PDA

View Full Version : "Head pubes" breaking off like crazy?

klcqtee
May 26th, 2011, 09:31 AM
I have some very wiry hairs ("head pubes") through out my hair. I figured, huh, that's weird, but no big deal. Everyone has varying textures in their hair.

Now when I find them, I'll just casually play with them (like I do all my hair) and it breaks off, or peels (like one would peel the layers of an onion).

Any ideas on why this happens? They grow out like that. From root to tip they have the same consistency.

Fingolphin
May 26th, 2011, 09:48 AM
LOL. Um...I've never heard that term before. :)

klcqtee
May 26th, 2011, 09:52 AM
I read it on this forum, and I forget who started it, but it just seems like such an appropriate term! haha

Sylvanas
May 26th, 2011, 10:18 AM
I get them every now and then, but not in the same spot. It can be anywhere on my head, but doesn't seem to grow back out in the same place if I pluck it, which just makes it even weirder. I always assumed there was a temporary malfunction in the follicle, making that strand of hair different from the rest. Maybe the follicle is clogged, and somehow that changes the shape of the hole that determins what your hair grows out like? This is obviously just a wild guess, but maybe by pulling the hair out, whatever's blocking the hole gets pulled out with it.

There's another weird thing with my hair that I can't find any plausible explanation for. At the top of my head, and slightly to the right, I have this tuft of hair that's always frizzy, course and difficult to comb through. However, it's only like this about 4 centimeters from the roots, and the total length of frizzy, course hair is maybe 6 cm. I have 4 cm of normal roots --> frizzy patch --> normal length. I just don't get it. It's been like this since childhood, and the patch is always in the same spot. As my hair grows, the course frizz turns into normal hair, and what was earlier shiny roots becomes frizz. It can't really be mechanical damage, as I don't sleep on it, it's not where I part my hair, and it's not where I fasten the elastic if I do a ponytail. Madness!

proo
May 26th, 2011, 10:24 AM
I also have a coarse, wirey patch surrounded by smooth hair - mine is a 3" mohawk down the midde, from forehead to crown. Needless to say it's my waterloo. Sometimes I just want to cut the patch short, keep the rest long - a reverse mullet. Makes me snort to picture it.

jojo
May 26th, 2011, 10:49 AM
hair pubes oh yeas i have loads, there just new growth mine tend to soften up as they get longer.

Sylvanas
May 26th, 2011, 11:13 AM
I also have a coarse, wirey patch surrounded by smooth hair - mine is a 3" mohawk down the midde, from forehead to crown. Needless to say it's my waterloo. Sometimes I just want to cut the patch short, keep the rest long - a reverse mullet. Makes me snort to picture it.

I'd love to see that mullet :spitting:
I'd have to get a sidecut down the middle of the right side. I suppose it would look almost as attractive as a reverse mullet.

newbeginning
May 26th, 2011, 02:03 PM
I get those hairs too. I don't know why. I find the term "head pubes" hilarious.

dragonchickx
May 26th, 2011, 02:04 PM
Ive never heard of that XP guess I should look harder

abbatabba1137
May 26th, 2011, 09:20 PM
HaHaHa! I love this term! It just fits so perfectly!

I've just started to notice mine this past year. I seem to get them towards the back of my crown(near my cowlick). They only ever seem to be a few inches long, although, every once in awhile I shed a 'full length' hair. I call those my hulk hairs!

MoonlightShadow
May 26th, 2011, 10:16 PM
i get "head pubes" too! =O and they usually do break off when i twirl them in my finger for so long :( i always thought they might be there because the follicle was traumatized/damaged and it caused the hair to come out in a weird texture.....
heh heh...:o

|Xei
May 26th, 2011, 10:29 PM
I have never heard of this term before,and I find it more hilarious than it probably should be (well, what can I say? I'm very immature :D ). But yes, I do have a few of these, and they've been ever since I can remember. I'm guessing these hairs exist due to a random follicle that just happens to produce wiry hairs, just like the other follicles that may produce a finer/courser hair, but the difference is just more prominent.

caiti42
May 27th, 2011, 12:54 AM
My mum says the technical term is "squiggly bits" lol

alwayssmiling
May 27th, 2011, 01:27 AM
I get them on my crown. (I'm probably the only one here who hates that term, its probably because I remember someone saying it in an unkind way when I was a teenager) I used to pluck them out obsessively leaving a very thin spot ontop :( Hairdressers would have a look of disgust when they saw them, and make comments - this was before hairstraigheners were invented, which ironically is why I have had a straightening addiction which I'm now trying to give up :o

I now know (from being here) that curly hair needs more moisture, to stop them from breaking but also to keep them tamed. So I moisturise the crown section quite heavily with leave ins. Humectants actually make these strands "ping" out more so I avoid them. SLS shampoos make them "ping" out more so I avoid them. Frizz ease and serums didn't really make much difference either. Conditioner is my friend, they are still there but they are sitting nicely underneath the rest of my hair iykwim and most importantly they are growing with the rest of my hair giving them a bit of weight.

ilovelonghair
May 27th, 2011, 05:00 AM
Mine are throughout my hair, so no patches, I'm lucky! A friend of mine used to have them in a patch and she kept pulling them out, the patch became bigger and bigger. Now she doesn't have that patch anymore.
A hair dresser once told me that if you pull them out they come back wiry again, but also if you pull out normal hairs they tend to grow back weird and wiry (because the hair follicle has been damaged). That's probably what happened with my friend. Once you stop pulling them out, they will eventually grow back to normal.

EloraD
June 26th, 2014, 11:21 PM
I need help with that too! I remember I used to have them when growing up and I plucked a few but I stopped years ago and now Im noticing that they are ALLOVER MY HEAD. They are infiltrated in my normal hairs, they are as long as some other hairs (33 inches long) and a lot of them are at the top of my head and are shorter like 6 inches long.
This is a nightmare and I never find out what it is. Ive done blood tests and theres nothing wrong with my body. Because they have started to appear with my other hairs im thinking it MUST be something that caused them to get like that.. some chemical??
I don't use sulfate, everything I use is natural but I did do the brazilian keratin hair treatment twice a few years ago and it totally changed my hair dramatically forever. Took care of all my problems. I had perfect salon hair even when letting it air dry.
Anyone knows anything more about this?

molljo
June 27th, 2014, 02:49 PM
I have lots of these too, and I've found that protein can make them wirier, and it brings out the bumpiness of other hairs. I'd check your products for protein, you may be on your way to overload. Treat yourself to a moisturizing SMT, and see if that softens things up, and try to limit protein in your products or stay away from it completely.

martyna_22
June 27th, 2014, 03:21 PM
I seriously hate them. They're much darker than the rest of the strands, thus more visible.. And to add insult to injury, I get them on top of my head, and my hair is rather straight, so.. yay, let's just hope non LHC-related people don't pay attention, I don't have that many after all :rolleyes:

Fiachain
June 27th, 2014, 03:34 PM
I have one... I remember thinking I had random ones that popped up once in a while, but I realised a few years back that they all grew in the same place, and so I kept an eye on it- it's always the same hair follicle :p One long, black, wiery hair in the back of my head that grows faster than the rest, and sticks out of every braid! The rest of my hair is very fine, thin and blonde. I'm starting to like it though, it's like my head tells me it has the capasity to grow thick hair, it just doesn't want to

JustPam
July 1st, 2014, 12:09 PM
I just plucked one of these off the top of my head, very weird! Tried to take a picture but my camera wont focus that close.

Jonquil
July 1st, 2014, 02:56 PM
I have these too! They're spread out all over my scalp but concentrated mostly around the crown. I used to play with them and eventually pull them out. Trying to stop pulling them out now, I need to hold onto every hair I have on my head since I'm thinning.

There's also a patch of shorter, dark and wiry hair right along my front hairline. They ruin every hairstyle I try to do because they're too short to be pulled back and they never lay flat. I'm hoping they'll just grow out because if I pull them all out I'll be left with a big bald patch right at the hairline :/