PDA

View Full Version : anybody want to join me in a rooibos experiment?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

jojo
May 25th, 2011, 06:58 PM
I have been drinking quite a bit of rooibo tea for just over a week and I have made a strong brew which I have put in a spray bottle. I have also done some final rinses (not rinsing) which have made my hair quite soft and shiny. I plan starting tomorrow to spray my scalp before sleeping and will see how it goes. The way I see it, is even if it doesn't work it can't do you any harm as it doesn't contain chemicals. I have noticed no side effects using it as a rinse, only positives.

I plan to re-create the experiment made by a French scientist which stated positive results, regarding increased hair growth when this is used as a topical scalp treatment.

Here is a little information:- http://www.zooscape.com/cgi-bin/news...r?-trait108886

I am very interested to see if this works and plan to try it for 90 days. Anybody care to join me?

ETA- I have looked on Pubmed for more evidence based proof, but there is nothing BUT looking at the 1998 results I wonder if the same results could be recreated here on LHC.

please can mods merge this thread with http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=50836 this one? thank you mwha x

melissa8989
May 25th, 2011, 07:01 PM
Im in! My mother has a bunch laying around from a forgotten health fling and my ash blonde roots clash with my old henna perfectly so i should be able to tell :p

TheBluffs
May 25th, 2011, 07:04 PM
Can you get rooibo tea in reagualr stores, or do you have to order it online?

melissa8989
May 25th, 2011, 07:06 PM
I think most major stores have it, but health stores like whole foods for sure.

jojo
May 25th, 2011, 07:08 PM
Wow you where quick to reply! great. I put 2 teabags into 1/2 pint water (mug) and I am leaving it overnight to infuse and plan to spray it on my scalp before bed tomorrow.

I am going to go off my fringe, its presently a teeny bit past my eyebrow. i actually trimmed it to my eyebrow last week, maybe the rinses have helped? but will go off that and my monthly measurements. Hope some more join, it will be interesting to see if our results match the original experiment.

Good Luck! and thank you for joining me!

jojo
May 25th, 2011, 07:08 PM
Can you get rooibo tea in reagualr stores, or do you have to order it online?

most stores sell it it also known as redbush tea.

jojo
May 25th, 2011, 07:09 PM
Welcome everybody else, this is going to be fun!

cheetahfast
May 25th, 2011, 07:15 PM
I'm in! But I don't actually measure my hair so I may not be much help...

jojo
May 25th, 2011, 07:18 PM
^^ doesnt matter make a note of body marks, like it says your shoulder length now just eyeball it or take a photo! as long as we see growth!

HintOfMint
May 25th, 2011, 11:44 PM
I was thinking of mixing a strong brew of it with some jojoba oil to dab on my scalp. Or do you think I should just apply it straight? I'm not one for going to outlandish lengths for hair growth, but this one seems harmless enough.

Only problem is, I'm not really sure what my growth rate is, so I lack a control for this experiment. Last checked, from my last haircut, I grew a half inch in a month, which is pretty average. However, I don't know if it changes seasonally. Ah well. I'll have to be the deeply unscientific lass of the thread.

Lee's Girl
May 25th, 2011, 11:50 PM
I'm in! I just had to do a trim (ugh!) to get rid of old damage, I've been drinking Rooibos lately, I'll start saving my bags after I make my tea to use for this. This should be fun! I am trying to grow get to waist (at least) by my wedding in November - hoping this will help!

RachieBaby
May 26th, 2011, 03:19 AM
I would like to try this! However I think I may just end up drinking it hehe tastes so good! :P

Debra83
May 26th, 2011, 03:23 AM
I'm definitely going to try this...I'll try and get some this weekend! I'll try drinking it too, but I really like my Tetley's tea! How do you pronounce it anyway? I'd like the clerk to know what I'm asking for!!!!:o

alwayssmiling
May 26th, 2011, 03:36 AM
Debra "Rew-ee-boss" or redbush.

Jojo I'm in as I was thinking about experimenting with it topically. I like your idea of using a spray bottle. Does it help growth taken internally?

tgagurl27
May 26th, 2011, 04:35 AM
Ooooo I'll join.. I bought myself two types of Rooibos (original and with spice cinnnamon I think), what I was wanting to do was have my tea (as I don't want to "waste" a perfectly good beverage) then open up the tea bag and mix the tea with my hair oils.. One thing I was worried about though is that it might colour my hair as I have quite light coloured hair.. Do you think it would?:confused:

kyandii
May 26th, 2011, 05:37 AM
I'll give this ago when I get some more tea bags, I have to ask my boyfriends family to get m them as no shops near me sell it!
I'll be starting around June 4th.

Eolan
May 26th, 2011, 05:58 AM
The spray bottle thing is very nifty, jojo. I kind of want to try that. :)

sunnydays
May 26th, 2011, 06:46 AM
id rank roobios, not for hair growth but because of its antioxidants, I can tell you i noticed nothing in my growth at all.

jojo
May 26th, 2011, 06:58 AM
I was thinking of mixing a strong brew of it with some jojoba oil to dab on my scalp. Or do you think I should just apply it straight? I'm not one for going to outlandish lengths for hair growth, but this one seems harmless enough.

Only problem is, I'm not really sure what my growth rate is, so I lack a control for this experiment. Last checked, from my last haircut, I grew a half inch in a month, which is pretty average. However, I don't know if it changes seasonally. Ah well. I'll have to be the deeply unscientific lass of the thread.
I thought of doing this too, but for now I am just going to try with straight rooibo and see what happens. Just take photos if you don't measure

I'm in! I just had to do a trim (ugh!) to get rid of old damage, I've been drinking Rooibos lately, I'll start saving my bags after I make my tea to use for this. This should be fun! I am trying to grow get to waist (at least) by my wedding in November - hoping this will help!
Thats what i do too, looking at the past experiment youve a good chance getting there

I would like to try this! However I think I may just end up drinking it hehe tastes so good! :P
im addicted to the stuff, 80 teabags in 7 days but it makes me feel far more alert that tea with caffeine in it

I'm definitely going to try this...I'll try and get some this weekend! I'll try drinking it too, but I really like my Tetley's tea! How do you pronounce it anyway? I'd like the clerk to know what I'm asking for!!!!:o
just ask for redbush i always wonder if im asking for it right, coop does their own make £1.30 for 40 teabags! exact same as tetleys ones

Debra "Rew-ee-boss" or redbush.

Jojo I'm in as I was thinking about experimenting with it topically. I like your idea of using a spray bottle. Does it help growth taken internally?
I am not really sure but thinking of it logically theres no caffeine, it has vitamin c magnesium, potasium, copper and iron I think which are all very good for growth so I cannot see why drinking it in place of coffee and normal tea wouldnt result in faster growing hair

Ooooo I'll join.. I bought myself two types of Rooibos (original and with spice cinnnamon I think), what I was wanting to do was have my tea (as I don't want to "waste" a perfectly good beverage) then open up the tea bag and mix the tea with my hair oils.. One thing I was worried about though is that it might colour my hair as I have quite light coloured hair.. Do you think it would?:confused:I am not sure if it will add any colour, from old threads on this the overall opinion was it didnt but all hair is different. Maybe use for a week say behind your ear in a small area of hair and see what happens. Cinnamon may lihgten hair though so maybe it will counter balance any colour discrepancies?? please do report back with any changes if you decide to continue with this.

I'll give this ago when I get some more tea bags, I have to ask my boyfriends family to get m them as no shops near me sell it!
I'll be starting around June 4th.
thats fine and good luck!

The spray bottle thing is very nifty, jojo. I kind of want to try that. :)yeah i thought it would be easier, just pony hair first and hold pony up and spray!
remember people to put your prepared mixture in the fridge it may spoil! and good luck to everybody trying this with me!

emeraldshade
May 26th, 2011, 07:55 AM
I'm going to try this too! I got some last Saturday, and have been drinking a cup every day. Never thought about using it on my scalp, but I'll do that also. And since I color my hair, it'll be easy to tell if it makes my hair grow any faster.

Chetanlaiho
May 26th, 2011, 09:06 AM
Since I read about it a week or so ago I've been drinking it a few cups a week, I should do more but I had exams and it wasn't exactly my priority xD

But, now that they're over (they're over!!) I plan on drinking it more often to see if it'll help ^^

ilovelonghair
May 26th, 2011, 09:12 AM
remember people to put your prepared mixture in the fridge it may spoil! and good luck to everybody trying this with me!

I think I'll just drink it :) Going to try this, I have to start on cat nip again so I can do this as well. Only my results won't be fair, because I use Daktarin as well.

jojo
May 26th, 2011, 11:00 AM
I'm going to try this too! I got some last Saturday, and have been drinking a cup every day. Never thought about using it on my scalp, but I'll do that also. And since I color my hair, it'll be easy to tell if it makes my hair grow any faster. me too drunk buckets of the stuff! my roots are lighter but my fringe is probably the best indicator!

Since I read about it a week or so ago I've been drinking it a few cups a week, I should do more but I had exams and it wasn't exactly my priority xD

But, now that they're over (they're over!!) I plan on drinking it more often to see if it'll help ^^ good luck with the results both exams and tea drinking!

I think I'll just drink it :) Going to try this, I have to start on cat nip again so I can do this as well. Only my results won't be fair, because I use Daktarin as well.
thats fine let us know if you see any speedier growth from just drinking. Ive just used up my last tube of daktarin so gonna stick with the rooibo scalp treatment.

theodora
May 26th, 2011, 11:22 AM
Oh I wanna join in! Been drinking about two cups a day (started before I found out it could help my hair as I'm super sensitive to caffeine so stopped drinking english tea). My hair just grew over an inch in two weeks. The problem is I never measure before I joined LHC but I'm still thinking it could be the tea.

So why not try the scalp spray? I'll let you know if it helps!

tigereye
May 26th, 2011, 11:37 AM
I'll try this. I'm wanting to reach Classic, but I still have about 11 inches to go, so every little bit of growth helps ;) . I'll head out to the shops sometime this week to go buy some:D.
How often are we doing the scalp spray? I have quite a dry, itchy scalp, and I only wash my hair once a week, but would it be fine to use the treatment every night, whilst only washing once a week? I guess i'll only find out by trying :p . Maybe it'll even help soothe my dry scalp a little. *crosses fingers and hopes* :pray:

EmiliaF
May 26th, 2011, 12:48 PM
I am definitely very interested and already bought a spray bottle for this purpose :D. Unfortunately, I can not open the link with the 'instructions'. Could anyone tell me what exactly this is about? Is it just rooibos tea sprayed on the scalp or is there more?
Thanks. :)

maysum
May 26th, 2011, 12:54 PM
Huh ... I've been drinking redbush tea recently (in an effort to cut down on my tetley tea caffeine addiction) - I never thought about applying in topically. I'll give it a go this weekend! My hair has been bobbing around my waist line *forever* and I'm keen to see it head towards tailbone soon! *is very impatient*

tigereye
May 26th, 2011, 12:55 PM
I am definitely very interested and already bought a spray bottle for this purpose :D. Unfortunately, I can not open the link with the 'instructions'. Could anyone tell me what exactly this is about? Is it just rooibos tea sprayed on the scalp or is there more?
Thought it was just my internet acting up. Good to know it wasn't just me who couldn't open the link. I was just planning on mixing up some rooibos tea and spraying it on my scalp each night, but i'm not sure, hence my post above asking about how often we would do it for...

jojo
May 26th, 2011, 02:48 PM
Oh I wanna join in! Been drinking about two cups a day (started before I found out it could help my hair as I'm super sensitive to caffeine so stopped drinking english tea). My hair just grew over an inch in two weeks. The problem is I never measure before I joined LHC but I'm still thinking it could be the tea.

So why not try the scalp spray? I'll let you know if it helps! wow thats encouraging, i drink about 8 pints a day!

I'll try this. I'm wanting to reach Classic, but I still have about 11 inches to go, so every little bit of growth helps ;) . I'll head out to the shops sometime this week to go buy some:D.
How often are we doing the scalp spray? I have quite a dry, itchy scalp, and I only wash my hair once a week, but would it be fine to use the treatment every night, whilst only washing once a week? I guess i'll only find out by trying :p . Maybe it'll even help soothe my dry scalp a little. *crosses fingers and hopes* :pray: I plan to use it on a daily basis before bed, its supposed to be very good for skin conditions, many mother claim it clears nappy rash very quickly.

I just put 2 tea bags in a mug of boiled water, left overnight and then poured into a spray bottle. Thats it!

Huh ... I've been drinking redbush tea recently (in an effort to cut down on my tetley tea caffeine addiction) - I never thought about applying in topically. I'll give it a go this weekend! My hair has been bobbing around my waist line *forever* and I'm keen to see it head towards tailbone soon! *is very impatient* mine too i want hip now!

Thought it was just my internet acting up. Good to know it wasn't just me who couldn't open the link. I was just planning on mixing up some rooibos tea and spraying it on my scalp each night, but i'm not sure, hence my post above asking about how often we would do it for...
I will see if i can find another link. It basically said 84% of people when applying rooibo topically experienced increased growth, decreased shed and stronger, shinier hair over a period of 90 days. I will edit with another link.

ETA- link http://www.segalshaircare.com/Rooibos-Hair-Loss-Study.php#aSummary this is a better one!

Sunny_side_up
May 26th, 2011, 02:48 PM
Sounds like its working very nicely on your hair :) You have lovely shine.
I havn't considered putting it on my hair, however i have been drinking it for the last few months every morning with my breakfast, i have enjoyed the stuff on and off for years. Recently i've been adding black strap molasses to it, such a rich colour and flavour boost, also extra nutritional value hey:)

EmiliaF
May 26th, 2011, 02:52 PM
Thanks, jojo!
I just did that and already sprayed it on my hair. It's incredibly soft already. It seems to be a great leave-in. :)
Let's see what the next 90 days will bring! :drama:

jojo
May 26th, 2011, 03:01 PM
me too just done a scalp treatment and put some on the very ends too, it dries pretty quick and no greasy roots just shine! wonder if this will be good in stretching washes out? A final rinse is lovely too.

ilovelonghair
May 27th, 2011, 03:49 AM
ETA- link http://www.segalshaircare.com/Rooibos-Hair-Loss-Study.php#aSummary this is a better one!

It doesn't work

jojo
May 27th, 2011, 07:46 PM
it did yesterday heck try this one http://www.raysahelian.com/rooibos.html http://www.home-herb-garden.com/rooibos.html and http://segalsolutionsindia.com/clinical_studies

Sorry there not the proper study papers but they give an idea of what im trying to re-create!

jojo
May 27th, 2011, 07:52 PM
Thanks, jojo!
I just did that and already sprayed it on my hair. It's incredibly soft already. It seems to be a great leave-in. :)
Let's see what the next 90 days will bring! :drama:

:beerchug: heres to the next 90 days may it bring us all longer lengths with plenty of shine and bounce!:cheese:

owlathena
May 27th, 2011, 09:22 PM
I'm in...for drinking it anyway.

I drink a couple cups of rooibos a day. I haven't kept much track on my length since I started though. But I hennaed yesterday so I'll have a good marker. I usually get 0.5in a month.

*goes to turn on kettle*

Jemoiselle
May 28th, 2011, 06:30 AM
Thanks to Alyanna for pointing me to this thread, I've been drinking Rooibos for a week so far for growth, I'm in! Though, I will point out up front that I have a hard time keeping up with posts LOL. Can I call that benign neglect? :) I usually get 1/2 inch a month or so, let's see how it goes! I haven't thought about putting it on topically though I ran across a study online by some ingredient manufacturer on the efficacy of rooibos as a haircare ingredient in hair loss shampoos etc. I'll have to find that and post it here, I think it is different than the one the Jojo was talking about...

Cool thread, thanks for starting it Jojo!

PianoPlaye
May 28th, 2011, 10:03 AM
I am not a fan of the taste, but for the potential benefits? I will certainly try it. Now to discourage the boys from drinking it...

Jemoiselle
May 28th, 2011, 10:34 AM
You know PianoPlaye, I used to hate the taste too! In fact, I had a ton of rooibos chai and other types of rooibos I bought one day on a whim thinking I would love it, and of course hated it, and insisted my best friend take it ALL home with her. Then later I learn it is great for hair growth supposedly...how about that irony! Now I have purchased a bunch more lol, and this time, funny enough I actually like it! Maybe it is because I am overseas now, and the Rooibos here is different? The stuff I hated was from the US. I am at a solid 20 inches right now, we'll see how it goes for the month of June! I can't believe it is (almost) June already.

lillylonghair
May 28th, 2011, 10:50 AM
I am very curious to see the results of topical applications. I don't often do rinses but I think I will order some tea and maybe make a commitment to drink a few cups a day and track growth. Maybe we can compile our results (topical,internal,topical and internal).

jojo
May 28th, 2011, 12:15 PM
Welcome everybody! well I have done 2 scalp treatments. For those worried about it changing the colour of their hair, I have sprayed it on my temple hairs which are virgin and a light blonde and after 2 treatments, there is no colour change. I am documenting this all in my blog.

I have so far had no side affects, in fact it helps with spreading washes out as it seems to keep my roots clean. Though i prefer drinking it, I have drunk 6 pints in 6 hours.....step back Rapunzel jojo is gonna knock you off your spot :D

Good luck everybody1 it will be interesting to see the results of this.

tigereye
May 28th, 2011, 03:49 PM
Okay, so I sprayed my hair with the tea spray, and worked into my scalp a little, with the intention of going to bed... Then I sat down and watched a movie, so that plan didn't work out. Anyway, my hair dries quite quickly on top, so it's just a little damp on the hair above my head, but I have to say, I'm impressed. It's shiiiiiiinnnnnny. And nice shiny, not greasy shiny.
Tomorrow was meant to be wash day, and my hair was beginning to get a little greasy at the roots earlier (or at least as much as dry hair can), but after the spray, they look and feel almost freshly washed.
Although it hasn't completely soothed my scalp, it has a little, and i'm hoping that with repeated applications, this will soothe it down nicely.
If I get increased growth, then that would just be the icing on the cake for me. My hair normally grows 1/2" per month, so I'll be keeping an eye and taking pictures to see if I get any difference.
Like I said, though my hair isn't dry yet, only at the top, so I can't comment on softness or anything. I'll report back any more findings in the morning...

TheBluffs
May 28th, 2011, 04:14 PM
Okay, I think we might hav it! :D Can I join if I drink it instad, because I've heard it increases hair growth with an oral intake.

jojo
May 28th, 2011, 04:22 PM
Okay, so I sprayed my hair with the tea spray, and worked into my scalp a little, with the intention of going to bed... Then I sat down and watched a movie, so that plan didn't work out. Anyway, my hair dries quite quickly on top, so it's just a little damp on the hair above my head, but I have to say, I'm impressed. It's shiiiiiiinnnnnny. And nice shiny, not greasy shiny.
Tomorrow was meant to be wash day, and my hair was beginning to get a little greasy at the roots earlier (or at least as much as dry hair can), but after the spray, they look and feel almost freshly washed.
Although it hasn't completely soothed my scalp, it has a little, and i'm hoping that with repeated applications, this will soothe it down nicely.
If I get increased growth, then that would just be the icing on the cake for me. My hair normally grows 1/2" per month, so I'll be keeping an eye and taking pictures to see if I get any difference.
Like I said, though my hair isn't dry yet, only at the top, so I can't comment on softness or anything. I'll report back any more findings in the morning...

the shine is lovely and I think it will help with stretching washes. I put my spray in the fridge and it feels really lovely on my scalp. Ive just done my 3rd applications, so far so good!

jojo
May 28th, 2011, 04:23 PM
Okay, I think we might hav it! :D Can I join if I drink it instad, because I've heard it increases hair growth with an oral intake.

Yes of course you can I drink and apply it! please make sure to post any results so we can compare the differences between those applying only!:)

Guenhwyvar
May 29th, 2011, 06:33 AM
I cant remember if I have posted here already xD. I drink a lot and leave it on my hair a for a bit between shampooing and conditioning. It does make my hair lovely and soft. I wish I had a spray bottle lying around...

kyandii
May 29th, 2011, 07:09 AM
My Internets being strange because I thought I'd already posted this.

I got my teabags! The tea tastes pretty good and I don't even like tea.
Going to give this a go. How strong is everyone making it?

cheetahfast
May 29th, 2011, 07:44 PM
I've been spraying a bit on daily and decided to try a tea rinse the other day it makes my hair feel so lovely. I've also been drinking it too.

christine1989
May 29th, 2011, 07:51 PM
I loves me a hair experiment! :) I'm in on this one as soon as I get some rooibos tea at the grocery store. Hopefully this will happen tomorrow despite being insanely busy. My only question for those who have tried this is does it make your hair oily or greasy looking?

cheetahfast
May 29th, 2011, 08:20 PM
I loves me a hair experiment! :) I'm in on this one as soon as I get some rooibos tea at the grocery store. Hopefully this will happen tomorrow despite being insanely busy. My only question for those who have tried this is does it make your hair oily or greasy looking?

For me it doesn't make it greasy or oily looking at all, just nice, soft, and healthy looking.

Debra83
May 30th, 2011, 03:18 AM
Yay!!! Bought some today....have had 3 cups so far and counting...have to go to bed soon though as it is 2:16 am here and I have to work tomorrow morning!!!! But, I make a pot of tea with two tetley bags, and 1 rooibos bag!!! It works for me!! Hopefully, my hair will be down to my ankles in the morning!!!! (haven't sprayed it topically yet).

pixiestar
May 30th, 2011, 03:23 AM
Can I join;) I've been drinking it for a couple of weeks now, I think it is definitely helping growth:D I've not done a scalp application though:)

krissykins
May 30th, 2011, 11:14 AM
I bought some of this tea after I read about it on the archived forums. I will be mixing this with the chamomile tea I've been using on my hair soon. Right now, I am experimenting with essential oils mixed with castor oil.

Avital88
May 30th, 2011, 12:47 PM
I would love to join but with summer around the corner and a lot of sunshine i think for me its better to start this experiment in fall or winter.. Summer spurt,i'm expecting you soon!

strangemeow
May 30th, 2011, 03:22 PM
where are you guys finding it? i looked at walmart today and all they had was the tazo one thats condensed and you have to add milk, i would like to find just regular tea, im a huge tea drinker and that way i can just mix it with another of my teas if i dont like the taste

tigereye
May 30th, 2011, 04:37 PM
I'm absolutely loving this experiment!:D
It's my third day of rooibos being applied topically (I don't really drink tea or coffee :p ). I LOVE the smell when I spray on the tea. It did help spread out my washings. Wash day was 2 days ago, and it still felt clean this morning, but I kind of missed washing my hair, and I still hadn't measured properly for a starting point to the growth part of experiment :rolleyes: . I prefer to measure wet hair, because of the varying amounts of braid waves my hair holds when dry, so I decided to wash it today(by the way, after todays wash, when wet my hair is just under 3 inches away from BCL). I washed it as normal,(diluted shampoo and normal cone-y conditioner) but I replaced my usual ACV rinse with a rooibos tea, and not only does my hair look gorgeous, as far as my scalp is concerned THE ITCHIES HAVE GONE!!! :joy: Completely! :joy: And my hair smells heavenly. I love you jojo for bringing up this experiment :D

@strangemeow: We don't have walmart over here where I live, but I believe some of our supermarkets are owned by Walmart :confused: . Anyway, If you go to the tea & coffee isle (I know, i'm stating the obvious...:rolleyes:). I found mine in the same kind of area as the green-teas, and other speciality teas. You could look for either rooibos tea, or redbush tea, because they're both the same. Tetley does redbush tea, which is a red-coloured pack with the big tetley logo on it. Most of the supermarkets over here do their own redbush tea, because it's beginning to become rather popular over here, but I bought the tetley because it was on sale and turned out cheaper than the supermarket brand. I know it can be difficult to find. I spent ages looking for it, and there was no-one around to ask, but I eventually found a shelf behind one of those massive carts of stuff that shop assistants have full of products for them to stack on the shelves. It was at the very bottom too, so I almost missed it.:o Anyway, it can be quite hard to find, and a lot of people don't know what you mean by rooibos, so just ask if they have any Redbush tea, and someone will hopefully know where to find it.

rengeko
May 30th, 2011, 05:16 PM
i use rooibos in my henna mix-don't know if it makes any diff, but the color is great.

jojo
May 31st, 2011, 12:13 AM
My Internets being strange because I thought I'd already posted this.

I got my teabags! The tea tastes pretty good and I don't even like tea.
Going to give this a go. How strong is everyone making it?

I put 2 teabags and boiling water in a mug, overnight and then pour into my spray bottle.

jojo
May 31st, 2011, 12:18 AM
I'm absolutely loving this experiment!:D
It's my third day of rooibos being applied topically (I don't really drink tea or coffee :p ). I LOVE the smell when I spray on the tea. It did help spread out my washings. Wash day was 2 days ago, and it still felt clean this morning, but I kind of missed washing my hair, and I still hadn't measured properly for a starting point to the growth part of experiment :rolleyes: . I prefer to measure wet hair, because of the varying amounts of braid waves my hair holds when dry, so I decided to wash it today(by the way, after todays wash, when wet my hair is just under 3 inches away from BCL). I washed it as normal,(diluted shampoo and normal cone-y conditioner) but I replaced my usual ACV rinse with a rooibos tea, and not only does my hair look gorgeous, as far as my scalp is concerned THE ITCHIES HAVE GONE!!! Completely! : And my hair smells heavenly. I love you jojo for bringing up this experiment :D

@strangemeow: We don't have walmart over here where I live, but I believe some of our supermarkets are owned by Walmart :confused: . Anyway, If you go to the tea & coffee isle (I know, i'm stating the obvious...:rolleyes:). I found mine in the same kind of area as the green-teas, and other speciality teas. You could look for either rooibos tea, or redbush tea, because they're both the same. Tetley does redbush tea, which is a red-coloured pack with the big tetley logo on it. Most of the supermarkets over here do their own redbush tea, because it's beginning to become rather popular over here, but I bought the tetley because it was on sale and turned out cheaper than the supermarket brand. I know it can be difficult to find. I spent ages looking for it, and there was no-one around to ask, but I eventually found a shelf behind one of those massive carts of stuff that shop assistants have full of products for them to stack on the shelves. It was at the very bottom too, so I almost missed it.:o Anyway, it can be quite hard to find, and a lot of people don't know what you mean by rooibos, so just ask if they have any Redbush tea, and someone will hopefully know where to find it.

I am experiencing the same, no itching, shine and it tastes blooming good too! and it certainly helps with stretching washes. Ive done 4 now this is a keeper even if I dont get extra growth but if I do I will be :joy::joy:

theodora
May 31st, 2011, 05:17 AM
My fiance and I have done 2 scalp applications. I thought it would be a better experiment with two guinea pigs rather than one. (he was quite reluctant to begin with, and a bit paranoid about it staining our pillows, but it really doesn't)
Plus I also drink the tea every day whereas he only drinks it very occasionally.

I agree on the fact it makes hair seem fresher, allowing to stretch washes (or in my case, to not use dry shampoo as often), and makes hair super duper shiny. I'm waiting for a whole week to do a measuring to see if there has been any growth. The only problem is we're going camping for a couple days at the end of this week so I'm not sure I'll be able to do an application then. Oh well. I'm sure 2 days won't ruin the experiment!

EmiliaF
May 31st, 2011, 12:06 PM
I have started this 6 days ago and think that I've finally found something that ends my shedding period... which started in January. I *think* my shedding has gone down a lot. In the past months I always lost a lot of hairs in the shower, even if I brushed my hair before, and then again in the morning when I un-did/re-did my braid. Of course I can't say for sure that it is because of the tea, but -just in case- I have added a tea rinse to my wash routine in addition to the leave-in-tea :D

S-mansMommy
May 31st, 2011, 01:35 PM
What a great excuse to drink more rooibos tea! I'm up for the experiment. I'm sure I won't drink it every day but the scalp application sounds nice. I'll post my results!

strangemeow
May 31st, 2011, 03:40 PM
thanks tigereye, i completely spaced it goes by redbush too, but im fairly certain i didnt see that one either. im going to a different store next time cuz i know they have a much larger selection of teas.

jojo
June 1st, 2011, 04:38 AM
How is everybody doing? Well one thing for sure with me, I can now go 4 days between washes; amazing! was only managing 1 before. Hair is shedding nothing though, not that I shed that much before but zilch. Is this normal?

Ive also lost 3lbs in 5 days. I have been cutting down but weightloss is so difficult for me due to my thyroid problems, but somehow im loosing it:confused: rooibo i :heartbeat you! you :rockerdud

cheetahfast
June 1st, 2011, 06:48 AM
I've been drinking alot and not only spraying it. My nails are growing so fast, but I'm not sure about my hair. I hope its growing too.

NaiadOreiad
June 1st, 2011, 06:52 AM
nothing makes my hair more shiny and gorgeous than a rooibos rinse!

jojo
June 1st, 2011, 03:16 PM
I've been drinking alot and not only spraying it. My nails are growing so fast, but I'm not sure about my hair. I hope its growing too.
me too my nails are also a lot harder!

nothing makes my hair more shiny and gorgeous than a rooibos rinse!
there you are, the person who got me addicted to rooibo! a thousand thanks for telling us about your experience with rooibo, its definatelly doing something. any further progress?

owlathena
June 1st, 2011, 03:48 PM
*goes to turn on tea kettle*

jojo
June 1st, 2011, 05:05 PM
^^ aww pop a bag in for me. I will be there in a tic! *sups pint pot of wonder tea!*

Ravenwind
June 1st, 2011, 05:08 PM
I'm new to all of this. :) What will the rooibo tea do? Or what is the goal?

Asequui
June 1st, 2011, 10:22 PM
*shrug*
Why not? I've been drinking quite a bit of rooibos tea lately, just started on Kombucha green tea (Yogi Tea has a fantastic tasting variety), and the occasional Kava tea for anxiety.

Lol, with all that tea, I should have plenty of tea bags to go around :p

My hair is currently about BSL so we'll see where it's at in a few weeks. Heck, I'd settle for some more strength and shine!

Lee's Girl
June 2nd, 2011, 12:38 AM
So, I was drinking it (at least 2 cups daily) and had set aside a couple of the bags to use as a rinse after I made my tea. Went back to get them, they were nowhere to be found. After about 10 minutes of searching, found out from df that he had tossed them out when he cleaned the kitchen. I couldn't yell, since I definitely want him to clean up again. Then life got super crazy for a few. It's calming down again, so I'll be trying again - here's hoping!

Rini
June 2nd, 2011, 03:12 AM
Alrighty, I have read through the whole thread and I think that this does sound very interesting and I'm keen to give it a go....BUT...I have 2 questions:

I did see that nobody has noticed a colour change on lighter hair, but my hair is WHITE in places and I want it to stay that way. Has anybody tried this on white hair??
when using it as a rinse after washing, do you leave it in (ie it's the last thing to go through your hair)? Do you use the tea when it's cold for this purpose?

Thread subscribed :D

jojo
June 2nd, 2011, 03:14 AM
I'm new to all of this. :) What will the rooibo tea do? Or what is the goal?
its explained in the fist post, theres a link also to what we are hoping to re-create! basically though it spraying rooibo tea to scalp daily as previous tests showed positive results in hair growth. Have a read and jump on the wagon!

*shrug*
Why not? I've been drinking quite a bit of rooibos tea lately, just started on Kombucha green tea (Yogi Tea has a fantastic tasting variety), and the occasional Kava tea for anxiety.

Lol, with all that tea, I should have plenty of tea bags to go around :p

My hair is currently about BSL so we'll see where it's at in a few weeks. Heck, I'd settle for some more strength and shine! good luck, its really good for shine, ive been putting a little on my ends; so soft!

So, I was drinking it (at least 2 cups daily) and had set aside a couple of the bags to use as a rinse after I made my tea. Went back to get them, they were nowhere to be found. After about 10 minutes of searching, found out from df that he had tossed them out when he cleaned the kitchen. I couldn't yell, since I definitely want him to clean up again. Then life got super crazy for a few. It's calming down again, so I'll be trying again - here's hoping!
hop along the rooibo train! its very good for you in all aspects, good luck

jojo
June 2nd, 2011, 03:20 AM
Alrighty, I have read through the whole thread and I think that this does sound very interesting and I'm keen to give it a go....BUT...I have 2 questions:

I did see that nobody has noticed a colour change on lighter hair, but my hair is WHITE in places and I want it to stay that way. Has anybody tried this on white hair??
when using it as a rinse after washing, do you leave it in (ie it's the last thing to go through your hair)? Do you use the tea when it's cold for this purpose?

Thread subscribed :D

my temple hair is very blonde and no changes as yet. you could always collect some shed hair and try it on that for a week and see. but from other threads there where no reports of hair colour change and id imagine if there was it would more likely than not wash out. I use quite a strong mixture with 2 teabags left
brewing overnight, you could try 1 teabag brewed for say an hour or so.

I put my tea in a spray bottle and leave it in the fridge. To apply I put my hair in a high pony, life the pony and spray, then massage it in. It makes your head feel like its sweaty at first, but its very cooling and dries quickly leaving a high shine. I can now stretch washes from 1 day to 4 which for me is good! I leave it in until my next wash.

kyandii
June 2nd, 2011, 03:24 AM

when using it as a rinse after washing, do you leave it in (ie it's the last thing to go through your hair)? Do you use the tea when it's cold for this purpose?Thread subscribed :D

I have bleached blonde hair, I only use it for a rinse at the moment and have noticed no colour change.

jojo
June 2nd, 2011, 04:19 AM
thank you kyandii for sharing that. I know a few people have been worried about it colouring, thats excellent news.

Rini
June 2nd, 2011, 04:20 AM
OK..thanks. I have been googling and searching the archives here and found conflicting stories about whether it stains. I reckon I'll just try it anyway and if it stains then it will wash out like other tea stains (catnip, chamomile etc).

I'm excited about the reports of shiny hair!!

jojo
June 2nd, 2011, 04:28 AM
:rockerdud yay! good luck Rini, i am sure you will like the results and the shine is lovely. Ive just put my hair up and sprayed abit on my head pubes:o they are now lay flat, woo hoo! yet another use!:joy:

NaiadOreiad
June 4th, 2011, 01:06 AM
I had a lull during the second half of may due to an excercise and rooibos shortage, but I am kickstarting June on a good track. i noticed that rooibos makes my hair alot softer as well and i am coming up on BSL pretty quickly, hopefully I will be there by Mid July!

cheetahfast
June 4th, 2011, 11:07 AM
I did another rinse earlier with the rooibos, somehow it tames my frizz. Also, I noticed that me eyelashes have gotten very long, which I think is from drinking the tea.

EmiliaF
June 4th, 2011, 01:12 PM
My shedding is still virtually non-existent. After 5 months of ridiculous shedding and no end in sight it's suddenly gone way down after only 1 week of rooibos spray. I am beyond impressed! :joy:

~BoHemiAngel~
June 4th, 2011, 02:19 PM
Man, this is way better than applying Monistat!! :cheer:

jojo
June 5th, 2011, 05:29 PM
Still no shed whatsoever, no increase on splits, no colour change but soft high shine hair! I really love the taste of this stuff its so addictive! Would be lovely if we got the same results as monistat!

jojo
June 5th, 2011, 05:30 PM
I did another rinse earlier with the rooibos, somehow it tames my frizz. Also, I noticed that me eyelashes have gotten very long, which I think is from drinking the tea.

Its brilliant on frizz and those annoying baby hairs which stick up when your hairs in an updo! great news on the eyelashes too!

Debra83
June 6th, 2011, 02:02 AM
I've been drinking 2 pots of tea (2 orange pekoe bags and 1 rooisbos bag per pot) since the end of May and today I HAD to henna. My roots were REALLY showing, enough that my fiance commented!!!

I'm documenting the date of this henna in this thread to see how long until the next one!

theodora
June 6th, 2011, 03:20 AM
Back from my camping trip where I couldn't do my redbush spray for a few days (hope it doesn't ruin my experiment, but the peak district was gorgeous, well worth it).

I have noticed a LOT of short regrowth particularly on my hair line. It is actually nuts. Showed it to my fiance and he says it can't be regrowth and it has to be hair that has been broken/damaged. However I'm fairly sure it isn't - by now I know my hair enough to see the difference.

Anyone else experiencing this? It actually looks silly when I put my hair up and try to smooth the crazy regrowth on my forehead, which sticks out like nobody's business.

pelicano
June 6th, 2011, 06:35 AM
I've only done two rinses, but I found that it is just too difficult to remove from the bath, and also it dripped all over my clothes and stained them, as I drip dried my hair.

I think I'll stick to drinking it. Not sure how much you have to drink a day to get an effect... :confused:

jojo
June 6th, 2011, 11:10 AM
Back from my camping trip where I couldn't do my redbush spray for a few days (hope it doesn't ruin my experiment, but the peak district was gorgeous, well worth it).

I have noticed a LOT of short regrowth particularly on my hair line. It is actually nuts. Showed it to my fiance and he says it can't be regrowth and it has to be hair that has been broken/damaged. However I'm fairly sure it isn't - by now I know my hair enough to see the difference.

Anyone else experiencing this? It actually looks silly when I put my hair up and try to smooth the crazy regrowth on my forehead, which sticks out like nobody's business.

Ive got re-growth on my crown area dunno as yet if its due to the tea but im due to measure on the 10th so we will see.

jojo
June 6th, 2011, 11:12 AM
I've only done two rinses, but I found that it is just too difficult to remove from the bath, and also it dripped all over my clothes and stained them, as I drip dried my hair.

I think I'll stick to drinking it. Not sure how much you have to drink a day to get an effect... :confused:

I just spray it on my scalp and let it dry in, it shouldnt be staining your bath as it has very minimal Tannins present unlike normal tea. Which brand are you using?

McFearless
June 6th, 2011, 11:31 AM
I don't even have to be asked. I'll do anything in the name of hair growth. :p I like that this tea is much cheaper than monistat. Once I'm finished my tube I will definately try this experiment. I don't have any expectations, but I think just doing something in the name of growth keeps me motivated.

jojo
June 6th, 2011, 11:55 AM
^^^ its worth it for the shine and softness and if we get faster growth all the better! good luck x

pelicano
June 6th, 2011, 02:47 PM
I just spray it on my scalp and let it dry in, it shouldnt be staining your bath as it has very minimal Tannins present unlike normal tea. Which brand are you using?

Sainsburys, but all the rooibos teas I've ever had have been dark orange. I'm still finding orange marks over the tiles in my bathroom that I have missed. It's not so much staining the bathroom as making a right mess!

JadeTigress
June 6th, 2011, 04:13 PM
I'm definitely going to try this. I'm trying castor oil, too, so I'll just spray this on whenever I don't have any oil on my head. Which is most of the time. :p

Anybody tried Republic of Tea's Double Red Rooibos? That's what my local health food co-op has. I don't know why it wouldn't work, but I wanted to see if anyone has any opinions on it before I buy.

sugarpixie10988
June 6th, 2011, 05:35 PM
Thanks for directing me to this thread, Jojo! I found a spray bottle earlier today and brewed some rooibo tea. The brand I'm using is called Numi. I only let it steep for an hour and a half, because I'm really impatient :p.

The main problem I have with stretching washes is my hair seems to become dry and tangly. Last time I washed it was on Friday, so this morning it was feeling super icky. I misted my hair with the rooibo, it's now so soft! It also has very few tangles and it's shiny!

It's so exciting that this can help speed up hair growth, plus make your hair feel amazing! I'll join in on this experiment for sure. I don't measure my hair, but I do take monthly pictures. Rooibo tea is also super healthy and yummy! :cheese:

cubedcoley
June 6th, 2011, 07:43 PM
Hmmm....*making mental note to buy some rooibos tea with next grocery store run*. Hat tip to jojo :flowers:

jojo
June 7th, 2011, 07:37 AM
Sainsburys, but all the rooibos teas I've ever had have been dark orange. I'm still finding orange marks over the tiles in my bathroom that I have missed. It's not so much staining the bathroom as making a right mess!

Rooibo is known for containing less tannin levels, it should rinse off. The spray option may be better for you.

Heres a link (I know wikapedia but its lots of info) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rooibos

jojo
June 7th, 2011, 07:41 AM
I'm definitely going to try this. I'm trying castor oil, too, so I'll just spray this on whenever I don't have any oil on my head. Which is most of the time. :p

Anybody tried Republic of Tea's Double Red Rooibos? That's what my local health food co-op has. I don't know why it wouldn't work, but I wanted to see if anyone has any opinions on it before I buy.
I got this one last week, if it is rooibo your fine!

Thanks for directing me to this thread, Jojo! I found a spray bottle earlier today and brewed some rooibo tea. The brand I'm using is called Numi. I only let it steep for an hour and a half, because I'm really impatient :p.

The main problem I have with stretching washes is my hair seems to become dry and tangly. Last time I washed it was on Friday, so this morning it was feeling super icky. I misted my hair with the rooibo, it's now so soft! It also has very few tangles and it's shiny!

It's so exciting that this can help speed up hair growth, plus make your hair feel amazing! I'll join in on this experiment for sure. I don't measure my hair, but I do take monthly pictures. Rooibo tea is also super healthy and yummy! :cheese: you will definitely be able to stretch washes with it, myself and others have found this a huge plus! and if we get growth too...woo hoo!:cheese:

Hmmm....*making mental note to buy some rooibos tea with next grocery store run*. Hat tip to jojo :flowers:

well thank you:cool: and good luck!

kyandii
June 7th, 2011, 07:57 AM
I'm not 100% sure if its just general growth or rooibos influenced growth, going to wait until the end of the month measurements but I thought I'd let you all know.

I got my hair bleached on 27th may and already have quite substantial roots
http://img709.imageshack.us/img709/1766/dsc00340t.jpg

:cheese:

theodora
June 7th, 2011, 08:54 AM
Amazing growth! Impressive stuff. I'm sure that's the first time you're happy to see dark roots popping out so quickly :D.

I used to loathe dark roots with a passion and would always harrass my fellow blond friends to get their roots done, and now that I've stopped lightening (both chemical and natural, as for a while I was just using things like chamomile, lemon and honey), I have horrible roots.

Debra83
June 7th, 2011, 08:59 AM
I sprayed it topically for the first time today. (just documenting date).

cinemax
June 7th, 2011, 11:20 AM
I will be joining in this experiment too. I have my tea brewing right now. I normally grow 1/2 inch per month. I'm going to use it as a scalp treatment and drink it. I'm very inspired by all the positive posts.

CastaDiva
June 7th, 2011, 11:35 AM
I`m usually not a tea drinker but I`ve been drinking rooibos tea for almost two weeks now. The tea tastes ok so I`m gonna continue drinking it for a while. Today I did my first rooibos tea rinse, and as "promised" it made my hair soft and shiny:)

kyandii
June 7th, 2011, 11:57 AM
Amazing growth! Impressive stuff. I'm sure that's the first time you're happy to see dark roots popping out so quickly :D.
haha yes! At first I was like oh darn! because it's only been 12 days since I got my roots done. But I think theres something going on as my hair grows rather slow normally, Last year I went from October to the end of February without really needing my roots doing.

If it's sunny tomorrow going to have to try some lemon in the sun, try make them a bit less noticeable!

jojo
June 7th, 2011, 01:10 PM
I'm not 100% sure if its just general growth or rooibos influenced growth, going to wait until the end of the month measurements but I thought I'd let you all know.

I got my hair bleached on 27th may and already have quite substantial roots
http://img709.imageshack.us/img709/1766/dsc00340t.jpg

:cheese:

Our first result and wow what a result looking positive! Also I note no orange/red staining to your blonde bits which I am sure will reassure people with lighter hair who where worried about this!

EmiliaF
June 7th, 2011, 03:21 PM
Regarding the staining of blonde hair: I have done the spraying since May 26 and started doing tea rinses after every wash sometime last week. I have lots of very very blonde baby hairs along my hairline and not one of them has gotten darker.
I also get the spots in the bathtub after the tea rinse but they're very easy to remove. Nothing lasting :D

jojo
June 7th, 2011, 03:33 PM
^^ does the darkening wash out or are you finding it is sticking?

just another link which speaks about rooibo same as other links but with some additional information http://www.cosmetochem.ch/upload/docs/publications/rooibos.pdf

xoerincolleen
June 7th, 2011, 06:35 PM
I just bought a box...I've always gotten good growth but hopefully this will help me get a little extra!

battles
June 7th, 2011, 06:45 PM
I may join in on this, I'll have to look for some next time I head for the grocery store.

bondeandeebowl
June 7th, 2011, 08:18 PM
I'm joining! Just measured wet at slightly passed 19.5. I do my monthly measuring on the 14th, which is in one week so I will check back in then!

I am drinking it and rinsing with it. I started last night.....my hair looked unbelievably healthy today! I just hope it really helps the length. I am so tired of being in no man's land.

khan
June 7th, 2011, 08:30 PM
just another link which speaks about rooibo same as other links but with some additional information http://www.cosmetochem.ch/upload/docs/publications/rooibos.pdf[/quote]

Good article. Count me in. I'm interested in trying it for the hair growth, the sleep qualities and the skin benefits.
I couldn't find it at wallyworld last week, I'll try another grocery. Wish me luck!
My hair has grown 5" in 2 years. So I'm looking forward to this experiment. It's finally tailbone, but boy I could use a trim. :rolleyes:

pixiestar
June 8th, 2011, 12:43 AM
just another link which speaks about rooibo same as other links but with some additional information http://www.cosmetochem.ch/upload/docs/publications/rooibos.pdf

Good article. Count me in. I'm interested in trying it for the hair growth, the sleep qualities and the skin benefits.
I couldn't find it at wallyworld last week, I'll try another grocery. Wish me luck!
My hair has grown 5" in 2 years. So I'm looking forward to this experiment. It's finally tailbone, but boy I could use a trim. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Great info khan:) I think I will start putting on my scalp as well. I have definitely noticed more growth, I've been drinking it for a few weeks now:D

NaiadOreiad
June 8th, 2011, 01:00 AM
I just wanted to give thanks again to our Earth for providing us with such an amazing plant. It helps my sleep and I can't stand caffeine, it tastes fantastic and helps my hair and overall health. Rooibos I LOOOOVE YOOOOU!

pelicano
June 8th, 2011, 03:45 AM
I've decided to give the rooibos a rest, as apparently it's a phytoestrogen (along with many other things), which I'm currently trying to reduce right down (I have endometriosis and fibroid issues).

jojo
June 8th, 2011, 10:23 AM
I just wanted to give thanks again to our Earth for providing us with such an amazing plant. It helps my sleep and I can't stand caffeine, it tastes fantastic and helps my hair and overall health. Rooibos I LOOOOVE YOOOOU!

and thank you for changing my hair woo hoo! Rooibo anonymous R us!:cheese:

cubedcoley
June 8th, 2011, 10:42 AM
So, I made up a cup and it definitely does NOT compare in taste with my Tazo Zen Green tea (spearmint, hmmm my favorite). Plus, I am about 25 weeks pregnant and don't want to introduce an estrogen like substance to the mix!! Thus, my contribution will be purely topical. My first topical application is brewing and I have a special spray bottle just for the rooibos tea. ah, the wonders of Wal-mart where I got all my new stuff! I even saw a woman in a spaghetti strap tank top sporting a buzz cut as I left. The REALLY do have EVERYthing there, hee hee :cheese:

cinemax
June 9th, 2011, 05:49 PM
I've been spraying this on my scalp in the morning and at night before bed. My hair is so soft and I alread notice less shedding. I've been drinking it but after reading that it's a phytoestrogen, I'm going to stop because I am estrogen dominant already. I'll continue with the spray. I can't tell you how excited I am about the results I've gotten already. My hair has looked really good the last two days and that's really something for me. I sent my son a text and told him I was having a cute hair day!!! He sent me back a text saying he was having one too!! (he shaves his head) It's been a heck of a long time since I had a cute hair day!!!!!!!
Thank you to all of you for the loads of information that you share with me and hundreds of others. I never would have guessed that tea could do this for my hair.
Both of my boys age 31 and 28 are having hair thinning issues. Do any of you know if it's safe for males to use topically? Thanks

tigereye
June 11th, 2011, 02:29 PM
Hi guys. A little update is due, I think. ;) Day 15 for me. As I'm going for 90 days at least (and judging by the results so far is likely to end up being a permanent hair care routine addition:p), I'm 1/6th of my way through. Just to let people know, I was doing the topical-only treatment, because I don't drink tea.
I measured today, as I was getting a little down in the dumps about how my hair is taking forever to reach BCL. And what I found has made me feel so happy... 1/2" growth! Thats a whole normal growth month in half the time.YAY! :bounce:
only 2 1/2" to go til BCL when dry. That means that if my hair continues at this rate, I could be there by the end of the experiment, and I could be at my goal of classic by this time next year! *jumps for joy*

Anyway, I'm off to go shower to clarify out some olive oil residue and do a rooibos rinse just as an excuse to measure my hair wet...:D

kyandii
June 11th, 2011, 02:42 PM
Hi guys. A little update is due, I think. ;) Day 15 for me. As I'm going for 90 days at least (and judging by the results so far is likely to end up being a permanent hair care routine addition:p), I'm 1/6th of my way through. Just to let people know, I was doing the topical-only treatment, because I don't drink tea.
I measured today, as I was getting a little down in the dumps about how my hair is taking forever to reach BCL. And what I found has made me feel so happy... 1/2" growth! Thats a whole normal growth month in half the time.YAY! :bounce:
only 2 1/2" to go til BCL when dry. That means that if my hair continues at this rate, I could be there by the end of the experiment, and I could be at my goal of classic by this time next year! *jumps for joy*

Anyway, I'm off to go shower to clarify out some olive oil residue and do a rooibos rinse just as an excuse to measure my hair wet...:D

Oh wow! That's amazing!

Joliebaby
June 11th, 2011, 03:07 PM
I'm estrogen deficient and have actually thought that I should try to add more phytoestrogens in my diet.. Rooibos it is :)

EmiliaF
June 12th, 2011, 06:39 AM
Just want to let everyone know that this rooibos spray has miraculously transformed my hair. I went one week without washing (just water washing) until I used baking soda followed by an ACV rinse yesterday. I never thought I'd be able to do this, because I've always had to wash daily. I did however change my routine a bit over the last months (CO for four months, then oil shampoo, now BS/ACV) so the transition was not as drastic, but I think it wouldn't have been possibly without the rooibos.

Now, my only question about this: Other people have also reported being able to go longer between washes because of the rooibos. That might mean that the tea is drying somewhat. But the hair does get softer.....?!
I don't think it is drying my hair out, but what is then causing this?
Any ideas?

krissykins
June 12th, 2011, 06:48 AM
EmiliaF, I don't think that the spray is drying, because that would probably cause hair to become more oily to overcompensate. That's my theory anyway :) it could be that the spray is providing something that conditions the hair, so the scalp does not need to produce as much oil.

kyandii
June 12th, 2011, 12:15 PM
I'm doing a honey bleach tonight because my roots are getting redonkulous, I blame Rooibos tea ;)

Fairlight63
June 12th, 2011, 12:51 PM
I am joining in also. I found some TAZO brand African Red Bush tea at the grocery store. I have drank about 4 cups and sprayed my hair 2 times with it.
I think that if I drink it at night before bed that it helps me sleep better. I think that it is also helping with join pain from arthritis, so that is good. Hope that it helps my hair. I sprayed it on last night after washing my hair & it seems to make it softer & less frizz & not as tangily.
Have to wait & see about growth.

jojo
June 12th, 2011, 05:43 PM
I have just measured in 19 days ive gone from 30.1" to 30.7" thats pretty good going for someone who only normally gets 1/4" a month!

jojo
June 12th, 2011, 05:48 PM
I've been spraying this on my scalp in the morning and at night before bed. My hair is so soft and I alread notice less shedding. I've been drinking it but after reading that it's a phytoestrogen, I'm going to stop because I am estrogen dominant already. I'll continue with the spray. I can't tell you how excited I am about the results I've gotten already. My hair has looked really good the last two days and that's really something for me. I sent my son a text and told him I was having a cute hair day!!! He sent me back a text saying he was having one too!! (he shaves his head) It's been a heck of a long time since I had a cute hair day!!!!!!!
Thank you to all of you for the loads of information that you share with me and hundreds of others. I never would have guessed that tea could do this for my hair.
Both of my boys age 31 and 28 are having hair thinning issues. Do any of you know if it's safe for males to use topically? Thanks

i see no reason why this wouldnt work on males.......you will be getting shares in rooibo at this rate! and its lovely when we get good hair days!:)

wahmof9
June 12th, 2011, 08:29 PM
I am in. I am already drinking it but will also apply it.

tinti
June 12th, 2011, 08:34 PM
Hey guys! I'm finally joining you! Tomorrow is day 1 for me, I have a mug with Rooibos Orange tea (hope that's just as good) staning on my table, and I'm going to let it soak up in there untill I wake up tomorrow when I plan to fill my spray bottle (that is incredibly small for this but oh well). Going to both drink and spray my scalp. Wish me lotsa growth!

Mesmerise
June 12th, 2011, 09:54 PM
I think I will start doing rooibos a bit more seriously too! I have been drinking it...and once I did a rinse with it... but I am going to try the spray bottle thing. I'll brew up a strong cup and put it in my spray bottle and try it tonight before bed!

I'm also going to try to drink at least two cups a day. Let's see if I get more hair growth!

pixiestar
June 12th, 2011, 11:15 PM
I started spraying friday. I've already noticed that I've got more growth in the last 6 weeks than normal for me. Usually I get about 1/4 of an inch a month and i've already had an inch of growth in 6 weeks, which must be from drinking rooibos tea:D I can't wait to see what growth I get this month:D

Debra83
June 13th, 2011, 12:19 AM
Rats, ran out of tea...will have to try to remember to get some more!!! I noticed an increase in growth since starting this too, I HAD to henna earlier....but I want to give it until the end of July just to make sure it is not a little spring growth spurt.

pixiestar
June 13th, 2011, 12:31 AM
Rats, ran out of tea...will have to try to remember to get some more!!! I noticed an increase in growth since starting this too, I HAD to henna earlier....but I want to give it until the end of July just to make sure it is not a little spring growth spurt.

lol, I know what you mean. I did a henna gloss a week before I measured and I already have roots:D

theodora
June 13th, 2011, 08:53 AM
I was coming here to report on how my growth has increased this past month with 2 inches as opposed to the usual 1 to 1 1/2, even if I've already posted about this somewhere else I thought I'd log it in for the purpose of this thread monitoring our results so far.
But then I read one of the posts saying it is a phytoestrogen and I am now scared. I'm not sure why but I have this thing where I am scared of hormones and what they can do (mostly because of what the pill did to me when I took it from 17 to 24). So even though it is a natural source of estrogen I am worried somehow. Although it might explain why my period wasn't as horrible this month, maybe it helps.

Does anyone know more about phytoestrogen? I don't really want to endanger my health just for the sake of hair growth (even if it is really amazing growth).

pelicano
June 13th, 2011, 09:31 AM
Phytoestrogens seem to help some people and not others. Plus they aren't all equal. For me, they seem to really mess with my hormones, so I'm trying to cut out as many as possible. My view is just be aware and don't drink the stuff to excess.

jojo
June 13th, 2011, 11:01 AM
well done to everybody for positive results and welcome aboard all the other lab rats :D.

Rocket22
June 13th, 2011, 12:02 PM
Well after reading the entire thread I'm off to store to find this tea!!! :)

NJoy
June 13th, 2011, 01:56 PM
I was out at Whole Foods and ran across this "Get Growing Tea"
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v377/tonia1c/tea.jpg

"Herb Tea for Hair/Nails/Bones - No bones about it: strength is beautiful. From lustrous locks to oh-so-gorgeous nails, growth and strength come from what you eat - and drink. So when it's tea time, consider this caffeine-free herbal blend, based on health promoting organic rooibos.

A luscious little beauty treatment - the kind that works from the inside out. This natural blend with horsetail, oatstraw, nettles and silica, delivers minerals for body and bones we don't always get in our diets*.

Add the assertive flavors of Guatemalan black lemon and peppermint, and we're talking about one very attractive brew. Sip it and look forward to more good hair days."

Ingredients

Organic Rooibos (leaf), Peppermint (leaf), Horsetail (aerial parts), Stinging Nettle (aerial parts), Oat straw. Other Ingredients: Black Limon

Thought it was interesting, especially since I'd been peeking in on this thread. I didn't get it. Just wanted to share.

tinti
June 13th, 2011, 02:03 PM
Ok, so today I've sprayed my hair with rooibos tea, once when i woke up and one just now, and drinking 2 cups (might take one more before bed :) this stuff is ADDICTIVE! And I can stand drinking a strong brewed cup!). My hair feels super soft and it looks so shiiiiiny! :D Even if it didn't give me growth it would be a keeper, I think so far.

jojo
June 13th, 2011, 02:04 PM
sounds pretty good to me!

xoerincolleen
June 13th, 2011, 02:21 PM
I've been drinking this as well as the scalp spray...I don't really like how this tea tastes, so I've been brewing a kettle with 4 rooibos tea bags + 2 orange tea bags, then letting it cool and sticking it in the fridge. I've been drinking 3-4 glasses of it iced every day and it tastes SO much better than hot! Just thought I'd share in case anyone else doesn't like the nutty taste. :)

knoxkatie
June 13th, 2011, 02:41 PM
I've been drinking this as well as the scalp spray...I don't really like how this tea tastes, so I've been brewing a kettle with 4 rooibos tea bags + 2 orange tea bags, then letting it cool and sticking it in the fridge. I've been drinking 3-4 glasses of it iced every day and it tastes SO much better than hot! Just thought I'd share in case anyone else doesn't like the nutty taste. :)

This sounds delicious.

Thanks Jojo for starting this amazing thread! Consider me on the bandwagon :D

TheLurkingToad
June 13th, 2011, 04:36 PM
I have ordered some of this tea because I don't recall ever seeing it in any stores. I'm really excited for it to arrive.

khan
June 13th, 2011, 05:23 PM
I have ordered some of this tea because I don't recall ever seeing it in any stores. I'm really excited for it to arrive.
I just got mine today. I had to make a 45 minute drive to Independence (MO) to go to 'Nature's Pantry' organic shop. It was time to stock up on those hard to find items anyway. But the rooibos experiment is what got me into the truck. :D

TheLurkingToad
June 13th, 2011, 06:29 PM
Khan, you saying that made me remember their is a store near work that sells only tea and tea related things. I have no idea why I didn't check there for Rooibos. It seems like an obvious and conenient spot to look.

I have a question for all of the people who are drinking the tea and not just spraying it on. While shaving this evening I began to wonder when I start drinking this if I will have to shave more. Has anyone noticed this as a side effect? I'd certainly put up with it if it meant my hair was growing faster.

It is kind of weird but I think I might try an experiment when I get my tea. I will shave a patch off my right and left leg and only apply the tea to one side. It'd be an easy way to tell if it is working.

theodora
June 14th, 2011, 08:16 AM
Huummm to reply to you TheLurkingToad I might have to say that embarrassingly, the growth has affected other regions. I have noticed this as I epilated my legs (you know using an electric epilator that plucks the hair) maybe 10 days ago and they are now looking pretty awful. Epilating (like waxing) usually means I can wait about 3 to 4 weeks if I feel really indifferent about hairy legs - I'm blond by the way so it's pretty discreet.
It has also affected my nails I think as they've been growing really fast, but then again they tend to in the summer.

I guess this shows that drinking works (at least marginally) as I have not applied redbush to my legs or nails topically. This makes me think I should try putting some on my eyebrows which I have been desperately trying to grow for about 5 years (I dream of thick, bushy brooke shields eyebrows for some reason).

Mrspuddinhead
June 14th, 2011, 10:03 AM
I will have to wait until my husband gets paid to give this a try. I'm up for trying anything chemical free that will give my hair shine and growth. I hope Winco has it. 2 teabags to a pint of water, Is that correct?? How often do you do a scalp treatment?? Can I apply it to my hair directly after I get out of the shower or do I need to only apply it to dry hair?? Sorry for all the questions. I just want to make sure I get it right. Thanks!!

tinti
June 14th, 2011, 10:16 AM
Yeah, that's right. I'm just leaving a tea bag in a mug of boiling/ed water overnight then spritzing my scalp with it. My hair's to thick to just leave it in a pony spritsing around it and massaging in so I'm just making sections and spritzing in the parts, like when you curl/flatiron your hair.

Mrspuddinhead
June 14th, 2011, 10:20 AM
I did not mean to post this message and didn't know how to just delete it. Sorry.

jojo
June 14th, 2011, 10:43 AM
About having to shave more, "down there" has erm......grown! a little too much information but it has, not like I could do a number 8 bun or anything but it has affected my under carriage greatly :D

xoerincolleen
June 14th, 2011, 01:41 PM
Huummm to reply to you TheLurkingToad I might have to say that embarrassingly, the growth has affected other regions. I have noticed this as I epilated my legs (you know using an electric epilator that plucks the hair) maybe 10 days ago and they are now looking pretty awful. Epilating (like waxing) usually means I can wait about 3 to 4 weeks if I feel really indifferent about hairy legs - I'm blond by the way so it's pretty discreet.
It has also affected my nails I think as they've been growing really fast, but then again they tend to in the summer.

I guess this shows that drinking works (at least marginally) as I have not applied redbush to my legs or nails topically. This makes me think I should try putting some on my eyebrows which I have been desperately trying to grow for about 5 years (I dream of thick, bushy brooke shields eyebrows for some reason).

I wonder if this would work on eyelashes? It can't hurt, might as well try it!

kyandii
June 14th, 2011, 02:02 PM
About having to shave more, "down there" has erm......grown! a little too much information but it has, not like I could do a number 8 bun or anything but it has affected my under carriage greatly :D
:laugh: :laugh:
I haven't really noticed /that/ much more growth down there.
But I have been practicing a couple of natural hair prevention methods for that department recently

TheLurkingToad
June 14th, 2011, 05:54 PM
Thanks for the answers. It is an undesirable effect but it does mean it's working.

wahmof9
June 15th, 2011, 03:59 PM
Ok used roiboos as a rinse two days ago so 6-13.

cheetahfast
June 15th, 2011, 07:20 PM
Update, I have new growth on my hair line. Actually it's a bit more than I'd like, but my forehead can handle it. I'm pretty sure it's from the tea, since I don't use castor oil often enough.

jojo
June 15th, 2011, 07:24 PM
:laugh: :laugh:
I haven't really noticed /that/ much more growth down there.
But I have been practicing a couple of natural hair prevention methods for that department recently

ha ha well my husband keeps singing Bob Marley songs for some reason:rolleyes:

jojo
June 15th, 2011, 07:32 PM
I just thought of another benefit maybe? I have very sensitive teeth and since having this my teeth are a lot less sensitive!

Emmental
June 15th, 2011, 07:51 PM
I will have to pick some up this weekend. I can get into this hair experiment. :)

Fairlight63
June 15th, 2011, 07:58 PM
I am saving up my used tea bags but I am not sure how to use them.
I was thinking that I would boil 1 cup of water & add 2 tea bags & let it seep for a while then use it for a hair rinse. Do you think that it would be strong enough with using 2 bags?

GoatLady
June 15th, 2011, 08:23 PM
OK, I'm in. I'll pick up some of the tea next time I grocery shop. I could've sworn I had some but must have consumed it already.

xoerincolleen
June 15th, 2011, 10:07 PM
I am saving up my used tea bags but I am not sure how to use them.
I was thinking that I would boil 1 cup of water & add 2 tea bags & let it seep for a while then use it for a hair rinse. Do you think that it would be strong enough with using 2 bags?

I used 4 to make my scalp spray, but I think I had more than 1 cup of water. You could always try with 2, and if it's not strong enough (the color will be an indicator), you could add another!

Red_Wednesday
June 16th, 2011, 12:25 AM
Well, I've read through this whole thread, and I'm sold. I'll be picking up some rooibos tomorrow. Being able to stretch washes would be awesome, and if I get some increased growth too...:disco:.

terpentyna
June 16th, 2011, 01:04 AM
I think I'm sold as well... Now out to find a spray bottle : )

kyandii
June 16th, 2011, 01:59 AM
I just thought of another benefit maybe? I have very sensitive teeth and since having this my teeth are a lot less sensitive!

Very happy you said this.
I got a filling in a tooth on June 1st, but she obviously didn't fill it enough because it still hurt after.
This last week I have noticed that it's a lot less painful.

Chetanlaiho
June 16th, 2011, 05:22 PM
I think I'm sold as well... Now out to find a spray bottle : )

That's been my problem with all of the methods I've wanted to try lately xD (rooibos, mister, leave-in etc.) >_<

TheLurkingToad
June 16th, 2011, 05:28 PM
There is a chance I will be getting me tea tomorrow. I like tea but I have never been looking forward to getting tea as much as this one.

Red_Wednesday
June 16th, 2011, 05:39 PM
Ok, so I bought some Republic of Tea Double Red Rooibos Tea. I took 3 tea bags and put it in about a cup of boiling water and let it sit until it cooled. I plan on spraying it on my scalp every night until...well, for now I'm leaving the "until" open. Anyway, very excited about this!

khan
June 16th, 2011, 07:14 PM
I hope this works. I measured a couple nights ago & figured my hair grows less than a quarter inch a month. 2 years since I've had a trim & my hair has grown 5.5". I've made tailbone but I want thicker ends. I still haven't gotten a mister bottle yet. The tea is tasty though.

EmiliaF
June 17th, 2011, 05:04 AM
Reporting yet another benefit of the rooibos spray:

I am now carrying it around in my purse all the time.
I am trying to stretch washes and have been able to do so because of the spray (like others have also documented). I found that the rooibos helps when my hair (towards the end of the day, but when I am still at work and can't do an emergency corn starch treatment ;) ) looks a little greasy. Spraying a little bit somehow fixes that.
Another benefit is that it's really refreshing in the summer. When I spray my hairline I also spray my face a little and it's great! :D

tinti
June 17th, 2011, 08:56 AM
Mmmm, I love this tea! I drink about 2 (big teacup sizes) cups aday and spraying when I wake up (or after work on work days) and just before bed. It's so refreshing in the summer, I love leaving the bottle in the fridge so it's cool when I spray. Also it seems to soohe my sometimes itchy scalp (I sometimes itch near the bangs area). One thing that I don't like about it is that my white jumper turned yellow/orange. At least according to my sister, my vision impairment (eh, how do you say that :p) hinder me in seeing stuff like that sometimes. So instead of spraying wherever I am I just spray in the shower. I don't need more (dirty lol) laundry than I have.

battles
June 18th, 2011, 04:07 PM
I picked up a box of rooibos around the 8th, and I've been doing rinses in the shower. I let the tea brew for awhile until it was pretty dark and almost cool and I keep it in the fridge when I'm not using it. Instead of using a mister bottle, I use one of the squirt bottles to get it on my scalp. I totally saturate my head in it and massage it in and let it sit for awhile while I do my other shower stuff, and then rinse it out. Once in awhile I'll leave it in. I'm not drinking it at all.

I'm leaning towards me just being a noob at measuring my hair.. I measured 15 inches right before I started rooibos.. I just measured again multiple times, and I'm at a solid 16 inches ten days later. :bigeyes:

wahmof9
June 18th, 2011, 04:12 PM
I have been using mine as a rinse..is it better to spray?

TheLurkingToad
June 18th, 2011, 04:51 PM
I got my tea today. It certainly doesn't smell like any other of the teas I have had and I have yet to try it.

tinti
June 18th, 2011, 06:44 PM
Grfch, my new rooibos is a non-bag one! Oh well, I'm using 2 used bags for my spray tomorrow and I'll just use the non-bag thing for emergensies ;)

Red_Wednesday
June 18th, 2011, 08:28 PM
I really like the spray. I made it and put it in the fridge - the coolness feels great. Once I've put it on though, I notice that "sweaty" scalp sensation, but it dries relatively quickly, and wow does the hair that I've sprayed feel soft.

I'm thinking I might start doing a rinse as well as having the spray. I just love the way it makes my hair feel after it's been applied.

xoerincolleen
June 18th, 2011, 08:35 PM
I picked up a box of rooibos around the 8th, and I've been doing rinses in the shower. I let the tea brew for awhile until it was pretty dark and almost cool and I keep it in the fridge when I'm not using it. Instead of using a mister bottle, I use one of the squirt bottles to get it on my scalp. I totally saturate my head in it and massage it in and let it sit for awhile while I do my other shower stuff, and then rinse it out. Once in awhile I'll leave it in. I'm not drinking it at all.

I'm leaning towards me just being a noob at measuring my hair.. I measured 15 inches right before I started rooibos.. I just measured again multiple times, and I'm at a solid 16 inches ten days later. :bigeyes:

It could be some growth from the tea, too! I trimmed my side bangs 1/4 inch 8 days ago and they're back where they were already. My hair has always grown pretty fast, but I've been drinking the tea and spraying my scalp 2x a day, so I'm thinking that might have speeded it up a little!

Fairlight63
June 19th, 2011, 06:03 AM
I have tried rinsing my hair in it upside down in a pail a few days ago. Then yesterday I rinsed it in the shower, I poured it over my head & I did not like it running down my back & I can't catch it in the pail & repour it over my head like I can do rinsing it in the pail. Also the tea may stain my shower floor so I don't think that I will do it in the shower again.
I drink it every day and spray it on my hair a few times a week. I think that I may have gotten some new growth, I am almost 36" now. I trim the ends off on the New Moon hoping for some extra growth.:eyebrows:

x0h_bother
June 20th, 2011, 12:10 PM
Just bought some Twinings brand and steeped one, drank, steeped the old tea bag and a new one together, and put it in a mini spray bottle, sprayed the scalp. I put the leftover in the bottle in the fridge. I'm going to leave it in all day (hair is up).
A few questions:
1-How do you steep yours? (I grew up on microwaves so right now I microwave mine. Does it make a difference?)
2-Do you steep yours, or cut open the bags and do something else with it, or do you buy loose tea?
3-I saw one brand of tea had ground rooibos along with tea leaves. Is ground rooibos better?
4-Is there an extract form or other similar form? Is this better?

If anyone knows any of this info thanks in advance! :)

lorelai2012
June 20th, 2011, 12:40 PM
Right! Getting on the Rooibos train now! I love redbush tea anyways.... will check in with my results.

tinti
June 20th, 2011, 04:22 PM
My hair has grown half a cm in one week! That's a bit under half the 1/2 inch I grow every month.

x0h_bother
June 20th, 2011, 10:40 PM

Wowwwww.

Day 1 mister bottle...Can't wait to see what Day 7 brings!

jackgirl
June 21st, 2011, 01:59 AM
I want to play! I've been really sceptical about things that make your hair grow faster, I was taking some supplements but all they seemed to do was make me anxious. The monistat idea sort of makes sense but it's expensive and sound a bit messy. This however... I can't really find any reason not to try it, I love rooibos tea, I like it strong, and I'd like shiny hair! If it works then thats a bonus! Ooh and I'd like my nails to grow too :-)

Eolan
June 21st, 2011, 03:35 AM
I'll join, finally.

I'd like to get more shine, less frizz and go longer between washes. I don't expect extra growth, so if it happens it will be a welcome surprise.

I'll do the spray thing, and try to increase the red tea to my daily tea cups.

As I have scalp problems (psoriasis) I wonder what your experiences are scalp wise? I hope it will be soothing.

I had a thought to mix the roiboos with nettle tea. What do you think about that?

I use the Panacea Hair Salve like all the time, and it has roiboos in it. Just promoting. :)

gergelul
June 21st, 2011, 03:54 AM
wow, well, I am a tea addict, I drink a lot, and I have previously tried rinses with other types of teas, and they have proved to be awesome( but I might as well try it with rooibos). So, this is the experiment for me. I just have to find something with which to spray over my hair.

jackgirl
June 21st, 2011, 02:02 PM
Wow I'd forgotten how good this tea is! I like it with 2 bags in, both with milk and sugar and black, had two cups tonight already yum :)

The best thing was, when I went to get it I bumped into the only other person on the shop, a bald man also after some rooibus tea as he heard it was healthy!

I'm going in search of a spray bottle now :)

lorelai2012
June 21st, 2011, 02:55 PM
:oops:I need to share my tale of woe. Today was a disaster for the rooibus experiment. I have some in my cupboard so took them to work where I use a cup flask as I drink tea really slowly, couldn't understand why I didn't like the taste of it- turns out my work buddy had borrowed the previous shift to have tomato and basil soup in - even though she cleaned it the taste stuck! Bleagh! Really put me off and I went to ASDA and bought a new cup flask but stuck to PG Tips this afternoon. Decided might have more luck with a spray bottle- should have known better but used an old bottle that had had body spray in it- I gave it a good rinse first. MISTAKE. 10 mins after I sprayed it all over my scalp got a mad case of the itchies on my head and the eczema on my eye starts complaining so much I had to wash my hair- I hate washing my hair! Think its psychosomatic but now my shoulders and arms itch- have taken an antihistamine- am scared all my hair is going to fall out now! Going to buy myself a brand new spray bottle next week and do a teensy patch test before spraying my whole head again.

How dumb can a girl get?!

x0h_bother
June 21st, 2011, 06:27 PM
I sprayed it all over my scalp as a leave in (a LOT) and I think it dried it out. So if you like or need this, that may be a good thing. Since I am a daily washer I'm not into a drier scalp right now. So I will lay off excessive use of this.

TheLurkingToad
June 21st, 2011, 07:07 PM
I'm drinking my first cup now and I am on day three of using it on my hair. I love how it makes my hair feel. I still find the smell unusual but I am used to it now. I'm okay with the taste. I don't think it tastes bad but I don't like it a whole bunch. This will probably change because I didn't care much for Green Tea to begin with and now I love it.

I mentioned a few pages ago how I had the idea to try it on my legs. I shaved a spot off both my legs and I only put the tea on my left leg. The left leg hair has indeed grown faster. This wasn't scientific and I'm sure there are a whole bunch of variables I didn't consider but it does show me that Rooibos might make hair grow faster.

jackgirl
June 22nd, 2011, 06:36 AM
Well it was wash day today and I sprayed the tea on my roots, put it up and went to work, but now it's just lank and greasy! I think I'll have to leave on overnight in future!

jojo
June 22nd, 2011, 06:57 AM
Very happy you said this.
I got a filling in a tooth on June 1st, but she obviously didn't fill it enough because it still hurt after.
This last week I have noticed that it's a lot less painful.

all is good still no sensitivity to report, glad your getting the same

khan
June 22nd, 2011, 07:23 PM
[quote=TheLurkingToad;1656690]I'm drinking my first cup now and I am on day three of using it on my hair. I love how it makes my hair feel. I still find the smell unusual but I am used to it now. I'm okay with the taste. I don't think it tastes bad but I don't like it a whole bunch. This will probably change because I didn't care much for Green Tea to begin with and now I love it.quote]

I bought two different brands; Alvita which is the holistic/health tea & TAZO (? I don't have it with me) the yummy vanilla/orange laced brand. I use one of each. I think the TAZO was quite a bit more expensive - but it sure does taste and smell wonderful.

battles; I'm glad you posted about the squirt bottle. I can't find a mister bottle :mad: in my tiny town. I've got a turkey baster at home................................ummm.

battles
June 22nd, 2011, 10:17 PM
battles; I'm glad you posted about the squirt bottle. I can't find a mister bottle :mad: in my tiny town. I've got a turkey baster at home................................ummm.

I use a hair dye applicator bottle, it works really well. I just make sure to get it on my scalp after shampooing and everything, squeeze off the excess so my head isn't dripping tea. :p

ETA: My hair is normally pretty oily, leaving the tea in seems to be helping with that. It isn't quite so bad the next day.

GoatLady
June 23rd, 2011, 12:21 AM
I've been spraying my scalp with the tea for about 4 days now. I usually spray my scalp in the evening and let it dry before going to bed. It feels very refreshing on a hot summer night. I've also been drinking a fair amount of the tea. It reminds me of black tea, so I quite enjoy it.

sugarpixie10988
June 23rd, 2011, 08:59 AM
In my original post in this thread, I said I wasn't going to measure my hair and just go by pictures. Well... my curiosity overrode my laziness :p. I measured my hair a week ago, and I just measured it again. It's grown 1/4 of an inch in a week! I usually get about 1/2 an inch a month. I'll measure again when the month is up to see how much I've grown :). I've been misting it on my scalp almost every night and then some on the length. I then take some in my hands and massage my scalp with it. I've also noticed my bangs have been growing like crazy, so I'll need to trim them soon. Yay for rooibos tea, and yay for this thread!! :cheese:

Fairlight63
June 23rd, 2011, 09:39 AM
I was wondering what time of day do you drink your tea? morning, noon, afternoon, before bed? what is the best time of day to drink it? And also, how many cups a day do you drink?

jackgirl
June 23rd, 2011, 02:03 PM
I've been drinking it all day for the last two days, I do feel suuuuuper sleepy, I don't know if that has anything to do with it! I usually drink normal tea at work, and I replaced it with rooibos yesterday morning, but was so tired I went and bought a strong coffee at lunchtime! Today I mixed them up a bit and had two cups of rooibos and 2 cups normal tea. Plus a one shot coffee and a two shot one! I still feel like I could fall asleep any minute though, strange!

gthlvrmx
June 23rd, 2011, 03:30 PM
do you guys think this is any good?
http://www.target.com/TAZO-1-59OZ-VAN-ROOIBOS-TEA/dp/B004GN6TGQ
I don't want to be ordering anything anymore for a while but the good stuff i can by ordering only so far. Can't seem to find stores anything good mentioned here.

Ligeia_13
June 23rd, 2011, 03:44 PM
I wonder if I could get this in Greece :/ I'd much prefer this than slapping yeast cream on my head. I shall have a gander around the net.

tinti
June 23rd, 2011, 03:51 PM
It is sold in most health food stores, I think. I mean, if we have Yogi Rooibos tea here in Norway you should have it in Greece ;)

Ligeia_13
June 23rd, 2011, 04:40 PM
^ I googled around a bit and found a store that's close to where I work :D I can start tomorrow tee hee hee. I'm so excited :cheese:

x0h_bother
June 23rd, 2011, 05:48 PM
I'm not sure if it's just me..but how is this antimicrobial? Does anyone have any literature on why it might be?

Cowgirl16
June 23rd, 2011, 06:21 PM
Hi!:waving: I am going to join in here. As I have posted in another thread I am going through a huge shed right now and I can use all the help I can get.
I intend to drink it (mixed with my regular tea), and apply it to my scalp with the mister. :drama:

islandboo
June 23rd, 2011, 06:38 PM
Okay, I think I will join up and start drinking some rooibos. The only rooibos I could find was green rooibos (green red bush, how festive) but I am hoping that since green Sinensis tea is supposed to maybe more antioxidants and such maybe green rooibos will have a nice strong effect as well.

Debra83
June 24th, 2011, 12:16 AM
Accidentally bought "vanilla" rooibos. Not bad, for an accident.

jackgirl
June 24th, 2011, 03:36 AM
I'd forgotten about vanilla rooibos, I drank loads of that a couple of years ago! I wasn't paying attention to my hair growth then (probably the best way to be!) so can't comment, but I did really enjoy it with milk and sugar :-)

AngryVikingGirl
June 24th, 2011, 05:10 AM
I'm in! But I don't measure my hair, sorry. Yesterday I had the impression that it had grown. I've been drinking the tea and rinsing my hair (sometimes daily, sometimes missed a few days) for about two weeks. The greatest thing is that it cleans my greasy hair without washing, it's really useful. Feels like tricking my hair, so it can't make me feel 'Oh, I already need to wash it again...' I like washing, but not every day...
And yes, rooibos rinse makes hair soft...
Let's grow!

jackgirl
June 24th, 2011, 05:36 AM
When you do a rinse, do you just pour a pint or so over your hair in the shower? And do you leave it in or rinse it out with water? I'm quite liking the spray bottle but I haven't been drenching my hair so I'm not sure how much use it will do. It's only been three days though so there are a few to go yet!

hyettf16
June 24th, 2011, 09:08 AM
I've been drinking it for a few weeks. I got the chai flavor from teavana and I loooove the smell. I have a strong brew in a spray bottle in the fridge and it smells like bacon :) It does seem to help with growth and condition.

jackgirl
June 24th, 2011, 09:34 AM
Ok this is me after 3 days of drinking the tea (just so I can check progress in a couple of months!) I want to be BSL by Christmas :-)

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=7632&pictureid=106099

LaceyNg
June 25th, 2011, 08:33 AM
at Target the only tea with rooibos i could find was a chai spice tea that also has black tea, cinnamon, and black pepper in it, among other things. i have never like dthe taste of tea, and this one was no exception :-(

but it makes my head smell like christmas, so thats cool :D

i used a spray bottle to spray it on roots and length, on 3 day hair that was in need of a wash, and found that after it dried i had AMAZING texture, and could go at least another day or 2 without a wash. normally my scap doesnt get greay so much as it does itchy (thanks to psoriasis), but this really soothed it! no more itchies at all! only negative was that my hair seemed a bit dry, but i'm thinking that was due to all the "extra" stuff in it.

yesterday i went o a WholeFoods and found more rooibos tea, but still no PLAIN rooibos tea, so i got the one mixed with vanilla. it was the one that had the least additional ingredients, and i figured maybe i'll find this one delicious

a reminder/suggestion for you ladies (and i think this has already been mentioned), make sure you refrigerate your mixtures! wouldnt want to spray bacteria on your heads!!!

happy growing!:hifive:

pixiestar
June 25th, 2011, 09:00 AM
I've got new hair growth:D Little buggers keep sticking out:D

jojo
June 25th, 2011, 10:59 AM
^^ me too loads but its growing. I forgot a few days as i was busy but im back on track, still drinking it by the bucket full!

theodora
June 25th, 2011, 11:49 AM
Just bought 2 maxi boxes of 11 o' clock rooibos woop woop, that's 160 tea bags! :D :D
I've been drinking the co-op rooibos for a few weeks now and it really just doesn't taste as good for some reason. I shall keep it for the spray then.

Also, remember how I grew 2 inches in a month recently when I was doing the experiment? Well shortly after that I broke my spray bottle and I stopped doing the scalp spray and my growth pretty much stalled. Which goes to show that topical application might be more efficient than drinking only. I've got a new spray bottle so I'll hopefully get the growth back on tracks.

The other thing that could have influenced it could be weather related, as it seemed I grew loads when it was sunny, and the weather has been a bit on the crap/rainy side lately. My hair always grows faster in the summer or when I go on holiday somewhere sunny.

JadeTigress
June 26th, 2011, 01:00 AM
I wanted to try this a long time ago, but then money problems popped up and I couldn't afford the tea.

But that time has passed, and I now have tea. :p

My first batch is steeping right now. I'm super excited to try it out in the morning.

littleflowerr
June 26th, 2011, 01:38 AM
Hmm i love tea, so i think im going to give this a try on monday! :) since i've got no time tomorrow to get it (work -_-)!

kyandii
June 26th, 2011, 02:16 AM
Just bought 2 maxi boxes of 11 o' clock rooibos woop woop, that's 160 tea bags! :D :D
I've been drinking the co-op rooibos for a few weeks now and it really just doesn't taste as good for some reason. I shall keep it for the spray then.

The 11 o' clock tea tastes so much better, I'vem been switching between 11 o'clock and sainsburys. :D

Solange
June 26th, 2011, 03:13 AM
Sounds good! I drink rooibos tea regularly, I may as well try it topically. Only I'll have to get some of the regular stuff instead of rooibos chai. :O)

jojo
June 26th, 2011, 05:52 AM
^^ you say you drink it regular. What is your growth rate out of curiosity? TIA

bunzfan
June 26th, 2011, 06:05 AM
After reading the entire thread i'm joining to:D i drink it already i take it you just brew some and put it in your spray bottle? how many times a day are you doing this?

PolarCathy
June 26th, 2011, 06:14 AM
I am an avid tea drinker, I have 10+ different kinds of tea in the kitchen cabinet at any moment. There was only one kind of tea so far that I didn't like and that was rooibos. (I drink tea unflavoured, no lemon juice, no sugar.) But it was some cheap kind, maybe that's why.

You people have bumped these two threads so much :D that it makes me try it again. I will buy some shortly. :D :D :D

PolarCathy
June 26th, 2011, 06:19 AM
Has any1 considered freezing it in 1 ice cube tray like flaxseed gel? One cube should be enough per day for topical application...

Ligeia_13
June 26th, 2011, 07:20 AM
Also, remember how I grew 2 inches in a month recently when I was doing the experiment? Well shortly after that I broke my spray bottle and I stopped doing the scalp spray and my growth pretty much stalled. Which goes to show that topical application might be more efficient than drinking only.

Aw, that's disappointing.:( I'm already using Daktarin so I figured I'd just drink it. I'm not sure how much my hair can handle on it.
Anyways, I'm on my third cup of tea as we speak! I must confess, though, I've never been particularly fond of tea and its SO hot right now. And yet, I'm still drinking it. The things I'll do for my hair :D

PolarCathy
June 26th, 2011, 08:24 AM
Phhhh... I can't drink this. Smell is awful. Well I tried...

kyandii
June 26th, 2011, 08:27 AM
Phhhh... I can't drink this. Smell is awful. Well I tried...

Oh no! what a shame. I'm not keen on the smell so I breath through my mouth when I drink.
My nan hates the smell aswell.

PolarCathy
June 26th, 2011, 08:29 AM
Oh no! what a shame. I'm not keen on the smell so I breath through my mouth when I drink.
My nan hates the smell aswell.

...I could force it down but for me tea is to be enjoyed. So - back to the green tea :)
I may pour it on my head later (not now, right now my hair is the most perfect it has ever been, don't want to destroy it...)

Solange
June 26th, 2011, 09:30 AM
^^ you say you drink it regular. What is your growth rate out of curiosity? TIA

I'm not one to measure on a monthly basis, but based on how much I get trimmed one to three times a year (to maintain it at knee-length), I'd say around an inch per month. I should add that I do take MSN and a vitamin B complex. As a teenager, the last time I cut my hair just past shoulder length, it grew to my hips in under a year. I wasn't taking supplements back then or drinking tea, so I don't really know if it has an effect. I do know that my leg hair started growing faster since I've been taking MSN, though, lol. Rooibos is good for skin too, and I do believe my skin has improved.

Solange
June 26th, 2011, 09:33 AM
I am an avid tea drinker, I have 10+ different kinds of tea in the kitchen cabinet at any moment. There was only one kind of tea so far that I didn't like and that was rooibos. (I drink tea unflavoured, no lemon juice, no sugar.) But it was some cheap kind, maybe that's why.

You people have bumped these two threads so much :D that it makes me try it again. I will buy some shortly. :D :D :D

I don't like plain rooibos, but with rooibos chai (Indian spices), it's quite good!

gthlvrmx
June 26th, 2011, 09:35 AM
I am guessing pure rooibos (without the vanilla and added things) will probably be best to see better results.

BohoClassic
June 26th, 2011, 10:17 AM

I really hated the taste and even the smell of Rooibos at first,but now ive got used to it i really enjoy drinking it.

PolarCathy
June 26th, 2011, 10:24 AM
I really hated the taste and even the smell of Rooibos at first,but now ive got used to it i really enjoy drinking it.

You know, I remember when I had green tea with jasmine petals for the first time and I left it soaking for too long. It got bitter. Sink. Even pure green tea, sometimes I just forgot about it, answered a phone call or something, found the cup 30 minutes later, bitter, sink.

Now.. I got used to. I even like that bitterness. If I can I try to avoid it but if it gets a little bitter I just drink it anyway.

I haven't poured it out yet, it's in front of me, trying to get used to the smell... :D :D
I want to give it a chance if it's really so good for the body. And it was expensive (I bought the most expensive kind this time hoping that it would be good...) :cool:

hyettf16
June 26th, 2011, 10:32 AM
I have rooibos chai flavor from teavana. It just smells like cinnamon and has barely any taste to me (just like hot water I don't sweeten it or anything). I love it.

battles
June 26th, 2011, 11:57 AM
Pictures from experimenting :p

http://www.longhaircommunity.com/forums/album.php?albumid=8106&pictureid=106087

First one is about 9 days after I started the rinses.

http://www.longhaircommunity.com/forums/album.php?albumid=8106&pictureid=106209

Second is 10 days after the first picture. So I've gotten a little bit of growth I think? It's hard to tell on yourself sometimes. After this I'll start taking pictures monthly. :D

BohoClassic
June 26th, 2011, 12:10 PM
You know, I remember when I had green tea with jasmine petals for the first time and I left it soaking for too long. It got bitter. Sink. Even pure green tea, sometimes I just forgot about it, answered a phone call or something, found the cup 30 minutes later, bitter, sink.

Now.. I got used to. I even like that bitterness. If I can I try to avoid it but if it gets a little bitter I just drink it anyway.

I haven't poured it out yet, it's in front of me, trying to get used to the smell... :D :D
I want to give it a chance if it's really so good for the body. And it was expensive (I bought the most expensive kind this time hoping that it would be good...) :cool:
Some things are definately an acquired taste :)

tinti
June 26th, 2011, 12:36 PM
Been away for the weekend and haven't got the chance to rooibos my scalp or drinking, but starting again now :D

oktobergoud
June 27th, 2011, 03:03 PM
Okay, I want to join in this as well but I have a question. Do you have to store the rooibos in the fridge, as in, the drink itself (so not the dry leaves, I mean the tea that is ready to drink etc. :P) if you want to use it as a spray? How long would it stay okay? I know myself, I live in a dorm and would have to walk downstairs to the fridge to get the spray: I would most likely forget about it :P
I read some people use it twice a day! Is that necessary? (sorry for the questions, to be honest I just don't feel like reading all 23 pages :P)

Ever since this thread I've bought it and drink it with honey, SO DELICIOUS <3

jackgirl
June 28th, 2011, 03:34 AM
Is anyone else getting dandruff from this or is it just me?

kyandii
June 28th, 2011, 04:32 AM
Is anyone else getting dandruff from this or is it just me?

I noticed some when I went a week without using it.

Monkie
June 28th, 2011, 05:18 AM
I'm in! Currently using Monistat at night and shampooing out in the morning, planning on spraying Rooibos on my hair post-shower. I've been easy on myself as far as not trimming, so it's time to do something about it.

Ligeia_13
June 28th, 2011, 06:58 AM
Yesterday was my first day of actual application and MAN is my hair crazy shiny today :D

krissykins
June 28th, 2011, 12:39 PM
Anyone have any progress pictures they wanna share? :p I wanna see pictures!

timotej
June 28th, 2011, 02:58 PM
Wow, I'm sold! Will try to remember to buy some tomorrow.

If it will help me to stay grease-free for a longer time, then that is enough in itself! Although I wouldn't say no to some growth...

Are you all drinking it as well as misting your hair?

bondeandeebowl
June 28th, 2011, 08:49 PM
Wow, I'm sold! Will try to remember to buy some tomorrow.

If it will help me to stay grease-free for a longer time, then that is enough in itself! Although I wouldn't say no to some growth...

Are you all drinking it as well as misting your hair?

I'm drinking it and rinsing with it as I haven't bought a spray bottle yet. Basically after I condition, I rinse with water then wring it out by hand, and pour the tea over all of my head. Probably not the most effective way but it will have to do until I remember to buy a spray bottle!

xoerincolleen
June 28th, 2011, 09:15 PM
Okay, I want to join in this as well but I have a question. Do you have to store the rooibos in the fridge, as in, the drink itself (so not the dry leaves, I mean the tea that is ready to drink etc. :P) if you want to use it as a spray? How long would it stay okay? I know myself, I live in a dorm and would have to walk downstairs to the fridge to get the spray: I would most likely forget about it :P
I read some people use it twice a day! Is that necessary? (sorry for the questions, to be honest I just don't feel like reading all 23 pages :P)

Ever since this thread I've bought it and drink it with honey, SO DELICIOUS <3

I leave mine unrefridgerated for a few days and it's fine. My spray bottle is pretty small though, so it only holds enough tea for about 3 days' use at most. I stick it in the fridge after I make it and then when I'm ready to use it, take it out, then just stick it on my bookshelf. I don't *think* it's going bad when I do that!

Debra83
June 29th, 2011, 12:58 AM
I think it's longer....

Taken May 29, 2011.....started drinking tea beginning of June:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6238&pictureid=106495

June 28, 2011- twin braid waves brushed out....(henna'd twice so far in June due to roots)....

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6238&pictureid=106494

NaiadOreiad
June 29th, 2011, 01:04 AM
I think it's longer....

Taken May 29, 2011.....started drinking tea beginning of June:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6238&pictureid=106495

June 28, 2011- twin braid waves brushed out....(henna'd twice so far in June due to roots)....

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6238&pictureid=106494

I certainly think so!!!!

Debra83
June 29th, 2011, 01:11 AM
Thanks! I honestly can't judge by the pics, but I KNOW I had to henna twice this month about two weeks apart already. THAT is not a normal month for me! It MUST be growing!

Monkie
June 29th, 2011, 06:59 AM
I've started using it in the morning as a spray to wet down my bed hair, so far so good.

mrs_coffee
June 29th, 2011, 10:06 AM
If anyone in the US lives near a Trader Joe's, they stock Rooibos tea (it's called Ruby Red Chai). I've been a rooibos drinker for a few years because an herbalist told me it would help with my asthma, and it has. I drink 2-3 cups a day usually. I didn't know it was good for hair growth, but maybe that's why my hair grows fast.

timotej
June 29th, 2011, 02:48 PM
Ok, I'm drinking a cup right now and steeping two bags in a cup. How long should I steep? Does it have to be cold first? Hope that someone can answer this fast - I really want to try it before I go to sleep and it's almost 11 pm here. :-)

timotej
June 29th, 2011, 02:58 PM
Oh, and also, can I spray the whole hair (for shine) or will it be drying?

timotej
June 29th, 2011, 03:10 PM
Also - sorry for chattering on - the tea smells a bit like pipe tobacco, does that mean that my hair will smell like pipe tobacco?? That's not so good, perhaps. At least not for work?