PDA

View Full Version : Is my shed starting to look normal-ish again?

JadeTigress
May 26th, 2011, 03:41 PM
I've been having a problem with hair loss since February. I've always been a shedder, but it's been nuts. Coming out in massive clumps while brushing, falling out all day even if I'm not touching it, and it's especially bad in the shower. I literally would lose a handful of hair every time I washed my hair, whether I washed it every day or once a week. I tried switching up shampoos and going SLS and cone free. Nothing was helping. I need to go to the doctor for blood tests, but I just havn't had a chance to get there.

Anyway, I washed my hair today (the last time I washed it was Monday morning). I went through a period for the last couple weeks where I was having to wash my hair every day whether I wanted to or not because my boss kept harassing me about how I never wash my hair. Apparently washing it every day right before I left for work wasn't good enough, because she still fired me. :p Anyway, now I can get back to my normal wash schedule of not washing it every day.

Moving on, when I washed it today I saw the smallest clump of hair in the drain I've seen in a long time. It was still larger than before all this hair loss started, but waaaaay smaller than it's been lately. The clump is usually atleast 3 times the size (or more) of what it was today. So, because I'm a dork, I counted the hair. This morning's shower produced about 60 hairs in my drain. I have no idea how much my brush pulled out when I brushed through my hair right before I washed it, and I have no clue how much has fallen out since my shower. I just know that there were 60 hairs in my shower. :p

Does this number seem semi normal, or like it's getting back to normal maybe? I know you can lose up to 100 hairs a day and it's still normal, but I don't know how I should be looking at it since I used up over half of that just in the shower. And I've definitely been losing way more than 100 hairs (closer to 200) per shower before today. I'm hoping this wasn't just a fluke and this is signaling the beginning of the end of my hair loss.

Mesmerise
May 26th, 2011, 03:51 PM
Well I tend not to count all my hairs because they usually get tangled together when I pull them out of the drain :p. However, it's definitely a good sign when the number of hairs you find is definitely smaller!

Last time I went through a major shed I was losing hair for about 3 months before it normalized again... that was almost a year ago and I'm still recovering (my hair looks soo funny when I get up in the morning after braiding overnight cause all the regrowth just sticks up everywhere, but I'm glad there IS regrowth no matter how annoying it is).

I hope for your sake that your shedding has gone back to normal!

Oh and your ex-boss sucks!! What sort of person would harass you for not washing your hair often enough? I mean... you shouldn't NEED to wash your hair every day. And besides, it's really none of her business. Looks like she was just searching for a reason to let you go :rolleyes:.

gogirlanime
May 26th, 2011, 04:15 PM
I just found his link today, maybe try these black tea rinses this girl does, I'm gonna start and let everyone know

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOx1mfQxyAk

JadeTigress
May 26th, 2011, 05:03 PM
I'm definitely going to try the tea rinse. I drink tea all the time, so there's a bunch of different ones in my kitchen.

gogirlanime
May 26th, 2011, 05:36 PM
I'm definitely going to try the tea rinse. I drink tea all the time, so there's a bunch of different ones in my kitchen.

She says BLACK tea or coffee because the caffeine content is what helps the shedding, not all teas will work. Maybe green tea will.

vindo
May 27th, 2011, 10:02 PM
Does this number seem semi normal, or like it's getting back to normal maybe? I know you can lose up to 100 hairs a day and it's still normal, but I don't know how I should be looking at it since I used up over half of that just in the shower. And I've definitely been losing way more than 100 hairs (closer to 200) per shower before today. I'm hoping this wasn't just a fluke and this is signaling the beginning of the end of my hair loss.

60 can still be much if your normal rate would be lower.

Do you know by any chance why you are a "shedder" or what caused the increase? Very often it has to do with hormones so I would always get that checked out.
A hormonal shed almost destroyed my length, but when the doctor found out what I had (pituitary tumor) and I started meds it stopped.
Thyroid is always a good thing to check too.

Btw. menopause supplements (as recommended by Melikai) and beer reduced my hormonal shedding even before the meds.