PDA

View Full Version : Curlies how do you style your hair?

cheetahfast
May 24th, 2011, 03:00 PM
I have frizzy curly hair. My biggest issue is the frizz. I want to try something more natural to style it with and hated gel. I used oscar blandi pronto gloss for a while, but stopped since it isn't natural at all and a bit pricey. Perhaps, coconut oil would work.

Any suggestions?

What do you guys use?

virgo75
May 24th, 2011, 03:18 PM
I use conditioner to style. That or leave-in conditioner.
Kind of like the "tightly curly" method seen here: http://www.tightlycurly.com/welcome But I don't do it exactly how she does it(too time consuming for me). So I either use regular conditioner or leave-in on my hair when 50%-75% dry. I'll either wear my hair "curly"- just out how it dries normally or put into 1 or 2 braids to dry that way.

Gels have never worked for me and leave my hair dry and poofy by the end of the day.

Best of luck with your hair. :flower:

abritta3
May 24th, 2011, 04:08 PM
I use the Curly Girl method. To sum it up: No shampoo but a cleanser, Conditioners withOUT silicones, parabens, sulfates, etc. *similar to most LHCers*

In the shower I use Deva Curl No-Poo as my cleanser, GVP Conditioning Balm (from Sally Beauty Supply) as my conditioner. I actually leave in about 70% of the conditioner.

When I get out of the shower, I tilt my head over and start to scrunch out the water which also scrunches out the extra conditioner.

I then apply Deva Curl's B'Leave-In (a curl booster/volumizer), Deva Curl's ArcAngel (my version which is 1/2 cup of the gel combined with 1cup of water that I boiled, a capful of EVOO and some honey. I poured this into a spray bottle instead of having to touch my hair to apply it).
If I still need even more hold I use DevaCurl's Set Up&Above which is a pomade type styler.

I have used other gels/products too but DevaCurl is what I mainly use right now.
I went for a long time just Co-washing with Suave or VO5 conditioners and using jojoba oil or coconut oil as my only "product/styler" but I found I wasn't getting enough definition in the curls.

Hope this helps:p

cheetahfast
May 25th, 2011, 05:15 AM
Thanks guys! I think I try some leave-in some conditioner after the next time I wash my hair. I used to use a method like that until a girl in high school told me you never leave conditioner in your hair (hers was pin straight).

What's the difference between a shampoo and a cleanser? My shampoo is SLS free and has oil in it. My current conditioner is good to use, without the things listed.

Firefox7275
May 25th, 2011, 05:29 AM
No functional difference between a shampoo and a cleanser, but the latter is a good blanket term when your audience may be using sulphate-free shampoo OR conditioner to wash their hair. I am getting encouraging results with CO-wash (Inecto Coconut conditioner) and leave-in conditioner (Fructis Triple Nutrition conditioner). If you want a non-gel styling product you could try a curl defining cream.

Are you brushing, combing or finger styling your hair? Also how dry is your hair when you try to styling it? I've learned the hard way how much difference these two make to frizz. You may find these links helpful :)
http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/general-discussion-about-curly-hair/47609-post-your-before-after-cg-pics.html
http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/general-discussion-about-curly-hair/112371-techniques-links-supersoaker-spritz-condish-plopping-frizz-clipping-icequeen-etc.html