PDA

View Full Version : Measuring.

TheBluffs
May 23rd, 2011, 07:33 PM
When you go to change your current length it tells you:
The current length of your hair measured from your front hairline, over your head and down your back.
You start from the front of your head? But doesn't that add your head inches? :confused: Can anyone clarify this for me?

silverjen
May 23rd, 2011, 07:40 PM
It does add inches, but I feel that it also makes the measuring easier and more consistent. Imagine trying to find your longest strand, pulling it straight, and trying to measure from your scalp!

jojo
May 23rd, 2011, 09:04 PM
Yes as silverjen stated it does but its consistent, I measure mine from the tip of my widows peak!

@ silverjen nice thick curls in your siggi, loving it!

tinti
May 24th, 2011, 09:44 AM
Yeah, it does add head inches, but, as Silverjen and jojo said, it's more consistent. But, it's not that consistent. When I measured right after my big chop in April it said 60 cm, and now when I measured it said 57,5. I don't know what to believe, I just know that I don't trust the measuring tape too much. It's just a nice indicator on how long your hair is.

ETA & OT: Jojo, nice (sock?)bun!!

Night_Kitten
May 25th, 2011, 07:09 AM
Like everyone before me said, it does add to the length, but the measurement is more consistent that way, because it's an easy and permanent (usually) spot to measure from, and you measure from the same spot everytime (while trying to find the exact same spot in the middle of the head each time you measure is much harder)

Copasetic
May 25th, 2011, 07:33 AM
It doesn't really add length. If you measured from the base of your neck, you would be cutting off all the hairs that start at the front of your hairline.

RuLueashk
May 25th, 2011, 08:33 AM
As a newbie, I'm finding the numbers don't give me a mental image. I personally prefer to see the abbreviations and one-word descriptions. Maybe it's because I haven't been one to measure my hair? Other than: Long enough for mini-tails? Cool. Long enough for a ponytail? Good. Long enough for braids? Yay! Long enough for a bun on top of my head? Wow! How did THAT happen?

Also, xx" might be waist length on me but TBL on somebody else.

Lilli
May 25th, 2011, 08:51 AM
I see that some people here don't follow that rule b/c their measurement will be shorter than mine and yet they have BSL hair.

spidermom
May 25th, 2011, 09:28 AM
Although I measured from the same spot at the front of my hair line each time, I found the results to be very inconsistent. Therefore, I go by body markers: shoulder, mid-shoulderblade, etc. That's what other people see, not "oh what lovely 34-1/2 inch hair."

xoerincolleen
May 25th, 2011, 09:35 AM
I see that some people here don't follow that rule b/c their measurement will be shorter than mine and yet they have BSL hair.

Height is a factor- I'm 5'1" and 28 inches on me is waist, but on a tall person, it might be BSL, just as an example.

Becky Safari
May 25th, 2011, 09:37 AM
The measuring method is true if your hemline is straight across, then you are assuming that the hairs that do start at the widow's peak are the longest ones on your head and meet at the same point as the rest to where you are measuring.

I also use body markers officially, but I measure simply to track growth, not label it. Just last night after a shower I noticed my hair reached my hips, so I am going to measure after the next shower!

KatiSasha
May 25th, 2011, 10:53 AM
I like body markers too, but I will start using them once I reach APL :) At the moment every half an inch counts :)

cowgirllong
May 25th, 2011, 12:26 PM
I like to see both measurements mentioned. It just gives you an idea of how long someones hair is on them. Just the other day on here, I saw someone's length both ways and realize they are WAY shorter than me. They had hair 3 inches shorter than mine and it was waist length on them. So you put your length up the way you want to.:)

spidermom
May 25th, 2011, 12:29 PM
I like body markers too, but I will start using them once I reach APL :) At the moment every half an inch counts :)

So the next time your hair happens to be wavier than usual that day and you lose half an inch? (happened to me)

pepperminttea
May 25th, 2011, 12:44 PM
I like to see both measurements mentioned. It just gives you an idea of how long someones hair is on them. Just the other day on here, I saw someone's length both ways and realize they are WAY shorter than me. They had hair 3 inches shorter than mine and it was waist length on them. So you put your length up the way you want to.:)

Agreed. It gives an idea of the scale of things, and as a semi-tall person (5'10"), it makes me feel better about how slowly my hair seems to grow between the body markers, compared to someone ten inches shorter than me.

WaterMusic
May 25th, 2011, 07:02 PM

As a PP suggested, this could be partially due to height. The other thing about BSL is that many people have bras that fit incorrectly. The bra band should lie flat, but I see some pictures of people saying that they've hit BSL, but their bra band is way pulled up because it doesn't fit correctly. You can't just hike the band up and say that you're at BSL. Well you can, it's not like it affects the rest of us, but it certainly doesn't change the actual length of your hair.

gthlvrmx
May 25th, 2011, 07:04 PM
Height is a factor- I'm 5'1" and 28 inches on me is waist, but on a tall person, it might be BSL, just as an example.

Sigh, me. It looks short to me when i look in the mirror, and my short friend who's 5 feet flat has 30 inches and is at waist.

jojo
May 25th, 2011, 07:11 PM
Yeah, it does add head inches, but, as Silverjen and jojo said, it's more consistent. But, it's not that consistent. When I measured right after my big chop in April it said 60 cm, and now when I measured it said 57,5. I don't know what to believe, I just know that I don't trust the measuring tape too much. It's just a nice indicator on how long your hair is.

ETA & OT: Jojo, nice (sock?)bun!!

yeah sock the rolled sock bun, so easy! thanks x

jojo
May 25th, 2011, 07:12 PM
It doesn't really add length. If you measured from the base of your neck, you would be cutting off all the hairs that start at the front of your hairline.

i like your way of thinking, very true!

jojo
May 25th, 2011, 07:16 PM

As with me. i am 5 foot 6 yet BSL is 27" and waist is 30" ooooohhh if only I was a shortie id be TB by now!

PianoPlaye
May 26th, 2011, 03:59 PM
I'm so short (at 5'3" and wiggly shaped) that from properly fitting bra strap length to waistband is about another 4". To tailbone however is another 12". So I quite like both description & tape measure, one to inform, one to inspire!

Guenhwyvar
May 26th, 2011, 04:07 PM
wow I have been measuring wrong! 30' instead of 26'.

I feel better even though I know my hair is not really any longer xD

Also i'm 5.2...

Lux88
May 26th, 2011, 07:27 PM

Good point!

Lux88
May 26th, 2011, 07:28 PM
I'm so short (at 5'3" and wiggly shaped) that from properly fitting bra strap length to waistband is about another 4". To tailbone however is another 12". So I quite like both description & tape measure, one to inform, one to inspire!

I like how you say you're "so short" 5'4 is considered the height of the average woman.. I am 4'11 !!! I would kill to be 5'3, that's not short! lol

christine1989
May 26th, 2011, 07:33 PM
With my hair type/textureI find it eaiser (and more accurate) to measure from root to end on a section of hair. I know just about where my longest hairs are and measure from the same spot each time so it has been working for me so far. Eventually it will become too long to measure that way and I'll have to convert to the "typical" measurment method :(.

PianoPlaye
May 27th, 2011, 05:04 PM
Lux88!, "so short" is *so* short when the rest of the household are either not yet teens or around 6'. It's all relative & all my relatives tower over me by at least 8 inches. Even the youngest grandchild outgrew me, & I was her mum's bridesmaid... Means the boys are being trained to Sit when told to.
What got me was if you are half your adult height aged 2, I was *supposed* to be 5'6". Dio but I had to use full Self Control when the plaster room tech showed me my latest Xray (I was one clumsy brat) & explained I'd stopped growing, aged 12, at 5'2". Despite my short gene, all three of my lads are booked to find doorframes a bit of a chore. Still, I can hide stuff (chocolate, conditioner, other treats) in low cupboards easily then. :D

jaine
May 27th, 2011, 05:16 PM
I like body marker measurements much better (shoulder, APL, BSL, waist, hip, tailbone, thigh, knee, calf, ankle, floor). That's the only way I can visualize how long someone's hair is.

Shoga
May 27th, 2011, 05:37 PM
This thread TOTALLY cleared up my questions about measuring lol, that's why I had been avoiding measuring because I didn't understand it. Thanks guys!! :D

So I just measured 3 times and got 30 inches each time. Need 7 more inches to meet my current goal.

Lux88
May 27th, 2011, 08:14 PM
Lux88!, "so short" is *so* short when the rest of the household are either not yet teens or around 6'. It's all relative & all my relatives tower over me by at least 8 inches. Even the youngest grandchild outgrew me, & I was her mum's bridesmaid... Means the boys are being trained to Sit when told to.
What got me was if you are half your adult height aged 2, I was *supposed* to be 5'6". Dio but I had to use full Self Control when the plaster room tech showed me my latest Xray (I was one clumsy brat) & explained I'd stopped growing, aged 12, at 5'2". Despite my short gene, all three of my lads are booked to find doorframes a bit of a chore. Still, I can hide stuff (chocolate, conditioner, other treats) in low cupboards easily then. :D

I guess that's true, eh?! I didn't really think of it like that, it's all relative to who's around you and how tall THEY are I suppose! If you're around very tall people all the time you would definitely feel very short!