PDA

View Full Version : follicle pain after ponytail

xcrunr2go
May 25th, 2011, 07:00 AM
I put my very short hair into a ponytail for the 1st time in months & after I took it down the follices hurt...ouch! Anybody else get this? Why did they hurt? Is it bad to pony the hair?

CrystalStar
May 25th, 2011, 07:12 AM
I get this when I bun sometimes! I think it's the hair pulling at the scalp.. The only solution I have is to re-make the bun and it pulls less!

Dorothy
May 25th, 2011, 07:42 AM
I get this every time I wear my hair up all day and then take it down - I call it bun pain. I don't know that it's damaging, it just seems like I've made all my follicles point in a new direction for a long time and then released them. It goes away in 10 minutes or so.

It may have something to do with the fact that my hair is super slippery and has to be secured pretty tightly to stay up.

vintage88
May 25th, 2011, 07:59 AM
I get this too, I think its because my hair is so thick and heavy when I wear it up, so it pulls down with the weight of my bun/ponytail

curlymarcia
May 25th, 2011, 08:31 AM
I feel the same pain when I take off my pineapple every morning. My hair is fine, thin and is very light.

jojo
May 25th, 2011, 08:50 AM
It sounds like your doing your pony too tight, be careful with this as it can cause traction alopecia overtime. If your hair is very short but there is some that will go up try a claw clip until it can comfortably go up.

I get headaches sometimes but my hair can feel very heavy in a bun sometimes, so I just adjust the bun so its lower down and more spread out.

Lilli
May 25th, 2011, 08:52 AM
I get this with almost any updo or ponytail, which is why I rarely wear them.

heatherovka
May 25th, 2011, 09:44 AM
I get that, sometimes badly, when I put my hair up in a direction it isn't used to laying in. I don't pull it too tight. It just isn't used to going that way and it objects. :) I wish I knew how to prevent that pain, or ease it.

xcrunr2go
May 25th, 2011, 09:45 AM
Ya it was with the hair going in the opposite direction of growth. I'll make sure not to pull it in an awkward position too tightly from now on. Traction Alopecia just sounds awful!

Chetanlaiho
May 25th, 2011, 09:46 AM
I get this from a lot of up-dos, also from braiding my hair too often in a row or switching styles in too short a time, it sucks but so far the only thing I've found to help is a less tight 'do.

Anje
May 25th, 2011, 10:38 AM
Yep, too tight or in the wrong direction can cause it for me as well. For me, the only way to really get the pain from a wrong-direction follicle ache to go away is to get my scalp wet.

HairFaerie
May 25th, 2011, 10:44 AM
Yup. When I had BSL, I couldn't wear updos at all. Bad headache and my follicles/scalp hurt!
I could do a very loose ponytail or braid at bedtime, but that's it. No "real" updos, buns or high ponytails or anything like that.
I guess some people's follicles are just more sensitive than others.

celebriangel
May 25th, 2011, 06:45 PM
I get this if I try to actually make a parting that isn't my natural part (for the most part I just let my hair down, and it falls into a left-of-centre parting). Pain! People have told me that it's good to switch up your parting, but I suspect that more applies if you actually make a parting or do any styling.