PDA

View Full Version : static aaaaaaah

templeofvenus
May 24th, 2011, 07:37 AM
:confused: I keep getting static, my hair is fine and straight and not dry or split but the static is annoying, it isn't there every day which is odd maybe I am more electrified some days lol....... anyone got a cure for this???

Joribear
May 24th, 2011, 07:23 PM
This will sound strange and I make no claims as to how "healthy" or "damaging" it is to your hair, but... Use a fabric sheet like you would throw in a dryer! I don't generally have a lot of issues with static, but in the winter, when the air is really dry, I tend to pick up at least some static. I take a dryer sheet in my right hand (left if you're left handed) and run my hair thru my hand about three times or so. It works, my hair stays in place and isn't trying to grab onto walls or balloons as I pass by! :D

HeatherJenae
May 24th, 2011, 07:52 PM
Using a wooden comb is supposed to not cause any static. You know how you brush your hair and it turns into an orb of static? That's supposedly doesn't happen when you use wood instead of plastic or metal. Give it a shot! :) They sell wooden combs at Sally's Beauty for three bucks.

Chiara
May 24th, 2011, 08:43 PM
I find that brushing with my BBB causes lots of static, but brushing with my wooden brush does not. So yes, what you use to brush and comb with can make a difference.

Madora
May 24th, 2011, 08:45 PM
Re: Brushing and static

To cut down on the static, follow EACH swipe of your brush with the palm of your other hand.

You can also apply a small amount of coconut oil to your palms, then rub them down the length of your hair.

templeofvenus
May 25th, 2011, 01:34 AM
thanks for the tips I will get hold of a wooden comb! I know I shouldn't but just now I blow dry - I let it air dry until almost dry then quick hair dryer to finish off as my hair is not yet long enough for tying into a ponytail therefore looks a mess if left to air dry fully just now as it sticks out all over, kinks on the ends etc- I wonder if the hairdryer causes static??

Nae
May 25th, 2011, 03:58 AM
Sleep with a humidifier in your room. It has really killed my static, especially in the winter. (Helps the skin too!)

Wavelin
May 25th, 2011, 05:17 AM
I thought about static hair just a few days ago, and realised that I had not had static hair once since starting with CO. But then again I'm having a bit of a problem with to heavy hair now with CO, so..

One thing you could try is spreading a few drops of your regular conditioner in your soaked lengths, just before getting out of the shower, and then dry as you usually do. This makes my hair really soft, but a bit heavy, so maybe it helps with the static?

Good luck!

WaitingSoLong
May 25th, 2011, 05:53 AM
thanks for the tips I will get hold of a wooden comb! I know I shouldn't but just now I blow dry - I let it air dry until almost dry then quick hair dryer to finish off as my hair is not yet long enough for tying into a ponytail therefore looks a mess if left to air dry fully just now as it sticks out all over, kinks on the ends etc- I wonder if the hairdryer causes static??

YES. they do cause static which is why they are selling "ionic" hair dryers now. GET ONE. They work. No static! Static tends to be worst in winter which is when I need my hair dryer the most. I also use de-static spray you can find in the laundry section. I am sure it works like the fabric sheet. I have no idea what is in it and I don't really want to look. I rarely use it but a quick spray and all the static is gone. One bottle lasts me years. I also use it for my clothes, which is what it is intended for.

The wooden comsb at Sally's need sanding IMO.

UltraBella
May 25th, 2011, 07:42 AM
Oiling my WET hair completely eliminates static for me and I live in a very dry climate. Just a dab of coconut oil or my Nightblooming's Panacea and I am blissfully free of static.

templeofvenus
May 25th, 2011, 10:55 AM
well today I bought a brush in boots that is meant to help with static the make is GOODY its ionic/ceramic and I tried blow drying using this and it worked-NO STATIC!!!! it cost £10 but money well spent and they say they refund full amount if not satisified with the product sothats good!! Mind you I have changed my shampoo and conditioner and used a thermal protective spray aswell so whether its the brush or the products the whole combination has got shot of my electric hair today!!!! :)

Anje
May 25th, 2011, 12:18 PM
Dry hair and dry conditions tend to lead to more static. So make sure your hair is well moisturized, and consider getting a humidifier set up. I'll also second using a drop of oil on damp hair -- I do this regularly and haven't had static problems in ages.