PDA

View Full Version : How much discomfort is safe from a bun or a braid?

Venefica
May 24th, 2011, 06:12 PM
Ok I have heard horror stories of people having buns so tight that they literary rip the hair right out of their scalps. I do not have my bunts very tight, but I often have a bit sensitive scalp and often there is a bit of discomfort when I just have put a bun up and at the end of the day. Now I have to have my hair in a bun or a braid both to protect it and to keep it out of my way, but I was wondering how much discomfort is safe from a bun and when do it become a sign that you have a to tight bun and are potentially harming your hair?

jojo
May 24th, 2011, 06:39 PM
If you feel discomfort your doing something wrong or maybe trying to fit your hair into a style its not long enough to do yet. I can honestly say ive never experienced any discomfort at all in any updo or braid.

Venefica
May 24th, 2011, 06:42 PM
My hair is long enough for the up does, it is however very heavy so the weight of it really pulls on the scalp. Thank you for your advice.

UltraBella
May 24th, 2011, 07:00 PM
I am with jojo on this one, if it is causing you discomfort and is really pulling on the scalp, something is wrong. Wrong type of updo for your hair, wrong placement on your head, etc.
I have a very sensitive scalp and I honestly don't know anyone in real life who has thicker or heavier hair than I do - but the right bun, braid or updo will not cause me discomfort or feel like it is pulling. I have had to experiment with placement to get it right, I can wear my bun for two days straight and not feel a thing !

Venefica
May 24th, 2011, 07:48 PM
Thank you for the advice. It is not like it really hurts, but it is a little uncomfortable. I have never found an updo however that do not cause this. I have never been able to wear my hair in a bun for several days at a time either for my hair have a tendency to escape the bun after a while. :P

Madora
May 24th, 2011, 11:03 PM
To avoid discomfort, you should section your hair and distribute the weight of your bun!

Never pull it back tightly. Very bad for the delicate front and side hairs.

A 2 braid bun is a lot easier on the head than one braid because the weight is distributed more evenly. One braid requires more pins and is heavier to hold up. Two braid buns are easier to wear because the weight is distributed over a wider area of the scalp. (one braid is wrapped around the ponytail holder clockwise. The other braid is wrapped around the braided bun COUNTERCLOCKwISE).

You can also do the style with 2 hair twists..or in the RoseBun method, or with 2 sections of hair just twisted and put into a bun. The possibilities are endless!

Buns/braids should never hurt! If they do, it may be due to excessive pulling back of the hair which can really hurt your scalp if your follicles are not accustomed to being pulled in that way.

Also, if you pull back your hair tightly into a ponytail, that is putting way too much stress on your strands..and with repeated use, can lead to traction alopecia..something you definitely DON'T want!

Guenhwyvar
May 25th, 2011, 02:00 AM
I can get some hairs pulling painfully when I do an updo, I do wonder if leaving it down is sometimes safer? I do have a very sensitive scalp.

vanity_acefake
May 25th, 2011, 02:20 AM
I know your pain.
As the others have said it's just a case of fiddling till you find a way that causes no discomfort.