PDA

View Full Version : Becoming addicted to self haircuts. :)

agoddess2die4
May 24th, 2011, 07:56 PM
It's only been a little over a month since I first cut my hair, but I found myself today cutting it yet again. I took about 2-3 inches off the length! My hair was a little past BSL I think and reaching waist (what I want) but I was getting frustrated with it because the last four inches or so keep getting tangled and get tons of split ends (where the last of my colored hair ends). It's crazy because there's barely a color difference to my hair because it was dyed to match, but I can definitely feel a difference! Had no idea what a difference not dying my hair for almost two years can do.

I had to cut some insane layers (up to shoulder) last month to even out poorly chopped layers from a stylist last year, but now that those are evened out I'm planning on only cutting a slightly less deep V each time (and ignoring layers except for S&D), taking more and more of the length and less off the front until it's less dramatic and the layers start getting long. In the process cutting out the last of my color. I was originally planning on only doing it every so often, but now I'm getting scissor happy and might start doing some microtrims in the the meantime! haha.

Anyone else start getting crazy about self-trims after a lifetime of bad stylists cuts making you a little gun shy (or rather "scissor shy")? I'm loving how I can just go into the bathroom and make my hair feel so much better with a quick trim instead of agonizing over having to go to a salon and pay out for something I never end up liking.

edit: A second reason for cutting off some length was graduation and job hunting. So many places seem to think it's less professional to have long hair and the cut took me from the longest layers curling around my chest in the front to just above them, about the longest I've gotten before I start being questioned in the "real" world. *rolls eyes*

ALYSSA
May 24th, 2011, 10:28 PM
hahaha well as long as your happy with your cut thats whats important. i can get scissor happy too . but mainly with S&D its very time consuming and (for me) entertaining! i feel i aacoplished a small victor every time i cut one of those suckers off hehe. people in the "real" world were questioning you for your hair almost reaching waist/ i want to start job hunting soon and im around hip length. do you think this will stop me from getting a job?

Mesmerise
May 24th, 2011, 11:17 PM
If you're happy it's great! If you're starting to cut off more than you want, though... it's probably time to curb that cutting!

I went a wee bit scissor happy a couple of months ago, but not to too great an extent. However, I've now firmly put the scissors away and I'm not trimming again until JULY!

However, the other day I even dreamed about self trimming lol... it was so satisfying!

Dina L.
May 25th, 2011, 01:49 AM
Haha, now you can understand why hairdressers LOVE to cut a lot from our hair! :))))

Debra83
May 25th, 2011, 01:52 AM
BE VERY CAREFUL!!!! or you'll end up in my boat!!!!

I had to hide my scissors. I'd probably be goal length by now. sigh.

Guenhwyvar
May 25th, 2011, 03:05 AM
I always cut my own, just so there are no dry ends or eventually layers. I did have a very thin bottom layer, so long that it got to the right length way before the rest. I dont trust hair dressers so I have been trying to cut it myself now. I think the layers and the fact that I cut it at the front give me the deep V. I like it, but it is a pain for hair styles as it gets thinner as it gets longer (noticeable on braids).

Phalaenopsis
May 25th, 2011, 05:08 AM
Oh yes, it's addicting! I also have to set boundaries to not cut now. It's so freeing, not being indepent of a hairdresser.

Firefox7275
May 25th, 2011, 05:59 AM
I'm in the "if it's badly damaged cut it off" camp, it gets me down if my ends are catching or looking straggly or feel rough. If you use an up-do for interviews, potential employers don't have to know how long your hair is. ;)

jojo
May 25th, 2011, 06:18 AM
I have been in the past but since my fringe, i just obsess about that and the length gets left alone!

JuliaDancer
May 25th, 2011, 07:46 AM
I agree with Firefox. If you wear updos to the interviews, your potential employers won't know how long your hair is. Just do something simple, so it doesn't look like it took you hours to do it. That could be a distraction.

torrilin
May 25th, 2011, 08:11 AM
i want to start job hunting soon and im around hip length. do you think this will stop me from getting a job?

I've never had a human resources person make the slightest bit of fuss about my hair. Pull it back into a neat (minimal wispies) and plain style. That way you look neat, tidy and professional. Your clothes should be a solid step or two more conservative than the people who do the hiring. Sexy and pretty aren't really appropriate at work anyway, so it's not like it's a big deal.

Whatever you use to fasten your updo should be really unobtrusive too. A large hair fork or a sparkly Flexi-8 wouldn't be a good idea.

This goes even if you're looking for a job where being fashionable and creative about clothes is essential, like managing a clothing store. Even for a low end job like working in a fast food place it makes a difference. If you come in with your hair neatly pulled back, they will just assume that of course you can make a hair net or hat work, and of course you'll care that food preparation needs to be sanitary. For something more professional, like working in a law office... they won't say anything. But you'll likely find somehow you're not getting callbacks if you don't dress like a female lawyer.

It's not much fun, but jobhunting never is.