PDA

View Full Version : I am tempted to donate my hair

ldc441
May 25th, 2011, 02:46 PM
my hair is near APL and i want it to grow so i can donate it but i dont know how long it will take to grow out to reach the needed length, which it at leat 10 inches

also has anyone else donated there hair? because i could use some tips

Tuntenut
May 25th, 2011, 02:55 PM
Which organization do you intend to donate to? They can probably give you the details on their specific quality criteria.

If the hair is to be used for wigs, it is important that it is strong virgin hair with absolute minimal damage. This means no colour and no perms, no heating, no styling products, and wearing it in styles that protect it from weather/environment/UV-damage.

Wigmakers use a very harsh method of beating the hair against a wool carting comb, and only the strongest hairs that survive are used in the wig. If your hair is brittle in its current state, it might not be usable at all.

Now, cue the Lock of Love rants in 3... 2... ^_~

Anje
May 25th, 2011, 02:58 PM
Well, as a whole this group tends to be more devoted to growing hair than cutting it short. But if you do chose to donate, research who to send hair to. Locks of Love has gotten a bit of a bad reputation here due to their tendency to sell or throw away donated hair. (http://www.squidoo.com/locksoflove) I've heard better things about the Pantene Beautiful Lengths program.

Arya
May 25th, 2011, 03:02 PM
You're probably better off using the cutting of your hair to raise money to donate (and then donate it yourself if you so choose). At Run for the Cure type events, they usually have such things.

jojo
May 25th, 2011, 04:25 PM
I donate to a childrens fund, I donate to donkeys in India, I shop in various charity shops.....my hair stays on my head!

If your really keen to donate, have a sponsorship like shave your head and donate the money raised. I dont really trust any of the hair donations things and personally wouldnt do it, but thats just me! Good luck

trillian
May 25th, 2011, 05:08 PM
I admit it. I donated my hair to Pantene Beautiful Lengths several years ago. Pantene required 8 inches - I think, but double check this before you get your cut. I donated about 10.

I did this because my mom had cancer. I know, I know, there are issues with charitable programs, and I know that they maybe sold my hair, or they gave it away to someone with alopeicia, or whatever they did with it, ultimately it didn't matter to me what the end result of it was. If someone took the money from the sale of hair that they knew was intended to help someone - and ended up the 100 dollars richer because of it, that's between them and god. (Not to sound preachy. Sorry).

I truly wish that each and every one of you never has to experience a cancer diagnosis for a loved one. I still remember the look on her face as she told me, and the sinking sensation that she was sick, and there was nothing I could do. It was between her, her doctors and the powers that be.

She and I went shopping for scarves, because her doctors told her that she was going to lose her hair. This is after she forbade me to shave my head. This shopping trip is the one time I can remember mom crying in public. The clerk asked her what the scarves were for, and she said "Because I am going to lose my hair."

My donation, even not knowing exactly where it ended up, made me feel a bit better, because it was something I felt like I could do. So I donated my hair, and like I said, it made me feel slightly less helpless. I also haven't donated my hair since, and I don't think I would do so again, unless it coincided with the decision to get a big chop.

I'm proud to say mom is a survivor.

I guess if you want to donate your hair, do it. If you want to keep it on your head, that's fine too. I think everyone has different ways of coping with things, and I admit mine isn't always usual, or what most folks would have chosen. I'm also not trying to encourage all you beautiful folks to crop your manes. I'm just explaining my reasoning for doing so.

jojo
May 25th, 2011, 06:34 PM
Yes ive lost 2 close family members to cancer, i nurse cancer patients and I applause anybody who wishes to do this, but I just feel that anybody with decent length hair gets the donate your hair talk. Donating my hair does not guarantee recovery, however I would gladly donate an organ from my body to save the life of a loved one.

ravenreed
May 25th, 2011, 06:39 PM
My personal feeling is that there are far worse things you can do than donate hair for a cause. As long as folks go into it with eyes open. The truth is that many charities spend more money on the running of such and not so much goes towards the intended recipients and that bugs me. It is always good to look into any charity before donating. I am not able to donate my hair because it has been dyed, however, if it were not, and I got bored with having long hair, I would certainly consider it.

leslissocool
May 25th, 2011, 06:51 PM
My personal feeling is that there are far worse things you can do than donate hair for a cause. As long as folks go into it with eyes open. The truth is that many charities spend more money on the running of such and not so much goes towards the intended recipients and that bugs me. It is always good to look into any charity before donating. I am not able to donate my hair because it has been dyed, however, if it were not, and I got bored with having long hair, I would certainly consider it.

That's exactly how I feel about it.

If I were you, I would run a sponsorship. Like a dollar for every inch of hair you cut to donate, and then give that money to a charity or a hospital (CHOC saved my kids lives, I donate a lot to them).

jojo
May 25th, 2011, 07:34 PM
its not the donating I am against its not knowing for sure its going to a worthy cause, like Id be afraid they'd sell it to people who want extensions. I don't want to sound selfish, but id know where a kidney was going. I hope I dont come across as a selfish person im not just the stories about LOL put me off.

jeanniet
May 25th, 2011, 07:44 PM
I just wanted to point out that alopecia can be devastating. People get upset when they find out LOL isn't making wigs for kids dying of cancer, but imagine being a teenage girl who's bald because of alopecia. People understand chemo baldness; they don't always understand alopecia. A friend's daughter has had it for a number of years now, and it's a hard thing to go through when you're in your teens and thinking about things like dating and prom. I don't dislike LOL because they make alopecia wigs, but because they're not as upfront as they could be. But I won't knock anyone who wants to donate, as long as they know what they're doing. it's their hair, and if they want to shave their head and hang the hair on bushes for birds to nest with, go for it! :D

Annibelle
May 25th, 2011, 08:19 PM
I just wanted to point out that alopecia can be devastating. People get upset when they find out LOL isn't making wigs for kids dying of cancer, but imagine being a teenage girl who's bald because of alopecia. People understand chemo baldness; they don't always understand alopecia. A friend's daughter has had it for a number of years now, and it's a hard thing to go through when you're in your teens and thinking about things like dating and prom. I don't dislike LOL because they make alopecia wigs, but because they're not as upfront as they could be. But I won't knock anyone who wants to donate, as long as they know what they're doing. it's their hair, and if they want to shave their head and hang the hair on bushes for birds to nest with, go for it! :D

I'm totally with you about alopecia. I actually think it's a MORE worthy cause-- kids with cancer 1.) have more important things to worry about and 2.) their hair will grow back. They'd have to BUY the LOL wigs, anyway, and that money could go toward treatment. Those with alopecia, however, may never have their own hair, so a wig could be much more valuable to them.

ravenreed
May 25th, 2011, 08:28 PM
I think that being bald because of an illness is a bad day all around and I don't begrudge those with alopecia, or anything else, from getting wigs.

trillian
May 25th, 2011, 08:56 PM

I didn't mean to imply that alopecia was anything other than devastating, and I'm sorry if it came across that way. I guess I just think that if the OP wants to donate his/her hair, they should be sure on why they want to donate it, and be OK with the idea that the charity they choose may do something other than the commonly advertised.

Roseate
May 25th, 2011, 09:34 PM
My personal feeling is that there are far worse things you can do than donate hair for a cause. As long as folks go into it with eyes open.

I agree! I donated my hair before coming to LHC, and I'll probably do it again when I'm ready for another major cut (quite a few years in the future). If I'm cutting my hair anyway I might as well let someone try to get some use out of it. It's not doing anyone any good in the trash.

OP: Pantene (http://www.pantene.com/en-us/beautiful-lengths-cause/pages/default.aspx) wants at least 8", virgin hair, no dye or perms/straighteners. Ponytail it or braid it, chop above the elastic and send it in, that's it. Easy enough.

Madora
May 25th, 2011, 09:41 PM
@idc441...

LCHer CAPYBARA can give you many pointers about donating hair. She has donated hers.

About all, avoid Locks of Love. I've heard good things about the Pantene Company donation thingie.

Arya
May 25th, 2011, 09:46 PM
I guess if you want to donate your hair, do it. If you want to keep it on your head, that's fine too. I think everyone has different ways of coping with things, and I admit mine isn't always usual, or what most folks would have chosen. I'm also not trying to encourage all you beautiful folks to crop your manes. I'm just explaining my reasoning for doing so.

That's very noble of you! It's just the fact that there is this societal expectation that if you have long hair you must be growing it to donate. Otherwise why would you have such horrible long hair/be so vain and greedy that you wouldn't cut it for cancer?? It's like...a subtle way of saying 'I think your hair is getting too long', but it does have an effect on you! So I think it's okay to do a little deprogramming when people bring it up, to balance out that opinion. But no worries if you do want to donate, I think it's a great thing, just do it with open eyes and no pressure!

elbow chic
May 25th, 2011, 09:51 PM
I would only bother with it if I were assured that the organization won't throw it directly into the trash. I read that Locks of Love throws away most of the hair it receives.

Do check into the requirements and practices of whatever charity it is before you go to the trouble of growing out/cutting off/mailing off your hair. Personally I'd rather give 25 bucks to something solid, like St. Jude's or the Red Cross. But that's just me.

Mesmerise
May 25th, 2011, 11:21 PM
That's very noble of you! It's just the fact that there is this societal expectation that if you have long hair you must be growing it to donate. Otherwise why would you have such horrible long hair/be so vain and greedy that you wouldn't cut it for cancer?? It's like...a subtle way of saying 'I think your hair is getting too long', but it does have an effect on you! So I think it's okay to do a little deprogramming when people bring it up, to balance out that opinion. But no worries if you do want to donate, I think it's a great thing, just do it with open eyes and no pressure!

It's so vain to not cut your hair! I mean "normal" people get their hair cut every 6 to 8 weeks... and of course...that's not vain... I mean... yeah :rolleyes:

What I want to know is... why doesn't EVERYONE grow their hair just to donate it! I mean... long hairs are expected to donate, so shouldn't it be expected that all those short hairs give up their short and not-vain hair (LOL) and grow it once in awhile for donation!

Now all that said, I think donating is absolutely fine!! Whether it goes to someone with alopecia or someone with cancer is perfectly okay too (I mean...lots of kids with cancer grow their hair back again, while those with alopecia are often stuck with being bald indefinitely). If you want to donate your hair, just do your research and make sure it'll get used! Better yet... SELL your hair and donate the proceeds to cancer research or a charity of your choice. That way at least you'll be assured that the hair's getting used and so is the money.

Roseate
May 25th, 2011, 11:26 PM
Better yet... SELL your hair and donate the proceeds to cancer research or a charity of your choice. That way at least you'll be assured that the hair's getting used and so is the money.

I have considered this for my next chop; a friend got a quote for her hair and it was a considerable sum, that would be a nice donation and would avoid any chance of waste.

reneemichelle
May 25th, 2011, 11:52 PM
Someone close to me recently raised $1700 through sponsors (mostly friends and family) for a 'Cops for Cancer' event by shaving her head; mind you her hair was not quite shoulder length in the first place so donating length was not an option. If you are going to donate your hair you should try to get sponsored to do so, that way you will have more control over where at least part of your donation ends up.