PDA

View Full Version : I need to STOP highlighting....

DreamingLong
June 18th, 2008, 06:51 PM
It's bad for my hair and I pay way to much!!! $150.00!! So I went to the drug store tonight to buy some color, to try to get it back to my natural color. What do you think, I am nervous because everytime I have done box color in the past, my hair turns darker or red. I just want my light brown hair back.

Curlsgirl
June 18th, 2008, 06:55 PM
Go to the salon to get your color back. It will only take a couple of times and they'll do it right. Trust me, it's worth it.

Silver Grace
June 18th, 2008, 07:51 PM
Having been down this particular road, I can speak with some authority: don't try this at home. Get thee to a salon and ask them to match your natural colour as closely as possible. As Curlsgirl says, the salon will do it right and then you can say goodbye to them forever!

LadyMoon11
June 18th, 2008, 08:00 PM
It's bad for my hair and I pay way to much!!! $150.00!! So I went to the drug store tonight to buy some color, to try to get it back to my natural color. What do you think, I am nervous because everytime I have done box color in the past, my hair turns darker or red. I just want my light brown hair back.
I third the salon suggestion. The lightened sections will not take color the same as the other areas of your hair. In addition, ashy colors can be very hard to do, being as you usually need to use a toner to reduce the reddish tones. The 'boxed" color does not have specific peroxide %, which is very important for color correction.
Good luck! I hope you can get close to your natural color as you wish.:)

Teresa9000
June 18th, 2008, 08:05 PM
I would suggest going to the salon as well. But if you decide not to, a few years ago I put highlights in my brown hair (which is a lot lighter than it looks in any of my pictures) and used toner to cover the highlights after my roots started showing. Toner just tints the hair between washes, and over time the tint stays in more and more. If I can throw out brand names here, I used Fanciful from Wal-Mart. I think it's Clairol.

DreamingLong
June 18th, 2008, 08:24 PM
I really don't want to spend the money right now to go to a salon, which I know is the smartest thing to do. So I did it, I only left it on 10 minutes instead of the 25 minutes they wanted me to. The results.............not bad at all, I can still see some highlights, but know they are toned way down and I think I can live with the small difference there will be between this and my natural color.:)

Curlsgirl
June 18th, 2008, 08:29 PM
I really don't want to spend the money right now to go to a salon, which I know is the smartest thing to do. So I did it, I only left it on 10 minutes instead of the 25 minutes they wanted me to. The results.............not bad at all, I can still see some highlights, but know they are toned way down and I think I can live with the small difference there will be between this and my natural color.:)

Glad it worked well for you!!!!

Katze
June 19th, 2008, 02:11 AM
so I'm curious, is it just the cost that bothers you or the damage to your hair?

I ask as a former bleach junkie who could never grow her hair long. When I went to drugstore dyes/bleach it just got worse. I have fine hair (you haven't posted your hairtype, this does make a difference) so it can't take as much as other peoples' can. The moral of the story? I'd rather have long, natural hair.

There are quite a few members here who use dye, chemical and plant-based, BUT - as the previous posters mention - in order to preserve the health of their hair, they go to a professional.

At the end of the day it's your hair and your decision - do you want it long? then it needs to be healthy. So either no color or salon color. Do you want DIY color? Then you probably won"t be able to get your hair very long. There is a lot of discussion around this issue here but that's basically it in a nutshell.

hth

justgreen
June 19th, 2008, 07:48 AM
Dang! I could go for highlights three different times for what you've been paying for one visit! I concur with everyone else, let a professional get you the right color back that you want.

jojo
June 21st, 2008, 04:18 PM
and theres always henna!

minkstole
June 21st, 2008, 04:47 PM
Have some lowlights put in, so you can ajust to the darker colour. Good luck.

atlantaz3
June 21st, 2008, 07:25 PM
Dang! I could go for highlights three different times for what you've been paying for one visit! I concur with everyone else, let a professional get you the right color back that you want.

I want to live where you live - I paid $120 for my last highlight visit.