PDA

View Full Version : Is this thinning or normal? (pic heavy)

monsterna
May 24th, 2011, 06:07 PM
Sorry the pics are a little big and there are so many!

I've been shedding a lot and my hair's been breaking a lot easier lately. I think it's due to too much protein (I think my hair hates it), but I also used Monistat anywhere from 2-4 days a week for the past 5 months. I don't recall anyone having this problem though on the Monistat thread.

Anyway, I feel like my hair looks thinner, although I can't be sure if it's always been like that and I'm only noticing it because it's getting longer now. Please let me know if you think it's abnormally thin or if you have ever experienced anything like this. My scalp often hurts now with updos and just feels like it's being pulled on. Even sometimes I feel like that when it's just hanging freely. Is this also a side effect of hair getting longer? It's only APL....

ETA: In these pics I think my hair is a tiny bit greasy looking due to CO almost 24 hours ago with a pretty heavy conditioner. Don't know if that makes a bit of difference.

My natural yet wonky part:
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y98/meganownsyou/GEDC9179.jpg

Close to how I part it:
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y98/meganownsyou/GEDC9180.jpg

Slightly pulled back right:
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y98/meganownsyou/GEDC9181.jpg

Pulled back a bit harsher:
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y98/meganownsyou/GEDC9182.jpg

Same for left:
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y98/meganownsyou/GEDC9185.jpg

Letting it hang on its own over the side:
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y98/meganownsyou/GEDC9193.jpg

Overhead:
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y98/meganownsyou/GEDC9197.jpg

Middle part:
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y98/meganownsyou/GEDC9199.jpg

Mesmerise
May 24th, 2011, 06:19 PM
Honestly, it is sort of hard to tell... and you have to remember that what's normal for one person is different to another.

To me it looks a bit thin... actually it looks like my scalp lol and yes, I spend a bit of time peering at my scalp and trying to work out if my hair is thinning or is it normal too!

I don't see it in your normal part, but when you pull your hair back to the side a bit, it looks somewhat thin...BUT again it's hard to tell properly because a lot of detail is missing from photos that you can see in real life. I often wonder if I only notice my scalp more now because I'm looking for it, and because I'm still paranoid after massive shedding last year (most of the new hair seems to have come back in, but there are areas where the hair DEFINITELY looks thin).

What is your circumference and are you noticing it changing?? Unfortunately I don't know what my circ was before I started measuring this year, so I can only speculate on what it would be if I hadn't suffered any hair loss. However, if you feel you are shedding more than normal, it would probably be a good idea to keep measuring your circumference, as well as looking to see if in the thinner areas there is new regrowth.

Personally, I haven't used monistat (or Daktarin) because I'm a little concerned putting something like that on my scalp, and am worried it could cause further shedding. If I were to use it, I'd definitely do it diluted.

Venefica
May 24th, 2011, 06:20 PM
Your hair do not look abnormally thin. One way to measure it to see if it is getting thinner is to do a ponytail and take a measuring ribbon and measure around the ponytail, note your result and then measure again in some weeks or a month. The only think I noticed about your scalp is that it was a bit red, perhaps you should see a doctor and ask about that. I do not think it is anything dangerous, but often doctors can prescribe products that help with a red and sore scalp.

RocketDog
May 24th, 2011, 06:21 PM
that's what my hair looks like when held/parted the same way, and it has looked the same as far back as I can remember. Of course, if you are noticing this now and your hair didn't look like that before, I would be suspicious of something going on, but for someone as genetically unlucky as myself, that's just how my hair looks.

christine1989
May 24th, 2011, 06:29 PM
That looks normal to me- at least that is how my hair looks when I part it and run my fingers through it. I think the illusion of thinning could be a combination of gaining length as well as CO washing. Personally, I find that CO washing too much weighs my hair down making it look flatter and thinner and since your hair looks quite a bit finer than mine I can see how this could add to the illusion of thinning. I agree with everyone above on using ponytail circumfrence to measure thickness since that is the most reliable. You should probobly do it on freshly shampooed hair too so oil and residue won't throw your measurements off.

bumblebums
May 24th, 2011, 06:34 PM
It doesn't look abnormally thin to me, but you have to keep track of it yourself in some objective way. For example, take pictures of your length on the same day of the wash cycle and wearing the same shirt, which will make thinning noticeable. And measure your ponytail circumference if you want to be sure.

jojo
May 24th, 2011, 06:38 PM
My hair looks the same but its not got no thinner, its just me!

monsterna
May 24th, 2011, 06:51 PM
Thanks for all your comments so far! :) I am trying not to freak out. I have OCD too (more mental than physical obsessions), and so once I get an idea in my head, it's hard to let it go on my own.

Going to stop CO. I had been shampooing a bit within these past few weeks, because CO was making my hair look greasier on top, but I think I'm going to go back to shampoo and conditioner and see how it goes.

Kristamommyx3
May 24th, 2011, 07:02 PM
That's just our hair! I went through this same thing a few years back. I suddeny took notice that my scalp looked thinner, and obsessed about it to myself for months. Then one day I saw a picture of my hairline up close from high school, and it was exactly the same! Just our fine hair doing what it does best, looking fine.:D

happybear
May 24th, 2011, 07:14 PM
K it is hard to tell, particularly in that lighting. Your hair looks thin to me but not thinning. for thinning I think there would be certain areas that are thinner than others, your hair looks pretty uniform. Though looking in the right light is important, try natural lighting, particularly in full sunlight, that's how I found my thin spots.

But I think you are ok, and the more you obsess about it, the more it will seem like it is thinning, so don't worry

vanillabones
May 24th, 2011, 07:19 PM
My hair is that thin too, if not even thinner looking :) I think you're okay.

alyanna
May 24th, 2011, 07:39 PM
Your hair looks like it's in its natural state. It's not thick hair, but I definitely don't think it's thinning. Thinning hair has a different look to it, especially at the top, around the center part.

Yours looks normal, not patchy or uneven around the part. So I think you're ok too ;)

P.S. I'm speaking from personal experience!

agoddess2die4
May 24th, 2011, 08:00 PM
It does look kind of thin, but it would only be thinning if it didn't used to show so much scalp. My hair is the same way and it would freak me out sometimes because I was convinced my hair was thinning, but no...it's just that thin. I tend to be wary of anything that has tight parts because I show too much scalp, and it's very noticeable against my dark hair.

Mesmerise
May 24th, 2011, 08:42 PM
Thanks for all your comments so far! :) I am trying not to freak out. I have OCD too (more mental than physical obsessions), and so once I get an idea in my head, it's hard to let it go on my own.

Going to stop CO. I had been shampooing a bit within these past few weeks, because CO was making my hair look greasier on top, but I think I'm going to go back to shampoo and conditioner and see how it goes.

You know, you are probably like me and just overly paranoid!! I keep looking at my hairline at the front and thinking it's really thin...but then again it could just be normal and I wouldn't have a clue!! I also get really paranoid about stuff and worry worry worry over it even though it's probably nothing at all.

Peter
May 24th, 2011, 08:48 PM
Your hair looks very much like mine from all those different angles. And you know how much hair I have. :D

Unless your hair looked noticeably different a few weeks/months ago, I wouldn't worry.

Dark Queen
May 24th, 2011, 09:07 PM
Mine actually looks a lot like that too. I think we're okay, at least I hope so :o. I agree with everyone saying to keep track of it. Either way, you look pretty :)

Sundial
May 24th, 2011, 11:00 PM
Do you have a "before" picture from when you were not COing or from before you noticed this thinning problem?

I'm asking because everyone's hair is different and I don't want to be commenting out of context so it will be nice to see what you had before :p at least we will have a yardstick to go by

templeofvenus
May 25th, 2011, 01:42 AM
my hair looks a bit like that when scraped back and I obsess too :( I think we fine haired ladies just have to realise thats what longer fine hair looks like!! when hair is shorter in a bob and blow dried etc it looks more full and thick (personal experience) but in reality when longer and air dried etc it looks more fine and the scalp seems more visible when its pulled back, but to be honest I bet it has always been like that and you just haven't been thinking about it in the past. Too much conditioner can weigh down fine hair though it does with mine maybe try just conditioning on the ends.

oktobergoud
May 25th, 2011, 04:23 AM
It looks just like my scalp!
I can't tell if it's thinning or not. With me, it's been like that my whole life, I think. I think if it is thinning, there should be a difference! Was it different first, fuller?

Teazel
May 25th, 2011, 06:10 AM
It looks very much like my hair/scalp too, and I've been obsessing for years that it's thinning. :grouphug:

monsterna
May 25th, 2011, 07:19 AM
Thanks everyone! :grouphug:

I don't have any pics of me pulling my hair back purposefully from before LHC, unfortunately. I'm sure I could find some accidental ones somewhere, though.

My circumference is still 2.5" which I think is where it was a few months back.

I am not sure if it's always been like this. I imagine it's only because it's starting to get longer, I'm air drying it, and I've just not paid attention to it much before. I hope so, at least!

Fufu
May 25th, 2011, 10:57 AM
It looks normal to me.

do you experience increase of hair shedding? If not it's normal.