PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using minoxidil?

Panth
May 26th, 2011, 11:37 AM
Hey, everyone,

Was just doing a search about hair length in scientific journals and came across this article that you might want to consider.

Smorlesi C et al. (2003) Topically applied minoxidil may cause fetal malformation: A case report. Birth Defects Research Part A - Clinical and Molecular Teratology. 67, 997-1001.

The info I have on it is the abstract, as follows [highlight to see, I want to you read my paragraph before - don't need anyone panicking!]:

BACKGROUND: Minoxidil is a K+ channel opener able to cause relaxation of vascular smooth muscles and modify cell growth and cell fate or migration. It is now widely used for its hair growth promoting effects. When locally applied, it is absorbed through the skin and may have systemic pharmacological effects. CASE: A 28-year-old white pregnant woman daily applied minoxidil 2% to her scalp because of hair loss. At the 22nd gestational week, after a routine ultrasound test showing significant brain, heart, and vascular malformations of the fetus, pregnancy was interrupted. The placenta had numerous ischemic areas and a discrepancy between gestational age and villi maturation. In the villi, capillaries were increased in number, significantly enlarged, and excessively marginalized. The fetus' heart was increased in volume and had a globose shape, the aorta had a distal stenosis. The sigmoid colon was significantly increased in length and a mesentery commune was present. The brain had enlarged ventricles and abundant hemorrhages. Histological examination showed areas of demyelinization with gliosis, signs of excessive and inappropriate angiogenesis, and capillary rearrangement. CONCLUSIONS: Further knowledge on minoxidil-induced fetal toxicity would be beneficial before allowing its use in pregnant women.

Now, obviously this is only one case report. No proper study, certainly not double-blind or anything. Perhaps this was just a freak occurrence. However, information is always better than no information.

*hugs*

Keep safe, all you lovely long-hair-growing people.

Anje
May 26th, 2011, 12:14 PM
Interesting, and thanks for the info. My DH uses it, but obviously pregnancy isn't a consideration there.

People should also generally be aware that the stuff is quite toxic to cats, and care should be taken that they don't step in drops of it or anything like that.

dulce
May 26th, 2011, 12:31 PM
On the minoxidol safety precautions label on the outer box it says not for use by women or during pregnancy.It is safe for older women who lose hair through aging and who are not going to get pregnant.If you are female and younger definitely you shouldn't use it if there's a chance you could get pregnant.Make sure you have very strong birth control .I use it on my thinning temples and that box warning worried me so I spoke to the pharmacist before I started useing it.