PDA

View Full Version : Blowdrying 1-3x week?

xcrunr2go
May 25th, 2011, 09:08 AM
How bad is blowdrying hair if the proper products & technique is used? I got really great growth when I was blowdrying at this rate......most of the time I would damp updo though.

spidermom
May 25th, 2011, 09:24 AM
I don't know. I was blow-drying less than that, carefully and only with warm to cool air, but was seeing a lot more split ends than I wanted. My blow-dryer broke last month, so now I can see if the condition of my hair improves. I hope so!

Becky Safari
May 25th, 2011, 09:41 AM
If you like it then alternate cold with warm air, but not hot. Also don't use a brush as you dry it, the hairs are still damp and fragile. Don't forget the protectant, either!

Madora
May 25th, 2011, 01:40 PM
Blowdrying is not worth the risk.

You can dry your hair in 20 minutes ..easily, unless you have very porous hair. Curlies have to take extra precautions when detangling..but if I had curly hair I'd rather take my time detangling with partially damp curls than with a blow fryer!

My hair is 42" inches and moderately thick. Takes me 20 minutes outside and 45 minutes indoors, standing 3 feet from an electric portable heater.

Some members do use blow fryers..but on very low temperatures with a diffuser..and have to put something on their hair to protect it from the blow fryer.

Why go to all that bother?

xcrunr2go
May 25th, 2011, 02:36 PM
My hair is at a stage where it's not long enough for protective styling but it's not short enough to just wear it down so I have to use little baby clips & barrettes. It would be nice to create a Posh Spice hairstyle that looked good for work you know like a style style. I suppose I could get it cut that way. I do miss styling my hair as I got pretty good at it.....

jojo
May 25th, 2011, 04:28 PM
I only blow dry my fringe, my length just for length shots say once a month on a cool setting. But to be honest it wouldnt take that much longer to air dry if you use a towel to blot the excess water out.

Coan-Teen
May 25th, 2011, 04:38 PM
I blow dry occasionally. Maybe once or twice a week to speed drying. I don't personally notice much damage from it, but my hair is also fairly short and I tend to dislike it because my crown frizzes more with blow drying.

I think you can certainly expect to get continued growth but the raw fact of the matter is that blow drying can and does damage hair. It's just a question of whether or not that's worth it to you. You can always blow dry now and when your hair is long dust off the damage. Really it's up to you but there is no magical technique to avoid damage altogether. It's just a choice. Some people have very little damage from blow drying. I tend to be one of them. My hair is pretty strong when it comes to damaging things. :)

I don't know if that was really what you were looking for, but in summation, blow drying isn't necessarily a death sentence for long hair. You can still grow through and with it. You should just pay attention and try to gauge how your hair reacts to it.

einna
May 25th, 2011, 05:19 PM
I dont think there is a universal answer, it will depend on the quality and texture of your hair. As Conan-Teen said: Pay attention and see =)

spidermom
May 25th, 2011, 05:30 PM
Oh my goodness Madora, it takes my hair HOURS to air dry. On a hot summer day, it might take an hour, but otherwise I'm looking at multiple hours of wet hair hanging all over me.

Wavelength
May 25th, 2011, 06:33 PM
I just put my hair up in a bun right out of the shower, and a couple hours later I put it in a loose braid since I like braid waves. But I take my showers early in the evening, so my hair has plenty of time to dry reasonably well. I don't mind sleeping on slightly damp hair as long as it's contained (usually in a braid or sleep bun, and I use coconut oil on the ends).

Tends to be much softer the next day when I do that, too.

Kristamommyx3
May 25th, 2011, 08:10 PM
My biggest faux pas was blow drying. Since I joined LHC and became detected to healthy hair, I've cut back substantially. Now, I only blow dry if I need my hair to look good immediately for something I have to go to, or if my scalp is getting itchy from too many days in a row of being damp. I also bought a new, more expensive ionic dryer that dries in less time and has cool medium and hot, and I keep in on warm.

sweetestpoison
May 25th, 2011, 09:05 PM
[COLOR=#8b0000]Some members do use blow fryers..but on very low temperatures with a diffuser..and have to put something on their hair to protect it from the blow fryer.

Why go to all that bother?

I see too many posts on here of people against blow fryers. I can understand not wanting to damage your hair but if your hair is unruly and extremely frizzy without some form of heat styling then showing it off isn't nearly as fun. I don't use one now because i am protecting my hair in order to grow it but once it's at the length i want i can afford to trim 1/4 inch a month if i need to.. but that's just my opinion. I say if you aren't trying to grow your hair out then go for it and be sure to protect it. When i was heat styling mine every day i didn't notice damage for months after a trim!

GourmetChica
May 31st, 2011, 01:11 AM
I blow dry on cool a couple of times per week, which really isn't cool but maybe 90 degrees, with a ceramic ionic Babyliss. I use a heat protectant, and I always keep the dryer moving, and keep it a few inches away from my hair. My hair is BSL, and is completely dry in 5 minutes.

I think it's all about using good technique and products. Prior to this year I never used a heat protectant and had an old drugstore dryer and I did have damage from it, but not anymore.

sunnydays
May 31st, 2011, 03:01 AM
I have curly hair and I would highlight and blow dry mine and i went from neck length when straightened (naughty) to bra strap length curly ie mid back when straight in 2 years and that was with regular trims by my scissor happy hairdressers, so depending on condition is not that bad. i dont think personally.