PDA

View Full Version : getting moisture into hair...

bella77
May 24th, 2011, 09:56 AM
I think my hair desperately needs moisture. I think my hair is dry and that's why it's frizzy. Many of you know I have tried so many different things from oils to conditioners to cassia. I will try anything. How do you get moisture into your hair? Other than coconut oil, will anything actually penetrate the hair shaft and actually moisturize hair or will it lay on top and then just wash off? I need your help hair guru's!!

Sundial
May 24th, 2011, 10:14 AM
Have you tried a deep conditioning treatment like SMT?

Recipe:
1 part aloe vera gel
1 part honey
4 parts conditioner

The honey draws moisture from the air, but this doesn't work if you are in a dry climate

bunzfan
May 24th, 2011, 10:17 AM
I tried the honey and conditioner part of a SMT on my hair especially the roots it gets so frizzy due to it being wavy . It left it lovely and so soft i also found ACV rinses great.

Kisa
May 24th, 2011, 10:18 AM
Have you tried CO washing? With a conditioner that's not containing sulphates? Schampoos and conditioners containing sulphates can dry out your hair.

bella77
May 24th, 2011, 10:33 AM
I rarely shampoo and yes I use sulphate free poo when I do. I need to get some more acv, did a rinse over the weekend and it left my dry hair feeling so nice, which went away next time I co'd wash. Need more honey too!!

Firefox7275
May 24th, 2011, 10:39 AM
Have you tried leave-in conditioner? Some wash-off conditioners can also be used as a leave-in, so you won't necessarily have to purchase a new product. Leave-ins really tame my fluff/ poof. :)

bella77
May 24th, 2011, 10:41 AM
Have you tried leave-in conditioner? Some wash-off conditioners can also be used as a leave-in, so you won't necessarily have to purchase a new product. Leave-ins really tame my fluff/ poof. :)
I always use a leave in, either my co conditioner- just a little after my rinse, or some sort of oil- coconut, camellia, or whatever I have concocted lately- usually a mix of conditioner and oil and water.

Gypsygirl
May 24th, 2011, 10:42 AM
Have you tried the oil treatment by Moroccanoil? I started a thread about it in the products section. Check it out! :)

Red_Wednesday
May 24th, 2011, 11:12 AM
My favorite moisture treatment is:

4.5 to 5 ounce jar of baby food bananas
1 tablespoon of EVOO
1 tablespoon of aloe vera juice.
Mix well

Shampoo, then apply mixture and leave it on for at least 30 minutes. Rinse well. It's heavy duty for my hair, but works great to put elasticity back in my hair. If you have fine hair you might want to experiment on whether or not you apply it as a pre-poo first and then shampoo, or whether your hair can take applying it as an "after shampoo" treatment.

My hair is very dry, so I can handle it as an "after shampoo" treatment, and actually there are some times when I will rinse only lightly and leave a little in. I end up having to bun it, but I'm ok with that for a deeper conditioning treatment.

Experimenting is truly the key.

TheBluffs
May 24th, 2011, 11:50 AM
I'd go for honey, and leave it in overnight. It's very moustering. But if you don't have any honey, go for an oil, but you might have to experiment on what kind of oil.

gthlvrmx
May 24th, 2011, 12:07 PM
Before trying anymore oils or honey, you must know how they basically work.
Oils DO NOT moisturize your hair, they are just sealants. Some, like coconut oil, can penetrate your hair, but they usually cover your hair and keep moisture from leaving. But at the same time, too much oil can keep any moisture at all from entering, causing a dry effect.
This is why silicone build up tends to become dry on my ends, cones are basically synthetic oils.
Honey is a humectant, which means it can draw moisture in. Many conditioners have it as an ingredient as glycerin or something. They do draw in moisture, but only if there is moisture around. There's a certain dew point it has to be in order to actually moisturize your hair. If it's to dry around your area, the humectant will actually draw moisture out into the environment!
I got Suave Naturals Ocean Breeze because it has no cones, no protein, and no humectants and use it as a leave in as well.
When i was using oils, i just felt my hair got drier after a few days and needed to wash it out. The first try, good. But after a while, there's too much covering my hair and i didn't get enough moisture i needed.

bella77
May 24th, 2011, 12:27 PM
Before trying anymore oils or honey, you must know how they basically work.
Oils DO NOT moisturize your hair, they are just sealants. Some, like coconut oil, can penetrate your hair, but they usually cover your hair and keep moisture from leaving. But at the same time, too much oil can keep any moisture at all from entering, causing a dry effect.
This is why silicone build up tends to become dry on my ends, cones are basically synthetic oils.
Honey is a humectant, which means it can draw moisture in. Many conditioners have it as an ingredient as glycerin or something. They do draw in moisture, but only if there is moisture around. There's a certain dew point it has to be in order to actually moisturize your hair. If it's to dry around your area, the humectant will actually draw moisture out into the environment!
I got Suave Naturals Ocean Breeze because it has no cones, no protein, and no humectants and use it as a leave in as well.
When i was using oils, i just felt my hair got drier after a few days and needed to wash it out. The first try, good. But after a while, there's too much covering my hair and i didn't get enough moisture i needed.
I may try that in a small bottle just as a leave in. I find too that oils make my hair feel funny after even a few hours. I was going to scour the store for a heavy duty cone free conditioner to use as a leave in, but the one you suggested is a dollar, so I might as well give it a shot!

HairColoredHair
May 24th, 2011, 01:18 PM
Soak your hair in honey and conditioner, then wash it out and damp bun after. Take hair down with nearly dry or dry. :) Helps my hair, anyway. :)

Jcv-Shelley
May 24th, 2011, 02:45 PM
Mashed avocados mixed with honey and oil of your choice, maybe?

alwayssmiling
May 24th, 2011, 03:04 PM
Foxs shea butter conditioning cream. I love this stuff.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=4586

tinti
May 24th, 2011, 03:25 PM
What I do when I do deep tretments on my hair is I soak my hair in coconut oil (which penetrates hte shaft) and afterwards I apply a thin layer of coney conditioner to cover the hairs and keep the oily goodness inside. Then I bun/braid and maybe put on a buff before I go to bed, and CWC next morning with a non SLS free shampoo. I don't know if the con(ey)ditioner does anything to the deep treatment but my hair feels lovely so I'll keep doin' mah thang ;)

Buddaphlyy
May 24th, 2011, 06:06 PM
Clarify first. Anything has the potential to build up and block moisture from getting in. It could be the reason why nothing is "working".

Chiara
May 24th, 2011, 08:48 PM
Time helps too.
My length is now in way better condition, after almost a year of LHC (which for me meant stretching shampoo washes to weekly, using leave-ins and, now, damp bunning).

bella77
May 25th, 2011, 05:34 AM
Time helps too.
My length is now in way better condition, after almost a year of LHC (which for me meant stretching shampoo washes to weekly, using leave-ins and, now, damp bunning).
this is what I am hoping too, especially since this is the lonest my hair has been since I was about 4 years old and I am trying to grow to waist, I am trying to keep the length I have.

julliams
May 25th, 2011, 05:42 AM
A coconut soak using lite coconut milk before washing (leave on hair for about an hour) is great for putting moisture into my hair.

Firefox7275
May 25th, 2011, 05:50 AM
I always use a leave in, either my co conditioner- just a little after my rinse, or some sort of oil- coconut, camellia, or whatever I have concocted lately- usually a mix of conditioner and oil and water.

Oils are not humectants or emollients they are sealants and protectors. My CO-wash conditioner is too light to use as a leave-in, maybe you need a richer product? I use Fructis Triple Nutrition which contains palm oil so could do the job of both. For me it is more effective to scrunch conditioner into wet hair than to apply conditioner mixed with water to damp hair. I was shocked how much better it controls the fluff/ poof, and my hair is much curlier. :D

Curly Girl technique links here (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/general-discussion-about-curly-hair/112371-techniques-links-supersoaker-spritz-condish-plopping-frizz-clipping-icequeen-etc.html).

bella77
May 25th, 2011, 09:41 AM
that's a great suggestion Firefox- I am tempted to try WO and let my sebum coat the hair to control the frizz, I will try a heavier conditioner first as a leave in and see if that helps.