PDA

View Full Version : Tightly Curly Method.

Adrienne
May 24th, 2011, 02:12 PM
Has anyone tried it? today I am doing a varriation of it that I made up, lol, that is Co wash. Apply Con. again and leave it in my hair, and put gel on top.

So my hair is still white, maybe it is the gel? making it stay white like this?

Becuase According to Terri on her website....the white will disaper? I am not seeing disapearence..............................

However today I am feeling a little bit bold. Learning the Hardway that we only have on life to live and that our time on this earth is precious. So right now. today. being out in public with white con. Hair is not a big deal. however. all that being said.

When WILL it disaper?

if anyone uses this method, how long does it take, generally?

knottynutter
May 24th, 2011, 02:30 PM
I've been using the tightly curly method for about a month or so now and I'll swear by it! My hair is much happier, I cannot believe the change. I've not had to use any styling products since, I just make sure I braid my hair at night then in the morning use a little water and conditioner and it's as good as new. It may be the gel that's causing the white. Have you tried it without? Also I'm sure there's something in her FAQ part that is about using gel along with the technique. I can't remember exactly what she said though :confused:

knottynutter
May 24th, 2011, 02:37 PM
Sorry, just realised you'd laready consulted the FAQ part *smacks head*
I haven't noticed any white in my hair, what conditioner are you using? I use Nature's Gate. I CO wash first then, plaster it on while my hair is soaking wet, comb through, soak excess off with a towel and then push up my curls with my hands or use the plopping method. I noticed a big improvement after the first couple of washes with this technique.

virgo75
May 24th, 2011, 03:10 PM
I've used this method(loosely) off and on for years.

I tried it several times exactly how she does it, but it's too time consuming for me. I don't have the patience to do it how she does(brushing and smoothing tiny sections of hair) or wait hours and hours for it to dry.

What I do instead is let my hair dry about 50%-75% then apply some conditioner as a styling product. This holds my curls better than any gel I've used.

I've never tried to do this method with gel. I think that it might not work too well together and thought the main point of the method was to not have to use gel which can be drying?

I've also tried a ton of conditioners and found that it's mainly the coney ones that hold better. The only cone-free conditioners I found that have some hold are the Everyday Shea Conditioner in the giant bottle(I have the lavender one), the Nature's Gate Hemp Conditioner, and Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose. But the last 2(Nature's Gate & Aubrey) gave me really bad buildup so I don't use them anymore.

I'm sorry, but my hair was never left white or with a white cast so I can't help with that.

knottynutter
May 24th, 2011, 03:15 PM
I agree with you on the patience thing Virgo75! I don't separate tiny sections and smooth each one but tend to run my fingers through to separate. It does take hours and hours to dry though!
Maybe I'll try your method of letting it dry a fair bit first! Thank you for that tip Virgo75

Copasetic
May 24th, 2011, 03:19 PM
I tried this method a few times, and it always left my hair looking weighed down and feeling grimy.

virgo75
May 24th, 2011, 03:21 PM
I agree with you on the patience thing Virgo75! I don't separate tiny sections and smooth each one but tend to run my fingers through to separate. It does take hours and hours to dry though!
Maybe I'll try your method of letting it dry a fair bit first! Thank you for that tip Virgo75

Another impatient curly! :lol:

I don't know HOW she can stand to wait for all her hair to dry?! :confused: Maybe her hair dries faster than mine? I'm only APL. I can't imagine having her length and doing that method. I'd go crazy walking around with wet hair for days. lol

You're welcome for the tip. I hope it helps. :flower:

knottynutter
May 24th, 2011, 03:52 PM
Ha ha! True! I don't know how she manages it, my hair is mostly mid back but the longest parts are waist. My hair will take up to 6 hours to dry in the day and at night if I sleep it is STILL wet in the morning?! I suppose I put up with it as my hair is happy and rewards me by not pretending to be Worzel Gummidge's hair double (80's kids program, google the name and you'll see what I mean)

I hope the tip helps too I shall give it a whirl on hair wash day :)

GRU
May 24th, 2011, 04:05 PM
I don't use quite as much conditioner as she does, but I do leave quite a bit on. Basically, it has to get fully dry, however long that takes for your hair.

UltraBella
May 24th, 2011, 04:18 PM
Anyone have a link so I can check this method out ? Please ?!!

GRU
May 24th, 2011, 04:25 PM
Anyone have a link so I can check this method out ? Please ?!!

http://www.tightlycurly.com/welcome

UltraBella
May 24th, 2011, 04:29 PM
Thank you !!!!!!!

GRU
May 24th, 2011, 04:34 PM
Thank you !!!!!!!

You're very welcome, UB!

MandyBeth
May 24th, 2011, 04:44 PM
Well, I'm the only one with straight hair in this house.

DH just shaved his head again, so he'll grow his 4c hair out into locs like always. Then once they get too long to him, shave and repeat. Takes about 5 years, his hair grows insanely fast.

The boys both do NOT want curls at all. They have short hair.

The girl, J, LOVES her curly hair - it's princess hair. Much like GRU's hair. Yeah right, I can't get a 6 y/o to hold still that long to mess around with her hair. She runs around with it loose, I brush it out at night with a Tangle Teezer and braid it, wash it in the am and she's off and running. It's cute. Wild, gets a lot of fluff going on, but it's in decent shape (as good as it's going to get right now), and she likes it, so I do not care. There are issues to fight and there are issues to live with. Hair is an issue to live with. What J likes is what J gets.

Adrienne
May 24th, 2011, 08:52 PM
I will try again, sans gel, and use a lighter touch.....I will probably be back in this thread to post about it.

Adrienne
May 24th, 2011, 08:58 PM
I am terrible afriad of what my hair will look like without gel. I use it almost everyday without fail. even if it's just a little bit. I am trying to get away from it and ween myself off. but at the last min, I will be like well..............Just a teeny bit wont hurt. lol. I probably should'nt have used the gel.

BUT.

it took a few hours, then I saw slight improvment on the whiteness. my family were the only ones that really seemed to notice (they got a good laugh) then I took down my Pony tail and rubbed and rubbed and brushed and tryed to get it to "sink" in. and finally, well it did but it took SEVERAL hours. AND I think I might have been slightly heavy handed with the con.

I used Tigi Catwalk Headshot Reconstructive Intense Conditioner I used Proclaim Curl Activator Gel. For my con wash con that I rinsed out I used, Herbal Essensces 'toussle me softly"

yesterday I tried this same thing and it worked much better, the white was gone in no time, but yesterday my hair was not freshly co washed. it was 2nd day hair, also I was using a jar filled up with various cons. I have no idea excatly what was in it, I have had it forever. when the jar is is almost empty, the remains get sqeezed into the big jar, a real random combination of conditioners in there.

I will try again, sans gel, and use a lighter touch.....I will probably be back in this thread to post about it.

lacefrost
May 24th, 2011, 09:43 PM
I'm pretty sure it's the gel. The idea in the method is to leave only conditioner on your hair. The conditioner will go away. (I've left heaps of conditioner in my hair before and it no one knew) But if you're putting gel on it, you're mixing two things that aren't supposed to go together. That's probably why it's all white.

If you put the condi in your hair and define your hair and leave it alone to dry, the curls will set that way. The condi is mostly for easier detangling and clumping (and a bit of moisture.) The real key is leaving your hair alone for it to dry.

I'd love to see pics!

Raquel29
July 2nd, 2019, 06:28 PM
I have tried this method off and on, sometimes to a T other times in a rush..... when I first started doing the method about 6 years ago my hair was transitioning and this method didnt work at all!! You really need all of you hair to be natural for this method.now that Im all natural and I follow it to the T.....it does not work for me. My hair is too short to not do the doodle method, so i do the doodles and it looks great wet! But when it dries oh honey it looks it!! And its frizzy and there are a few white spots! Even after using only conditioner......idk this method holds a dear spot in my heart i want it to work sooooooo bad but idk. I did just start back up trying it again after years.....ill give it to the end of the year and then see how i feel.

Raquel29
July 3rd, 2019, 07:31 AM
Can I just say that even though this method doesnt fully work for me all the way YET my hair does feel absolutely AMAZING since starting the regimen. It does take a lot of work but i feel my hair looks shinier and glossier than when using my kinky curly custard everyday on my bangs. PLUS by the end of wash day my hair is dry meaning I can go to sleep on it AND it does mildew!! Hello!!! That is a feat in of itself!! Its dry but its moisturuzed and smells SOOOOOOOO CLEAN, my boyfriend could Not stop smelling my hair!! I felt so feminine and if it gets my hair to grow as well win win.....i still have to gigure out the right water-conditioner mixture for my hair to ALL clump properly

lapushka
July 3rd, 2019, 08:54 AM
Have you tried the curly girl method? With not brushing it when out of the shower, and using the LOC/LCO method for styling. Here's a link:
https://www.wikihow.com/Follow-the-Curly-Girl-Method-for-Curly-Hair

GRU
July 4th, 2019, 07:25 AM
Can I just say that even though this method doesnt fully work for me all the way YET my hair does feel absolutely AMAZING since starting the regimen. It does take a lot of work but i feel my hair looks shinier and glossier than when using my kinky curly custard everyday on my bangs. PLUS by the end of wash day my hair is dry meaning I can go to sleep on it AND it does mildew!! Hello!!! That is a feat in of itself!! Its dry but its moisturuzed and smells SOOOOOOOO CLEAN, my boyfriend could Not stop smelling my hair!! I felt so feminine and if it gets my hair to grow as well win win.....i still have to gigure out the right water-conditioner mixture for my hair to ALL clump properly

Hopefully you meant to say that it does NOT mildew???

Vacurlylady
July 4th, 2019, 08:56 AM

Haha that’s what I was thinking... so I am going to try this. I have never heard of it before, so much less confusing than CG. For CG I picked a safe conditioner and stuck with it. Although I have not read fully her methods. I’m not attached to gel or any extra products... my question is, for you with curls and length... do you all worry about your curls or do you put it up more? See that’s where I am confused. I let my hair dry naturally, but I put it up a lot and not focused on my curls... is my thought process wrong?

enting
July 4th, 2019, 10:16 AM
I love how positive that blog is! Everyone is gorgeous, or stunning, no matter the condition of their hair :heartbeat I'm going to read it all now.

GRU
July 4th, 2019, 11:03 PM
Haha that’s what I was thinking... so I am going to try this. I have never heard of it before, so much less confusing than CG. For CG I picked a safe conditioner and stuck with it. Although I have not read fully her methods. I’m not attached to gel or any extra products... my question is, for you with curls and length... do you all worry about your curls or do you put it up more? See that’s where I am confused. I let my hair dry naturally, but I put it up a lot and not focused on my curls... is my thought process wrong?

My curls are going to do whatever the heck they wanna do, so I personally just focus on ME and what *I* want to do.

For starters, I have to wear my hair down until it is fully dry, or it will NEVER dry. I will typically put it in a VERY loose half-up with a small butterfly type clip -- this allows the top several inches to dry with curl, instead of being weighted down by all the length as they dry. Also, by using a VERY loose half-up (I basically "poof" my hair a bit by pulling it forward and clipping way farther up than you normally would), that increases air flow to my scalp on the top part of my head, allowing that area to dry faster than if the hair was all flat on my head.

Once my hair is FINALLY dry, I do whatever I want with it that day. Typically I'll wear it down the first day (or maybe just clip back a few tendrils at the side to keep it out of my face), then in a ponytail but still curly for a day or two, and then in a bun after that. But if I'm doing something on wash day that requires my hair to be back or up, I'll go ahead and ponytail or bun it on the first day (after it's dry).

My curls may have a mind of their own, but I'm still in charge of this body overall. My hair conforms to my activities, not the other way around. I normally only wash once or twice a week at home based on what I've got going on, but when I go on a cruise in the Caribbean, I'm in the pool or in the ocean every day (plus generally sweating up a storm in the heat and humidity), so I CO-wash every day on a cruise.

Raquel29
July 30th, 2019, 05:53 PM

HAHAHA!!! Yes does NOT mildew!! I was typing so fast! Yeah I don't think my hair ever mildew before, but I was always scared that it would because it will just stay wet until the next day. With the tightly curly method the curls are separated so they lay on top of each other, but apart, allowing air to really move through them....still takes forever for them to dry BUT its way better than them being all clumped together trying to dry.......it just doesn't work for my hair. I've tried the Curly Girl Method years ago.....my 4b hair needs extra love, the curls don't completely separate to allow the air to go through it to air dry, thanks for the tip though! ;)

Raquel29
July 30th, 2019, 05:56 PM
Good tip!! I'm going on a cruise in 2 weeks and am STRESSING on how to do my hair there, co-washing everyday is such a good idea!!! thank you!

GRU
July 31st, 2019, 11:03 AM
Good tip!! I'm going on a cruise in 2 weeks and am STRESSING on how to do my hair there, co-washing everyday is such a good idea!!! thank you!

Enjoy your cruise! I'm going on a 10-day in a month and another 7-day in September and a 9-day at the end of November!

Even though I normally only CO-wash 1-2 times a week, the daily CO-washing on a cruise works out just fine, too. My curls love conditioner!

Raquel29
July 31st, 2019, 11:24 AM
Wow!! You sound like a cruise professional! This will be my first cruise, how much conditioner do you typically bring? Im planning to bring 1 large container of hello hydration with me....with co washing everyday and using it to style my curls i think that should be enough.....do you bring any accessories to help you with styling while on the cruise?

BerrySara
July 31st, 2019, 01:02 PM
I'm pretty sure it's the gel. The idea in the method is to leave only conditioner on your hair. The conditioner will go away. (I've left heaps of conditioner in my hair before and it no one knew) But if you're putting gel on it, you're mixing two things that aren't supposed to go together. That's probably why it's all white.

If you put the condi in your hair and define your hair and leave it alone to dry, the curls will set that way. The condi is mostly for easier detangling and clumping (and a bit of moisture.) The real key is leaving your hair alone for it to dry.

I'd love to see pics!

Omgosh I was just reading this thread and had to stop and admire. I know the post is from ages ago, but wow your signature picture :crush: your hair is stunning!

GRU
July 31st, 2019, 05:33 PM
Wow!! You sound like a cruise professional! This will be my first cruise, how much conditioner do you typically bring? Im planning to bring 1 large container of hello hydration with me....with co washing everyday and using it to style my curls i think that should be enough.....do you bring any accessories to help you with styling while on the cruise?

I usually bring a large bottle of conditioner, depends how long I'll be gone and what size bottles I have.

I dilute my conditioner in an applicator bottle (https://www.sallybeauty.com/hair/hair-color/hair-color-accessories/applicators/graduated-applicator-bottle/SBS-292050.html) for CO-washing, using roughly 2-3 fluid ounces per wash, so for a week cruise I can take two smaller bottles (12 ounces each) and for a longer cruise I'll take the family size (30 ounces).

I usually offer whatever is left in the bottle at the end of the week to my room steward (who can offer it to someone else down below if they don't want it) rather than packing and bringing home the last bit.... this also allows me extra weight allowance in my suitcase for bringing back souvenirs (I have to fly to and from the port city).

As for accessories, it's all elastics and hairsticks for me. My curls are going to do whatever they want to do in the humid Caribbean air, so I just let them be wild!