PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using Shea Butter?

Keepitgrowing29
May 24th, 2011, 10:33 PM
I bought some Shea Butter a couple of days ago to use as my night conditioning treatment. I oil the length of my hair, gather my hair into two braids, securing the ends with hair friendly pony tail holders and cover my hair with a silk bonnet. I have used it a couple of times now and so far it's working a lot better for me than the coconut oil. Anyone have experience using Shea Butter on their hair long term? I am using Alaffia Handcrafted Shea Butter Savanna Spice :afro:

Side Note: My hair is Naturally Wavy...Semi Curly (what appears to be corkscrew curls), course hair. I have a bit of heat trained hair (will have to measure amount). Creole hair

Goal: CLH, No Heat, wear hair up for 6 months

shikara
May 25th, 2011, 01:18 AM
Unfortunately, shea butter was not a good idea for my hair - once was more than enough!! It's wonderful if it's working for you though. Finding the right stuff for our hair is very rewarding (especially since trying the wrong things can be so darn frustrating:eyebrows:

Java
May 26th, 2011, 05:26 AM
I have been using Shea Butter and Nut Oil on the length. I think it protects it. Some information I saw here recently was saying that olive oil penetrates the hair, avocado soaks the medium layer, and shea protects the cuticle if I remember right. I know I am missing some information on that.
So I have been using coconut for my deep oil, avocado for my middle oil and shea as the coat, and I love how slippery and moisturized my hair feels from it. I don't mind soaking my hair in oils because I wash and sometimes clarify daily.

bella77
May 26th, 2011, 05:46 AM
I rub shea butter into the ends of my hair when I braid for sleep. I love the way it coats it and makes it so smooth!

CastaDiva
May 26th, 2011, 05:53 AM
I have tried Shea Butter several times but it always makes my hair unelieveably stiff and tangly:( Don`t know why.

SpinDance
May 26th, 2011, 06:49 AM
I've used it some, mostly as pre-wash treatments. These days I mostly use it as part of the base of my hand/skin "lotion" (various oils including Shea and coconut). My hair is liking Panacea and coconut oil best. I'm still working on increasing moisture and interior oil content, so sealing with Shea butter isn't one of my current goals. I may try it again at some point, though.

bella77
May 27th, 2011, 02:34 PM
I must say the shea butter I use is from CV and it's a whipped shea mixed with grapeseed, jojoba and a few other delicious items. It washes out fairly easy with just conditioner. I use it on the ends and as an deep oil before washes.

Keepitgrowing29
May 31st, 2011, 02:44 PM
I must say the shea butter I use is from CV and it's a whipped shea mixed with grapeseed, jojoba and a few other delicious items. It washes out fairly easy with just conditioner. I use it on the ends and as an deep oil before washes.

I must say that your hair appears to be extremely healthy and shiny. Thanks bella77.

88Marisa
June 11th, 2011, 03:59 AM
I use the unscented alaffia shea butter on my face as a moisturizer and I love it. I don't oil my ends though.

LunaMoon
June 11th, 2011, 04:24 AM
I really love Shea butter. I use for my hair, scalp and for my skin.
I have a very sensitive scalp and skin and Shea butter is helping a lot.
For my hair, I can mix 50/50 coconut oil and Shea butter, works great and is easier to use.
Sometimes I mix the 50/50 mix I already have in a jar with my no-coney conditioning.
For me, Shea butter is one of the best treatments I could find for my hair, but my hair is fine and everything on the ends as a leave in makes it heavy and straight – I can notice the parts of my hair with and without Shea butter.
I like to wash it after a night treatment or I put in my scalp and hair 1 hour (sometimes more) after washing.

Copasetic
June 11th, 2011, 05:18 AM
I have been using shea butter for a little while now. It works better on my hair than coconut oil. I put some on my hair at night, and I get really nice soft shiny hair in the morning. My only issue with it is the smell. I don't like it at all. Fortunately, it works so well for me that I am willing to deal with a smell that doesn't appeal to me.

charalito
June 11th, 2011, 11:34 AM
I've been experimenting with Fox's Shea Butter Conditioning Cream, which is (of course) shea butter based. It has really improved the condition of my dry ends when applied over damp hair.

Here's a thread about it (http://www.longhaircommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4586), and the recipe:
2 parts unrefined shea butter
1 part coconut oil
2 parts conditioner

pittsburgpam
June 11th, 2011, 11:46 AM
I have used shea butter the night before washing, braid my hair, and then extra oil the ends. I got out of doing it for awhile and just started again. Don't know why I stopped, it is SO soft and silky when I do that.

I also use almond oil at other times along with a leave-in conditioner.

Deborah
June 11th, 2011, 12:56 PM
If my ends seem a little dry, I stroke a tiny amount of shea nut butter on the bottom 6 - 12 inches right after washing, and while the hair is still pretty wet. It works WAY better than coconut oil for me. The shea nut butter never leaves my hair feeling oily, just nice and soft.

Melisande
June 11th, 2011, 01:39 PM
Thank you for bringing up Fox´recipe. It´s wonderful!!! One of my absolute favorites.