PDA

View Full Version : When do you oil your hair?

Fluffy01
June 19th, 2008, 05:43 AM
I've been putting oil in my hair when I get out of the shower before I put it up. I was wondering if this was a common practice. I don't put a lot...just a drop and it seems to help calm my frizzies and make my hair more smoothable and able to be put up. :)

Les
June 19th, 2008, 06:22 AM
I voted for "when wet" because there wasn't an option that fit me perfectly. What I do it wait for my hair to air dry until it is "just a bit damp" - then I oil it.

mira-chan
June 19th, 2008, 06:51 AM
When dry. If I oil wet my hair acts like there is a ton of buildup on it.

chotee
June 19th, 2008, 06:57 AM
I prefer dry. And that too the next day mostly. If too much oil in my hair, its very lank and lifeless i feel.
chotee

froglet
June 19th, 2008, 07:07 AM
I voted when wet, even if I just mist it a bit. If I oil dry it doesn't soak in very well for me.

Nightshade
June 19th, 2008, 07:11 AM
I don't use straight oil, but I use my shea butter conditioning cream (with coconut oil in it) most often on the ends after I get out of a shower. On occasion, though, if my hair is REALLY dry, I load it full of the shea cream when dry, then shower, then apply a bit more afterwards. This is pretty rare, though, maybe once every 3-4 months.

Fluffy01
June 19th, 2008, 07:22 AM
Ooooooh Nightshade! Shea Butter Conditioning creme? Where do you get this? :D

Nightshade
June 19th, 2008, 07:36 AM
Ooooooh Nightshade! Shea Butter Conditioning creme? Where do you get this? :D

You make it, but it's very easy to do. Here's the instructions (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=4586):)

Brun
June 19th, 2008, 07:58 AM
Yes, oil my hair when it's still wet. It keeps moisture.

Aisha25
June 19th, 2008, 09:02 AM
I oil when dry but also oil my hair when it's damp.

SweetPea88
June 19th, 2008, 09:10 AM
I usually oil my hair when it is dry as my pre-wash treatment but sometimes I apply it to slightly damp hair.

harley mama
June 19th, 2008, 09:11 AM
Most of the time I oil right after I CO while my hair is still drippy wet.
But, I also oil between CO's to tame frizzies.

angelthadiva
June 19th, 2008, 09:13 AM
I do both, after a wash, just on the ends...And in-between length washes, I do oil the ends of my tassle...Who would have thought my hair likes oil as much as it does.

nicolina
June 19th, 2008, 09:26 AM
If I oil it damp, it tends to spread too far up my hair and just sit for days... I can control it more when it's dry. I oil further up as a pre-wash treatment as well.

wintersun99
June 19th, 2008, 09:30 AM
I oil my ends on towel dried/damp hair. I was using coconut oil only, now currently using a mixture of coconut oil/grapeseed oil (have not noticed a difference)

hurricane_gia
June 19th, 2008, 09:38 AM
I voted when wet, but I am another one who actually waits until my hair is almost dry, but still damp.

So, I wash once or twice a week, and I oil when it's still damp. Then I put Fox's Shea creme on the ends. The next day, while my hair is dry, I put on more Shea. If, between washes, I feel like my hair needs more oil, I spritz my hair first and then apply the oil. The day before I wash again, I oil my hair rather heavily and put it in braids or buns to let the oil absorb . . . I might do this wet or dry, I'm still working out which method is best.

But mostly, I oil damp hair, and spritzing dry hair with water prior to oiling counts as damp.

Sana
June 19th, 2008, 10:13 AM
I oil my semi damp hair before I put it in a updo & on dry hair before I put it in a braid at bedtime.

chrissy-b
June 19th, 2008, 10:27 AM
I usually oil my hair when wet with coconut oil, but find that jojoba adds a little texture when I use it on my dry hair.

Cichelle
June 19th, 2008, 10:28 AM
These days, when I use oil, I use it on dry hair just before shampooing.

Sceleste
June 19th, 2008, 11:22 AM
When dry. If I oil wet my hair acts like there is a ton of buildup on it.

Same here. I've tried oiling both wet and damp hair, and neither worked for me.

I usually oil my hair in the evening, right before braiding or bunning my hair for the night.

HotRag
June 19th, 2008, 11:32 AM
I oil when wet (directly after a wash) and then I oil the ends every or every other day between washes (then it is dry).

EDIT: When wet, I oil it after I have had it in towel.

Patrycja
June 19th, 2008, 05:06 PM
Well.....another iffy selection here for me.I do both :) I tend to oil more when wet-but I wanted to be fair,so I selected the third choice.

morgwn
June 19th, 2008, 05:44 PM
I put it on my hair when damp, typically, although I sometimes oil before bed and brush with a BBB.

Nat242
June 19th, 2008, 06:01 PM
It depends on the oil. If I'm oiling with jojoba, I oil when wet. Coconut oil, however, works best for me on dry hair.

-- Natalie

Ndnlady
June 19th, 2008, 08:38 PM
I use coconut oil when wet, and throughout the week when dry, I usually oil the end of my braid before bed.

vindo
June 20th, 2008, 12:52 PM
Dry only. Water and hair dont like each other.^^

-Lisa-
February 28th, 2009, 11:06 AM
I vote vor "sometimes when wet sometimes when dry..depends". Lately I oil my hair when wet.

Sashay
February 28th, 2009, 11:18 AM
I voted for wet but i only oil just before my hair is completely dried out. Usually there's a bit of damp at my nape. I spread it out with comb, let the moisture redistribute, then oil lightly. My goal is to trap the moisture in my hair at just the right moment.

Once I under oiled, and the next day my hair was dry and fussy. I ran my comb under the faucet and combed gently to re-water my hair (only a little bit), let it set a couple of minutes absorb the water where it wanted, then re-oiled. This seems to work well for me.

If I oiled while it's dripping, I wouldn't get such even coverage because I can't separate the strands.

And while oiling while bone dry still helped my hair, trying to seal in the moisture seems to give me the most beneficial effects.

tina1025
February 28th, 2009, 05:38 PM
When they are dry....Because if i oil my hair when they are wet then my hair feels sticky plus i dont like putting my hair up when they are wet because of the breakage therefore i wait for them to dry...

Copasetic
February 28th, 2009, 06:02 PM
I only oil after I have washed my hair, when it is wet.

AlleyKitten
February 28th, 2009, 07:02 PM
Most of the time, I oil after I've washed my hair, when it's damp but not dripping. I also sometimes oil my hair dry, usually to detangle, sometimes for deep conditioning, but my standard routine oilings are all on damp hair.

Gladtobemom
February 28th, 2009, 07:16 PM
When it's wet:

I mix abour 3 rice grains of coconut oil or Ojon with about 3/4 tsp. of aloe gel. Then I smoothe it through my hair and comb well. Helps control frizz and define curl.

When it's dry:
I usually use a hair butter or straight coconut oil. I glaze my hands and put it on with the flats of my hands and comb well.

Monkey962
February 28th, 2009, 07:51 PM
I use oil on my ends whenever they need it, for example when they're dry. I oil the entire length once a week and then put it in a braid. The oil is extra helpful in that regard because it makes the hair easier to grip and I can make better braids. I'm probably going to start oiling my scalp via massages prior to showering.

To be honest, I don't see the point in oiling while the hair/scalp is wet, since oil and water don't mix. I suppose once the water evaporates, the oil will do it's stuff.

rapunzhell13
March 1st, 2009, 02:54 AM
I do light oilings on damp hair. :)

Naava
March 1st, 2009, 12:55 PM
I voted for when it's wet.

I oil my hair when it's damp, but I usually add oil on dry hair later.

dulce-de-leche
March 1st, 2009, 01:05 PM
I oil on dry hair

Sissy
March 1st, 2009, 05:29 PM
Sometimes I oil mine when wet, other times I oil it dry.

littlemiss
March 1st, 2009, 06:15 PM
I do both sometimes I do a heavy treatment the night before washing on dry hair and sometimes when wet and putting it up in a bun for work i treat my ends and oil them wet.

Accolady
March 1st, 2009, 06:47 PM
If I have to wash my hair two days in a row (hot, sweaty, dirty day for
example) I oil on day two. Otherwise, I wash every other day until
the weekend, and unless we are going somewhere, I just leave my hair
alone in a bun for the weekend.

Sundays are usually reserved for dry oiling, when I lay it on thick, comb
through with Tangle-Teezer and bun it up until Monday morning.

:)

JamieLeigh
March 12th, 2009, 05:49 PM
I've just started oiling this past month, and it seems to better on my hair when it's dry. For some reason, it looks like it's leaving a build-up when I do it wet. :(

arabidbutterfly
March 12th, 2009, 06:05 PM
Wet, dry, damp...my hair loves oil!

GnGirl
March 14th, 2009, 09:15 AM
I oil my hair dry and sleep with it in, then I wash the next morning. I have been doing this for awhile and seems to work just fine for me.

Forever_Sophie
March 14th, 2009, 03:25 PM
When wet, since I've recently discovered coconut oil and have been using it as a leave in.

steph in tx
March 14th, 2009, 06:33 PM
I voted both. I do my heavy oiling on dry hair and leave that overnight. Then after washing I put a small amount of coconut and jojoba on the ends of damp hair. I don't really think about it much. If the ends need it, I put it, damp or dry. Of course, now that I've found this poll, I'm thinking about it. LOL

Silverlox
March 14th, 2009, 06:50 PM
Hey..:disbelief Where's the cheese option? I thought that was obligatory. :run::couch:

I voted for both wet and dry.

Pre-wash, I do a heavy oiling of dry hair, preferably the night before so it can soak in overnight.
Post-wash, I do a light oiling of the ends (bottom 4-6" approximately) after taking off my turbie twist.

:shrug: I guess I'll just have to add my own cheese. :gobblecheese:

Indigosails
March 14th, 2009, 07:23 PM
I oil mine when it is damp---after it has been wrapped with a towel for a bit.

Lena43
May 1st, 2009, 02:01 AM
I usually oil my hair when its damp, and sometimes also on days i dont wash it. And i normally use coconut oil

*Rose Red*
May 1st, 2009, 04:11 AM
I take jojoba oil for my wet hair after every hair wash, and for my dry hair I take sometimes (once or twice a week) tsubaki oil.

saman
May 1st, 2009, 07:33 AM
I apply my coconut oil most of the time when my hair is wet,but it happens also to dry hair.

zombi
May 2nd, 2009, 01:29 PM
If I'm going to blowdry it, I oil both when it's damp AND then I oil the ends when it's dry. My hair really hates it when I do that.

Otherwise I usually oil when damp/after washing and then leave it alone.

Elenna
May 2nd, 2009, 01:58 PM
With CWC, I pre-condition with a mix of conditioner and tablespoon of coconut oil on dry hair. Lately, I've been adding some castor oil to the mix. Then after my hair wash, I would put in a leave-in of camellia oil & almond oil on damp hair.

Done right, not too much, this makes my hair soft.

itsMEowKat
May 2nd, 2009, 03:20 PM
After much experimentation I found that my hair prefers to be oiled when fully dry. It just drinks it in and shines nicely. But when oiled wet or even slightly damp, the oil seems to just sit on top and makes my hair look dirty and stringy, no matter how little I use.

CaityBear
May 2nd, 2009, 06:17 PM
Usually I do it right out of the shower. Sometimes when it's dry if I've noticed my hair is a bit drier than usual. But mostly wet.

eyesofsummer
May 2nd, 2009, 07:09 PM
I generally only put oil in my hair when it's dry...when it's wet, I can't tell if I've put enough oil in or not, because it all feels the same! When it's dry, I can tell where the oil is going and that it is evenly distributed.

Nanni
May 3rd, 2009, 04:48 AM
I oil it when it is damp after wash, but I also oil the ends every night before I braid it for bed. This works great for my hair.

hairyfairy
May 3rd, 2009, 05:20 AM
I do a heavy oiling on my dry hair before going to bed and wash it off next morning.

Misha
May 3rd, 2009, 07:29 AM
Usually when dry, sometimes when slightly damp before putting it up.

Carina
May 3rd, 2009, 11:33 PM
I oil when my hair is damp right before I detangle.It gives me great slip.I still search for the perfect oil for me.I have tried a few but my HG is coconut oil so far.It smells so good and my hair loves it.

melrose1985
May 5th, 2009, 02:42 PM
I oil after I take my hair out of the towel. But not all the time.

lovelygirl8315
May 27th, 2009, 02:18 AM
when wet, it is better for my hair

curls2grow
May 27th, 2009, 06:05 AM
I oil at night before bed, on dry hair. As much as I'd like to just dip my hair into the jar of coconut oil, I limit application to ends and top layer of hair.

Furiana
May 29th, 2009, 04:05 PM
I voted for "dry." I used to lightly oil over misted hair, but now I only oil when dry.

hellkitty
June 1st, 2009, 04:19 PM
After much experimentation I found that my hair prefers to be oiled when fully dry. It just drinks it in and shines nicely. But when oiled wet or even slightly damp, the oil seems to just sit on top and makes my hair look dirty and stringy, no matter how little I use.

WOW! I never made this connection before between wet application and dry and the way it looks. I normally did it when damp (when I wash my hair in the mornings) and my hair didn't really look its best. Now I know why!

HK: here's my first :cheese:

zen_oven
June 4th, 2009, 03:55 PM
I oil it when it is dry. Sometimes it might be a bit damp if it's a wash day and I don't have enough time to let it dry completely. It doesn't seem to make much difference.

enfys
June 4th, 2009, 04:04 PM
I oil when it's dry because I can't tell how much it needs when it's wet. The colour of my wet hair is the same as my over-oiled to a gross mess colour.

winter_star
June 6th, 2009, 09:12 PM
I oil when my hair is wet and dry, but mostly when it's dry because it soaks in better.

Desideira
June 21st, 2009, 09:18 AM
I use coconut oil on dry hair before wasihng. I never tied to use it on wet hair as a leave but I think It cant hurt to try:D

RoseRedDead
June 21st, 2009, 09:29 AM
Sometimes wet, sometimes damp. I do prewash heavy oilings on wet hair (misted with a mix of distilled water and cone-free/protein-free conditioner), and occasionally a very light oiling to help with tangles and add some shine on dry hair.

I haven't quite gotten the hang of the dry hair thing, though, because it seems that even if I add just a little, my ends go CRUNCH.

Not good.

Cherry_Sprinkle
June 21st, 2009, 09:37 AM
I don't use straight oil, but I use my shea butter conditioning cream (with coconut oil in it) most often on the ends after I get out of a shower. On occasion, though, if my hair is REALLY dry, I load it full of the shea cream when dry, then shower, then apply a bit more afterwards. This is pretty rare, though, maybe once every 3-4 months.

I pretty much do the same thing but I am using coconut and evoo :)

MandaMom2Three
June 21st, 2009, 02:53 PM
I only apply dry when doing a deep oil treatment. For everyday oiling itMUST be wet, dry just looks aweful!

swanns
June 21st, 2009, 02:59 PM
I try to do a heavy oilin with coconut oil on dry hair at least a few hours before every washing. I don't really use oil as a leave-in. I do use jojoba oil to tame the frizzies and on the ends, though, and I do that on dry hair as well.

ericthegreat
June 21st, 2009, 03:15 PM
I apply oil to my hair when its completely dry, never wet. Wet hair simply can't fully absorb the oil fully since it has already absorbed water. I usually use either coconut oil or avocado oil for my oil treatments. I will usually apply the oil late at night, cover up my bed pillow and go to sleep. And if its the weekend I will simply leave it in all day and shampoo it out that night.

Henrietta
August 15th, 2010, 11:28 AM
Generally when it's dry but I have noticed some great softness today after putting a drop of coconut oil on my wet hair yesterday. So maybe... I will change my oiling routine? And I will do deep overnight treatments before every washing like I do now, but also I will put some oil on wet hair? Hmm...

Othala
August 15th, 2010, 02:38 PM
Always when dry as it seems to absorb and coat better, but always over conditioned hair, never on naked hair.

MNoelH
August 15th, 2010, 03:53 PM
I just started oiling on dry hair the night before a wash. I'm using quite a bit of jojoba oil and bunning it for the night's sleep.

Since I'm also trying to CO only, I'm finding it difficult to get it out. Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong? I CO washed this morning and my hair didn't ever dry because it was still too oily. I just finished my second CO wash and I'm not sure if it's gone yet. I may end up doing another wash here shortly.

Should I use shampoo instead after an oiling to get the stuff gone?

Crackaleen
August 15th, 2010, 04:04 PM
I generally oil when my hair is dry, but I've also been known to oil when it's still damp. I've never oiled wet hair, knowing how my hair behaves I don't think it'd turn out well.

Lianna
August 15th, 2010, 04:07 PM
I prefer wet, but always when I'm not leaving the house for the day *heavy oiling*.

christine1989
August 15th, 2010, 04:22 PM
I always do it when damp because it prevents frizz and mkes it nice and silky when dry.

Lady Jo
August 15th, 2010, 07:49 PM
I oil my hair when it's dry specially hours before I wash my hair..

Loreley
August 16th, 2010, 04:56 AM
I voted depends. I oil it after washing when it's wet and the next evening I oil it again when it's dry. :)

Dragon
September 13th, 2010, 03:35 AM
I voted dry. My hair like it better on dry.

Luna Lavender
September 13th, 2010, 03:38 AM
I voted when dry. Seems to work better. However, I've only tried a heavy oiling on wet hair, no small amounts. I'll probably have to try that sometime.

charalito
October 4th, 2010, 09:27 AM
Dry for me! I oil as a prewash treatment and to prevent chlorine damage when I swim.

virgo75
October 4th, 2010, 10:47 AM
Dry as a pre-wash treatment, and then again while slightly damp after air drying to about 75%-80% dry.

Oiling while wet makes it really hard for me to tell if I've used too much or too little, so I don't.

Wicked Princess
October 4th, 2010, 11:00 AM
I voted "it depends". Normally, I wait until my hair is 3/4 of the way dry before I touch and feel if it will need a little extra help to tame any frizz. I always use a leave in conditioner on my hair (which is my normal conditioner with 1:3 conditioner:water) so I mostly don't need it after a wash.

Aquamarine
October 4th, 2010, 11:07 AM
I voted "dry". I usually put coconut oil in my hair the night before washing it. Haven't really tried when my hair is wet. Maybe I'll try it sometime.:)

lunalovegood
October 4th, 2010, 11:32 AM
I'm a coconut oil addict. :D I use it on dry hair as a pre-wash treatment, on wet hair straight from the shower and again when it's almost dry. I also use it as needed in between washes for a bit of frizz taming.

tinti
October 4th, 2010, 12:21 PM
I oil when dry, if I do it when my hair is wett it turns out like a greasy mess.

Pacific
October 5th, 2010, 01:19 AM
I only oil when my hair is dry.

habioku
October 5th, 2010, 04:46 AM
Both. I oil my dry hair for deep oiling before I wash my hair and at the days between the washes. And I oil my wet hair after the wash.

Roscata
October 5th, 2010, 12:45 PM
I only do it when wet. I'm not sure why but it feels right for my hair.

RedStripe
October 5th, 2010, 04:00 PM
Generally my only oiling is to oil the ends just after washing. My hair's kind of fuzzy, though, so I'm considering doing a light oiling (when dry) in the front sometimes to keep the frizz under control.

aphilosopher
October 5th, 2010, 07:53 PM
I oil my hair when dry, usually a day or two before I wash it, using coconut oil scented with a couple drops of lavender oil. I oil from the ears down, since by then my scalp and canopy are already plenty oily. This makes a great excuse for awesome milkmaid braids.

sunrain
October 6th, 2010, 02:13 AM
I voted wet since I oil my hair when damp, or misting. Helps trap moisture. I haven't tried heavy oiling with wet/damp hair, but perhaps I should...

Floh
September 5th, 2016, 07:55 AM
I oil my hair when it's still wet.

TatsuOni
September 6th, 2016, 10:24 AM
Sometimes when wet sometimes when dry...depends.

I mosly oil during winters. Then I often put a little oil in my wet hair after hair wash and some more in the ends about a week after the wash because they're starting to get dry. Sometimes I do an oiltreatment the day/a few days before before wash (in dry hair).

Kat-Rinnč Naido
September 11th, 2016, 06:38 AM
Both: I do a heavy oiling on dry hair the night before wash
After wash I oil while wet as a LOC styling method and when it is about 95 percent dry I apply Fox's shea butter conditioning cream

brookse
September 11th, 2016, 05:55 PM
I voted sometimes wet sometimes dry because I oil my hair a little when I get out of the shower, and then as needed between washes to bring some life back to my hair and feed the ends as they get dry. And then I usually pre-poo with coconut oil on my dry hair.

jlau1827
September 28th, 2016, 05:20 AM
I always oil my hair after washing it. Then I oil depending on how dry my hair feels. Usually oil it at night on 2nd day hair.
However, that being said, I'm notorious for being lazy, so sometimes I just don't oil at all!

Groovy Granny
September 28th, 2016, 05:33 AM
When wet, mostly to combat Winter dryness; it isn't needed otherwise.

Pacific
September 28th, 2016, 12:11 PM
A couple of hours before washing on dry hair. Usually once a week.

vampyyri
September 29th, 2016, 09:13 PM
Never, my hair detests oil :lol: Rarely I'll use it damp braiding to add shine, but otherwise I don't use it.

hobbitlocks
September 29th, 2016, 09:37 PM
I'm constantly oiling my hair! I add a couple drops damp after the shower, I like to oil my braid tassel between showers, and then I like to use coconut oil on my lengths the day before a full wash. So both ways and all the time :cheese:

littlestarface
September 29th, 2016, 09:42 PM
Only before a wash.

Tahnee
October 1st, 2016, 01:59 AM
I oil my hair when its wet. Putting oil in my dry hair makes it sort of crunchy :(

Goatdaly
October 3rd, 2016, 12:10 PM
I put a couple of drops of argan oil on my boar's hair brush and at first it's a little oily but it adds a little all the time.

lapushka
October 3rd, 2016, 12:28 PM
I sometimes do the rinse-out oil method (link is in my signature). I use MO for that. My bottle still isn't finished. I plan on using up my sweet almond oil and macadamia oil when the MO is finished, before I venture into olive oil. At least that's my plan. I might try olive oil first, though. Not sure yet, we'll see. Still a lot of MO to use up first. :)

cassandraj
October 3rd, 2016, 02:17 PM
I oil after every shower while damp. I also use a bit of oil when it's dry if it's frizzy, or looking rough/dry.

MaiaMoon
October 6th, 2016, 02:45 AM
On dry hair before washing :)

hanne jensen
October 6th, 2016, 04:56 AM
I oil my hair when slightly damp and as needed when dry.

Nymphe
October 6th, 2016, 06:41 AM
I use oil when I detangle, wet or dry. Castor oil has worked better than any conditioner I have ever used to work out knots.

Shepherdess
October 6th, 2016, 08:58 AM
More often than not, I will now use a bit of olive oil or jojoba oil and mix it with a tiny bit of leave in to rub through my hair after a shower or when it is wet. It really helps my hair with moisture retention and tames down the frizz. I used to do it on my dry hair more, and still do occasionally when detangling, but besides detangling I find there is more benefit for my hair using oil when damp instead.

WonderFrau
October 7th, 2016, 11:16 AM
I oil my hair when dry the night before I wash it. I never tried it wet though. Maybe a new experiment to try in the future?

Margrit
September 23rd, 2018, 07:05 AM
sometimes when wet sometimes when dry...depends

GoatLady
December 26th, 2022, 09:33 AM
When damp, before shampooing.

Peony91
December 26th, 2022, 04:26 PM
I oil my hair half an hour to an hour before shampooing when I use oils that are “heavier” on my (fine) hair. With a lightweight oil, I put it on my ends before brushing or over braids. I always put oil on my ends before going outside when it’s cold.

Bat
January 28th, 2023, 12:48 AM
Both wet AND dry on the same wash day

Illia570
January 28th, 2023, 07:14 AM
I put a tiny amount of oil every night before breading, that way they are all silky and shiny the next day. I put a bigger amount of oil every 15 days before shampooing : one oil for the scalp, and another one for the lengths

GoatLady
January 28th, 2023, 12:48 PM
I rarely oil my hair anymore. I suspect it, and some of my harsher shampoos, were stripping my henna. Now I only oil the ends after washing. And I switched to a color-safe shampoo and conditioner.

Fiorentina
January 29th, 2023, 09:57 AM
I voted: when dry

babushka27
January 30th, 2023, 06:26 AM
I voted sometimes when wet and sometimes when dry. I've been putting a small amount of oil on my ends and scalp whenever I feel like it needs it, with a little massage. Mostly to go on my scalp's problem areas..
At least an hour before washing I will use a bigger amount of oil and massage, and generously on the ends. After washing sometimes I put a little more on my scalp on problem areas..and some aloe vera