PDA

View Full Version : How long would hair be after 4.5 years?

ilovelonghair
May 23rd, 2011, 10:50 PM
I am growing out damage (hair broke off at scalp) from 4.5 years ago and wonder where the outgrow should be now. It's hard to see, it used to be very visible but not anymore. My hair is very weird, it doesn't seem to change at all, maybe it's because the 'missing bit' hasn't fully grown out?

TheMechaGinger
May 23rd, 2011, 11:03 PM
27 inches right?

ETA: Given your hair grows at half an inch a month I guess

ilovelonghair
May 23rd, 2011, 11:11 PM
My hair doesn't grow THAT fast LOL. I wish it could grow an inch, it's more a centimeter a month (how much in inches is that?)

Roseate
May 23rd, 2011, 11:27 PM
54 cm (a cm a month for 4.5 years) is about 21.25 inches.

Mesmerise
May 24th, 2011, 12:53 AM
Well I find 1/2" a month to be average, so I'm calculating about 27" too (if it wasn't cut at all) which is close to what my hair is now... so that means my ends must be approximately 4.5 years long!

1cm a month is only a bit less than 1/2" (1/2" is about 1.25cm).

Those couple of extra mm a month would really add up to a bit over time though!

EDIT: Although thinking about it... the way we at LHC measure hair gives a longer than actual hair length measurement because we measure from the hairline and down the back... which doesn't take into consideration different hair lengths etc. If you measure the actual longest strands of your hair you'll get a more realistic idea of how "old" those hairs are. As your hair is 31" now, it's quite possible that the broken off bits have actually grown out (or close to it). I haven't measured my hair since April 1st (cause I'm trying to measure only every three months) BUT if I grab a bit of my longest hair on the top and measure it comes out at close to 22", which is somewhat less than 4 years of growth. I would guess that I would have about 27 maybe 27.5" of length the LHC way.

So maybe you can't see that section anymore because it just doesn't exist and all the hair has grown out again?? If that bit was at the side or back, too, it wouldn't have to grow as long to catch up with the rest of your hair as it would if it were on the top.

ilovelonghair
May 24th, 2011, 02:12 AM
It was at the back a bit near the top and a bit lower on the back as well, that was the worst damage and the lesser damage (but still pretty bad) was overall. I will have to measure again. I think the LHC was of measuring can be a bit misleading due to the fact that some people have high and some have low foreheads.

alwayssmiling
May 24th, 2011, 02:28 AM
It was at the back a bit near the top and a bit lower on the back as well, that was the worst damage and the lesser damage (but still pretty bad) was overall. I will have to measure again. I think the LHC was of measuring can be a bit misleading due to the fact that some people have high and some have low foreheads.

This is true. I also don't get too hung up over measuring because my OH gets a different measurement every month. He said its 1/2" shorter than it was last month even though I can visibly tell its longer. I prefer to see growth from where my hair reaches when stretched down. At the moment it just reaches arm pit but last month it didn't come close so I know I've grown approx 1/2" regardless of my husbands measuring.

Mesmerise
May 24th, 2011, 03:13 AM

I think the only way the LHC method works is in measuring your own hair so you get consistent results every time (or at least that's the idea)! Although as others have commented, it doesn't even work for that all the time. This is why I now measure every 3 months and try not to get too hung up on the number.

ilovelonghair
May 25th, 2011, 01:01 PM
I prefer to see growth from where my hair reaches when stretched down.

I do the same with wet hair, when dry my hair gets weird and wild and shrinks :D It's now at the hollow of my back. I just trimmed it, I had one hair that was nearly tailbone length, but that was just one hair:confused:, better had that cut off

IcarusBride
May 26th, 2011, 02:25 AM
For me it's about 4 sustainable inches a year (grow around 6inches and trim a total of around 2inches).

Raiscake
May 26th, 2011, 03:33 AM
For me it's about 4 sustainable inches a year (grow around 6inches and trim a total of around 2inches).

This sounds about right for me too. So that would be about 18 inches in 4.5 years.

ilovelonghair
May 26th, 2011, 08:48 AM
That is pretty long. My longest hairs are 70 centimeter (just a few only), so it kind of makes sense.