PDA

View Full Version : Do I smell a new LHC trend?

PraiseCheeses
May 25th, 2011, 09:02 PM
I'm scheduled for a cortisone shot in my neck tomorrow morning. BF and I were discussing the treatment when he said:

"I think I told you that President Kennedy used to get those. Did you know cortisone makes your hair follicles grow in thicker?"

Naturally, I thought of y'all. :lol:

HintOfMint
May 25th, 2011, 11:12 PM
I just got a rather disturbing image of a bunch of long haired ladies (and a few gents) talking about "shooting up.":p

christine1989
May 25th, 2011, 11:19 PM
I don't think insurence providers would take kindly to paying for cortizone as a hair growth treatment ;). I took cortizone (pills) for a long while but it has been so long that I forget if it effected my hair. Prednizone did though! It gave me quite a few new hairs that are now about 6 inches long :).

Mesmerise
May 25th, 2011, 11:23 PM
I don't think insurence providers would take kindly to paying for cortizone as a hair growth treatment ;). I took cortizone (pills) for a long while but it has been so long that I forget if it effected my hair. Prednizone did though! It gave me quite a few new hairs that are now about 6 inches long :).

As long as they're on your HEAD! :p

christine1989
May 25th, 2011, 11:43 PM
As long as they're on your HEAD! :p

Good point! The pills I take now make hair grow faster on your head but also make eyebrows and eyelashes grow like weeds :mad:. I'm tweezing my eyebrows daily and having to trim my lashes if I want to be able to see :rolleyes:.

gogirlanime
May 26th, 2011, 01:15 AM
Very interesting, wouldn't be a very healthy trend though. I was reading up on it, and everywhere it says a "natural alternative" would be MSM and glucosamine which is funny cuz those make your hair grow. Very interesting non the less, thanks :)

SpeakingEZ
May 26th, 2011, 01:22 AM
I'm not going to lie-- if I had the money, I would totally do this. I don't mind tweezing my eyebrows daily and I would love longer/ thicker eyelashes/ hair.

Gogirlanime, glucoasmine doesn't have any effect on my hair growth. I take it for my joints and injuries and as far as I'm concerned, that's all it's good for. (Maybe it's making my hair stronger and I didn't notice?)

Eolan
May 26th, 2011, 02:37 AM
Yes, this is apparantly one of the possible "side affects" of my cortisone solution as well. I thought it was called steroids in English, by the way. Hm.

Mannaz
May 26th, 2011, 03:48 AM
I just got a rather disturbing image of a bunch of long haired ladies (and a few gents) talking about "shooting up.":p

Hahahah! The things one would do for better hair... :confused:

pixistixx
May 26th, 2011, 05:11 AM
cortisone injections wouldn't really be worth it in my opinion... you'd get a suppressed immune system if you got them all the time. They've been recommended to me for my RA in the past, but since I am prone to virus and infection, natural ways have been just as effective. They can also do a number on skin quality over time..

Panth
May 26th, 2011, 05:50 AM
Yes, this is apparantly one of the possible "side affects" of my cortisone solution as well. I thought it was called steroids in English, by the way. Hm.

They are called steroids, corticosteroids to be precise (as opposed to anabolic steroids, which are the ones that bodybuilders sometimes abuse). Cortisone is one of the numerous chemicals that are in the corticosteroid group. :)

But yeah, wouldn't catch me doing that. Just simple hydrocortisone cream (like you use for bug bites and rashes) can cause serious problems if you use it for too long, never mind injections:

cortisone injections wouldn't really be worth it in my opinion... you'd get a suppressed immune system if you got them all the time. They've been recommended to me for my RA in the past, but since I am prone to virus and infection, natural ways have been just as effective. They can also do a number on skin quality over time..

Eolan
May 26th, 2011, 05:54 AM
They are called steroids, corticosteroids to be precise (as opposed to anabolic steroids, which are the ones that bodybuilders sometimes abuse). Cortisone is one of the numerous chemicals that are in the corticosteroid group. :)

So I had gotten it right, then. Phew! Thanks, Panth.

alyanna
May 26th, 2011, 08:10 AM
Oooh I don't know if this will catch on as a trend, and if it does, it'll get pretty dangerous pretty quickly. Cortisone has horrible side effects and most people that have to take it for various illness really hate it. It's always a quest to reduce it as much as possible.

Anje
May 26th, 2011, 08:15 AM
I wouldn't want the side effects, that's for sure!

However, I believe cortisone injections are used in alopecia areata spots to trigger hair growth again.