PDA

View Full Version : How to use Aloe Vera extract

Valdeon
May 26th, 2011, 10:34 AM
I read somewhere on the boards that Aloe vera attracts moisture to hair. So I bought aloe vera extract and now I cannot find the info on how to use it (besides SMT) :( please help! :flowers:

WittyWordsmith
May 26th, 2011, 10:49 AM
I use it like a regular gel! Large dab into my palm and then I scrunch it throughout my hair. Also used in de-frizz sprays around here. http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=277

Yozhik
May 26th, 2011, 10:49 AM
I use it as a leave-in mixed with coconut oil right after I wash when my hair is damp or still wet. :)

It works to define the curls, keep the moisture in, and causes the coconut oil to be more spreadable and less lint-attracting.

HTH! :flower:

Valdeon
May 26th, 2011, 11:18 AM
Thank you for the advice!

SO I do not have any curls to define or fly aways to tame. Will it be any good if I put it directly on the length (wet? dry?) for moisturizing purposes or will it dry out the hair as so many other extracts do?

newbeginning
May 26th, 2011, 02:00 PM
I'll have to try it for styling. I am curious about the moisturizing aspect too.

Aredhel77
May 26th, 2011, 02:13 PM
A lot of us here apply it to clean damp hair for a bit of extra moisture - you may need to play with the amount and just find what works. You could of course smooth a little bit over dry hair also. And...of course it's great for skin too if you find your hair doesn't like it applied that way :-)

Just experiment and see if you like it ;-)

Yozhik
May 26th, 2011, 04:48 PM
Oh, I also remembered that some people use it on their scalps to soothe the itchies. :)

I'd suggest putting it on wet hair unless you're going for a really gelled look.

Also, remember that aloe is a humectant, just like honey, so from what I gather it depends on what type of climate you're in to whether it will moisturize your hair or suck moisture out (i.e. if you're in a very dry climate, it'll draw the moisture out of your hair into the air, but if you live in a more humid climate, it'll draw the moisture into your hair). I'm kind of fuzzy on the details, so you might want to look this up on your own just to make sure I'm getting it right, though. :o

Dizzy_zzz
May 26th, 2011, 05:23 PM
Okay, this isn't strictly for hair, but I use it on my face every night and it made ALL of my blemishes go away...Otherwise I use it in Kimberlily's (?) defrizz spray, SMTs, and an end moisturizer gel that I make.