new bottle.

gogirlanime
June 14th, 2011, 11:17 PM
So I'm not giving up on the black tea because at this point I say it didn't work, it's work-ING so I think how long I have posted my results has proven that it's working for me. So instead of updating everyday (because I'm going to be very busy soon and won't have the time) I'll aim to tell you my loss count every week or so or just randomly. Thanks for the support guys, let me know if you have any questions and good luck to you with this, I hope it works for you too!

Roscata
June 14th, 2011, 11:28 PM
So I'm not giving up on the black tea because at this point I say it didn't work, it's work-ING so I think how long I have posted my results has proven that it's working for me. So instead of updating everyday (because I'm going to be very busy soon and won't have the time) I'll aim to tell you my loss count every week or so or just randomly. Thanks for the support guys, let me know if you have any questions and good luck to you with this, I hope it works for you too!

Thank you for posting your results! I'm definitely going to try it one of these days and to me you were totally successful because it cut your shedding in half. :D

free_hug
June 25th, 2011, 11:39 AM
I just got super excited about black tea rinses. This lady here says :
http://keepitsimplesista.blogspot.com/2010/04/stop-sheddingblack-tea-rinses.html

...that it stopped her shedding almost entirely, and made her hair feel amazing. MUST TRY.

She says she shampoos, rinses scalp + hair w/ black tea, then leaves in for 20 minutes, and does her conditioner afterwards.
Sounds a bit time consuming, but this is even reconcileable with an ACV rinse - that you probably do after the condish.

Wooooo, exciting. Now I go on with my online research. And check my kitchen cupboard for some tea.

gogirlanime
June 29th, 2011, 01:31 PM
June 28th: 70 (random update, it's still working well :D)

gogirlanime
December 27th, 2011, 12:04 PM
I'm going to start this up again as a New Years resolution I've begun a little early starting today. I figure I'd give my hair a few days to get used to it so I can update everyday my progress starting January 1st

Mesmerise
January 19th, 2012, 09:25 PM
Just found this thread, and I'm gonna try it!! I was shedding a LOT the past couple of months (no idea how much... didn't actually WANT to check :(). It seems to have slowed down, but I'd really like to reduce it further.

However, I'm a wee bit uncertain on one point... if it's the caffeine that causes the hair to stop shedding, then coffee should actually work better, because coffee has more caffeine than black tea (especially if it's brewed) but even instant has a lot more (although different brands do vary).

Coffee would seem better for those who don't want to colour their hair accidentally, too. Although pure caffeine is probably the best choice as it has no colour at all.

I used to spray rooibos in my hair at one stage, and it would seep down and get onto my clothes, so the less colour the better!!

Hana
January 20th, 2012, 04:14 PM
This is absolutely fascinating, kudos to you for doing all the hard work and research for all of our benefits, haha! :D
Definitely gonna give this a try...

Though I do have one question - how would it fit into a CO routine? Would it be worth doing the rinse after washing with the conditioner, or just using the spritzer on the roots? Is the length going to be worse off in the long run for the tea rinse, do you think, even without the use of shampoo?

Hana
January 20th, 2012, 04:15 PM
Whoops - double post, sorry.

Yame
January 23rd, 2012, 07:35 PM
I've got to try this. My hair is still shedding a lot. Have you noticed any darkening? If it also darkens my hair, that would be a big plus!

Andraste
January 24th, 2012, 01:47 AM
Thank you for this :heartbeat

Yame
January 24th, 2012, 04:21 PM
I got my black tea. I'm boiling around 10 cups of water now, then I will leave the tea brewing for a few hours while I go to dance class, so that I can apply it when I get back home.

For now, I plan on dipping my whole head in the water to get it all over my hair, then leaving it for 30 minutes or so before rinsing it out and perhaps conditioning (no shampooing, I'm sticking to once-a-week washes on weekends only which is my usual). This is because I am not just trying to reduce shedding, but also trying to see if the black tea will darken my hair.

I might do this everyday to try to get some darkening. If it doesn't darken my hair, but helps reduce shedding, I will switch to the spray bottle (directly on the scalp) method.

B-L
January 25th, 2012, 03:31 AM
I posted a tread about black tea rinses a while ago.. I'm so intrigued to try it and after reading yours I'm going to! :D

A quick question - does black tea leave any color?

B-L
January 25th, 2012, 03:42 AM
Sorry! I just saw that you wrote that you havn't had a color change to your hair :) that petty much answers my question..

rainfortheend
March 24th, 2013, 02:33 PM
I'm using green tea right now. I'll have to try black tea to see if it makes even more of a difference, since green tea has been helping me with shedding. So happy that this is working for you! Bumping the thread so that people can see the awesomeness of this. :D

swearnsue
March 31st, 2013, 08:22 PM
I've been shedding more than usual for the last 3 months so I might try spraying my scalp with black tea. How is it working for those who use this method?

Redhead Rebel
April 9th, 2013, 06:41 PM
I'm interested in this too, I've been shedding alot more than usual the past 2 months. I currently do rooibos rinses so maybe i'll just add caffine powder to that if I can find any.

cmbates2009
February 9th, 2014, 10:23 AM

Wow, I lost 30 less than May 30th :joy: I CANNOT believe it. It may be in part because someone suggested to me that I get a bamboo comb instead of a plastic one because it's gentler on your hair.

I also bought a spray bottle and I have been spraying my roots with the black tea after my shower and I've been doing it twice a day. It uses a lot less tea than rinsing my whole hair with it. Spraying my roots like that saves a lot on the tea, so it costs only about $0.25 a day to do these black tea treatments! I don't know if it's the comb that made the difference today or the black tea. We'll have to see tomorrow if the number is close to 60, if it is, it might be the comb. Either way, from May 27th to May 30th there was a 22 hair difference in hairs lost, so I think the black tea does help some.

Even if the tea only saves 10-20 hairs more each day, I'm going to continue to do it, because that's 10-20 hairs less each day :)

could you post a link to the bamboo comb or a good bamboo comb like the one you got? i'm shedding over 200 a day, and about to try the black tea rinse treatment. I'm desperate.

duchess67
February 9th, 2014, 07:19 PM
cmbates2009, I don't know anything about bamboo comb, but I think bone comb will be equally good. JJJLongHair uses a bone comb from Hair Sense #210 http://hairsense.com/bone_combs.php.

You can read all about JJJLongHairCare in her blog http://www.jjjlonghairphotopage.zoomshare.com/6.html. She has beautiful thick floor length hair, really stunning :)

I don't own one, have ordered and am waiting for it.