PDA

View Full Version : Unexpected hair compliments

Chetanlaiho
May 23rd, 2011, 04:55 AM
So I was just dozing off in the bus on the way home (not enough sleep + warm bus = me dozing off) when I was tapped on the shoulder by two guys who were sitting behind me. I dress pretty alternatively so I'm used to getting comments on my clothing quite often, most of the time pretty rude ones at that.

Expecting one of those, I turned around but instead of being rude they wanted to know how I kept up my hair like that (I was wearing a French braided bun held up with spin pins). They seemed genuinely interested so I screwed one of the pins out and showed them, they liked it xD After I screwed it back in they asked me if I 'did that myself' (presumably meaning my hairdo) and they seemed quite impressed when I told them that I did ^_^

So of course the first thing I thought of after this occurred was wanting to share it with you guys xD (you know you spent too much time on the LHC when the first person you tell about something that happened is the mane forum ;))

Have any of you ever gotten a compliment in a situation where you didn't expect it? ^^

embee
May 23rd, 2011, 05:10 AM
That's a neat story! :)

So many people in my life have been "helmet hair" that any positive comment on my updo is unexpected. ;) Only a couple of times have I been asked if I'm going to donate my hair. Mostly the comments are like "Oh, my grandma used to wear her hair like that..."

Barniie
May 23rd, 2011, 05:39 AM
Lovely! Especially that they were guys and not embarrassed to compliment your hair ;)

Annibelle
May 23rd, 2011, 06:53 AM
This isn't exactly a compliment, but something interested happened yesterday... I was running errands and, for the first time in years, I was out with my hair down. In one of the stores there was a group of young teenage boys with a little girl, and as I was leaving the store, they were all STARING at me, but definitely not in a bad way. They didn't say anything, so I can't be CERTAIN it was the hair, but I highly doubt it was my laundry-day outfit that caught any attention... hehe. My hair is only a little below waist, but it's still the longest I see 99% of the time in real life...

WaitingSoLong
May 23rd, 2011, 07:39 AM
I posted several months ago about an unusual comment I received from a kindly old man who had watched me take my bun down and re-do it (all in about 10 seconds in a Wal-Mart parking lot) and he approached me and told me he always wondered how women get their hair up like that and that I had pretty hair.

Chetanlaiho
May 23rd, 2011, 08:02 AM
It's so lovely to hear everyone's stories ^^ with the crap we sometimes get for what we do with our hair it's nice to hear the other stories ;)

Once I was putting my hair in a simple gibraltar bun with sticks on the bus, and when I was done I suddenly heard someone say 'beautiful' behind me. So I looked around and there was a very friendly older man who proceeded to tell me how amazing he thought it was that I could put my hair up like that and so efficient as well, it pretty much made my day ^_^

selderon
May 23rd, 2011, 08:49 AM
LOL It's cute how some people think it's beautiful AND like magic.

trillian
May 23rd, 2011, 07:24 PM
I was wearing my hair in a side herringbone braid a few days ago, and went over to visit my parents. (Side note, if anyone has tips to keep flyaways away from said braid, it would be appreciated). Their three year old neighbor and I met for the first time. She look at me and said my hair was different. I said yes, it's a herringbone braid, and held it out so she could see it. She said, and I quote, "It's pretty. Can you do mine like that?"

lacefrost
May 23rd, 2011, 08:01 PM
All these stories make me smile. They're so sweet.

Ava666
May 23rd, 2011, 08:11 PM
At church I get comments about how long my hair has gotten. I teach a class of 3 yr olds, one of them likes just running her hands over my hair esp. when I have it braided. And a four year old in the other class sits behind me and plays with my hair.

A couple weeks ago, I was with some friends, they were getting some food, there was a lady in front of us in line, I just HAD to walk up to her and let her know I thought her hair was beautiful. :)

Shoga
May 23rd, 2011, 08:47 PM
When my grandma was here several months ago she complimented my waves and asked if I did something to make them look like that. It really caught me off guard because I didn't even brush my hair that morning, that was just how my hair was. I honestly thought it was messy and unkept. :o It sure gave me a new "light" on my waves though and I have embrased them since.

CathyEarnshaw
May 23rd, 2011, 08:49 PM
Last week at the dentist, the dental assistant asked me how I got my hair so shiny and healthy. I was so pleased.....I told her about coconut oil : )

owlathena
May 23rd, 2011, 09:21 PM
This morning in one of my classes I put my hair into a low pony, and then on a whim, since it was pretty loose I flipped it into a topsy turvy or whatever pony. I heard two girls behind me gasp and then talk about how cool it was. I pretended not to hear them but I was smiling for the rest of class :D

arc691
May 23rd, 2011, 11:52 PM
http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x472/andrearcolson/My%20Smilies/32556yellowblondglassesLC.gif

Wow, how nice!! Thanks for sharing! (And I agree~ it's funny how we LHCer's always share with each other first LOL)

Blond On Blond
May 24th, 2011, 12:18 AM
My story also involves 2 guys, lol. I was waiting for the bus when I suddenly started to feel my bun becoming loose. It was held up with a stick. I swiftly removed the stick with one hand and shook my hair down to my waist. 2 guys nearby gasped and one of them made a comment "Girrrrrl, that was so AWESOME!" :D

Dark Queen
May 24th, 2011, 12:24 AM
Aww, I just want to say I love reading posts like this :D. In response to OP, I'm also the kind of person to come straight to this form and share when I receive unexpected hair compliments, so you're not alone there hehehe :o

racrane
May 24th, 2011, 02:05 PM
I like reading posts about this, too. In the dressing room getting ready for a show, I had several of my fellow castmates touching my hair marveling at how shiny, healthy and soft it was. That's always nice to hear. :)

tigereye
May 24th, 2011, 02:55 PM
Aww. I love these stories. They're so lovely.:)

My story was when I was at music camp a while ago, and I was sat in the hall to watch some of my roommates in the talent show. All through camp, I wore my hair in various buns, but that night I had it in a cinnabun, held up with a pencil. As I let my roommates past me in the rows of seats to make their way to the stage, one of the guys behind me tapped me on the shoulder and asked me: "Excuse me, but why do you have a pencil in your hair?" I told him that it was because I couldn't find anything else to put it up with, and that we needed a pencil for band practice anyway. He asked how it held it up, so I pulled out the pencil, and my hair, which was somewhere between waist and hip, uncoiled to it's full length.
The guy told me that it was amazing and beautiful.:D I then put it back up again, but I felt like I was on cloud nine all evening. :cloud9:

The next day, one of the drumming tutors joined us in our room to just chat, because she is actually only a couple of years older than the rest of us that were in our room, and it took her a while to recognise me with my english sleep braid in. Then when she realised, she said: "You're the girl who does all those beautiful buns with pencils!" :happydance: (Most of which buns were learnt with help from the LHC, and proper hairsticks ;) )

Some people are just so nice. :D I couldn't put it up at the time, becuase there was no internet to get onto the LHC to tell you all...

GRU
May 24th, 2011, 04:02 PM
There's one lady in a different class who always marvels at my hair whenever we pass in the hallway. We're both nursing students, and we have to have our hair up (and wear scrubs) for clinical and lab days, but we can wear it down (and wear street clothes) on lecture days. She always comments about how she just does not believe that I can get ALL. THAT. HAIR. put up for clinical.

A few weeks back she had stayed over a few minutes from her lab time and was still in there when I went in for my class, and she commented on it again (I had worn my hair down on the way there, and hadn't yet put it up for class). I told her it takes me ten seconds or less, and I offered to prove it to her.

Unfortunately, I had put my hairstick in my left pocket instead of my right pocket, so I scrambled around for about 4-5 seconds trying to get my short little T-Rex right-arm over far enough to my other side to get the stick out of the pocket while holding my bun up with my stubby little T-Rex left-arm, so it took me about 11-12 seconds altogether. ;) Even after watching me do it, she still said, "I don't believe it!"

Maybe I should explain to her that my hair is like whipped cream -- it LOOKS like a lot, but it's really just puffed way out with a bunch of air! :lol:

And I wore my new CrisantiGlass hairstick (http://www.etsy.com/transaction/49648401) to lecture yesterday and got two different compliments on my "hair thingy". I :crush: CrisantiGlass!

lacefrost
May 25th, 2011, 09:34 PM
Omg GRU, that hair stick is AMAZING!!

GRU
May 25th, 2011, 09:48 PM
Omg GRU, that hair stick is AMAZING!!

Thanks lacefrost! I can't wait to see what Joe comes up with next.... he's making an even purpler one just for me. I adore purple, and sparkly purple is even better! :lol: (and don't worry, I'll be squeeing and sharing it here when it arrives!)

HintOfMint
May 25th, 2011, 11:47 PM
These stories are all so sweet!