PDA

View Full Version : I let it air dry. . mostly (with pictures)

ashamanjababu
May 23rd, 2011, 11:48 AM
Last night I applied coconut oil and olive oil melted together, from the shoulders down, wrapped it in a cloth secured with elastics. This morning when I unwrapped it was SO soft and calm and nice, if a little sticky from the oil. I shampooed and conditioned as usual, but maybe I overdid the shampoo because I think I just stripped every drop of that nice oil out of my length.

I don't usually let it air dry; I bun it up wet because I just don't have the time. Today I wrapped it in a dry towel on my head for about 5 minutes, then combed, then changed to a fresh dry towel and left it for about 15 min, then bunned. About 2 hours later, on a walk with my daughter, I unpinned on a whim because the breeze was feeling so nice. It was still quite wet, but by the time I got home (20 min) it was much drier, just a little damp. It had also turned into a giant poofball, which I share for your amusement.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u46/ashamanjababu/real%20life/hair2-1.jpg

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u46/ashamanjababu/real%20life/hair1.jpg?t=1306172863

It's a lot poofier than I would want it if I had my way. I think I may be a curly girl in denial. I snapped these super-quick pics than bunned it right back up because it was all over my face and making me crazy.

FluffSpider
May 23rd, 2011, 12:04 PM
Awww! those pictures are so cute!
Perhaps just apply a drop or two of oil on your dried hair-almond is my fave thus far, it's very light, and leaves the hair incredibly smooth.
@ curly in denial: let it air-dry once without messingwith it in any way. If you have waves/curls-yes, you're in denial. If it's straight, it was probably the damp bunning and fluffing due to the wind

Wavelin
May 23rd, 2011, 12:25 PM
O, loong hair and such a nice brown colour! :heartbeat
You do look like a curly girl :) But that's a good thing right!? :cheese:

Maaaaybe you could do a pic without brushing/combing next time? :pray: It would be so fun to see the curls!

I'm just a wavy girl but I get a lot of poof if I comb/brush at all after the shower.
My best wave enhancers is:
-brushing before shower
-washing, and then fingercombing with conditioner
-leave in a few drops of conditioners and squeezing out the eccsess water
-plopping/plunking with an old long armed t-shirt, and after an hour or so, carefully removing the t-shirt and letting it airdry without touching it.

Taa daa, curls!

spidermom
May 23rd, 2011, 12:27 PM
I think you're a curly girl!

jojo
May 23rd, 2011, 12:29 PM
You are most definably in the 3 curly catagory without a doubt and I love your poof!

SparrowFlock
May 23rd, 2011, 12:42 PM
Oh my, your hair looks exactly like mine does after I brush it at night. You are not alone in having super poofy hair! That being said, I love how thick and brown your hair looks; I am envious.

Firefox7275
May 23rd, 2011, 12:59 PM
There is no way your hair is 2a/b you are definitely hiding gorgeous 3 curls! :D Conditioner washing is apparently more effective at removing oil than shampoo and of course less stripping. My wurls are loving Fructis Triple Nutrition conditioner as a leave-in, it's reasonably high in palm oil so multi-tasks with conditioning, defining curls AND calming poof.

lacefrost
May 23rd, 2011, 09:06 PM
You're a total curly girl! Your hair is all boom! I love it! It reminds me of the pics in this thread: Curlies: brush your hair! (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?p=153447) I do love some brushed out hair, can't lie.

Hotrox
May 23rd, 2011, 09:20 PM
What beautiful length and colour

For sure there is a curly haired girl under all the poof, I would also guess in the 3's

You have to experiment with the curly girl method, its a shame to be hiding all the beautiful curl potential. Don't kill the curls!

luthein
May 23rd, 2011, 09:32 PM
VOLUMINOUSNESS! It's awesome.

It looks like you could have a very versatile curl type at your disposal...from ringlets to incredibly defined waves.

Kyla
May 23rd, 2011, 09:32 PM
The poof may bother you, but I have to say, I am so envious of your hair. :)

WittyWordsmith
May 23rd, 2011, 09:36 PM
You are totally a curly girl!! I think if you adapted the right methods, your hair care would be much easier than it is now, trying to tame all that amazing body.

I love your length! My word your hair is great!

Roseate
May 23rd, 2011, 09:45 PM
I think you've at least got some wurls in there! I know my hair poofs up like mad if I go out in the wind while it's drying. Come tiptoe through the wavy and wurly thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=31563) sometime!

NouvelleNymphe2
May 23rd, 2011, 11:41 PM
What a beautiful thick curly head of long hair!!! :D

ericthegreat
May 24th, 2011, 12:26 AM
You are definitely a curly girl! That amount of poof isn't just from frizz alone, you've got strong natural curls there. What you should do if you want to bring out your curls and make them look more defined is to use a lot more leave-in product in your hair. Use a styling cream or a gel (try to find an alcohol-free gel) and apply that all over your hair while its still damp. Then scrunch your hair a little bit to make the curls and after that just leave your hair alone..........don't touch it any further or you will disturb the curl formation. Let it naturally air-dry that way and you will get gorgeous curls/waves!

Debra83
May 24th, 2011, 12:46 AM
Wavy/Wurly/Curly for sure!!!!!

I second Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition Conditioner (and it has no cones)!!! I CWC with it and use it as a leave in as well!!!

Don't forget to show us pics of your curls when you find them....AND WELCOME to the site!!! :D

Lippytoes
May 24th, 2011, 01:44 AM
I agree - your hair definitely seems curly to me! And even when poofy, it looks amazing. Wow. :)

ashamanjababu
May 24th, 2011, 05:10 AM
Wow, thank you, everyone, for such amazingly sweet responses!

My only problem with not combing is that I wear it up almost every day, and I like to detangle before I put it up; that and the fact that I have a hard time making the time to let it dry 'properly.'

Thank you again!

Una
May 24th, 2011, 05:36 AM
Also like to add how gorgeous your hair is! Looks like it is from a John Waterhouse painting! Lovely :)

celebriangel
May 24th, 2011, 06:14 AM
My 2c (*very* 2c - with spirals from the collarbones down, so it's heading in the 3a direction) looks like that exactly when brushed! It also goes wavy (more 2a) if I damp bun so I understand why you missed them.

Detangle with conditioner in the shower, apply a leave-in (I wouldn't use any kind of commercial gel; coconut oil works well enough for me, but many curlies love pure aloe vera gel, sometimes on its own, sometimes mixed with oil) and DON'T TOUCH IT TILL IT'S DRY.

I found, also, that going conefree *really* brought out my curl pattern. Try a clarify then conefree condish with the above method to see if it works for you. I find, as a curly, that I can get away with a fairly rich, moisturising conditioner, as long as it's conefree, then it doesn't leave any residue.

A dilute lemon rinse is also said to bring out curls; I haven't tried it yet and tend to use whatever kind of vinegar, but I think any acidic rinse helps with frizz so your curl pattern emerges better.

You can also try "plopping" - google it. I don't bother if I want curls, I just air-dry, but it might help you see just how curly you can get!

PS: I wet comb - or rather wet tangle teeze - if I want to wear my hair up until the next wash. Special treatment is reserved for when I want to wear it down. Combing isn't too bad, though, it's brushing that really decimates curly hair.

Dina L.
May 24th, 2011, 08:53 AM
I think you have curly hair. Have you tried not to comb after washing?

dulce
May 24th, 2011, 10:46 AM
If I airdry outside in the wind, I also get tons of frizz.Try airdrying inside but no exercise videos[or anything where you get overheated] just read,watch tv, or do work on the computer.It makes a real difference .

Roseate
May 24th, 2011, 11:05 AM
My only problem with not combing is that I wear it up almost every day, and I like to detangle before I put it up; that and the fact that I have a hard time making the time to let it dry 'properly.'

I have the same issues; for me wearing my hair down and curly is something I do only occasionally. But it's a pretty cool trick to have in my pocket!

ashamanjababu
May 24th, 2011, 11:09 AM
. . . just read,watch tv, or do work on the computer.

Since my primary job is chasing my almost-2-year-old around, it's pretty much impossible for me to set aside a quiet couple hours to just sit and let my hair dry. I could do it if I woke up at 3:30 am, maybe.

Red_Wednesday
May 24th, 2011, 11:16 AM
Beautiful hair!!! It looks so healthy and thick :love:!!

TheBluffs
May 24th, 2011, 11:42 AM
Curly for sure! :thumbsup: And it's so thick.. :thud:

selderon
May 24th, 2011, 01:05 PM
Definitely more than wavy.

What if you washed your hair just before or just after supper? That should provide more dry time and (possibly) a less active child.