PDA

View Full Version : Problem; two types, one mane!

Imeera
May 23rd, 2011, 12:02 PM
Hello everyone! I have long hair, but I have two types of hair. The ends to the middle of my hair is dry, but my roots to middle is oily. The middle is kind of normal, but more dry than oily. So how do I manage it? I can't go two days without washing my roots, but I don't wash my ends with shampoo at all, just conditioner. I love my long hair, but is there anything I can do do help even them out? I know it must be because my hair is long and the natural oils don't reach the ends. So I use coconut oil on the ends of my hair, which helps but doesn't solve it!
Does anyone know of anything to solve this?
Thank you everyone!

ashke50
May 23rd, 2011, 12:12 PM
I found that the roots of my hair got less oily when I changed to a non SLS shampoo - that might help you? It means I can leave it slightly longer between washings.

Roscata
May 23rd, 2011, 12:36 PM
I found that the roots of my hair got less oily when I changed to a non SLS shampoo - that might help you? It means I can leave it slightly longer between washings.

It was the same for me. I went from washing my hair every other day to washing it twice per week after I stopped using SLS shampoos.

Washing and rinsing my hair with cold water really helped too (Making washes more cleansing (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=77)).

Also not applying conditioner to my roots (only applying it to my length).

Good luck! :D

spidermom
May 23rd, 2011, 01:02 PM
You could try bagging your length and holding it out of the way while you wash your scalp (not easy but can be done). I've been experimenting with keeping my length dry more often because there is such a thing as water damage and limiting how often you get your hair wet is the only cure.

McFearless
May 23rd, 2011, 01:08 PM
CO washing! Check out the thread: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=2898 It might be the solution to your problem. You can wash your hair as often as you want to avoid greasy roots, but your ends won't dry out.

Lux88
May 23rd, 2011, 02:14 PM
CO washing! Check out the thread: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=2898 It might be the solution to your problem. You can wash your hair as often as you want to avoid greasy roots, but your ends won't dry out.

I might actually give this a shot too.. I'm currently doing CSC but I find my roots get greasy quickly no matter what I do and I hate that look!

growingpains
May 23rd, 2011, 02:52 PM
Yes CO washing is great for dry ends and to achieve a clean scalp.

ALso using a boar bristle brush might be helpful to help distribute oils.

In addition to your oiling you may also want to use a leave in conditioner.

McFearless
May 23rd, 2011, 02:59 PM
I might actually give this a shot too.. I'm currently doing CSC but I find my roots get greasy quickly no matter what I do and I hate that look!

I've never had a transition period but some people say they need to give their hair time to adjust. Sometimes you have to wash less often to give your scalp a chance to curb the oil production. If you shampoo often with SLS, your scalp might be producing the oil to combat dryness even if it isn't needed.

But yeah, CO is great. You have to experiment with different conditioners. Cone free is the best way to go on your scalp to avoid irritation and because cones aren't needed on the scalp. Depending on you hair you may or may not need cones on the length. :)

Firefox7275
May 23rd, 2011, 04:21 PM
Batiste dry shampoo for oily roots, CO-washing instead of sulphate shampoo, cold rinses, leave-in instead of wash out conditioner for the dry ends. :)