PDA

View Full Version : Tried Cassia...Didn't like it

heatherbelle
May 23rd, 2011, 05:35 PM
Ok, I tried the cassia treatment on my hiar today. Was not too thrilled with the results. For one my hair seemed to suck up all the moisture out of the cassia mixture so fast that I had such a hard time getting it in my hair. It took a very long time to get it out of my hair, lots of rinsing and 3 shampoo's. After, my hair felt dry, like straw, so I did a oil blend of Olive Oil, Coconut Oil and Caster Oil with some rosemary eo. I left that in my hair for about 4 hours. Is that normal with the cassia treatment?

alyanna
May 23rd, 2011, 06:28 PM
Ok, I tried the cassia treatment on my hiar today. Was not too thrilled with the results. For one my hair seemed to suck up all the moisture out of the cassia mixture so fast that I had such a hard time getting it in my hair. It took a very long time to get it out of my hair, lots of rinsing and 3 shampoo's. After, my hair felt dry, like straw, so I did a oil blend of Olive Oil, Coconut Oil and Caster Oil with some rosemary eo. I left that in my hair for about 4 hours. Is that normal with the cassia treatment?

Hi!

It's too bad your first cassia treatment didn't go as well as you had hoped. But, what you describe seems normal. It takes a few tries to get used to how cassia or henna for that matter behaves. And it takes a few tries to get the right mix of cassia + other things. I know of a lot of people who say it dries their hair and it does take some work getting it out of the hair.

I've always had great experiences with henna, but my cousin's grandmother was always the one to create the mix and she was a seasoned user. Next time, try mixing it with a bit of oil, conditioner, or yogurt. And you could try oiling your hair beforehand. The first wash your hair might feel dry but after a couple of moisturizing washes (CO or heavy conditioner/mask on the ends) your hair should stabilize and be better than before. It is a "treatment" in a way and it could overwhelm your hair. Like after a protein treatment, my hair feels like straw, but after a good conditioning, my hair's better than before.

It is a pain to wash out. You need a shower with good pressure, warmer/hot water.

Don't give up though! I really believe in henna and cassia and believe it's an amazing protectant for the hair and gives great shine. You just have to get used to it. But definitely give it a chance :blossom:

MistyF
May 23rd, 2011, 06:54 PM
When I did cassia, I only left it on for about an hour. Then I would use a conditioner for the first rinse instead of shampoo. The cassia seemed to come out fairly well with the conditioner. Then I would shampoo and condition again.

celebriangel
May 23rd, 2011, 07:06 PM
If your hair seemed to suck the moisture out of the mix, I would either put more water in your cassia mix, or apply the cassia to damp hair. Then what you described won't happen.

Cassia treatments often make your hair feel residue-y for a few days, or until your next wash, and they can make your hair feel dryer because they are a protein treatment. So you need to do a DT afterwards; a member here does an SMT directly afterwards. Doing this, since it entails a conditioner soak and another rinse, helps get the remainder of the mix out of your hair.

For cassia, since I assume you wanted the conditioning and not the colouring benefits, can also definitely be mixed with conditioner (conefree) in whichever ratio you like. This will make rinsing easier; also, once you have rinsed, work in handfuls of conditioner and rinse again. Repeat lots. This will help get all the cassia out of your hair.

jojo
May 23rd, 2011, 07:15 PM
My hair was strawy for the first few days and then it went wonderfully soft and shinny. Bit like henna really the trick is to wash it out with handfuls of cheap conditioner and no shampoo for best results.

luthein
May 23rd, 2011, 07:33 PM
I had the exact same reaction my first time. You're excited to rinse out the goop, and as you run your hands through your hair, you go.....whose head of hair is this?!

It'll calm down. It's really grippy/grabby, right? Here's my experience. I left it alone for two days in a bun, then did a deep oiling. I left it in as long as I could stand it, and gently CWC'd. Others recommend SMTs and other moisturizing treatments to deliver much-needed moisture to the hair. I did what I knew would work. I was tempted to try a SMT, but since I never concocted one, I didn't know how my hair would react.

In the end, it didn't really impart any conditioning benefits, only a color deposit. I couldn't wait for my hair to stop freaking the heck out. Keep us posted on how the recovery goes.

Lisa R
May 23rd, 2011, 07:34 PM
I'm sorry it was a pain.

I have only used it once and thought it made my hair nice and shiny. It did feel a little dry for a few days but it gets back to normal.

I made the mixture with just a little bit of warm water. I used 50grams of Cassia for my fine/thin armpit length hair. The consistency was like mashed potato's or custard. It was easy to apply. I guess if a person doesn't add enough water or fluid it would be pretty hard to apply to the hair.

If you have a bath - lay down in the bath and get most of the mixture out that way before jumping into the shower:)

Good luck next time. I hope you do try it again!

Jeni
May 23rd, 2011, 10:04 PM
Cassia is tricky I think when you first get into it. You have to figure out what to add (or not add) to your mix, whether you should apply to wet or dry or damp hair, how long to leave it in, how to rinse it out and what to do with it after.

FWIW I have found that applying to damp or wet hair is easier (or me) and just gives me better results

My hair is always crazy- grabby to the point of being attack hair- for a day or 2 after cassia. It calms down though and then its lovely.

I rinse my hair out with lots of conditioner until its mostly gone then shampoo. For me shampooing has been the only thing that will get all the cassia out of my hair. I then condition again (possibly twice) and add a leave in. I use to do a SMT right after the final rinse but Ive been lazy lately.

Give your hair a few days (and maybe a deep conditioning treatment) see if that helps. You should know soon if cassia is something that your hair likes. Its completely possible your hair my just not like it...

heatherbelle
May 25th, 2011, 06:27 AM
Whew! it seems my experience with the cassia was completely normal! Thanks ladies for all the info and advice. Last night I did a CO rinse on my hair and it felt much better. Today I am kinda having a frizzy day due to the curls being curls and having their own way. Oh well. Tomorrow will be a shampoo day, hopefully by then things will relax out a bit. However, my hair is silky soft and shiney today! I like that! Just a little less frizz for me though. LOL I need to post some picutes, if I can ever get any taken.

Delila
May 25th, 2011, 07:27 AM
Glad you're not so unhappy today.

When I cassia, things go a lot easier if either a) my hair is damp (freshly washed) or b) the cassia mix is quite soupy. (or both, LOL!)

Hair can soak up a lot of water, so the whole process works more smoothly if you've added some extra in to begin with, one way or another.

Also, as others have said, using a lot of conditioner will help get the excess off your hair more quickly.

Annibelle
May 30th, 2011, 08:44 AM
I've got a cassia question... I've heard that, unlike henna, it actually makes your hair curlier instead of straighter. Is that true???

LaceyNg
May 30th, 2011, 07:05 PM
*listens*

i have some cassia waiting to go in my hair now, so i guess i'll find out soon!

interestingly, going 'cone free has made my hair straighter, and i'd always heard that it would make it wavier! we'll see if cassia has any effect :)

heatherbelle
June 1st, 2011, 05:24 AM
Ok, first off, ever since the cassia treatment my hair is shiny and glossy!! LOVE IT! As to the curly questions. Here is what happened to me. A few days before I did my cassia treatment I went to get all my damaged ends cut off. I have curly (soft ringlets) and I had an amazing hair dresser that was awesome with cutting curly hair. She retired back in October and I had not had a hair cut since. So, this time I tried to find someone that was good with curly hair. Turned out the woman was not and I had chopped half straight hald curlly slightly wavy hair! I was so bummed about that because I loved my curls. Anyhoo, back to the cassia. Ever since my cassia treatment (and the fact that I no longer blow fry my hair or use chemical coloring anymore) my curls are making a come back!!! :joy: