PDA

View Full Version : Orange roots

emsahib
May 25th, 2011, 05:16 PM
I hope I will not get a telling off for this but today I went to the hairdressers and had the demi brown on my hair stripped and attempted to go an Amy Pond (Doctor Who) ginger colour. This was done with a permanent which didn't really take, and then a semi which did. However the colour was darker and redder than I was expecting and it was especially more red at the top I thought.

Anyway after that I decided to see if I could fix it by doing essentially what the hairdressers did but with store bought dyes. I got a prelightening kit which made the top really really bright orange and the rest an ashy brown colour. Then I put a permanent over that which did even it out a bit, not a great deal though.

I actually didn't want to leave the house I was in such shock but I had a meal with friends to go to so I put it in a bun, I also put a bit of talc on it to dull the colour a bit. Thankfully it doesn't feel dry because I put loads of oil on it. Just got back from the meal and it doesn't look that bad, but that might be cos I'm feeling better. I've taken a photo, but I'm not sure if the colours are accurate, my bf says they are, but I feel the top looks brighter (it still has the talc on it) In real life I want to make all my hair the same colour as my length, but in the pic I want to make my length the same colour as my roots. Here's the photo http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=6026&pictureid=103711

So anyway my question is can I just dye my roots or the other way round just dye my length and leave my roots, to try and even it up.If I do just dye the roots, what type of brown might work?

Sabriel
May 25th, 2011, 05:40 PM
disclaimer: I know barely anything about hair dye!

But I don't think it looks bad. I was expecting a MUCH worse pic from your description. Don't dyes fade a bit anyway? If so maybe you'd be better off letting it be, using so much dye on your hair sounds a little scary!

Roscata
May 25th, 2011, 08:24 PM
Chemical red dyes fade pretty easily, you could just wait it out maybe use a clarifying shampoo to help it fade faster.

You could lighten the length and color it red again, but honestly after just doing that you should give your hair a chance to recover, maybe try an SMT (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128).

You could also try coloring your hair brown, maybe with a semipermanent dye to avoid further damage as much as possible, perhaps medium brown?

Whatever you do I hope you consider coconut oil to reduce the damage peroxide can do to your hair: Possible way to protect hair from conventional peroxide damage (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=10495&highlight=coconut+peroxide).

Good luck! :D

Mesmerise
May 25th, 2011, 11:32 PM
Oooh well one thing I learned is that attempting to fix one problem with my hair often leaded to more problems lol... that said, your hair doesn't look that bad in the picture! One thing to remember with reds is that they fade FAST (unless you've used henna) so if you EVER dye red and it comes out too bright or too strong, just exercise patience for a few weeks and the issue will generally resolve itself.

As for your hair now, if you really want to avoid a further bungle, go back to the hairdresser and see if they can give you a gentle permanent that will go over the top and even out the colours.

Or you could alternatively join the henna cult which is generally much less damaging for your hair, but can be permanent and messy!

emsahib
May 26th, 2011, 12:52 AM
thanks for your replies. I think it looks worse in bright light, I was actually surprised that it doesn't look that bad in the photo. I've been using loads of jojoba oil which has really helped. If I go for a medium brown should I go for a cool brown colour. And what's the best way to put it just on my roots? Should I have the hairdye on for less time so that the roots don't go too dark?

owlathena
May 26th, 2011, 01:07 AM
This is just an idea from someone very inexperienced in the subject, but could you use a little indigo to darken the orange spots? AFAIK indigo isn't permanent like henna. From personal experience, I don't recommend any more experimenting with box dyes, even semi-permanent ones. I've done the most damage to my hair trying to get to a specific color and they're quite unpredictable, unless you want to go fairly dark.

Toadstool
May 26th, 2011, 01:28 AM
In that picture you and your hair look very cute!
I've had orange roots loads of times and have usually just put a permanent brown dye on top which further damages it, goes khaki in places and then fades with each wash. So I don't really have any suggestions sorry. Good luck!

emsahib
May 26th, 2011, 02:23 AM
Ok I've taken a photo in bright light its quite different. http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=6026&pictureid=103729

I think I am going to go for a box dye as the hairdresser did recommend I go over it with a semi permanent brown.Although they would go over the whole thing, but I feel that wouldn't make it even, plus I like the colour of my length. Has anybody tried just dyeing only their roots before?

Roscata
May 26th, 2011, 09:18 AM
Yeah I do root touch-ups all the time (with henna). I just apply it only to the roots, leave it on for the same time as I would the whole head, then wash it out.

I strongly suggest you do a strand test before committing to the whole hair. You could do a strand test for roots only and one for the whole strand length that way you'll know which works best to achieve what you want.

I really hope it works out. Please post pics after you've colored it again. :D

jojo
May 26th, 2011, 11:01 AM
it will fade but a wash in wash out ash colour will tone the red down no worries!

Valdeon
May 26th, 2011, 11:15 AM
I wouldn't wait for the red to fade. There is a pretty good chance the red is coming from your lightened hair after you and your hairdresser tried to lift the color, not from the hair dye. The bleach burns ash undertones first leaving your hair with dominant red pigment in the strands and it will stay this way, you can only put some more dye to cover it.

If you like the color on your length which is on the ashier side I would recommend looking into Wella Coleston hair dyes with 10vol. peroxide and possibly a blue mix tone. Blue will neutralize the red on your roots or at least it will tone it down considerably.

The best of luck in what ever you decide to do!

emsahib
May 29th, 2011, 09:30 AM
Hey I managed to fix the colour. I used a Garnier demi permant in a medium brown just on the roots, with some help from my bf for the bits on the back. I'll get him to take a pic later it's easier than getting the tripod out :) thanks for all your advice. After this I'm considering just going back to my natural colour, dying it has been too much hassle

Kome
May 29th, 2011, 09:56 AM
Just remember that you have to go DARKER than what you want. The only way to go a lighter shade than your hair already is is by lightening (bleaching) it first. I'd go a nice chocolately brown, or you can bleach first if you want a lighter brown.

I wouldn't do a semi permanent because well... they're not permanent. It's NOT less damage if you have to keep redying your hair. Haha. People are funny. Anyways... you have some options. I've been where you're at. You'll figure it out. Good luck! :)

Kome
May 29th, 2011, 09:56 AM
Hey I managed to fix the colour. I used a Garnier demi permant in a medium brown just on the roots, with some help from my bf for the bits on the back. I'll get him to take a pic later it's easier than getting the tripod out :) thanks for all your advice. After this I'm considering just going back to my natural colour, dying it has been too much hassle

Yay!!! Congrats. :cheer:

beez1717
May 29th, 2011, 08:52 PM
I don't get it why so many people worry about their roots. I think it can look neat if you have two toned hair. Plus all that new hair wasn't bleached and/or dyed, so that means it isn't going to be hurt as badly...

emsahib
June 8th, 2011, 12:35 PM
finally got round to taking a photo, but I think this light has made it look slightly more brown than it is. It's quite a close match though. http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=6026&pictureid=104793