PDA

View Full Version : HELP me fight the urge of the scissors!

DreamingLong
June 18th, 2008, 08:35 PM
I am really not liking my hair lately. It is all stick straight except the very back has some waves. WHY??? I feel it never looks good. I need to get a pic so you see what I mean, let me charge that camera up. How do I add a pic here?

Never2old
June 18th, 2008, 08:45 PM
You're around 24 inches long? That's been an awkward length for so many people.

I'm not sure how others got through it, but I put it in half ups as much as possible, micro trimmed the ends to feel like I was 'doing' something for it (I'm a blunt hemline kinda gal), and forgave myself for using a curling iron to just turn the very ends under. My waves did not play nice at that length.

Do what you need to do to wait for a couple more inches of growth--it will get better, I promise.

Curlsgirl
June 18th, 2008, 08:47 PM
You need to use photobucket or a similar website to post a picture.

I just want to say your hair length is a fairly hard one to get past. It should be much easier when it gets a bit longer and you can do more styles. Think about this, if you keep cutting it how will you ever know if you will like it long? I would suggest at the very least using the 2 week rule. Next, find a style you like that works for you and wear it up for a while. Buy some pretty new hairtoys if you can. Everyone gets aggravated every once in a while. You'll never have long hair if you keep cutting it. Remember what you didn't like about your hair at shorter lengths and the reasons why you wanted to grow out in the first place.

busnutmedic
June 18th, 2008, 08:53 PM
Yes! The two week rule is great. You wait two weeks to have some time to think it over.

Pictures would be fun too, you can host them at flickr.com or photobucket.com or any site like that.

Bonnie

DreamingLong
June 18th, 2008, 09:00 PM
Ok, I could not find my camera cord so I took one with my cell phone and put the pic in my Avatar, what is up with my wave in the back? I hate my hair.

Darkhorse1
June 18th, 2008, 09:10 PM
Hey there,
I have the opposite problem. My hair will be curly/wavy at the sides, light wave then a dead straight section at the back. Honestly? I just learn to enjoy it. I find it unique! :) Can you see that in yourself? Your hair is gorgeous and I think you'd be sad if you cut it.

Perhaps play around with different products and styles and accessories to make this in-between stage more fun :)

rapunzhell13
June 18th, 2008, 09:31 PM
I'm at a crossroads myself (much shorter length though). I'm at the 'now or never' stage. I think if we both wait another month or 2 it will pass!

daydreamer
June 18th, 2008, 09:32 PM
I think your hair is quite beautiful actually. :) I know that length is frustrating, it is a difficult one for updos because the stuff that used to work doesn't anymore, and it's not quite long enough for different ones. I wore a lot of single braids and just tried to forget about it. It does pass though and quicker than you think! Only and inch or two and I'll bet it will start behaving.

DecafJane
June 18th, 2008, 09:34 PM
Agreed, your hair in your avatar looks lovely! Stick with it and it will be long before you know it! You have come so far!

jojo
June 18th, 2008, 09:57 PM
Im at the same stage as you 24" is a pain in the butt length! I just do micro trims, which make my ends feel better and keep it up; out of sight out of mind yeah?.

I was measuring every month but now I am not putting a tape measure to my hair until August, then it will be a nice surprise for me! So id say just ignore it, just a few more inches and we will both be over the worst, hang in there and hide those darn scissors!

Missie
June 18th, 2008, 09:58 PM
I can't understand why anyone would want to cut such lovely hair.. unless its just a dusting

DreamingLong
June 18th, 2008, 09:59 PM
Thanks everyone. I will try to just keep it up and not think about so much. I also am going to try to do CO only for awhile. Right now I wash it about 3 times a week, maybe I can only do poo once a week and CO the other 2 times. I am also not trimming anymore except my regular S&D.

DreamingLong
June 18th, 2008, 10:02 PM
I really don't have much to go my waist is at 28". I am only 5 ft tall. I always give in at 22 or so inches and chop it off. The last time my hair was long, I was about 8 with Hip legth hair.
Must remember not long to go.

Katze
June 19th, 2008, 01:59 AM
you have beautiful hair, at least in that pic!

I don't see "stick straight" at ALL. Maybe, like me, you had straight hair when you were younger and keep thinking of it as "straight" - but I see nice, solid "level 2" waves. If you aren't already, you might want to play with encouraging them - bendy stick curlers, pincurls, scrunching, etc - and thus jazz up your look. I'm thinking that your idea of your hair might be at odds with what it really wants to do. For me, learning that I was indeed a wavy has made a huge difference - I can air dry and my hair looks even better than it did when I blowdried/ironed it straight.

Yes, your length is a frustrating one. Many people here can "put their hair up and forget it" - so if that works for you, it's worth trying. I really prefer my hair down or in halfups, so playing with it a bit also helped get past that awkward length.

The good news is that if 28" is waist on you, you will be there in a couple of years at the most, and that's LONG. Considering normal standards, your hair IS already "long" - and it looks thick and healthy.

hope you are feeling better. :flower;

Katze

Silver & Gold
June 19th, 2008, 05:58 AM
My hair is not as long as yours, it sits at about 19" when dry. I'm growing out bangs and layers and it's not easy for me to have a 'good hair day' at this particular length.
I get through it by using hairsticks and putting my hair in half or full updos most of the time. I also use a herringbone braid to do a half updo with a flexi.
I also work on conditioning my hair a lot to keep it in the best condition possible for that magical day when I can wear my hair down.
Check out my hair pictures for ideas if you wish. I think you need to befriend me to see them but I don't refuse requests . . . I just like to know who is able to see my pictures.

Curlsgirl
June 19th, 2008, 06:39 AM
Oh MY! Your avi pic is beautiful! What is wrong with the waves in the back? I think they look really pretty! We are our own worst critics. Stick it out, you'll be glad you did!

MemSahib
June 19th, 2008, 06:52 AM
Actually, DreamingLong, I thought your hair is lovely! It looks thick and healthy. And that is not what I would call "stick straight" at all. Even if it WAS stick straight, it would have its own beauty. Maybe you need some new style options for that length. Have you tried: French twists, Gibson tucks, French or Dutch braids? Someone else mentioned half-ups which was one of my standards along in that length. Or a peacock twist? These might help you get through a rough patch.

spidermom
June 19th, 2008, 10:06 AM
I still go through stages when every time I check out my hair in the mirror, I hate something about it. I get through them by putting my hair up very quickly without even looking at it every day until I get over that feeling.

Gabriel
June 19th, 2008, 10:46 AM
I would get scissor/haircut antsy too at around that length (not so long ago!) sometimes and I found that having someone put a few rows of braids in my hair works to keep my mind off cutting, especially in the summer.

Try a new conditioning treatment. Or new hairtoys, a pretty scarf/bandana. Maybe some henna or indigo... I also agree with trying to maximize your natural wave...

It's kind of fun to find out that the hair texture you thought you have changes as your hair length changes, and finding new ways to use these newfound superhair powers!

DreamingLong
June 19th, 2008, 05:12 PM
Thanks. I agree that we are, our own worst critics. I am not very good at doing updos or braids on myself, all I can do is a french twist, which I do everyday for work. I will try to play around with some.

manyhorsesmane
June 19th, 2008, 05:18 PM
Your hair is actually really pretty, just yeah, at that stage where you just lose interest. Get some new hair toys, play with what you have, and give it a couple weeks before you go and do something you may regret. I'm still mourning the loss of my last 4 inches, but know it will be back there again by Christmas-time...
Hang in there, it will get better!!

Silver Grace
June 19th, 2008, 05:45 PM
Oh please don't cut! I made the mistake of cutting my almost BSL hair back to a chin-length bob and regretted it, so I hate to see anyone else making the same mistake I did. Your hair is lovely and this is just a bit of momentary dissatisfaction you're going through. Put your hair up and forget it for a while and I bet you'll very soon be glad you didn't cut!