PDA

View Full Version : How do you measure layered hair?

Nicole.Amina
June 19th, 2008, 02:06 AM
I recently cut long layers into my hair. Now I have no idea how to measure my hair.

Should I measure from hairline to the bottom of where the hair at my hairline ends? Or measure to the bottom of the longest layer?

Any help?

Liluri
June 19th, 2008, 02:14 AM
I'd still measure from hairline to the longest layer, I'd note that my hair was layered but it's as long as the longest layer when you look at layered hair still.

rapunzhell13
June 19th, 2008, 02:21 AM
I've been wondering about this!

Riot Crrl
June 19th, 2008, 02:24 AM
Lol, I totally just measure the longest part. :)

jel
June 19th, 2008, 02:47 AM
Me too - to the longest tippy-tip, stretched as well!

EvaSimone
June 19th, 2008, 02:53 AM
Yep me too! The longest part!

Katze
June 19th, 2008, 03:28 AM
I measure three times and take an average. My layers are old, grown-out ones (see upper left pic in sig pic - the famous 2004 "trendy shag cut") and the bottom hairs are barely long enough to be worth considering. So I usually measure to where "most" of the longest layer is. If you look at my avatar pic, you can see about 2 inches that do reach BSL, but I measure somewhere between the thick part and those last two inches.

Many people here with fairytale ends measure to the very tippy-tips of the layers, but I don't - I consider my hair as long as the longest AND thickest part.

this is making me think about trimming again!

Silver & Gold
June 19th, 2008, 06:57 AM
I believe the standard for measuring here is to start at the front of your hairline and let the tape measurer run down your head to the back and measure the the bottom end of your hair.

Technically you're not measuring the length of your hair unless your 'fringe' extends all the way to the back of your head but at least it gives a standard to go by. One could just lift their hair and measure a section from the root to the tip but again this can be a problem if each section is a different length.

froglet
June 19th, 2008, 07:05 AM
I believe the standard for measuring here is to start at the front of your hairline and let the tape measurer run down your head to the back and measure the the bottom end of your hair.

Yes, this is how I always did it when I had layers. Up over the head and down to the very tippy points at the end of center back.

Patrycja
June 19th, 2008, 02:38 PM
I measure my longest layers(BSL) because if I measured my shortest-I'll still be at shoulder :lol:

Nicole.Amina
June 19th, 2008, 05:55 PM
Measure to the longest layers it is then! Works for me....