PDA

View Full Version : How many hair pins do you need to hold your updos?

shikara
May 23rd, 2011, 11:39 PM
Well, first of all, thank you, thank you, thank you, LHC. I've had such trouble getting buns to stay without tugging, falling, etc and so often hairpins were recommended, and I'd think "yeah, but you don't have my kind of uncooperative hair - slippy, kind of thin......I've tried them and they don't work...what else can you recommend?" Well, today, out of more frustration, I grabbed my stack of hairpins, and put one in after the other, after the other.......I've got quite a few in there and so far, not only is the bun (twisted chignon - my favorite!) staying up, there is no tugging or pulling!!! I can hardly tell I've got it up in a bun *does a cartwheel on the floor!*. So now I'm wondering, how many hair pins do you need to hold up your buns?

pepperminttea
May 24th, 2011, 02:36 AM
Congrats! When I secured my first bun with pins alone I just kind of sat there in disbelief. :p

I normally use 6-10 Amish pins for a single bun, or more commonly these days, 3-4 spin pins.

kyandii
May 24th, 2011, 02:50 AM
Hundreds of normal pins because they seem to fall out during the day, or just one or two spin pin depending on the bun.

Night_Kitten
May 24th, 2011, 04:09 AM
It depends on the bun, for a regular cinnabun between 6 and 10 (depending on how oily my hair is - the oilier the less pins I need to hold it secure...)
I usually use a stick though... :)

celebriangel
May 24th, 2011, 04:18 AM
1-2 if I'm also using hairsticks. I use spin pins. I suspect this will increase as my hair gets longer; I am beginning to feel the "heaviness", and the discomfort that occurs when you secure a bun badly so it pulls on one section.

maria_asa
May 24th, 2011, 04:37 AM
I usually use sticks or forks but on the rare occasion that I use hair pins 4-5 is usually enough.

Finoriel
May 24th, 2011, 04:50 AM
:D Sounds exactly like my first attempts with hair pins! It was a bit like ":disbelieve: no way that'll work!" at first and then I just pinned the updo to death :lol:
The little pins are invisible so it's not like anybody would see how many I use/need to hold up a style :wink: so I'm not shy and use generous amounts.
For me it depends on the style how many I need, but it can be anything from 10 to two packs (guestimating that's about 40?) of small wire u-pins.
I don't own real Amish pins (I just use bent knitting needles) and I need at least two of them to hold up my hair soso. But to really hold it securely I need to add some smaller ones, too. To keep the ends from falling out of the updo or loops getting loose etc.
Only downside of using a lot of pins is that it's sometimes hard to find all of them when taking down the updo in the evening :o

Eolan
May 24th, 2011, 06:21 AM
Depends on what kind of updo I'm doing. On an average: three or four.

SpinDance
May 24th, 2011, 06:31 AM
Since I learned to use hair sticks and forks properly I rarely use hair pins. However, when I do it's usually on a crown braid which takes me 3 to hide the tail. Most of the buns I do these days I don't think would work that well with just pins, they are designed to be held with a stick or fork.

Shoga
May 24th, 2011, 07:57 AM
I use about 10-15 bobby pins to hold my buns (sometimes 20 on a bad day). I recently ordered spin spins though and I hope they work better for my hair. ^-^

TheBluffs
May 24th, 2011, 11:52 AM
I use 8 in a flower bun. :brickwall:

Roseate
May 24th, 2011, 12:05 PM
Only downside of using a lot of pins is that it's sometimes hard to find all of them when taking down the updo in the evening :o

So true! I'm always searching for that last one...:p

maysum
May 24th, 2011, 01:02 PM
a full packet of u shape pins (20ish?) - I could get away with less, but I feel 'safer' knowing they are there, and my hair is yet to collapse!

ashke50
May 24th, 2011, 02:35 PM
I don't use pins for most buns (mostly because I never worked out how to) but I do use goody spin pins for cinnabuns. Two will hold all my hair all day with no problems.

Finnenna
May 24th, 2011, 03:07 PM
At least 5-6 no matter what. I need them to hold the last vestiges of fringe back. I cannot wait for that to hit shoulder length too.

heidihug
May 24th, 2011, 03:33 PM
My hair is too fine and thin to use Spin Pins, and I am allergic to the metals in bobby pins. I use Good Hair Days pins (can get them at Sally's), and they are awesome. I use anywhere from two to four in an updo.

QMacrocarpa
May 24th, 2011, 04:00 PM
Roughly 2-3 spin pins or 3-6 good hair days pins. Usually fewer rather than more, but I'm in favor of using enough to feel secure.

jojo
May 24th, 2011, 05:47 PM
either 2 screw pins, 6 amish pins or one hair stick.

Roscata
May 24th, 2011, 05:51 PM
I use 2-3 pins for a French or Peacock twist and 4 for a Cinnabun. :D

Venefica
May 24th, 2011, 05:54 PM
I do not use bobby pins other than when some bows are secured with them so I really would not know. I was planning on getting some though to try a multi strand bun I saw a tutorial on on Youtube. guess we will see how many I will need.

HintOfMint
May 24th, 2011, 10:16 PM
If it's just a cinnabun, or french twist, then two spin pins. If it is a braided bun or infinity bun, I'll go with two spin pins and three or four bobby pins.

Madora
May 24th, 2011, 10:49 PM
Double braided bun..about 9 3" crimped hairpins

Lace French English braid..about 8 3" crimped hairpins plus 3 or 4 2" inch hairpins

Heidi braids..about 8 3" crimped hairpins

My hairpins are from Sally's Beauty Supply.

Sundial
May 24th, 2011, 10:53 PM
2 spin pins :)

Malibu Barbie
May 25th, 2011, 01:27 AM
I just use one or two hairsticks. I stopped using hair pins after finding hairsticks. I used about 8 when using pins.

tigereye
May 25th, 2011, 01:34 AM
I only really use hairsticks. I have soft slippery hair too and it's straight which doesn't help much. I usually manage with one hairstick, but when I do occasionally use pins, I need quite a lot, because the pins have a tendency to gradually fall out one by one, no matter how secure I make it.

Guenhwyvar
May 25th, 2011, 01:50 AM
Mine takes a lot. 15 for the last cinnamon bun. I use bobby pins. My only hair sticks are far to long and I always knock them out.

JuliaDancer
May 25th, 2011, 08:26 AM
I use hair sticks for buns, unless it's with braids. Then I use a ton of bobby pins. I find they don't pop out if I don't try to hold too much hair with each one, so I just use lots of them. Maybe 10-20 depending on whether my hair is freshly washed or if it's been a day or two. My oily hair needs fewer pins.

LeaM07
May 25th, 2011, 09:07 AM
For a cinnabun I can usually get by with three to five Amish pins (and maybe a bobby pin or two or three for straggler hairs). For other buns, a stick or fork is pretty much all I need. My hair is pretty grippy, though, and my fairytails add grippage as well. :)

DD6, on the other hand, has fine, slippy hair, that wants to spit out pretty much whatever I try to put into it, so in a way I can understand your dilemma. Starting with a ponytail (with an elastic) is a big help, as is braiding first before bunning, but those are limiting, of course. I only use a bobby pin or two in her case, but she still has a very small head/amount of hair and doesn't generally wear buns for very long (since I still have to worry about her losing pins, poking eyes out, and such). :p

MyKing'sQueen
May 26th, 2011, 10:21 PM
Usually 4-5 pins is enough for me, but sometimes i use up to 8 of them just in case)))))

Masara
May 26th, 2011, 10:58 PM
It depends so much on the updo. I can hold a rope braid bun started from a ponytail with maybe 3 Amish pins. A vortex bun takes a lot more.

wandlimb
May 27th, 2011, 02:43 AM
Usually 3 or 4 ordinary kirby grips and about 6 U shaped pins. I'm going to go get some spin pins tonight and give them a try!