PDA

View Full Version : hair type me! W/pics

ALYSSA
May 23rd, 2011, 03:11 PM
i never reallly knew my hair type i just know its not thick? or thin? i have got mixed resluts from family and friends but none of them know much about hair..i currently think i am at waist? this is my natural texture. my hair is straight but in my (album) pics my hair always has braid waves because i sleep with braids ..any ways..Can you help me out? hair type me! :) thank you in advance:D

here are some pics:
http://s1102.photobucket.com/albums/g441/ashleypaws/?action=view&current=135529.jpg

http://s1102.photobucket.com/albums/g441/ashleypaws/?action=view&current=135651.jpg

Annie Fulton
May 23rd, 2011, 03:15 PM
It's kind of hard to tell the thickness of your hair, but it looks like it's medium to me. Not too thick, not too thin. That's what mine is. Your strands also look like they are pretty fine. And I'd say your definitely at waist and your getting pretty close to hip.

Firefox7275
May 23rd, 2011, 03:18 PM
Have you conditioned and combed your hair in those pictures? It looks beautiful, but not washed and drip dried. :o

spidermom
May 23rd, 2011, 03:22 PM
These pictures look like 1B to me, ii thickness, and hip length. I can't tell about the texture because you'd have to feel an individual hair to determine that. A fine hair is difficult to feel, a medium hair feels like a thread, and a coarse hair will be somewhat bumpy feeling.

ALYSSA
May 23rd, 2011, 03:22 PM
wow really? im getting close to hip?? i forgetmy length some times because i always have it braided... yes i used some conditioner when i washed and i know your not supposed to to hair type yourself but i felt weird not using it. I barley finger combed my hair when it dried i hope this helps i really want to know my hair type

ALYSSA
May 23rd, 2011, 03:30 PM
wow really hip? this is crazy i cant believe my hair HAS been growing and i didnt even notice it...it just snuck up on me :) i can deffinatly feel each strand but its not coarse would that be medium ? thank you for your replies!

torrilin
May 23rd, 2011, 03:32 PM
Thickness is easy. Make a ponytail. Measure the circumference (so the whole way 'round). Figure out if it is 5cm/2" or less, between 5cm/2" and 10cm/4", or more than 10cm/4". If it's the smallest group, it's a i, if it is in the middle, it's a ii, and if it is the biggest group, then it is a iii. This part of your type is most useful for helping you figure out what hairstyles will work for you. The more hair you have, the harder it is to do complex hairstyles, and the longer your hair needs to be. The thinner your hair, the more easily you can do complex hairdos.

The tricky part of hair typing for most people is the texture. The range of hair from straight to curly is not very well defined, and figuring out exactly how much curl you have or don't have is a pretty fuzzy thing. Add in that fine hair can have super-fragile curls, and coarse hair can be quite easy to accidentally curl and it gets tricky. That's why it is important to check for hair type on hair that has been washed and air dried with as little handling as possible.

From your pictures, it looks like you're a 1. So your hair is straight, and you probably can't quite understand why someone might want a straightener or a flat iron.

spidermom
May 23rd, 2011, 03:35 PM
You can definitely use conditioner for a hair type picture. Whoever is saying "don't use conditioner" is wrong. Just don't comb it after you've rinsed it. That's the most important part.

With no conditioner, my hair would be a combination of knotted/matted up and floating on the breeze. It would be impossible to see it's natural texture. To get my hair type picture, I combed conditioner through, rinsed, then let my hair dry without doing anything else.

ALYSSA
May 23rd, 2011, 03:37 PM
i can understand why people would want to flat iron what i dont understand is why i used to flat iron my hair! i really regret it ,but my hair is much healthier these days ..i dont have any thing to measure my circumfrence with is there any houshold items i can use or another way i can determane my texture?

ALYSSA
May 23rd, 2011, 03:46 PM
@ spidermom
haha i enjoy your sense of humor! should i not have finger combed a little?

jojo
May 23rd, 2011, 03:48 PM
you are way past waist and definitely at hip! id say 1b and guess at medium thickness but the only way to do is measure the circumference. lovely shine!

annieangel149
May 23rd, 2011, 03:53 PM
just do a rough measurement with your thumb and first finger! then measure your finger and thumb with a tape measure! i think you have my type hair which is 1a/M/ii :D

ALYSSA
May 23rd, 2011, 03:53 PM
@ jojo
thank you! i dnt have anything to measure my circumfrence with is there another way i can do this? or any household items? thank you for your reply :)

ALYSSA
May 23rd, 2011, 04:02 PM
i think my circumfrence is a little over two inches i tried using my finger and thumb and them tape measure hmm so am I ii? im so happy i am either a 1a/b? Medium for sure and ii? i hope im at hip! it feels surreal to me
@ annieangel149
ooohh yay a hair twin! put up some pics! :)

ALYSSA
May 23rd, 2011, 04:11 PM
i think my circumfrence is a little over two inches i tried using my finger and thumb and them tape measure hmm so am I ii? im so happy i am either a 1a/b? Medium for sure and ii? i hope im at hip! it feels surreal to me
@ annieangel149
ooohh yay a hair twin! put up some pics! :)

vintage88
May 23rd, 2011, 04:16 PM
just wanted to say your hair is so beautiful :) I have dark hair too and wish it was as long and shiny as yours!

ALYSSA
May 23rd, 2011, 04:21 PM
aww thank you so much! that was very nice of you :) that really put a smile on my face i always feel so unhappy with my hair

spidermom
May 23rd, 2011, 04:24 PM
Finger combing may have affected the texture somewhat. To get the most accurate idea of what kind of hair you have, no - don't even finger comb. Let your hair do what it's going to do.

But knowing your type really isn't all that crucial. I think we can be pretty sure that your hair is going to remain a 1. Perhaps you have a bit more wave, but if it combs out that easily - no big. You're a straightie.

danacc
May 23rd, 2011, 04:29 PM
I'd say 1b, hip length. I see some definite body wave. 1a is straight all the way down.

You can also use a piece of ribbon, string, yarn, or thread to determine circumference, and then measure how much was used to wrap around. That would probably be a little more precise than trying to measure finger/thumb.

ALYSSA
May 23rd, 2011, 04:30 PM
i will deffinatly try letting my hair air dry Without finger combing for more accurate results. yup,unfortunatly my hair is straight id kill for some waves!

ALYSSA
May 23rd, 2011, 04:34 PM
@ danacc thank you that was very helpful! (:

ALYSSA
May 23rd, 2011, 05:02 PM
soo.. my hair is 1b/M/ii? any one agree? disagree? wooohoo it feels good to FINALLY know my hair type thank you so much!

ALYSSA
May 23rd, 2011, 07:59 PM
@ vintage88
thank you! :)

jojo
May 23rd, 2011, 08:53 PM
@ jojo
thank you! i dnt have anything to measure my circumfrence with is there another way i can do this? or any household items? thank you for your reply :)
use whatever tape you measure your hair with. I actually got mine free from a bra fitting site! wish i could remember the name of it now but you can get tapes fairly cheap. Just put your hair in a high pony or low pony and measure round the top part, not over the bobble, just over it. Put your hair the same hight pony each time to compare, your hair looks about the same thickness as mine. Mine measures 4.5" at its thickest but it gets thinner on the ends!

iluvmurphie
May 24th, 2011, 06:50 PM
Beautiful hair!
For hair typing, are you supposed to just wet your hair (not shampoo) and drip dry?

ALYSSA
May 24th, 2011, 07:05 PM
Beautiful hair!
For hair typing, are you supposed to just wet your hair (not shampoo) and drip dry?
thank you so much!! :) hmm.. to be honest im not sure i washed my hair with my regular shampoo and conditioned..and finger comed a teeny tiny bit and air dryed.i was told your not supposed to comb you hair once your rinse the conditioner out (if you use conditioner) but you CAN comb it while theres conditoiner in it...i hope that helps..?