PDA

View Full Version : help for hair loss!

smilelads
June 18th, 2008, 10:04 PM
I've always had waist length hair, except I've not cut it since fall '06 so it's down to my bottom...but within the last year after moving, my hair has begun falling out so horribly that my once in thick/wild curly hair to the tips has been reduced to thin strands at the ends.
I've had an eating disorder for 6 years (I'm 18 now) but it wasn't til I was trying to recover that this happened. My eating behaviors are pretty much normal, except I'm still a vegetarian, but my hair keeps falling out. Is this a normal shedding stage, or am I not getting certain vitamins or what? It makes me so sad I want to cry when I have to comb or fix my hair!! I don't know what to do :(

Missie
June 18th, 2008, 10:07 PM
I am so sorry this is happening to you.. please keep eating a healthy diet and drinking lots of water and if possible, low stress. I hope this is just going to be a short period of shedding and lots of strong re-growth happening..

chrissy-b
June 19th, 2008, 11:27 AM
It may be a shedding phase, it may be your body adjusting to your new eating habits, it may be breakage, it could be stress from moving to a new city. It's hard to say w/o knowing your routine.

I would check shed hairs to see if they are really shed hairs or breakage. If they're breakage there are a lot of things you can do to help that (search the boards, you'll find loads of info). It could be your natural shedding phase or possibly your body isn't assimilating the nutrients from your new eating habits.

I would baby your hair as much as possible, search the boards for info on proper techniques and if the shedding continues or gets worse definitely see a doctor. Good luck and keep a positive attitude...it will get better!!

yldchyld
June 19th, 2008, 11:48 AM
severe hair loss can indicate a serious medical problem. I would definitely see a doctor.