PDA

View Full Version : Hair care questions.

Ava666
May 24th, 2011, 12:06 AM
Ok, when you brush your hair flipped over in front, how do you flip it to the back without it becoming all tangled again? Is this a learned talent? Because I haven't been able to figure it out yet.

Also any of you that work on farms, or something along those lines, how do you keep your hair out of the way, buns don't stay up very long while I'm mucking stalls (although this could probably be solved if I could learn to make a better bun), and the single braid gets in my way. And what about going through the woods? The trees keep trying to pet me and then get their twiggy fingers get caught in my hair. I know a hat would probably help, but I can't stand hats.

Dark Queen
May 24th, 2011, 12:19 AM
Ok, when you brush your hair flipped over in front, how do you flip it to the back without it becoming all tangled again? Is this a learned talent? Because I haven't been able to figure it out yet.

Also any of you that work on farms, or something along those lines, how do you keep your hair out of the way, buns don't stay up very long while I'm mucking stalls (although this could probably be solved if I could learn to make a better bun), and the single braid gets in my way. And what about going through the woods? The trees keep trying to pet me and then get their twiggy fingers get caught in my hair. I know a hat would probably help, but I can't stand hats.

Honestly not sure about the first question, as I haven't done that in a very long time. From what I remember I'd just gently brush it again, but not with so much pressure to flatten the volume. As for the second question, have you tried braiding it, then coiling the braid into a bun? Also, I've had pretty good luck with a french twist secured in an octopus clip when I used to work outside a lot. Would that help?

Mountaingrrl
May 24th, 2011, 12:22 AM
You could make twin braids and then wrap and pin them on top of your head. If you don't like hats, how about a scarf?

Cowgirl16
May 24th, 2011, 12:29 AM
I can put my hair in a bun that will stay through anything, but I can't wear a bun and a hat:( A single braid works good with a hat but falls into my way when working. I've been known to tuck my braid into my shirt or coat, I hope someone else has a better idea.:rolleyes:

celebriangel
May 24th, 2011, 05:02 AM
why would you flip your hair to brush it in the first place? Most of us here brush it the way round it normally hangs. That would solve lots of your tangle problems.

Braided buns held with spin pins (you only need 4 max, really, especially if you're using a hairstick as well) hold like a rock, too.

Gypsygirl
May 24th, 2011, 05:06 AM
You could try a very tightly braided French braid... As for your first question, I think I just gather it all in one hand and put it back gently.

All Natural Mom
May 24th, 2011, 06:15 AM
I work out on the farm all the time, I would have to say just practice your bun making skills (quick, and easy to re-do if need be), my hair is really long and I just do a simple bun by wrapping my hair around and around and secure with a claw clip (works most of the time).

I also hate hats, but when going through my woods it's almost a necessity. If the weather is not too hot (in Louisiana it's always hot) I wear a hoodie and just put the hood on while prancing through the woods.:D

Firefox7275
May 24th, 2011, 06:29 AM
If you brush your hair upside down, just flip it back gently in sections combing each as you go with your fingers or a wide tooth comb. Maybe try making workday buns with spin pins, many people seem to get them to hold with two but you might use four or six. Then tie a silk scarf around the hairline for protection or use a flexi-comb to keep tendrils out of your face.

Firefly
May 24th, 2011, 06:47 AM
I don't do the flipped over brushing thing... even though I'm just a wavy I usually end up with a gigantic poofy mane.

When I'm mucking out the chicken coop I usually do a low nape bun (with practice you'll get it nice and tight) and a bandana over that. It keeps all the wispies from falling in my face and driving me crazy. Occasionally I may have to take my gloves off and re-secure, but it usually stays fine. If I'm outside the low-nape bun works well too-- I can put a hat on and the bun is protected under the rim.

My problem area is how to secure my hair when I'm working the bee hive. The nape bun doesn't work in the suit and braids and pony tails seem to work their way loose. There's nothing worse than having wispy hairs tickle your face when you can't scratch!! :mad: :rolleyes:

Sundial
May 24th, 2011, 07:08 AM
I remember Madora keeps it in her grasp and gently brings it over before releasing it. She absolutely hates tangles, and will never flip her hair over. She must be doing something right because her mane is long and enviable

jojo
May 24th, 2011, 08:42 AM
to answer your first question I do a BBB twice a day with my hair tipped forward, either do 2 loose braids while your head is tipped or twist into one, lift head back up and slowly unravel braids or twist. You get minimal tangles at the back of the head doing this but they finger comb out easy.

SpinDance
May 24th, 2011, 09:37 AM
First, I never flip my hair over to brush it. I never use a brush, and it's just too long to turn upside down these days. It ended up a tangled mess the last time I tried it, even holding it carefully to come back up.

As for making buns, that is just practice, practice, practice, just like braiding. Then finding a stick/fork/Flexi and bun combination that works for you and the buns you like to make. I like Spidermom's Bun that Stays or Nautilus most of the time because they are fast and easy to make but look nice, too.

When I work with large animals I wear either a bun or double lace braids into a single braid. If I need to tuck the tail into something to keep it from swinging I will, or I'll fold it up and pin it (or use a Flexi).

As for in the woods, I usually wore a hat over double lace braids into a single braid in the back. I didn't know how to do buns or about Flexi's when I was woods running, so I'll probably do things differently next time. If the trees or bushes are grabby, or I have to make sure they don't catch, I'll use a kerchief. I suggest hemp or linen, as they are tougher than most other fabrics, especially the hemp. If I had to do something really intense crawling around in the brush a lot I'd probably end up making myself a special cap or kerchief with a tough outer cover of hemp and silk inside next to my hair.

JuliaDancer
May 24th, 2011, 10:57 AM
I live in New York City, and this is so intriguing to me. I understand the farm part, as I've spent a lot of time on farms in England as a kid, but what are you guys doing in the woods? What kind of work do you do there?

Ava666
May 24th, 2011, 08:48 PM
Ok, well I will continue practicing buns. Today I got (finally) a couple octopus clips, so they should help. Plus a couple other hair toys :D. So hopefully they'll help. next time I brush in front, I will move the hair in small sections. (I don't do it that often anyways...)

I live in New York City, and this is so intriguing to me. I understand the farm part, as I've spent a lot of time on farms in England as a kid, but what are you guys doing in the woods? What kind of work do you do there?

I was in search and rescue, and hope to get back into it, as soon as I can get some light food I can eat. Plus sometimes chasing animals out of the woods, or I will just go for a walk, it's fun.

Madora
May 24th, 2011, 11:20 PM
@Sundial... Why, thank you, for that sweet compliment!

Yes, I hate tangles with a passion, and developed my own routine for brushing which eliminates tangles to a great extent. Here it is:

1) Bend at the waist
2) Bring all the hair in front of you, like a curtain
3) Use widetooth comb, and starting at the ends, take small section of your hair and work up the section until you reach the scalp
4) Continue in this manner until all hair is detangled
5) Brush your hair, starting at the nape and down to the ends of the strands. To cut down on static, follow EACH swipe of the brush with the palm of your other hand. When hair has been thoroughly brushed, then you:

6) Part hair from nape to forehead
7) Grasp the ends of the hair in your hand and hold them.

8) Stand erect
9) Take one section of hair in your hand and place it gently behind your shoulder. DO NOT FLIP, TOSS, FLING back your hair! This only causes more tangles!
10) Repeat with the other side of the hair
11) Your hair should now be relatively free of tangles.

If you encounter a tangle, then part the hair from the forehead to the nape, comb slowly to locate the tangle, then untangle it by using your FINGERS, not the comb!

The more control you have over brushing your hair (and how you handle it while doing so), the less you'll have to mess with tangles!

12) Style as desired!

I evolved this method over 40 years of dealing with tangles. It really works. Go slow, be gentle! Your hair will reap the results!

Ava666
May 25th, 2011, 08:23 PM
Success! I was able to put my hair in a tight-ish bun, and then used an octopus clip, my hair stayed up and out of my face ALL day. It was quite nice.

Thank you all for the tips, I will put them to use in the future. :D